Start by marking “Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)” as Want to Read:
Flood Tide (Dirk Pitt, #14)

Flood Tide

(Dirk Pitt #14)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  15,604 Ratings  ·  323 Reviews
Following the runaway success of his first nonfiction book, The Sea Hunters, Clive Cussler returns with his legendary fictional hero Dirk Pitt" - in a masterfully crafted tale of villainy on the high seas and the Mississippi River that can only enhance his status as the grand master of adventure fiction.

The coin of the realm for the wealthy, insatiably greedy Chinese smug
Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by Pocket (first published September 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Flood Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flood Tide

Belinda
Aug 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction/adventure junkies
I keep reading Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt stories, even though they drive me up the wall. This one had ALL my Cussler pet peeves:

1.) Dirk Pitt as irresistible, life-altering stud-muffin. Example:

She was put through to his secretary, who informed her that Pitt was out on vacation and had not returned to work yet. Julia hung up the phone and settled her head into the pillows. In some odd manner she felt transformed. Here I am acting like a brazen hussy, she thought, pursuing a man I hardly know. Wh
Eric
Jul 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Die hard fans of Dirk Pitt and/or Clive Cussler
Recommended to Eric by: Lynda Kaemerling
This is the second Dirk Pitt adventure I have read from Clive Cussler. The first, Raise The Titanic!, didn't impress me, but it intrigued me enough to pick up another offering from the author.

Well, after this, I doubt I'll pick up a third. Cussler's writing is downright bad, the plot of the story was so obvious I had it figured out hundreds of pages ahead of time, and the combination of invincibility, luck, wit, and charm of Dirk Pitt was laughable.

All in all it was just too much for me. The se
Glen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dirk Pitt takes a vacation in rustic Washington state. His neighbor is a seemingly paranoid Chinese tycoon, who bought up the whole rest of the lake where Pitt is staying. Pitt starts poking around, and finds that the bottom of the lake is littered with dead bodies, disposed of by the tycoon who is smuggling people into the US.

This leads to a game of one upmanship between Pitt and the Tycoon to find a treasure ship containing all of the stuff Chiang Kai Shek smuggled out of China.

Very exciting.
Corey
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
Another fun and thrilling Dirk Pitt adventure. Flood Tide has Pitt coming up against a Chinese tyrant who is selling illegal immigrants into slavery, and who is also in search of a long lost shipwreck. And we are introduced to Juan Cabrillo, who is the protagonist of the Oregon Files series, which is also written by Cussler, Cabrillo makes a cameo appearance, which I thought was pretty cool.

I realize that since I've been reading the Dirk Pitt series in order, I realize he's getting up there in a
Ramona
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Guys Win

Full of thrills. Great characters, even the bad ones. Unlikely tough guy is hit. Easy to read, hard to put down. The love interest is a great fit too. I'll continue the series.
Eric
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A kind of weird story.
Marc
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book has Chinese stereotypes that make Fu Manchu look like a Nobel laureate. Read if you need something brain dead or if you enjoy "cabin in the woods" stories and don't mind a protagonist that seems physically young but who has the cultural sensitivity of a patriotic, battle-hardened seventy-something fiction author.
David
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. Reality has to be suspended and once you have overcome that this turns into a ripping yarn involving a mad financial megalomaniac. Dirk is almost
an American 007 licenced to kill.
Kate
Oct 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Okay, I got bored and didn't read the last 100 pages. I think I've outgrown my liking for Dirk Pitt, sadly.
Roger Perales
Jun 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008, fiction
I've enjoyed several of Cussler's books, but this one left a bad taste in my mouth with his semi-racist depiction of the Chinese characters in the book.
Nick
Sep 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Nick by: Dad
Shelves: fiction
I think I've found my Kryptonite...
The Usual
Jun 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
If you can get past the inelegant prose (the pool meandered in a circle... Is that even possible?), the way that he mistakes eye-colour for characterisation, the long technical conversations between two people who already know every detail and don't need to discuss them, the assumption that people who have gone through a long and deeply unpleasant journey to escape the tyrannical rule of the Chinese government will want to establish it in the country they've just escaped to, the passages describ ...more
Ailish
Dec 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
A novel with page-turning sequences and lots of dull areas. I did enjoy Cussler's misuse of words and original descriptions. Apart from disliking the hero, I found the 'Yellow Peril' theme, presented as more than a premise for an action adventure, disturbing.

Cultural sensitivity: 'Through the doors of other rooms he could hear the strange, twangy sounds that Orientals call music.'

Yellow Peril: 'Time is on our side. Not only will we erode America from the outside, but with the help of your own co
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my third Drk Pitt novel, and it has been no less entertaining than the others I have read. It's clear that Mr. Cussler did his research, as you can tell by the way he writes cars, boats, and weapons in here - always a big plus for nerds like me. Dirk and Al are their usual smart-aleck selves, which I do enjoy. The main story itself is a bit cliche, but the Dirk Pitt novels have a sort of lightness that is lacking in authors like say, Tom Clancy. Don't get me wrong, I like Tom Clancy, but ...more
Andy
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
The Chinese are coming! Illegally! The coincidences of these books are always maddening. A Chinese industrialist involved in trafficking immigrants to the US needs to be investigated just as Dirk Pitt stumbles upon one of his operations while on vacation. Despite all of that nonsense, Cussler's books are enjoyable mind candy. A little more stupid than Clancy in his prime and probably W.E.B. Griffin but they are fast paced stories that mean less time in front of the tv. Not a bad deal, I guess.
Dr. Alan B. Albarran
Took me a long time to get through this book. I've read most of the Dirk Pitt books by Clive Cussler, and enjoyed most of them. This one is a typical Pitt adventure, but it tends to kind of slog along in parts. Once the plot is fully realized it gets better, with Pitt and his NUMA colleagues stopping another evil madman from conquering a part of the seas and causing mayhem. Good for a beach read or when you want an adventure story, but not the best Pitt adventure for me, hence only three stars.
Patrick
Aug 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Idiots
Wow! This is pure crap. I was amazed at how bad this was. It seems to be written by someone older and more manly than myself.

Approximate quote: "Dirk walked passed the room with the loud noise that the orientals called music."

Clive also implies that the Chinese were flooding America with immigrants as a way to stage an invasion from within. Of course, the heroine is Chinese and sexy.
Cindy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dale-read-to, audio
This was adventure at it's best with this Dirk dude being almost comical in his ability to stay alive. We laughed a lot but it was interesting.
M
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Wow, thought this was going to be a good, light action read. Instead it was a bad, repetitive read with a moderately good action story. Bummer.
Unicornmattgic
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Flood Tide by Clive Cussler
The book starts out by retelling the story of a boat called “The Princess Dou Wan” as it sailed through some rough seas towards Singapore in order to be scrapped. The story recounts how the only survivors of the wreck clambered into a raft and sat in it waiting for the boat to land. They raft does eventually land and the people inside climb out onto the shore. This is the last we hear from this side of the story for quite some time.
The story then transitions over to
Bev Taylor
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
an insatiably greedy chinese businessman is making a fortune - in human lives

chinese immigrants r flooding america for a 2 fold reason. to stem the every growing population in china and also establish a stronghold in the states

qin shang is behind this, along with other lucrative deals and has influence within all the depts in both countries right up to the presidents in both

numa is called in to assist with other govt depts and also find that he has built a huge shipping port in the middle of
Tom Kristan Jr.
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of Clive Cussler's novel FLOOD TIDE

A enjoyable 'escape read'. An interesting concept to alter the flow of the Mississippi river to establish a port which is rather useless. This book did not have many gadgets, which Cussler is known for . It did however ; keep the reader's attention and be quite suspenseful. Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino again perform perfectly and do not disappoint. It is somewhat far-fetched that Dirk is on vacation and recovering from injuries sustained just about 2 weeks
José Ramón
Neil
Some thots while reading:

So happy I discovered 'Terry and the Pirates' a few years ago! Julia's comment about her codename being the 'Dragon Lady' makes so much more sense!

I had forgotten that this novel takes place almost immediately after Shockwave and starts off with Dirk attempting to recuperate in the Oregon/Washington state area. Also like how this novel has more characters from NUMA involved in the plot [even if it ultimately requires Dirk to tie all the loose ends together into a cohere
Ralph Wark
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah reliable James Bond on the sea......

These are my summer reads, entertaining, somewhat predictable, lots of action......I have read many Dirk Pitt books and thay all have essentially the same plot, prologue with mysterious ship wreck, followed by big bad with delusions of world domination with a preposterous plan, soon to be thwarted by a marine engineer.

This one is a bit prescient, with the corrupt administration cozying up to the Chinese who are mass importing illegal immigrants to try to b
Nancy Silk
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Greatest Adventure Stories Ever"

This is the 14th novel in the Dirk Pitt series. I read this many years ago, and now I've read it again as an e-book and I loved it. Clive Cussler invites his readers to join his adventures. There are five parts to this story and each has a goal that takes you from Washington State to Louisiana. Also included is the sunken vessel which is lost with treasures from ancient China. Needless to say more, you'll enjoy the adventures in this story as only Clive Cussler c
Geoff Battle
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cussler has produced some preposterous storylines in the Dirk Pitt series and thankfully Flood Tide is not one of them. Dirk remains as indestructible as ever, this time up against a chinese megalomaniac whose plans are indeed very crafty. The well thought out plot continues to escalate until its grand finale and provides plenty of thrills and spills, a few unlikely coincidences, a little romance, a few villains and lots of spent ammo. A little wordy in places, Flood Tide for the most part is a ...more
Sandy Adams
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dirk Pitt at his best.

Defying death again and again Pitt continues to amaze and entertain. As an avid fan, I have read most of this series but this adventure ends in a way that, well, brought me to tears. We all know that good will win out in these adventures and NUMA will survive along with Dirk who, tough and wily as he is has a soft side that usually wins the heart of the ladies he meets along the way. Without giving anything away, this time he shows his compassionate side.....loved it!
John
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Dirk Pitt adventure which has the added benefit of introducing Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon. Tracking down an international "people smuggling" ring leads Pitt and his cohorts, Rudi Gunn and Al Giordino, from the Pacific Northwest to the Atchafalaya Swamp in Louisiana, and numerous points in between. On the side, they are also tracking a lost Chinese treasure trove, including the bones of the Peking Man. A lot of action, and political double dealing.
Patrick
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read.

Dork Pitt is up to his neck in political warfare that only he gets into. Jeopardy from Chinese billionaire and a U.S. Government filled with takers of dirty money. This novel moves from one area of the world with lightening speed. Pitt finds himself facing a formidable foe and enough red tape to the world with. A great read. 👍👍
looking for a book 2 8 Nov 14, 2017 07:08AM
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
  • Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Bear and the Dragon (Jack Ryan Universe, #11)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
“previous afternoon. His heartbeat increased as he measured his opportunities of escape if he was discovered. They flat didn’t exist. A swimmer stood little chance of outrunning a pair of personal watercraft with a top speed of thirty miles per hour. Unless they were prepared to come after him underwater, all they had to do was outwait him until he exhausted” 0 likes
“lit white tanks of oil refineries and petrochemical plants. “Well,” said Giordino without any particular expression in his voice, “is now a good time for a chorus of ‘Old Man River’?” “The Mississippi,” Pitt muttered. “That’s Baton Rouge to the north across the river. The end of the line. Why dig a canal to this particular spot?” “Who knows what weird machinations lurk in the mind of Qin Shang?” Giordino said philosophically. “Maybe he has plans to access the highway.” “What for? There’s no turnoff. The road shoulder is barely wide enough to hold one car.” 0 likes