Start by marking “Wild Orchids” as Want to Read:
Wild Orchids

Wild Orchids

Since his wife's death, world-famous author Ford Newcombe has lived a solitary life, void of creativity -- or love. Then Jackie Maxwell tears down the walls of his isolated world with her sassy wit and fierce intelligence. Ford's heart is touched by his vivacious assistant -- and his imagination sparked by her knowledge of a strange story that drives them to a small North ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Orchids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Orchids

Vicki
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was the story of Ford Newcombe, and his assistant, Jackie Maxwell. How they met was cute and unexpected. When things fell apart for Jackie, she took his offer for a position as his assistant and went with him.

They moved to the small town Cole Creek that had a story about the devil and a woman. They were both wanting to solve this mysterious tale of meeting with the devil and murder. They were going to see if it had any validity.

Things in this book were a bit crazy, unexpected and even fun
Lillie
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I've read a lot of books in my life, but for some reason this book hit something inside me. It isn't that this book is wonderfully written (because yeah, it is), it isn't that Jude Deveraux is a talented writer (which she is), but there was something in the characters that pulled me in. I fell in love with them. Wild Orchids wasn't exactly the greatest story line I've ever read, but because of these characters this book won me over. It is, and will forever be, my favorite book of all time. I own ...more
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, since I'm not much of a Romance genre reader. The plot is actually a mix of Romance, Mystery, and Paranormal and thus was something a bit different. There was a lull in the middle of the story, and sometimes having the same incident described from the two main characters' point of view was a bit tedious. However, the story was still enjoyable.
Rebecca Mabe
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am usually not a fan of "paranormal" or "supernatural" type novels, romance or otherwise. (With the exception of Stephanie Meyer). Therefore, I picked up this book from the library because it looked like a nice, fluffy, generic romance that I could read in two hours and be in a good mood afterwards. What I was not expecting was a thought provoking paranormal/mystery/romance novel. By the time I got to the paranormal stuff I was already in love with the characters so I didn't just quit reading. ...more
Rory
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
When my mom handed me this novel and told me I had to read it, I was more than a little skeptical. Any novel with a title like “Wild Orchids” had to be pretty lame, right?
The novel ended up being not at all what I expected. I was expecting some romance novel with a main character like Fabio but instead I got a sad writer trying to peace together his life after his wife dies of cancer. This novel is a little all over the place since I would classify it as an introspective, mystery, with supernat
Limau Nipis
I feel like watching a soap opera while reading this novel. Yes, it was that long, with so many sub plots.

You want a romance with a hero who is 20 years older than the heroine? Check.
You want a secluded town with mystery in it? Check.
You want town's people who are quirky all over? Check.
You want strings of family relatives who are up to no good? Check.
You want a murder plot in it? Check.
You want a paranormal element in it? Check.

This is not a romance novel. I repeat, this is not a romance novel.
Kaelee Newton
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have not read much Jude Deveraux and most of what I have read has been her historical romances so when a coworker recommended the book to me (and let me borrow it) I was a bit skeptical. But I found myself looking forward to snatching moments I could read this book and enjoying the characters. In fact, having just finished it, I am sad to see it end. I enjoyed the characters and the setting a great deal and the plot was not something I expected either. Sure, I figured romance would be a part o ...more
Leira
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes a great story
I love Jude Deveraux. She's "classified" as a "romance" writer, but this isn't the trashy, Harlequin crap. There's always a bit of love in her books, but there's also a heaping pile of story. This is one of the most original stories I have ever read. I CAN NOT put it down.
Kayleigh Slater
Great book, it's not very predictable, and Jude is a very good writer who gives good perspective from many different character angles! Also, the ending was AMAZING! It starts out slow, but once it picks up, you are thrown for a look every which way. Such a good book, I recommend!
Evelyn Wilson
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW. I so enjoyed this book. I have read "Forever" (2002) Darcie Monroe, Page 322, AND "First Impressions" (2005) but I can't recall why on that one. Farrington Mano, Eden, that is why. Ford is super and so is Jackie.
Jen
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ford Newcombe, bestselling author has been uninspired and can't write after the loss of his beloved wife. He's looking for inspiration and finds it in a devil story told by a research assistant at a dinner party. Offering her a job as his assistant, Jackie Maxwell at first turns him down, she's about to be married and wants to open a photography studio. But, on the day of Jackie's wedding when she finds out her groom has stolen and then lost her entire life savings, she leaves him at the altar a ...more
Cindy Hurd
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best one ever

I think this is the best book Deveraux has ever written and I have read almost all off them in the last 35+ years! I'm not giving a synopsis of it but as far as mysteries go, it's perfect. And character development is far superior than most novels of this genre. It was tough to put down and a lot of chores went undone for a day and a half!
Theresa
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprising book, because I assumed it was a romance. I would say it's mostly fiction, with a mystery and small romance. Refreshing in that the devil is in the book, but not portrayed as the usual, completely evil entity, and you're never quite sure if there is a devil, ghost or just foul play. Romance that is in the story is a slow forming, friendship first, no immediate attraction, which was also refreshing. The only reason I did not give a 5 star is the ending wrapped up suddenly and cleanly, ...more
Maria
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book goes back and forth from chapter to chapter with a first person narrative from first Jackie and then Ford, so you get more than one perspective. When Ford's cousin Noble enters the scene, it happens again, only not in first person. It is fascinating to get different perspectives of the same incidents or of the past in this way. I loved the interaction between Ford and jackie, but Ford's eating habits drove me as crazy as they did Jackie. The storyline was a bit over the top, but I thoro ...more
Jackie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my very first Deveraux book and I really enjoyed the read. At first I thought it was going to be a he said/she said but soon found myself enjoying the different takes on the same incident. I almost did not want it to end. The author took her time wrapping up the book and I really appreciated those pages.
Janet Sepers
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jude Deveraux! I've read almost all of her books. I was searching her book list for something I might have missed and I found Wild Orchids, Up until now Knight in Shining Armor was my favorite but this book is my new favorite. It pulled me in right away and didn't let go until the end. I loved this book!!!
Meryan
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jude Deveraux writes the most marvelous books. and another great one here. This one is about the Devil, lol. Jackie Maxwell comes into writer, Ford Newcombe's life at a time he's ready to move on from the death of his wife. Together they go to North Carolina to research a story that Jackie heard from her mother as a young girl, about a woman that supposedly talked to the Devil.
Andrew
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of her best

This is one of the books that has stuck with me through the years. I reread it every so often, and it draws me in each time. It isn’t as terribly sappy and overblown as many of her other works, and the humor is subtle and fun.
Rexanne
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Fast read :D
Very, very unusual haha.
Alissa
This is the first Jude Deveraux book I've read...and after the experience I don't think I'll read another. In fact, the only reason I read it in the first place was because my mom (Whose taste usually runs toward cozy mysteries about beloved pets who solve crimes. This was a departure for her.) thought I'd like it. Not sure why she thought this, but this is the only reason I gave it a go.

I can't even rate this crap! Yeah, it was that bad.

First was the plot. It was convoluted, contrived, predic
Aiza Chaudry
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
SPOILERS ALERT!

I love how the beginning and the ending were connected nicely and cleverly. I knew albeit, that the devil was real. AND THAT THE HANDSOME MAN JACKIE KEPT SEEING WAS THE DEVIL. BECAUSE HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE HANDSOME.
Of course, Amarisa saw a handsome young man because she just saw the beauty in everyone. She had a kind heart. It's all about perception. You see what you believe in.Town people saw a heinous creature because that's what they grew up believing the devil to be like. YOU
Jennifer C
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This book had an intriguing storyline. I wanted to know why Jackie and such a connection to Cole Creek. Then the ending came and It was overdone. I was very disappointed. Not what I expected.

This is a story of a widow writer and his assistant. You get assistant. Their relationship is fun but I didn’t feel the romantic connection that came about.

They go to Cole Creek to research a story and there Jackie learns about her haunted past.

I love stories that take place in an old house and stir up st
Jennifer Sweet
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great story telling

i loved this book. its about love and redemption. murder and the devil. family and tge future.
Ford , a writer who has lost the people he loves and Jackie a bride whos fiancee steals every penny she has. jackie becomes Fords assistant on the day after her wedding blows up. Ford is looking for stories about the devil and Jackie has one from a town she remembers living in when she was a kid. They go to the town and jackie remembers things long forgotten. when they discover the w
Ada Iaboni
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I normally don't read or like books with supernatural things happening to the town and/or the characters. But this one had some very interesting happenings that makes one stand up and take notice. Not too strange but just strange enough to have the hairs in the back of your neck rise.
A fun read with some intriguing concepts.
Diana Cosgrove
This book was such a surprise! I went into it without knowing anything, and I almost gave up after the first chapter. I’m so glad I kept going, though. It was full of twists and turns, while also being a touch absurd.
Nancy
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this one a 2.5. I LOVE Jude Devereaux's books, but this one was disappointing and the ending I found to be unsatisfying.
Janet
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
4+ stars
Sandy Carmichael
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting love, mystery, physic story.
Judith
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judith by: Brenda McKinney
Shelves: other
Slow starter for sure. If you stick with it the characters gain personality & humor is injected. The book is a mix of a study of grief and relationships (family) + a murder mystery.
Sheila McNulty
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
very strange book. Not one of her better ones.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wild Star (Star, #3)
  • After the Parade (Dolan Brothers, #5)
  • Season for Miracles (Bethlehem, #1)
  • To the Ends of the Earth
  • Guardian's Key
  • Comanche Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #2)
  • Crazy in Love
  • Desire and Deception
  • Making Over Mr. Right (Goddess #3)
  • Spring Collection
  • The Dragonfly Season
  • What a Girl Wants
  • Home for the Holidays
  • Bridge of Dreams (Draycott Abbey #2)
  • Temptation (Secret Diaries, #1)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
“It's an odd thing about love. When someone you love cries, your heart melts. But when someone you don't love cries, you look at them and think, Why are you telling 'me' this?” 43 likes
“Everyone wanted his relatives to be proud of him, didn't he?” 10 likes