Start by marking “Her Hidden Children: The Rise of Wicca and Paganism in America” as Want to Read:
Her Hidden Children: The Rise of Wicca and Paganism in America

Her Hidden Children: The Rise of Wicca and Paganism in America

The history of any religious movement can get murky. But the history of American Paganism--with so many invented lineages, so many solitary practitioners, so much resistance to staid definition, so much hiddenness--is especially hard to decipher. But here in Her Hidden Children Chas Clifton tells many never-before-told stories of the origins of Paganism and Wicca in the ...more
Published June 8th 2006 by Altamira Press

To ask other readers questions about Her Hidden Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Hidden Children

Start your review of Her Hidden Children: The Rise of Wicca and Paganism in America
Natalie
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because, quite frankly, I don't read enough Pagan scholarship. I'm still looking for that perfect book that can describe my beliefs and not make me sound like a nutcase to my scientifically minded friends, but alas, in this, Prof. Clifton cannot provide me.

However, there is a lot worth considering here, especially in relation to American Paganism. I don't think I had ever truly considered that Atlantic divide prior to this book. Divide is probably a strong word, but at any
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finished this a while ago but I liked it. It’s well written and the author keeps a million strands of thought organized while drilling down into complex histories of pagan thought and origin stories of different and overlapping pagan traditions. Easy to read also!
Rosanne
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
As with other works by academics, this book could be rather dry and convoluted. Could be difficult to follow. Refers to Wicca and witchcraft interchangeably which I thought were supposed to be 2 different things.
Sophon
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As I read through this book, I have been unable to put it down as it recounts the history of modern Neo-Paganism in America. Clifton does a wonderful job at cutting through the camouflage that has long surrounded the Pagan community. Between false histories, poor scholarship, and an engaging mythic history, the Pagan community has grown and evolved. The "older" traditions that are lineage based often have only some semblance to the modern revival that has been immensely successful at meeting the ...more
Steve Wiggins
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good introduction to modern Wicca, by an author who has personal experience in the movement. Witches aren't always what they seem to be, and that includes being proponents of nature worship. Clifton provides useful information for anyone wanting to know more about this movement. Further remarks about it may be found on my blog: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I learned so much from this book. I used it for a summer class, but I'm glad my teacher selected it, because it covers many of the categories of Paganism, and it is very detailed on history. A interesting, informative read.
Lauren HOuston

• Mother Winter: A Memoir
  • Freshwater
  • Trans Voices: Becoming Who You Are
  • The Myth of Mental Illness: Foundations of a Theory of Personal Conduct
  • Psychiatry Under the Influence: Institutional Corruption, Social Injury, and Prescriptions for Reform
  • Treating Trauma and Traumatic Grief in Children and Adolescents
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit