Start by marking “Queenie” as Want to Read:
Queenie

Queenie

The seductive and beguiling story of Dawn Avalon, who when wrongfully accused of a crime she didn't commit, flees her homeland to London where she becomes 'Queenie', a star of both the stage and screen.
Published April 1st 1986 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1970)

Start your review of Queenie
JoAnne Pulcino
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
QUEENIE

Michael Korda

Goodreads has given me another reason why I love their site so much. When reading reviews and comments by my friends, I'm constantly reminded of books I've read and loved before there was a goodreads. This is one of those books.

Beautiful, seductive, Anglo Indian Dawn Avalon flees the street of Calcutta for London when she is wrongfully accused of murder. She uses her intelligence and beauty to become a bona fide movie star mainly by marrying a charismatic director and their u
 Martin
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
During the heydays of the ‘80s soaps, publishing firms... http://sleaze-factor.blogspot.ca/2016...

Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
When I was young my mom kept telling me I remind her of a miniseries she watched years ago before the war but couldn't find again called Queenie starring the enchanting Mia Sara.

Years later, I told a friend of mine who was obsessed with books and movies about it and he got me the book, first edition, I kept on searching until I got two copies one on VCR and another on DVD as a surprise to my mother, I was 16 at the time, we only had half of the miniseries before and to me watching the whole thi
Nancy Rossman
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
First a disclaimer: my husband bought this for me as a joke because of its title alone. Once a few years ago in a moment of contention my husband blurted out that I was "such a princess" to which I replied, "No, Queen."

Anyhow, as these things go with married couples some things that were once angry become funny and reappear from time to time. Thus his nickname of me as Queenie has stuck. And so this year on our anniversary when he was out of ideas this book became one of my gifts.

We shared a goo
Philip
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read QUEENIE when it was published in 1985, and remember it as a juicy, hard-to-put-down roman a clef about Hollywood's legendary Merle Oberon. All the author did was change the names!

Michael Korda knew his subjet well - by virtue of her marriage to his uncle, film producer Sir Alexander Korda, Oberon was for a time the author's aunt.

And with its pedigree, why shouldn't it be a juicy, hard-to-put-down book? The author, after all, was at the time Editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster, and a
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance
This was another book that I loved when i was younger. I still have the Dutch copy. Might tell my daughter to give it a try. She loved Lace by Shirley Conran. (I did too)

Back in the days I loved reading books like this. Judith Kranz,Jacqueline Susann, Jackie Collins and Harold Robbins come to mind. That is what is great about goodreads. You click one book and then you see other books which reminds you you have read those as well.

Well if you are not easily offended by sex scenes and you want to r
Helen Carolan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
tried reading this book years ago and didn't like it. got a copy recently and decided to give it another go. loved it this time around!! Queenie Kelly leaves the slums of Calcutta to become Dawn Avalon a film star in hollywood just before the war. loved this so much and liked Queenie who was prepared to do anything to become famous.
D Young
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: better-reads
I read this book a long time ago, but the story has stuck with me and I keep looking for it so I can re-read it. It is both tragic and joyous and paints a very realistic picture of the "dark side" of fame.
Elynn
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this book when I was about 12 (not many books available where I grew up) and found it fascinating and inspiring. It made an impression on me that has stayed with me throughout my teenage and adulthood.
Deepika
love this book very nice and well written , i cud not stop reading till the end once i began
Scott Roberts
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book cover has "all time favourite" theme to the historical romance novel. I give this book 5 stars.
Maya
Dec 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, though it certainly had a bit of 80s camp about it--even though it was about colonial India, 30s London, and 40s Hollywood! I got interested in this after reading Korda's memoir about being an editor, and it is based on his aunt Merle Oberman, who I saw in part of a movie once. Anyway, not great literature, but a fast and entertaining, if not a little guilt-inducing, read, especially for 632 pages!
Khristine Doiron
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, from the start to the finish. I was drawn in right from the start and even though there were many characters, which I do not like in books, I did not have a hard time keeping them all straight. If you are looking for a happy go lucky book, than this is not the book for you.
Luckngrace
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
A mysterious childhood in India, career of fame and fortune, and hints of story links to a real movie star's life combined to make this a very satisfying read. I saw the TV movie years ago and, naturally, the book was better.
Ashira
May 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Michael Korda doesn't know how to write for a woman. Queenie is a hollow shell of a character that fails to impress throughout the entire book. It's a droll journey through mediocrity that fails to live up to the stories potential.
Donna
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book ... this was one that I couldn't put down!!! I just recently came across another Michael Korda book that I'm going to read ... I hope it is written as well as Queenie was!!!
Suzy
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great escapism!
Anya
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
What I think? sheesh this took foevaaaaa. Left it aside after I got about 1/3 through the book. Picked it up about a year later and finally finished it one summer.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I had absolutely no idea that the author had based this book on his aunt, Merle Oberon. You learn something everyday!
Celene Swagler
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Loved this book!! I have read it over and over and even own the VHS mini-series starring Mia Sara and Kirk Douglas.
Celina and Don
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good!
Susan Baker
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Queenie in the late 80's, and then again in the late 90's, and found it fascinating, both times...
Marilyn
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The story moves slowly like an old movie.
Sarah Firestone
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even though the story line has been done a million times this one was a good read & kept me interested ...more
Diane
Nov 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Did not like this book, too long and to hard to get into.
Dennis Greene
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting roman a clef of the life of his once Aunt, Merle Oberon.
Cynthia Alice
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish it. Returned to library. Felt like I was deliberately trashing my mind! Lol
Good riddance.
Bell Joy
An oldie but a goodie
Dawn Wells
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
First read in 1980. Would have originally given it three stars
Eman Said
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent story that covers ages of time, takes you to different countries, inside the deep, mystical and demonic world of movies and stars, the blessings and curses of beauty and the price paid for not accepting ones self.

• Mistral's Daughter
  • Lace
  • Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)
  • The House Next Door
  • Windmills of the Gods
  • Fair Stood the Wind for France
  • Fly Away Home
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Getaway
  • Women in White
  • Spencer Brade, M.D.
  • A New Life
  • The Tenants
is an English-born writer and novelist who was editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster in New York City. ...more

News & Interviews

“It must be nice, Queenie thought, to be one thing or another, to know where you belonged.” 3 likes