Start by marking “Make the Yuletide Gay” as Want to Read:
Make the Yuletide Gay

Make the Yuletide Gay

Junior editor Grace Taylor is doubling as the temporary assistant to senior editor Nicola Valentine…and harboring a secret crush on her. Grace is devastated when a work conference forces her to miss her big family Christmas. However, she gets a gift she doesn’t expect when a snowstorm strands her and Nicola at a small B&B.

Nicola has no idea how to handle sharing a room wit
ebook
Published December 14th 2020 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Make the Yuletide Gay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make the Yuletide Gay

Start your review of Make the Yuletide Gay
Lex Kent
3.25 Stars. I thought this was a nice, boss/employee, holiday romance. Between the ARC’s I have left to read and a few books I’m hoping to get in before the year is over, I wasn’t sure how much time I would have for holiday reads this year. So when I saw that NineStar Press released a new holiday book, I knew I had to scoop it up. It wasn’t a perfect novella for me, it had some bumpy parts, but overall I liked the read and thought it was a solid debut.

My biggest issue was the beginning. Not sur
Leah
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
‘Make the Yuletide Gay’ is a cute holiday novella about an editor and her temporary assistant. They’re assigned a last-minute conference the week of Christmas and as it’s too late for plane tickets they’re on a 10-hour road trip to Maine. Along the way they encounter wintery weather and have to stop at the closest hotel, which happens to only have one bed!

While they’ve both had an attraction for each other, the trip lets them get to know each other on a more personal level. I liked how
lauraღ
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
“We’re all scared.” Li Hua folded her arms. “But some things— some people— are worth a little fear.”

3.5 stars. A super adorable sapphic romance that packs in quite a lot of tropes, but still doesn't doesn't feel like it's trying to do too much. It worked! There's a road trip to a conference, they get snowed in, there's only one bed, they're employer and employee, (well, senior editor and assistant) and it's Christmastime. The power imbalance in the sorta employer-employee dynamic is very sli
Elske
Dec 17, 2020 rated it liked it

I am currently enjoying reading Christmas stories, novellas and books. It feels as if these stories are taking place in a different universe. No lock downs, social distancing and masks and no sick people, but ordinary trips, meetings and festivities. This novella was a nice change from day to day life. It’s a story about a boss and employee who discover during a business trip around Christmas that they are attracted to each other and fall in love. Nicola was not loved in her youth and o
Skip
Dec 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Sam
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was on a bit of a not so great book streak, so I figured a light and easy Christmas novella would get me out of my reading funk. And it did. This novella is just so cute, trope heavy, but not annoyingly so, just what one needs for their Christmas break (or a pick me up, set during the holiday season).

I think I shouldn't say too much about this story, I wouldn't want to give it all away. Grace and Nicola or colleagues, Nicola is Garce's superior. They go on a road trip to attend a conference, t
AnnMaree Of Oz
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicole and her assistant, Grace, are both having lustful thoughts about each other, without the other knowing. I wasn't sure how to take them at first with it being a 'how her ass looks' type of attraction, and both wishing they could touch and 'take' each other.

However, I did come around once I got to know the characters more. I definitely would have liked to see them open up more, but I understand that the entire premise is very much Nicola's feelings of self worth being very low and wanting t
Landice (Manic Femme Reviews)
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read Make the Yuletide Gay in one sitting and really enjoyed it! Grace was a disaster lesbian from page one, which is how I knew I was in for a treat, lol. The story starts off a bit slow (well, as much as that’s even possible in a novella) but once Nicola started to open up a bit, I was all in on them as a couple! The characters were well developed, and I appreciated the underlying themes of struggling with self-worth & feelings of inadequacy because of childhood trauma.

James weaves multiple
booksnooksandglory
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, indie-authors
Such a sweet novella. This is my first wlw romance and I gosh this is exacly what I was wishing for.

The story follows Nicola and her temp assistant through a conference taking place during Chrismats week (just workdays tho). Both have a crush on the other but for obvious reasons they don’t act on it but this rushed conference forces them to be very much in eachother’s space.

If you are worried in anyway about the consent being murky because of the office romance, don’t, I won’t get into spoilers
Arin
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
CW: explicit sexual content, descriptions of childhood emotional abuse and neglect

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
2.5 Stars
I think this book was a its not you, its me type of situation. I am well aware that certain aspects of some relationships always make me uncomfortable but others find them fine and for me that's any sort of boss/employee relationship which is what this whole book is about. The idea of the power dynamics in those relationships make me so uncomfor
Jordan
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect little Christmas read. Had all the best parts of a Hallmark Christmas movie without the heteronormativity. Both Grace and Nicola were well crafted characters with unique voices. I’d honestly love to see a squeal where Nicola meets Grace’s moms. Thank you to James for sending me an e-arc, I really enjoyed reading it!!
Charlie Smith
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
This was super fun!
Allison
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story.
James has a wonderful voice and a great handle on pacing, crafting engaging interactions that pull the reader in and move the story forward. You will not be bored reading this.
The characters are realistic and relatable, and the dichotomy between Grace and Nicola is so colorful and interesting. I found both characters to be relatable, and it’s great to see this kind of well-rounded representation within the genre without relying on cliches.
Without giving anything away, there i
Katie
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was in the mood for a Christmas-themed romance when Ivy James dropped into my DMs asking if I'd be open to reading her book in exchange for an honest review. Perfect timing.

It ticked off a number of my Trope boxes: there's only one bed, grumpy/sunshine, boss/assistant, and stranded in a snowstorm (Is that a trope? It should be). Plus, yes, most of the time I want a full-length novel, but sometimes you just want to curl up and burn an hour reading something short and sweet, you know?

All in all,
Natalie
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-to-read
I thought this was a solid debut and a very cute holiday romance novella. I don't typically read novellas, as I am generally drawn to novels with complex character development. The character development of both Grace and Nicola was very good, although I think the author was aiming for an ice-queen in Nicola whereas for me she came across as very shy and introverted with just a touch of PTSD.

Highly recommend a read if you are after a cute holiday novella to get you in the holiday spirit.

Many tha
M G
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you need a fast, great holiday book to get in the spirit? Then look no further than: Make the Yuletide Gay by Ivy L. James. It's a shorter book so I was surprised by the deeper layers and wonderful cuteness. I also have a hankering for some hot chocolate and cookies now. This is the first book I've read by this author, but will definitely check out more of their work. ...more
fridayinapril
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect feel-good, lighthearted read for the holidays. It follows the sweet Christmas loving Grace and her grumpy boss Nicola. They end up stranded in a B&B over the holidays and are finally able to find their way to each other.

3,5/4
~ #fridayinaprilbookreviews

I voluntarily read and reviewed a free copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Cat Rector
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
When an indie author writes an adorable F|F Christmas romance, what choice do you have but to gobble it up in 24 hours? Ivy writes imperfect characters with very human flaws. One of my favourite things about this bite-sized romance is the way the characters are so tied and shaped by their experiences. This is an absolutely adorable read and it's going to be the thing responsible for my Christmas spirit this year! ...more
Jessica Svajgert
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
*Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Pub date: December 14, 2020

This this LGBTQIA+ novella was a cute holiday workplace romance. While I’m not sure the relationship is wholly believable in how fast it progresses, as the initial kiss seemed unlikely to happen in a real situation, I still enjoyed the characters together and was rooting for them.
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book thanks to NetGalley and publisher NineStar Press, LLC in exchange for an honest review.
Oh boy, this was 100% the fluffy queer festive story I was hoping for! Make the Yuletide Gay is the story of Grace Taylor and her boss Nicola who end up spending Christmas together when a literary conference is scheduled over the holiday season. The hitch? Both Grace and Nicola have secret crushes on each other. Things get more heated when they are forced to share a room (an oldi
Gillian
This is a sexy, Christmas age-gap novella about a jaded editor, Nichola, and her bright-eyed assistant, Grace, who must attend a conference for publishers over Christmas, but run into a few road blocks (literally).

This has some of my favourite tropes for romance: hurt/comfort, there was only one bed, literally falling onto each other, snowed in, and a bunch of other adorable tropes and clichés that make my heart soar. It's both a boss/assistant and age gap relationship-- which should make me we
renée
This novella, James’ debut, is about Nicola and Grace, boss and secretary respectively, who have to gon on a trip together for work during Christmas. The thing is, both of them have feelings for each other. It’s a heartwarming sapphic romantic comedy with a Christmas setting, the kind of thing you’d want to find on Netflix by the beginning of December: it’s cute and entertaining, as well as having well-constructed characters, especially Nicola.

The process of reading this book, at least for me, w
Colleen Corgel
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, f-f-romance
This is a short and sweet holiday themed story about a boss- subordinate romance in which they fall for each other over the course of a sort of disastrous emergency business trip. Both characters have less than stellar childhoods, but Grace, a junior editor for her and her temporary boss's company was saved by her adoptive family. Nicola is still haunted by feelings of inadequacy fostered by her own horrible family. So, as you can imagine, some road trip shenanigans happen and the women actually ...more
Leslie
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and NineStar Press for the digital galley of this book.

Junior editor Grace Taylor’s annual family plans are ruined when her temporary boss, senior editor Nicola Valentine, informs her of their holiday travel plans to a publishing conference. Grace has been harboring a secret crush on Nicola for a while, and when a snowstorm strands them at a B&B with only one room, temptation will be hard to ignore. Uber professional Nicola Valentine is having a hard time being snowed in when
Sammi
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Contemporary romances aren't my usual go-tos but with a snappy title like "Make the Yuletide Gay" I knew I had to take a read.

This is a holiday romance that follows Grace who is the assistant to Nicola on their way to a conference over Christmas. Nicola is the harsh grumpy grinch and Grace is the upbeat festive type. Through this story they get snowed into a bed and breakfast that somehow only has one room and one bed which the housekeeper encourages them to share, and this is where they fall in
Bea A.
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Cute Little Novella. The Christmas Spirit wasn't STRONG here but we definitely had a nice dusting of it.
This was a short, cute little read that makes you feel all kinds of warm on the inside.

Nicola and Grace get swept into a conference on Christmas - check out that set up! Getting caught in a B&B and establishing that there are more than just professional feelings there, makes you wonder how t
Phoebe
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ivy L. James brings us a snowed-in rom-com in Make the Yuletide Gay. James gives the characters very similar backgrounds, but only one of them had a chance for happiness when she was a kid. It gives a strong foundation for Grace and Nic where Nic would not have seen one. Never mind they both work in the same field, so yet another common interest. James may have snowed them in, but they give the characters a real base to work on in their road trip to love.

I think I like this story more for the co
Emily
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was provided to me by Net Galley and all opinions are my own. Thank you Net Galley!

I am so glad I have found/gotten to read more wlw romances this year. This one specifically was like a breath of fresh air. I loved the chapter names so much and the way the writer wrote the chemistry was impressive.

I loved the inclusion that Grace reads romance novels, I thought it was cute and funny. I thought the sexual tension was palpable and made sense. There was care put there and I could tell. (I
Emily Sarah
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fast cute read and I loved it.

I have a lack of Christmas vibes this year but I think perhaps many do in the sum of 2020.

This book was a warm gingerbread cookie that makes you want to enjoy December again. It’s cute, it’s sweet, it’s sexy, and it’s , (not so shockingly?) GAY!

The two characters in it bounce off of each other. Nicola and grace are vague opposites and it works so well together.

It’s that vague trope of a forbidden office romance but handled well and sweetly with a fres
Kelsee
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-books
I loved this one a lot. But then, I'm a sucker for cute holiday romances and this sapphic novella did not disappoint. Despite being such a quick read, it managed to pack in some of the best tropes for our reading pleasure: a grumpy, older editor is the boss of a younger, sunshiney assistant, get stuck in a snow storm AND there's only one bed. Loved it, give me more!

This book really was super cute and I loved the buildup of the relationship of these two. While also tackling feelings of low self w

• 16 Steps to Forever
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Scent
  • Detour to Love
  • Not This Time
  • The Mandolin Lunch
  • Two to Tangle (Tangle Valley, #2)
  • Hotel Queens