Start by marking “Jenny Finn” as Want to Read:
Jenny Finn

Jenny Finn

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  359 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Finally collected in one volume for the first time! From the mind of Mike Mignola, creator of HELLBOY, comes this Lovecraftian tale of a mysterious girl who arrives in Victorian England with carnage in her wake. Is she evil incarnate or a misled child?
Published by Boom Studios (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jenny Finn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenny Finn

Edward Lorn
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mike Mignola. I'm a huge fan of Hellboy. So it saddens me to say that this was fucking terrible.

The art was inconsistent. The story was about as much fun as stapling one's genitals to a cactus while taking a lemon-juice shower. The text in the speech bubbles requires 12-times magnification. And I hated every character.

In summation: This is a complete waste of time and money. Luckily, I only paid $1.99 at a clearance store for this waste of shiny paper. I'mma stick with Hellboy, thank you
Forrest
This is definitely not up to par with Mignola's best work. Though Jenny Finn exhibits the usual fascination with Victoriana and lovecraftian strangeness (I can relate), and the illustration is excellent, the story feels rushed and shallow. The characters could have been much deeper - there was ample opportunity to slip in bits of dialogue that would have contributed to the backstory - and the wry social commentary on which the story ends should have had more of a buildup in the beginning. I susp ...more
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Did not finish σελ. 50

Early Μινιόλα, αλλά δεν μπόρεσα να συνεχίσω. Όταν το πιο ενδιαφέρον πράγμα είναι τα ψάρια στο background που λένε συνέχεια "doom", τότε δε μπορείς παρά να το παρατήσεις, ακόμα κι αν το έγραψε ο αγαπημένος σου.
Quirkyreader
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a weird fast paced story. If there had been more of a backstory to some of the characters, I would have given it 5 stars.
Joshua Shioshita
This book presents a lot of questions but few answers. It seems to go for tone and concept over story and plot. There's all these interesting ideas that are just that, ideas, because the tale that tries to tie them all together is too threadbare to really merit more than one cursory read. All things considered, it was a bit of disappointment for me, but if you dig Lovecraftian weirdness, or Cronenberg body horror, or Juni Ito's Gyo - then you'll probably find something to like here.
Wing Kee
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
An amusing little Lovecraftian tale from Mignola that’s high on the tone but low in the depth.

World: The art is great, it sets the tone perfectly for the book, it looks slightly off and especially the humans and the creatures giving the book a very solid feel to work off of. The world building here is basic, it’s a monster tale and there’s not a lot of lore or background to the tale, only what the sailor tells you. There is also not a lot of detail on the secret society so yeah the stage is set
Felix Zilich
В 1999 году отец «Хеллбоя» Майк Миньола и молодой канадский художник Трой Никси издали в издательстве Oni Press небольшой черно-белый комикс под названием «Дженни Финн». В этом комиксе кроткая девочка-мессия поднималась из морских пучин на улицы порочного викторианского Лондона, чтобы сообщить живущей в трущобах пастве с тентаклями о приходе новых времен.

Прошло почти 20 лет. За это время Миньола и Никси прочно подружились с Гильермо дель Торо, а Никси даже сам превратился в режиссера, после чег
Garrett
Oct 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Jenny Finn is beyond terrible and easily Mike Mignolas worst comic. There is little to no characterization whatsoever, it’s boring as hell, the artwork is good but not great and the ending is a whole new kind of anticlimactic. Do yourself a favor and read “The Doom that Came to Gotham “ if you want to read a somewhat decent comic from this writer and artist, but otherwise just skip this piece of boring crap. I love Mike Mignola and he is a brilliant writer and my personal favorite artist, so I d ...more
Saga Norén
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Love Lovecraft's style, even Mike Mignola, but this issue is awful and disgusting. Even, I shouldn't read it.
Orrin Grey
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, mignola
As you probably know, and will learn quickly if you don't, I'll read anything that Mike Mignola had a hand in, and I've enjoyed the work that he's done with Troy Nixey in the past. That said, this wasn't a favorite for me.

Victorian-era fish people, spiritualism, pseudo-science, and weird Lovecraftian plots ought to have been a no-brainer, but for some reason none of it gels as well as Mignola's work usually does for me. I'd recommend that all the steampunk/weird fiction/Victoriana aficionados I
Florin Pitea
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. Thankfully, I got it at a discount price. I'll simply give it away.
Paul Mirek
Mignola will be the main draw for anyone picking up this book, and it's fair to say that this a decidedly minor work in his oeuvre. However, that's not to say that there's not more than enough Lovecraftian strangeness and unsettling themes to make things interesting. With co-writer Troy Nixey and artist Farel Dalrymple, Mignola offers a new take on the Gothic weird horror milieu that he's carved out over the years. This isn't the almost-recognizable universe of Hellboy (or your typical superhero ...more
Malum
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

A common complaint that I have about many graphic novels is that they stretch the story out far too long just to fill pages. Jenny Finn, however, has the opposite problem. The story moves way too fast to really build up any kind of suspense. The art was ok, and I liked the general theme of everything being nautical and almost a tiny bit steampunk.

The biggest problem with this book, however, is the text. It is so small you will be squinting your way through this story.
Kristopher Kelly
A friend suggested I read this after reading some of my stories, and I can see why. The character designs are wonderfully weird, from the Prime Minister to the guy who never puts his feet on the ground to the medium with the creepy mask--not to mention Jenny herself and the excellent scene where she is found in the giant mass of fish-guts--there is some real imagination here.

The story feels rushed. I wish they had more time to explore, but even as short as this book is, it was rich enough in fu
Lukas Holmes
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tremendous book! I love when Gothic horror really nails the genre. Part of our reason for being so afraid is that it's so dark and confusing we're lost with no understanding of direction in these type of stories. We aren't sure of character motivations or typical story arc dynamics. One thing I really loved, though I am unclear if it was on purpose, is that we don't really see Joe in clear focus until almost the end when he is finally given a direct purpose. From there out we see his clea ...more
Heather
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read, but it would've been more compelling if Mignola had delved further into the mythology of Jenny Finn. As it stands, the story feels incomplete because he only skims the surface of what Jenny truly is and what she represents. On the positive side, Mignola's illustration is superb and easily makes up for what is lacking in the story.
Thomas
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is pretty weak, despite obvious draws such as Chuthuloid monsters, fishy harbringers of doom, elements of steampunk and a Jack the Ripper-type killer. Nixey's b/w art is suitably twisted and dark. But it never really takes off, though, and the final chapter is not even drawn by Nixey. A small plus for the gallery of Nixey pinups, but overall not much here.
Adam Luptak
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Didn't love this one. A lot of promise here - a weird plague on the streets of London, ghosts and ancient creatures from the deep... But the art was only okay - the amount of detail (which I would like to love) became cluttered and confusing without color. The story felt very glossed over, leaving me wanting to know more about the origins and motivations of the characters.
Jenny Finn is nicely creepy, steam-punky, and mysterious. Mignola has a very interesting concept here, but the ending felt abrupt and well, odd. The book didn't go where I was expecting it to, but not necessarily in a good way. Maybe there will be more volumes that make more sense.
Melanie
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-trade
Deliciously Steampunk and very HP Lovecraft.
Florin Pitea
Jan 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing.
Daniel Hermosel Murcia
Cómic con sabor a Lovecraft, a quien no oculta que intenta homenajear. A veces grotesco a ratos cómico. Una ciudad húmeda y nauseabunda – llegas a percibir la peste a pescado – con calles atestadas de gente, con de callejones donde dejarse matar.
La suciedad se intuye, no es un lugar donde le gustaría a uno pasar un rato, ni mucho menos vivir. Y luego está la enfermedad que produce una mutación piscideformante, por llamarlo de algún modo. Asesinatos, linchamientos, chusma descontrolada… Los agent
Mark
Feb 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
It was such a strange time to live in Victorian London. A murderer went around killing and mutilating prostitutes, while various men are being transformed into odd half-man half-sea creatures. No one was safe to walk about town. Unless for a young girl named Jenny Finn. Her walking around as if nothing was wrong caught the attention of an out-of-towner named Joe who can’t help himself but to seek her out and introduce himself. He was concerned for her safety, but nothing is as it seems. Jenny Fi ...more
Brian Dickerson
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The new edition with colors by Dave Stewart is so beautiful. And, I never realized when I read the previous edition that Farel Dalrymple drew the last issue. He matched Nixey's style wonderfully.

I liked the story, I really didn't recall much of it from my previous read, but it was quick, quirky, and satisfying.

The guest family from another famous tale in the last panel was the cherry on top. It means nothing I suppose but it was a fun treat.

Get the color edition and reread it if you have not alr
Jamie Connolly
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I read this in single issue format. I was real keen on the art. Loved it actually even though it’s not normally my kinda style. The story lacked for something. A conclusion for one thing. I guess it ended up not really knowing what it was about. I figured the ending would put it all together but it left too many cards on the table. Otherwise it was ok I guess. I’ve come to expect much more from Mike Mignola though. 3 generous stars. Felt bad giving the 2 stars it probably deserved.
David King
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I picked up the first issue at Atomic Comics while on vacation.It was great! Very Lovecraftian. As soon as I could I ordered the complete story arc of Doom Messiah. Could not put it down. Story is top rate, eerie, macabre and yet there is that Mignola humor. "DOOM" The art work of Troy Nixey and Farel Dalrymple is perfect. I instantly began creating make-up to look like 'fish people.' I'm not going to say anything about the plot. You'll know by thumbing through it if it's for you.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
2.75
I can't help but feel a little cheated here. Mignola's story was interesting from start to finish but I'd picked Jenny Finn up intending to enjoy his art as well as his writing. Nixey feels like a cheap imitation and I've hated Dalrymple's work the first time I saw it in Wrenchies. Had Mignola illustrated this himself I feel it would have been better received.
Saul the Heir of Isauldur
Not typical Mignola

The story isn't as interesting as the premise. The art is inconsistently good and bad, alternating between the chapter title cards and frontispieces and the art of the story proper.
Brandon
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting little mash up of Jack the Ripper and Lovecraftian horror with that Mike Mignola charm. Not his best work by any stretch of the imagination, but even Mignola's less stellar efforts are far more interesting than a lot of writers out there.
Kristin
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another tired mash-up of Victorian England, Lovecraftian monsters, royal conspiracies, and Jack the Ripper. The artists draws people so misshapen that you can't tell the adults from the children or normal folk from monsters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Marquis, Volume 1: Inferno
  • The Grave Robber's Daughter
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering
  • The Arctic Marauder
  • The Gift of Trouble Sight (Billy Fog #1)
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 2: Mystery of the Dragonfish (Polly & the Pirates, #2)
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • The Damned, Vol. 1: Three Days Dead
  • Boneyard, Volume 1
  • Welcome to Hoxford
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 5: Operation Stormfront
  • The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings (The Dark Horse Book of..., #1)
  • The Goon, Volume 7: A Place of Heartache and Grief
  • Gravel, Volume 1: Bloody Liars (Gravel, #7)
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo