Start by marking “Dingen die we toevertrouwen aan de wind” as Want to Read:
Dingen die we toevertrouwen aan de wind

Dingen die we toevertrouwen aan de wind

'Ik pas goed op mezelf.'
'Zou een pony mij staan?'
'Met pap gaat alles nog goed.'
'Het liep precies zoals jij het had gewild.'
'We gaan trouwen!'

'Ik mis je.'

Deze roman gaat over een plek die recht bestaat. In 2010 installeerde Sasaki Itaru in de tuin bij zijn huis een telefooncel met daarin een kapotte telefoon, om zo via de wind te kunnen communiceren met zijn overleden neef.
Published November 10th 2020 by A.W. Bruna Uitgevers

Win a Copy of This Book

The Phone Booth at the Edge of the World

Release date: Mar 09, 2021
    *This is an ARC Giveaway*
    The international bestselling novel sold in 21 countries, about grief, mourning, and the joy of survival, inspired by a real

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 1139 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 19 - Dec 18, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Dingen die we toevertrouwen aan de wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dingen die we toevertrouwen aan de wind

Start your review of Dingen die we toevertrouwen aan de wind
    Peter
    Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Rebuilding
    A beautifully written story that flows through ravaged loss, desolation, resilience, hope, and the promise of a future with love and peace. The Phone Box at the End of the World by Laura Imai Messina is a book that gently enriches the soul and beats with a loving serenity.

The harrowing aftermath of a natural disaster strips away normality with the sudden and unprepared death of loved ones and the destruction of property. Yui is heartbroken following a Tsunami which hit Japan on 11 Marc
    Louise Wilson
    Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Yui and Takeshi have lost loved ones. Yui lost a daughter, Takeshi has lost his wife. They meet on their journey tomthenphone box and a bond is firmly made between them. Theynare travelling to the wind phone, al,old disconnected phone box that's in a garden of a stranger. It's said that it Carrie's your voice to the people you have lost.

I loved the thought of a phone box we could all go to and phone our loved ones that have passed away. It's a heartbreaking read but it's also full of hope. I lov
    Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins
    The Phone Box At The Edge Of The World has a beautiful premise, but for me the prose fell a little short. I guess I was expecting something like a blend of Sayaka Murata and Elena Ferrante, but the tone is closer to Cecilia Ahern or Marian Keyes. It’s a fine story of losing and finding family, but unfortunately it doesn’t quite live up to the heart-wrenching stories of the real-life Wind Phone.

An extended review is available at Keeping Up With The Penguins.
    Natalie M
    A stunning read that was incredibly powerful as an audiobook.

Based on a true story the phone box at the edge of the world is in the small town of Otsuchi in northern Japan, an area devasted by the tsunami in 2011.

A resident had the idea of placing an old phone booth at the bottom of his garden with a disconnected rotary phone that he could use to ring his deceased cousin (prior to the March 2011 disaster) and his words would "be carried on the wind" as he spoke to him.

Word travels about the wind
    Abbie | ab_reads
    Thank you @manilla_press for sending me a free copy of The Phone Box at the Edge of the World to review! This was such a lovely change of pace for me. I rarely read books that are filled with such hope. Although the book tackles grief and loss, Laura Imai Messina infuses it with a profound sense of hope and love.
    Beth Pennington
    Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: contemporary
    BQ✒️ - "Grief, Yui had once told him, is something you ingest everyday, like a sandwich cut into small pieces, gently chewed and then calmly swallowed. Digestion was slow. And so, Takeshi thought, joy must work in the same way"

Thank you @manilla_press for the #gifted copy of this beautiful book. I read this with @emmas.biblio.treasures and it was such a beautiful story

I was worried, given the Tsunami backdrop and the central focus on grief, that this would be sad, emotional and bleak. Yes it wa
    booksbytheboats
    This is a hard one for me to rate/review so I think it’ll be brief.

I loved the connection between the two main characters and how they slotted into each other’s lives. I loved how beautifully written the words are. I loved the short chapters making it an easy read. I loved the ‘profound quotes’ that make up the paragraphs of this book.

But for me this book was missing a lot - I don’t know if maybe I just didn’t connect with it but there didn’t really seem to be any real plot. A lot of the chapte
    Léna
    Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You might think a book about grief is gonna be sad. It's not a subject that I am familiar to in my personal life, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

But it was an absolute surprise; I enjoyed this book a lot. It is beautifully written, I truly couldn't put it down. The characters are all unique in their own way and the Japanese atmosphere is very present, something I loved the most about it.

Grief is sad for sure, but the story displays it in such a beautiful way and in so many forms. Death is trag
    Lisa
    Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A beautiful, touching story that ultimately leaves you feeling hopeful.

The subtly of the story, the writing style & there were stand out quotes really resonated with me. I really enjoyed the taste of Japanese culture and language captured within these pages

I loved the main characters and how they fit into each other's lives. The short chapters alternating between the character's lives and little lists/details perfectly entwined the story together.

It just missed out on 5⭐ because I would've reall
    Angela Moore Garden Tea Cakes and Me
    The first half of this book deals with the after effects of the tsunami, with Yui living in a school gymnasium for the following months. It broke my heart, my sister can attest to my sobbing and rather loudly too. There are few books that have had this effect on me. I think this was because I knew the story was based on real events. I knew people in Japan at the time, I've been to Japan. As the author describes everyday life, Japanese peoples habits and mannerisms, I could envisage all these thi ...more
    Amybibliophile
    The Phone Box at The Edge of The World follows the life story of Yui and Takeshi set in Japan. Both have lost love ones and have heard about The Phone of the Wind where it is said you can speak to lost loved ones through a disconnected telephone, they happen to meet on their separate journeys to Bell Gardia where the phonebox stands.

I thought this would be a heart-wrenching book where I would find myself sobbing the whole way through, but I found myself positively surprised at the wisdom and hea
    Anne Zouroudi
    Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I adored this - it's sensitive, quirky and ultimately uplifting, and while the theme is grief and loss, it's dignified rather than harrowing. Ultimately it's a book about healing and moving on after trauma, but it's gentle and thoughtful. Would make a wonderful gift for anyone who needs their faith in humanity restored.
    Lydia Hephzibah
    Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A strange, gentle, spiritual book that I don't know quite how to surmise
    Emma (escapetothebookshelf)
    I absolutely loved this book and I'm terrified that my review is not going to do it justice so just go and read it even if you don't like my review! The story follows Yui who lost her mother and daughter in the 2011 tsunami. She learns about a phone box at Bell Gardia where people go to speak to loved ones they have lost and she decides to take the journey there herself. She meets Takeshi, a bereaved husband whose daughter has stopped talking since the death of her mother and over time they lear ...more
    Shaz Goodwin
    Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have felt privileged to be a part of Yui’s path as she moves from grief and darkness into love and light. From guarding emotions as protection not to feel any more pain to some really tender moments, through Yui I’ve experienced an array of emotions. Do you experience the mixed emotions of a life moving on or do you let the fear of loss wrap around you and stifle your feelings and actions? Can you have joy filled moments again?

Takeshi and Yui’s meeting a
    Em (bibliophile_daydream)
    Thank you for Netgalley for gifting me a digital copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

The Phone Box at the Edge of the World is a poignant story exploring grief, emotional trauma, and how to pick your life up after it has fallen to pieces. We follow Yui and Takeshi, two people who both lost a lot. Yui's mother and daughter both died in the 2011 tsunami, while Takeshi's wife was taken by cancer. Their pain brings them to the same special place - to a phone box with a disconnected line, where yo
    Cathy
    This was a gentle, sweet story about people navigating through grief and building new relationships.

Set in Japan the story follows Yui and Takeshi, both of whom have lost people close to them. Yui’s mother and daughter were killed in the earthquake that hit the north of Japan in March 2011. Takeshi’s wife died, leaving his young daughter mute. Both find comfort in the ‘wind phone’ - a disused telephone in the garden of Belle Gardia where people go to talk to their departed loved ones.

The phone
    Karen Barber
    Thank you to NetGalley for this beautifully written, evocative story exploring loss and how we come to accept it.
    One of our characters is Yui, a radio broadcaster who lost her mother and daughter in the recent tsunami. She seems emotionally stuck in the aftermath, not sure how to move on from such a loss. Like so many dealing with such unexpected loss, the emotions are complex.
    Alongside Yui we have other characters. They are brought together by the existence of Bella Gardia, a remote garden cura
    Jayne Anderson
    Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The first thing I loved about this book was the intriguing title and then when I saw the cover I knew it was a book that I really wanted to read. I was thrilled to receive a proof copy of this book and I have to say it is as wonderful as the title. It’s a powerful and emotional journey that when I finished the last page left my deep in my own thoughts but also in a strange way very uplifted. When the worst happens in life there is still a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have to confess that I w
    Lynn Brown
    I usually love books set in Japan, and whilst this one did remind me in some ways of my time spent in Japan I didn't feel the presence like I have in other books.

The story is based on a real life location of the "wind phone" although they ask that tourists do not visit. It is certainly a sad story of those lost in the Tsunami in Japan in 2011, and whilst this is fiction it is obviously a very true depiction of what many suffered.

The idea of being able to talk to those that have passed through a
    Phil Stokoe
    Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is a book that I had never heard of until I saw a friend mention it in a post in a Facebook group, and it is certainly not my “usual” kind of book by any means. However, I will try pretty much any book and decide if I like or loath it based on the book itself and not any preconceived notions about it.

I was intrigued by the premise, and my friend has never steered me wrong on books before, despite this not being an actual recommendation from her, so I dived right in and am glad I did. I don’
    Claire
    Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I started reading this just as lockdown came into play so reading it has been coloured somewhat by the changes and challenges we are facing in the world today. It's also why I have been slow to read it, lingering over some of the passages which are written with a lightness of touch but which are dense with meaning. It is, quite simply, a beautiful book about trauma (that doesn't talk directly about trauma). The chapters are short and poetic with some chapters simply footnotes on the previous cha ...more
    Isabella Ruffell
    Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Based on a real place in Japan, The Phone Box at the Edge of the World is centred around a phone box in a rural Japanese village, where people go to talk to their loved ones who have passed away. I had no idea this was a real place, and I just found the whole idea of it so lovely and sad.

At the heart of the story is love and acceptance. A beautiful friendship blossoms between two users of the phone box, both suffering from huge familial losses. I loved both Yui and Takeshi who were believable an
    Hanlie
    Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    What a delightful read! It's a beautiful story about loss and hope.

Two strangers meet on their way looking for the "Wind phone". A phone box in a beautiful garden where you can go and speak to the loved ones you have lost.
    It's such a wonderful idea!

"Then it struck Yui that the function of the telephone, rather than channel and guide voices into a single ear, was to broadcast them into the wind"

For years Yui and Takeshi would return and in the end, the story turns into a tender love story. A
    Claire Thorpe
    Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A beautiful story - The phonebox is a real place in Japan - its a place where you can talk to loved ones who have died, the phone is a disconnected old phone that when you lift up the receiver you can hear the wind whistling.
    The book is a story about survival and grief. Its about the aftermath of the Tsunami in 2001 and how the main charchter Yui grieves . There are lots of stories of the people who travel to the phonebox to talk on the wind phone. Yui travels there once a month with a friend T
    Emandherbooks
    Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I really loved this book. I felt after having lost someone fairly recently, that this was incredibly relatable and emotional. It helped shine perspective that everyone's experience of grief is different but also the same. I think that depending on your experiences you'll take something different from this story.

There were so so many poignant quotes that will stay with me and I really enjoyed the mix of chapters to break up the main text. The plot was incredibly subtle and the characters were lig
    Rebecca Veight
    Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    There is a phone box in a garden in Otsuchi, Japan a place devastated by the tsunami of March 11th 2011. Connected to nothing there is a black telephone that carries voices in the wind. People travel from miles away to talk to those they have lost.

We follow Yui's pilgrimage to the phone box and learn of her terrible loss, accompany her on her journey of grief, maybe even silently work through some of our own. I lost my mother last year to dementia so this book was like a balsam, soothing to my s
    Maris
    Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2o2o
    I'm struggling to form thoughts to comprehend my feelings towards this book, but I'll try my best to write them down.

The Phone Box at the Edge of the World was a sweet and spiritual read, of loss, of love, of connectedness and of survival. It's characters falling together was sweet and (almost) seamless. I enjoyed the different lives merging together over a shared feeling of grief, and the place that helps them heal.

But despite this, I felt a slight disconnect from the characters, they never fel
    Bookclubforme
    Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You know those type of books that rein you in with the first few chapters and pull on the old heart strings?..
    You do? Well this is one of those books.

Yui lost her Mother and young daughter tragically after a tsunami hit. Takeshi has lost his wife. Both seek out The Wind Phone, an old disconnected phone box in the garden of a stranger, said to carry your voice to the people you have lost. This is how they meet, just when they needed each other, almost like it was meant to be. Takeshi picks up the
    Irene
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I totally loved this book!
    Laura Imai Messina is my favourite Italian writer and I can only recommend all of her books!
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
    • A Christmas Carol
    • The Big Sleep
    • Herzog
    • Mr Palomar
    • Storia ragionata della sartoria americana nel secondo dopoguerra e altre storie
    • The New York Trilogy
    • Chiamami soltanto amore
    • Crossing Over
    • Il panettone non bastò
    • Ni d'Ève ni d'Adam
    Laura Imai Messina è nata a Roma e si è laureata in Lettere all’Università la Sapienza.

Si è trasferita a Tokyo a ventitré anni per perfezionare la lingua e da allora abita stabilmente in Giappone. Ha ottenuto un dottorato di primo livello in Culture Comparate presso l’International Christian University con una tesi sulla scrittrice giapponese Ogawa Yōko e ha conseguito presso la Tokyo University o

News & Interviews

“Every week had been a struggle; every month simply hours stacked up in the attic, for a future that might never arrive.” 1 likes
    “Sometimes she cried, sometimes she laughed, because life could still be funny, even after a tragedy.” 0 likes