Start by marking “The Daphne Du Maurier Companion” as Want to Read:
The Daphne Du Maurier Companion

The Daphne Du Maurier Companion

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Daphne du Maurier is one of Britain's best-loved authors, her writing capturing the imagination in a way that few have been able to equal. Rebecca, her most famous novel, was a huge success on first publication and brought du Maurier international fame. This enduring classic remains one of the nation's favourite books.
In this celebration of Daphne du Maurier's life and ac
Published May 3rd 2007 by Virago (first published April 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Daphne Du Maurier Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daphne Du Maurier Companion

Nancy Oakes
Like a 3.8
playing catch-up again -- story of my life lately.

In the introduction to this book, editor Helen Taylor notes that the goal of this volume is to
"demonstrate the scope of her concerns and achievements -- hopefully to quell for ever the myth of a humourless, Cornish cliff-walking upper-middle-class recluse who wrote only one good book."
And while it is true that a very large section of this book consists of introductions to other works by du Maurier (all of the Virago editions), it seem
Rachael Eyre
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
As a longstanding du Maurier fan, this sounded right up my alley. It turned out to be something of a mixed bag: the interviews with family and friends were fascinating, but I could have done without some of the film critiques. I also didn't realise that the overviews of the books, rather than being unique material for this volume, were the Introductions in the Virago print run- all of which I've already read!

Would love some fresh insights on my favourites (My Cousin Rachel and The House on the
Ruth Brumby
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
It has taken me a long time to read this book, because it led me onto reading several du Maurier novels in between sections, which was perhaps part of the point. It has also made me want to read the Margaret Forster biography. I certainly have a more rounded view of Daphne du Maurier now and learned a good deal about her life, writing and place in the culture of the times 30s to 80s. It was a coup to find a previously unpublished story which is well places at the end of the book. It was a good i ...more
Samantha