Start by marking “Blood Winter” as Want to Read:
Blood Winter

Blood Winter

Vampires are attempting to integrate into human society. When Alec MacCarthy first meets a ‘haemophile’ in the flesh, it’s not the obvious dangers that frighten him.

Alec MacCarthy, Lord of Aviemore and largely-forgotten descendent of a once-proud family line, keeps the wolf from the door of the crumbling family mansion by restoring classic cars.

He leaves the real world alo
Published December 29th 2020 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Winter

Start your review of Blood Winter
True Loveislovereview
That was one adventurous journey, with moments of silence but more of strong noise and feelings with weight.

Alec MacCarthy, Lord of Aviemore, is restoring classic cars. He is a quiet, melancholic man. He lives withdrawn from society in his Scottish hideaway and rarely interacts with others. A glimpse of his life will immediately intrigue you. He seems to be a prisoner of his past, and he has vivid dreams, frightening ones. His friend, Meg, begs him to join her at a party. Attending this party wi
Gerbera_Reads
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The blurb really intrigued me, so I decided to give this new to me author a try. I can say this - the story was a lot darker than I expected which was not necessarily a bad thing. For one it suited the world the author sort of built and it also suited the MCs - broody loner of a human and a haemophile with mysterious past. The outlook on haemophiles/vampires was not overly new but had couple of points that stood out among others. Told from a single POV the story was steadily paced, with low roma ...more
Hannah Kendal
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to the author for providing this in return for an honest review!

I really enjoyed this book, the characters were captivating and the plot was gripping - I read it in two sittings, having to take a break in between to ensure another review was done in time for a tour deadline and it gripped me just as quickly the second time as it did the first - which I sometimes find a rare quality in a book.

As a story it’s a perfect tasty morsel, not too short and not too long. It follows th
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lbr, mm, ebook, vampire

4.5 stars - It’s been quite a while since I’ve read a paranormal/vampire story with unique aspects. This debut story brings us that with the story of heamophiles (vampires) who, after having been outed to the public, are mostly trying to integrate with society. Due to the difficulties involved and the various sides not wanting to co-exist, many find it easier to remain on their own. Terj goes against this when he leaves the safety of his home to venture out where he is captured/kidnapped and kep
Joyffree
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-tbr
Fantasy - Suspense - Romance

This wasn't your typical romance story.
There were plenty of extremely heated moments but I felt like their relationship played secondary to the main storyline - IDK how to explain it (probably why I am the reader and not the writer 🤷 )
The story was engaging and suspenseful filled with some twists that had me questioning events - How did I miss that?
The characters, even the ones who played small cameos, were so vivid - not in an in your face way - each characters acti
Shari Sakurai
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this novel for free in exchange for an honest review*

Reclusive Alec MacCarthy, the Lord of Aviemore and last of his family line has no interest in the world outside his father’s mansion home. He passes the time by restoring classic cars in a distant kind of existence rather than actually living a life, and Alec likes it that way. Outside his Scottish highland home haemophiles - vampires - are now known to the world and are doing their best to co-exist in human society. Howe
Kaila
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
lemme tell you.. i dont read many vampires anymore but this cover is gorgeous and caught me attention.. and then the blurb just shouted... read me.. so i did.. and holy hell im glad i did. this was perfection and wonderful. i loved it so much. this def isnt a romance... it made me think.. it made me happy.. and it was just well written. i cant wait for more.
Joyfully Jay
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

Blood Winter is author S.J. Coles’ take on vampires in contemporary times. It features first person narration from Alec MacCarthy’s perspective. The character is arguably “not like everyone else.” Some of his differences are very plainly incorporated into him: he is, nominally at least, a lord; he lives in an (albeit crumbling) estate; he likes living well apart from nearly every single other human and does not mind having spotty means of connecting to the people
Charlotte
Blood Winter is the debut novel of S.J. Coles and it's extraordinary. This is an author to add to follow for certain.

In this luscious world that Coles has created… vampires or haemophiles are beginning the difficult task of co-existence with human beings. Naturally, there is push back from both sides, misunderstandings and ample potential for abuse.

Alec MacCarthy is the Lord of Aviemore, living in the family mansion he inherited and repairing classic cars for a living. The title of Lord isn't so
Josh Dale
There are so many paranormal vampire books out there. And I have read my fair share of them. If you think that there can not be a freshly written Vampire story? Think again.

Blood Winter is a fresh and exciting read.

We have Haemophiles (vampires) living alongside each other. Though the tension between the two species is quite hostile. And what is fresh about this story is the way that it is the humans that are the bad guys.

You see vampire blood is addictive to humans, and the Rich as with drugs c
Ari MM Romance Quotes
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of Blood Winter by the author per request, in order to post about it on Instagram/mmromancequotes. Thank you so much!!

What impressed me the most about this book was the rich imagery in it. The mountains, the castle, the snow, the unsettling introduction of a mistery element that you know is going to create tension at some point: a new species of outcasts that are feared by many.

I loved the friendship between Meg & Alec, she's awesome even though her brother is quite problemati
R
Alec lives in his run down, broken castle. Away from people, immersing himself in car restoration. As a favor to his one friend he goes to a party which implodes his quiet existence.

When starved Terje awakens to a man feeding him a bag of blood, his world also changes drastically. As a vampire he shouldn’t have any feelings for Alec but something between them won’t be denied.

I found this book difficult to get into. I liked the story and the characters but I didn’t love it. I’ve not read anythin
Cheryl
Shelves: acr
Thank you for the ARC read, I voluntarily give this book an honest review.  Lord Aviemore "Alec" had done a favour to Meg as a friend only not once but twice he was talked in to leaving behind his home to go to social party. On the night of Jon Ogdell dinner party at his new hunting lodge/ renovated keep thing turn bad to worse as he learn of a donor in the basement. Watching the haemophile kill Brody, A recuse turned kidnapping leaves Alec questions not just bad luck but which he will live. Ter ...more
Cathy Brockman
Warning: There is violence, murder, kidnapping, blood stealing, drug use, and addiction. Alec though, the Lord of Aviemore prefers to live alone and restore cars. He doesn't like lots of people or big parties but his best friend Meg talks him into going to a club opening so she can get a big client for her law firm. He is pretty sure they are using her to get at his land but he goes along, finding himself in a bad situation.‘Haemophile’   still called vampires are integrating in with humans but ...more
RACHEL REED
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was an action packed adventure and so very different than I expected.

First off, the descriptions and the details the author has put into the imagery makes reading this book so vibrant and interesting.

This was a good blend of Paranormal and Contemporary. Which I absolutely loved.
This one had suspense, intrigue, drama and romance. Basically all the elements of a great book.

S.J. Coles is a new to me author and I definitely look forward to reading more from her.
The characters were likeable and
Stephanie W
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
In a crumbling Scottish castle, Alec "Lord Aviemore" McCarthy lives a life of seclusion. With a complicated life already in the balance, he unknowingly attends a "blood party" and his life is no longer the same.

Terje is the haemophile obtained for the party and is the vessel from which the guests are to drink from. In abject fear of all that is happening at such a pace, he receives help from an surprising source.

Terje awakens to a man, Alec, feeding him and both their live are forever intertwin
Stephanie (Yes I’m a Book Addict)
My New Year Resolution? To write more reviews.

Blood Winter was not what I was expecting and everything I hoped it would be. I’m left with a book hangover after binge reading it all day—for the first time since 2019.

This isn’t a romance. It can’t be for the way the author set up the world in her debut novel. While I wished for a little more of it, I appreciated the new approach to vampires (no sparkles here!) and the otherness of their nature.

Told from the point of view of Alec, the reclusive an
Anna Tarrant
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author of this book is a good friend of mine but my word, what a story! I’m an avid reader and this book was just a brilliant read. It’s not my usual genre but I consumed it eagerly in less than 2 days (I have 2 young kids and a full time job so that’s quick for me!). S. J Cole creates enthralling characters who you absolutely believe in, buy into and enjoy. The book is fast paced and has a great balance of adventure, romance and danger. The characters are also written with an emotional inte ...more
Ellen
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm not really sure what to think about this book. On the one hand I liked the world the author has created, and how it's different from other "vampire" books that I've read. On the other hand, the ending left me feeling up in the air and wondering if they are really going to make it. I don't always need to have an HEA in the books that I read, but this ending left me with so many questions that I just kind of cocked my head and went, "Hmm."

I think this is the first book I've read by this author
K.D. Ellis
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reviewing in exchange for ARC copy...

3.5 stars, rounding up to 4. This book definitely had a slow start for me, but when it finally did pick up, I found myself thoroughly entertained. I enjoyed the novelty of the haemophiles, it was definitely a unique concept even if I feel like the author could have pushed it even further, as we didn't truly get to see much interaction between them and humans until the second half, and then only sporadically. It was almost 40% of the way through when we are fi
Bronwyn Heeley
If it interests you, you should try it out.

I writing was a little dry, and the characters where definitely people, in a rich people being rich, and ambitious people being ambitious, tho I liked the lore even if it didn’t intrigue me enough.

It wasn’t for me. I found it boring and couldn’t get myself to continue into the book, it’s a very long start to where it’s going and I just, well, couldn’t get myself there unfortunately.

However, I know this book could be great in someone else’s hands. It jus
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
A chilling and haunted tale of second chances on life and discovering love in unlikely places. I really enjoyed this new world. The concept was unique and interesting. I loved watching the characters grow and develop throughout the story.

M.J. Calabrese
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical Vampire story

Strong story with equally strong characters. Very reflective of what is happening now in the world. The romance is different, the bad guys are threatening and the sex is steamy. Loved this story.
Janet Hunt
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic world building. Alec thrives on working on and restoring old cars while living in a broken-down castle. He “rescues” a haemophile at a blood party that he was invited to. The story was full of twist and turns. This took me a bit to get into, but overall I really enjoyed the story. I’m voluntarily reviewing from an advanced copy that I received.
M
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021, m-m
*3 stars*
Fearne Hill
An interesting take on a vampire story. Loved the location and Terje. Beautiful, beautiful cover. Will definitely read more from this author.
Jerri
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the vampire genre. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Well written, cold and snowy, a satisfying read.
Caroline Brand
Jan 07, 2021
Sunniva
Dec 31, 2020
Minkle
Jan 09, 2021

• Desires of a Monster
  • Elysium (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #6)
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • Demon's Wish (Demons Mates #1)
  • Merry Measure
  • The Alpha's Mage (Wild Magic #1)
  • Just a Bit Wrecked (Straight Guys, #11)
  • Handled (Handled, #1)
  • Their Dark Reflections
  • Redemption (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #5)
  • Pretty Boy (Perfect Boys #1)
  • Master Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #2)
  • A Thousand Lifetimes
  • Morgan Le Fay: Small Things and Great (Fata Morgana Book I)
  • Safe (In Midsummer, #5)
  • The Faker Rulebook
  • Breath mints / battle scars
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)

News & Interviews