Start by marking “Sue MacDonald Had a Book” as Want to Read:
Sue MacDonald Had a Book

Sue MacDonald Had a Book

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
What would you do if a bunch of letters jumped right off the page while you were reading a book? Run after them, of course. Join Sue MacDonald as she travels from a railroad station to a sewer to a mountain peak and more, all in an attempt to capture her renegade vowels. Reading a book has never been so interactive!

Jim Tobin's clever text—based on a favorite children's son
Published July 21st 2009 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Sue MacDonald Had a Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sue MacDonald Had a Book

Esmoi
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Weelll... I have to confess that I never much cared for books that involve letters of the alphabet as characters.

My four year old picked out this one at the library randomly and was mildly disappointed in it. He enjoyed picking out the letters he recognized on the last page, and the story did spark a conversation about vowels, but he was mostly bored by the story (which contorts itself awkwardly and references place names outside the lexicon of the typical young child in order to fit the meter
Ina
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and creative concept book that invites a Storytime audience to participate. I believe it can be sung - if the reader is so inclined, but upon first reading I couldn't get the rhythm right...that is why this book didn't get five stars. There is a repeating "chorus" of AEIOU, which my audience loved to chant with me. The illustrations are bright and funny and the text is rhyming. What did Sue do when all the vowels ran away? She went on a wild chase to catch them and return them, of ...more
Brenda Kimble
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sue MacDonald, was a great book to read. The colored layout of the illustrations on the white back ground just made the letters look so real. I really enjoyed the story line. This book touches on all of the core subject’s toughs in a classroom for young children. Vowels that children need to know for sounding spelling and reading are wonderfully organized. Children will remember the information just hearing the story once. Children can pick up on counting and social study discussions by talking ...more
Karen
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He likes his letter books.

Of course, I sang the book (with no difficulty). The rhythm was slightly different from "Old MacDonald" but it was still easy enough to make it fit. My son sang the vowels, so no problem there.

The illustrations aren't my favorite style -- too cartoony -- but they do work well with this book.

Shanshad Whelan
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Trying too hard to make a book's story text scan to an old song is no way too make a picture book. I tried reading this aloud to actually get the feel of the "old macdonald" tune to this text and it. just. didn't. work.

An idea may be clever, but the overall excecution of this leaves a lot to be desired.
Angela
Dec 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of singing the book to my son. However -- and maybe this is just me -- I really struggled to get the book's words to fit to the tune. Just a few too many syllables. Okay other than that. Liked that they demonstrated different uses for each vowel during the character's search for it. But overall, felt like it was trying to do too much.
Chrystie Sargent
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I used this one for my Phonics class. The kids, I don't think, really understand what vowels are at the stage they are at, but it was a fun book for introducing them to the idea of vowels and the names of those particular letters. As a project we are going to make our own vowel books!
Amalia
This is cute for learning vowels to the tune of "Old MacDonald". Not a fabulous standout, but I could see its use in school. The layout and illustrations could do better to support the rhythm of the rhyme.
Stephanie Martin
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book 30: I truly did enjoy this book. And of course I had to sing it out loud to the rhythm of "Old Mcdonald". It was a very clever way of getting kids to enjoy this book. It sure got me hooked!
Sherri
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Phonological awareness. Print awareness. Letter awareness.
Bright fun illustrations. Can be sung and can have audience involvement.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »