Start by marking “Children's Fate (The Meonbridge Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Children's Fate (The Meonbridge Chronicles #4)

Children's Fate

(The Meonbridge Chronicles #4)

Kindle Edition
Published October 26th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Children's Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children's Fate

Start your review of Children's Fate (The Meonbridge Chronicles #4)
Cathy
Children’s Fate is the fourth in Carolyn Hughes’ series about the village of Meonbridge. Readers new to the series  – or those who need their memories jogged – need not worry because the author incorporates useful recaps on events in the first three books.  Indeed, new readers may be surprised to learn that life in Meonbridge has not been without incident over the years.

As before, Children’s Fate explores the social and economic impacts of the Black Death on life.  “Folk weren’t tied to manors a
The Cats’ Mother
Children’s Fate is the fourth book in the Meonbridge Chronicles, a saga about the inhabitants of a fictional village in Hampshire, England, in the fourteenth century. I’ve read and very much enjoyed the first three, in the last couple of years, and do recommend reading them in order, although you do get plenty of backstory to fill in the gaps if you haven’t. I was invited to beta read this by the author and submitted my comments back to her directly.

Beginning in 1361, about five years after the
L.S.
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Children’s Fate is the fourth in the series set in the village of Meonbridge in the fourteenth century and, like its predecessor, it’s a gem. I say predecessor in the singular because, to date, I’ve only been to Meonbridge once before, in book three – De Bohun’s Destiny – but it was a most memorable read, so much so I knew I had to read this latest instalment. Besides, it was a joy to pick up with old characters to see how the years had treated them.

Fourteenth century England sees both progress
Anne
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Let me tell you more about why I love this series. I don’t read that much historical fiction really – and when I do, I’m always rather more comfortable if there’s a contemporary thread to draw me into a story. But there’s no contemporary thread to these books, but I’ve been amazed that every one I’ve read has immediately swept me back into fourteenth century life, completely comfortable to be there. The historical authenticity is quite exceptional – I’ve said before that these aren’t books you s ...more
Jessica Belmont
Children’s Fate by Carolyn Hughes is the fourth book in the Meonbridge Chronicles. There is plenty of backstop to allow this to be read as a standalone, but I would love to read the other books when I can!

Last year, I became a fan of historical fiction. This book is one of the reasons I enjoy the genre. This novel covers average people who are coping with terrible losses. Themes of maternal relationships. I’m not a mother yet, but it still was very deep and relatable.

I love historical fiction wh
Barbara
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn Hughes – Children´s Fate (Meonbridge Chronicles 4)
The fourth installment of the Meonbridge Chronicles re-acquaints the reader with the well-known inhabitants of Meonbridge, a fictitious village in Hampshire. In 1360, two years after having been widowed for the second time, Emma Ward and her three surviving children Beatrix, Ami and Bart are living in Winchester. Emma is working as a weaver, her sixteen-year-old daughter Bea is serving an apprenticeship with the embroiderer Sybilla Broude
Chloe 'hichlochu'
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction is not my favourite genre, it is a genre in which I am really picky about. But this book peaked my interest the moment I read the blurb. As I opened the sin laced pages or deciet, control and love, I was lost in the muck covered streets of Winchester. I struggled to find my way home.

The book follows a few different points of view, the main two however are Emma; a seamstress who has worked her way up from her country roots and the struggle to put food on the table. The second i
Bookmarkthatuk
Mini-review: I don’t feel right giving this a star rating, as it is the fourth book in the series, and although I was told it *can* be read as a standalone, I do think the reason I wasn’t a huge fan of it is because I hadn’t read the previous books.

I do want to share why you might like it, as I know my historical fiction readers are always looking:
- I enjoyed the characters, but couldn’t feel too much emotion to them; I think going back to the first book in this series will help a lot.
- You rea
M. Hollingsworth
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No spoilers! I have read all the Meonbridge Chronicles and enjoyed them so eagerly anticipated this latest one and it did not disappoint. Carolyn has created a whole community with interesting and engaging characters that you want to know more about and each book focusses on different ones. Children's Fate looks primarily at the younger generation and the challenges they face in a world of limited opportunity, superstition and returning pestilence. I'm not a medieval scholar but the historical c ...more
Wendy Robey
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is such a great historical read. The writing transports you to medieval England and the difficulties with life and death of them time. The historical research needed must have been extremely detailed and you can empathise with every character. I especially like Alice and her calm approach to everything.
I hadn’t read any of the previous instalments of this series, and although this can definitely be read as a standalone, I feel it would have been a richer experience for me if I’d read the e
Dennis Wheeler
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I have enjoyed Carolyn Hughes’ previous books. I enjoy historical fiction and have read a lot. Usually the characters and stories are about the kings, noblemen, leaders and chiefs. And virtually all of these are men. In Children’s Fate, the characters are mostly women and mostly part of the peasant community, the endless workers who are often in the background of other novels.
Set in the middle ages, after one bout of plague and as a second infection arrives, th
Katherine
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fourth Meonbridge Chronicle, Children’s Fate, doesn’t fail to educate, entertain, enlighten and encompass all aspects of life in medieval England when the plague returns with a twist. Carolyn Hughes writes superb, well-researched, accurate engaging fiction novels based on historical events. They are thoroughly enjoyable and I can’t wait for the next one. This one should go to the top of your ‘to be read’ pile as it is perhaps the best one yet!
Full disclosure: I received an ARC of this from
Bonnie Gentry
Nov 23, 2020
JudyAnn
Nov 25, 2020

• De Bohun's Destiny (The Meonbridge Chronicles, #3)
  • The Mystery of Montague House: An English cosy murder mystery (Summer & Wynter Mysteries Book 1)
  • New Arrivals at Hedgehog Hollow: The new heartwarming, uplifting page-turner from Jessica Redland
  • The Girl Who Turned A Blind Eye
  • Fortune's Wheel (The Meonbridge Chronicles #1)
  • Christmas Wishes
  • In Pursuit of Happiness
  • The Forgotten Gift: What would you do to protect the ones you love?
  • The Skylark's Secret
  • The Spark
  • The Villa of Dreams: The perfect uplifting escapist read for winter 2020 from top 10 bestseller Lucy Coleman
  • The Push
  • Imperfect Alchemist
  • How the Penguins Saved Veronica
  • Heading Over the Hill: The perfect funny, uplifting read for 2020
  • Christmas for Beginners
  • This Year Maybe (Aliss's Adventures Book 2)
  • The Last Correspondent
Carolyn Hughes was born in London, but has lived most of her life in Hampshire. After a first degree in Classics and English, she started her working life as a computer programmer, in those days a very new profession. It was fun for a few years, but she left to become a school careers officer in Dorset.

But it was when she discovered technical authoring that she knew she had found her vocation. She

The Meonbridge Chronicles (4 books)
  • Fortune's Wheel (The Meonbridge Chronicles #1)
  • A Woman's Lot (The Meonbridge Chronicles #2)
  • De Bohun's Destiny (The Meonbridge Chronicles, #3)