Start by marking “Blackout” as Want to Read:

Blackout

Six critically acclaimed, bestselling, and award-winning authors bring the glowing warmth and electricity of Black teen love to this interlinked novel of charming, hilarious, and heartwarming stories that shine a bright light through the dark.

A summer heatwave blankets New York City in darkness. But as the city is thrown into confusion, a different kind of electricity spar
Expected publication: June 22nd 2021 by Quill Tree Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 26, 2021
    Enter for the chance to win an advance copy of this swoony blockbuster book brimming with Black joy and romance, by six of today’s most renowned YA au ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2824 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 29, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Blackout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackout

Start your review of Blackout
    Tatiana
    Mar 17, 2021 rated it liked it
    Shelves: ppb, 2021, short-stories, ya

I think this book successfully achieves what it had set out to do - to feature stories of Black kids in love.

Blackout is essentially a collection of 6 short stories, all set over one summer evening in NYC, when the city goes dark for a few hours. All characters are a part of a big, vibrant, multigenerational group of people connected to each other in various ways. You'll read about first meetings and heartbreaks and rekindling of old feelings. The book makes a point to highlight all k
    rachel ☾
    A novel of six interlinked stories of Black love, the book is set on a single day during a summer heatwave that causes a power outage across New York City.

this line up is *chef's kiss*

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
    Maggie
    Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    I'm not much of a romance fan, but this book was a lot of fun (and the romances weren't super cheesy). I absolutely loved the concept: Each story is a low-key, contemporary romance featuring African-American protagonists, all set during a blackout in NYC. For even more fun, all of the stories are connected to the other because, ultimately, all of the characters (some who know each other, and some who don't) are all heading to a block party in Brooklyn. It's just delightful. And . .. it's written ...more
    Anushka
    Mar 28, 2021 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: ya, contemporary
    A short story by Angie Thomas? And there's Nic Stone too? Give. it. to. me! ...more
    VL
    Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This was beautifully put together. I loved every story and how they were interconnected.
    Chelsea Stringfield
    Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: staff-rec, ya
    Pleeeease let someone turn this into a movie.
    Ameema Saeed
    Sweet, and lovely. I would watch the heck out of this movie!

I enjoyed each of the stories & POVs (which doesn’t normally happen). There was some great queer rep, and there were some lovely friendships. This book made me think of Summer, and dancing, and eating ice cream - and it kind of made me feel that way too! What a delight.

Parker J
    Nov 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
    okay...wow. I need this.
    Kelly Hager
    Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This book was just a complete joy to read. I loved every story and the way that characters would pop up in other stories. I've been reading heavier things lately and this was the perfect antidote to that. And it also cements just how incredibly talented these women are because this is against type for most of them, and also a very hard thing to pull off. (Because I would imagine a collaboration between two authors is hard enough but six?)

I love everything about this and I hope they do this again
    ˗ˏˋ saoudia! ˎˊ˗
    Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    AMAZING BOOK! review to come on my blog : withlovesaoudia.wordpress.com
    Andee
    Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC in exchange for review.

I was SO excited to read this book...ever since the announcement by some of my favorite authors. It did NOT disappoint. The brainchild of Dhonielle Clayton, this COVID-quarantine project pulled in the best of the best to write an interwoven, short story collection ANY teen will love. I may be a 50 yr old, suburban, white woman - but I know the importance of own voices, ESPECIALLY in a meet-cute, young love, beach read novel.

I'm old enough
    Amie
    Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: giveaways
    I won this book in a #goodreadsgiveaway and I am so grateful!

Blackout is a collaboration of short stories by Dhonielle Clayton, Tiffany D. Jackson, Nic Stone, Angie Thomas, Ashley Woodfolk, and Nicola Yoon. In this well crafted book, New York City is in a summer blackout. Each author tells one part of the overall narrative where characters overlap and relationships are formed. It is a book celebrating young love and giving us a little bit of light in the darkness.
    Jenn
    Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: own, arc
    It is HOT in the summer in NYC when there's a blackout. A group of friends and acquaintances are separately in pairs making their way across the city to a block party with varying results. And there's love all around... Six amazing, award-winning author's worked together to create these loosely related stories and I loved it! I'm not usually one for short stories, but this was different and it really worked. I highly recommend! ...more
    Mackenzie Lauka
    Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    I was able to read an eARC and it was such a quick read and fun love story! I loved how all the stories connected together and were parter of a greater homage to NYC. Definitely is one to check out when it releases this summer!
    CynnieRose
    Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Loved every single character. Each one felt like someone I know.
    Jen
    Mar 15, 2021 rated it liked it
    3.5
    Confession: I have not read anything by these authors except Nicola Yoon, and this was such a good way to get introduced to their writing. I like that this is more than your usual collection of short stories, as they actually all come together under a certain event. Brilliant.
    Great Books
    In the heatwave that blankets New York City in a blackout, a different kind of electricity shines a light in the darkness. Blackout consists of six linked stories about Black teenage love and all its joy, hope, and heartbreak.

Reviewer #1
    Apr 10, 2021

• Firekeeper's Daughter
    • Instructions for Dancing
    • The Mary Shelley Club
    • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
    • Amelia Unabridged
    • Katie the Catsitter
    • Ace of Spades
    • That Way Madness Lies
    • Fat Chance, Charlie Vega
    • Black Boy Joy
    • XOXO
    • Blood Like Magic (Blood Like Magic, #1)
    • Hot British Boyfriend
    • Facing the Sun
    • Float Plan
    • Darling
    • Flamer
    • Lost in the Never Woods
    Born and raised in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., Dhonielle spent much of her childhood hiding beneath her grandmother's dining table with a stack of books. As an English teacher at a ballet academy, Clayton rediscovered her passion for children's and young adult literature. To ground herself in the canon, she pursued her Masters in Children's Literature from Hollins University before receiving ...more