Start by marking “Before You Were Gone (Eastbourne Murder Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Before You Were Gone (Eastbourne Murder Mystery, #3)

Before You Were Gone

(Eastbourne Murder Mystery #3)

The truth can’t stay buried forever…

Emer Doran’s life was torn apart when her sister, Kitty, drowned. Her body was never recovered. Twenty years later, Emer sees a woman who is the image of Kitty. In that brief moment, Emer is convinced – her sister is alive.

Dee Doran jumps at the chance to get to know her long-lost cousin when Emer calls asking to meet. But it is not the
Published January 28th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Before You Were Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before You Were Gone

Start your review of Before You Were Gone (Eastbourne Murder Mystery, #3)
Lou
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Before You Were Gone is the third instalment in The Eastbourne Murder Mystery series, featuring retired journalist and amateur sleuth/Private Investigator (P.I.) Dee Doran. The story begins with Emer Doran, Dee’s cousin, on board a busy tube train in London on the last day of her holiday as she makes her way back to her hotel to collect her luggage and head to the airport. She had initially been in The Big Smoke for a job interview but her mother, Ursula, had once again managed to make her daugh ...more
Linda Strong
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Emer Doran unexpectedly sees her sister, Kitty. Very surprising since her sister drowned twenty years ago. Her body was never found and Emer has always felt she didn't die.

No one seems to believe her .. not her father who walked out on them after Kitty's accident, not her mother who wants only to control her daughter, not friends who didn't even know her sister.

Working temporarily in London, Emer reaches out to her cousin, woman Emer has never met. Dee jumps at the chance to meet and get to know
Annie
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Set in Ireland and the UK, this is a crime novel which concerns the death of Emer's (the main character) sister. She drowned as a child, but Emer is not convinced that she is dead. This feeling is heightened when she sees her sister on the tube in London. The sisters'cousin, who lives in Eastbourne is an investigative reporter. She (Dee) starts to delve into the case, ruffling a few feathers along the way. The book is written from different viewpoints , Mainly Dee (the cousin) and Emer, but also ...more
marnie | once upon a time book reviews
Before You Were Gone is the third instalment in the Eastbourne series featuring journalist Dee Doran and whilst it can be read as a standalone, I do encourage you to read the previous two books to fully immerse yourself in it’s brilliance. You won’t be disappointed!

When Dee Doran receives a call from her long lost cousin Emer, wanting her help in locating a woman whom she believes is her dead sister Kitty, Dee jumps at the chance. But the deeper she becomes involved, the more herself and Emer pu
LISA MARKHAM
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow there are a few twists in this one! Just when you’ve worked out the characters, the author whips it all up and it’s not quite as it seems... This an enjoyable read with plenty going on from the start. Kitty drowned when she was on holiday with her mum and sister, but then Emer is sure she has seen her on a train years later..her estranged cousin Dee is an Investigative reporter and gets involved hunting down the person thought to be Kitty after being contacted out of the blue by Emer....but ...more
Maureen
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of Sheila Bugler’s Before You Were Gone, book 3 in the Dee Doran series and released 28 January next year. Dee is an Investigative Reporter and she has a knack for finding herself in some hairy situations. Sheila paints a great picture of the characters, with details that make them come alive. The surprises during the story keep you on your toes – just when you think you know what’s happening, the story goes in another direction. It was hard to put the b ...more
theliterateleprechaun
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
“Before You Were Gone,” is a literary masterpiece written by Irish crime writer Sheila Bugler. Although this is the third book in her Eastbourne Murder Mystery series, it can stand alone. For lovers of crime fiction, this completely gripping suspense with strong potential for screen adaptation, is a must-read and worth pre-ordering before publication date of January 28, 2021.

Ever since her sister Kitty drowned 20 years ago, Emer Doran’s life has continued to go downhill. In addition to losing
Barbara
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I’m guilty of being a bit of a fan girl for Sheila Bugler along with a couple of Canelo Crime authors. When I saw that this Arc was available, I requested it immediately.
Once again, we travel to Eastbourne into the complicated life of journalist Dee Doran. Burdened with a whole host of issues, Doran is a complex protagonist who wrestles with overindulgence and self-doubt. This time, we visit Dee’s patriarchal line and find th
Mystica
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Children going missing or dying suddenly is always traumatic. Especially if you live in a small town where everyone is affected by this. Kitty drowns in an accident and then another girl goes missing. The town and the families are never the same.

Fast forward twenty years and Dee is almost a hundred percent certain a person she glimpsed at a station was her long dead, drowned sister Kitty. Scoffed at by many Dee knows what she has seen, and is adamant that her sister is alive. Joining hands with
Renee
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-netgalley
Emer Doran’s life is a mess. Her sister Kitty drowned 20 years ago, but Emer has never believed the story she was told. Emer’s mother is anything but maternal, and if it were not for her stepfather intervening, their arguments would never end. When Emer goes to London for a job interview, she can hardly believe her eyes. She spots Kitty, though she quickly loses her in a crowd. No one believes her, but she knows what she saw and is determined to find her sister.
Emer begs her cousin Dee to help h
Tamsin Preece
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Kitty Doran died as a teenager. So why is her sister Emer convinced she saw her on a train?

This mystery jumps about rather a lot and is filled with a whole host of characters- many of whom are completely unnecessary to the plot. Dee was quite a bizarre character who was only to keen to get herself involved in everyone’s issues with no hesitation. I didn’t realise she was the main character in earlier novels and perhaps she makes more sense of you’ve met her before!

The story itself is quite com
Pat Pullum
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Kitty, Emer's sister, died 20 years ago. Everyone presumed she had drowned as the 2 girls had been playing on the beach when Kitty wandered off. Now 20 years later Emer is convinced she has just seen her sister. She tried calling her name, but the woman took off. Determined to get to the bottom of this, Emer enlists the help from a cousin Dee, whom she hardly even knows. What they uncover is a lifetime of secrets and lies.
This mystery is entertaining. I did read it and enjoyed it for the most pa
Deb
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews-arc
This is the third in the Eastbourne Murder Mystery series but it reads well as a standalone story.

Emer Doran’s life is a mess, her sister Kitty drowned 20 years ago & Emer has never really settled at anything since. However, her life changes forever when she thinks she sees Kitty on the London Underground & contacts her cousin Dee (an investigative journalist) to do some digging on her behalf.
The first half of this book is a fair paced read & I thought I knew exactly where it was going, how wron
Sue Plant
Jan 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: sheila-bugler
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this book

a confusing start to a storyline that goes backwards and forwards in time and also other peoples perspectives, and it wasnt until half way through that i realised what was going on and that some of the characters i had seen before in previous books...

once i got the hang of the storyline and who what and where i could then understand it and its quite a compelling story...

a young girl is missing presumed drowned...

but yea
Jill Burgin
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
In most novels, there is very little difference between investigative journalists and private detectives except that perhaps the former writes better prose in their reports. Here Dee Doran outperforms any detective in an extremely complicated, conflated and crazy story about family and the search for truth - if you can bear the pain and destruction of the discovery. Dee is a wonderful slightly older, wiser protagonist that most and I’m really enjoying getting to know her. Here Dee unravels a dis ...more
Shalini
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was quite an interesting tale of the return of Elmer's sister who was presumed to be dead, only to be seen alive. Entered Dee who was called to investigate and get to the truth.
The author managed to create another solid mystery with her words, where family drama created enough suspense to keep me hooked. The story built up slowly until it reached an unexpected ending.
Quite an interesting read
Billie
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher. This is my own honest voluntary review.
Mary Ryan
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my 1st book by this author and I was lucky enough to receive a free copy before it's publication in January.

Wow! This is a book full of twists and turns and I was so engrossed, I read it in 1 day. I was kept guessing all the way through and even when I thought I had 1 part figured out, I didn't and there were other parts of the story where I definitely didn't think I had it sussed. I would highly recommend this book and I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Annette
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author and I found it to be be full of suspense and intrigue. The plot is complicated but it was definitely worth giving it my full attention and I did manage to keep up with the charecters. I did find it a little unbelievable in parts but that's fiction for you and it didn't spoil the enjoyment of the read. ...more
Michele Brooker
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another cracking crime novel by my favourite local author. I love the Eastbourne series with investigative journalist Dee Doran. Quite complicated plots, but fast paced with lots of local references. Brilliant!
PAT
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This story is full of unpredictable twists and turns.I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good interesting easy read.
Susan Colley
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS crime thriller series with great writing & characters, filled with lots of suspense ending in a powerful conclusion. I have purchased & read all in this series so far & awaiting #4. RECOMMEND all highly. Thanks to NetGalley & Canelo for this ARC in return for my honest review.
Robin Price
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sheila Bugler's novels get better and better. Her latest two have given me fond memories of when I first discovered the great Robert Goddard, now a CWA Diamond Dagger winner. Sheila is heading in the same direction with her structural perfection and clever mysteries that have twist after twist after twist.
Dee Doran, a lovely, endearing character seems to have the knack of finding herself in the thick of things and at great risk. The tension builds to a fabulous denouement.
I can't recommend this
Mar 13, 2021
Raimonda Jakavickiene
Jun 01, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• What They Knew (Detective Clare Mackay, #4)
  • Her Last Holiday
  • Find You First
  • Whisper Island
  • The Jigsaw Man (Inspector Anjelica Henley, #1)
  • An Eye for an Eye (Detective Kate Young, #1)
  • Chasing the Sun
  • Good Girl (DS Grace Allendale, #4)
  • The Little Grave (Detective Amanda Steele #1)
  • The Therapist
  • Be Mine Forever (Detectives Kane and Alton, #11)
  • Serpentine (Alex Delaware, #36)
  • Lost Souls (Detectives Lockhart and Green #3)
  • The Serial Killer’s Wife
  • The Rift
  • Shadow Falls (Detective Madison Harper #1)
  • The Open House
I'm the author of the Ellen Kelly and Dee Doran crime novels. My first stand alone novel, The Lucky Eight, is published in July 2021.

I grew up in a small town in the west of Ireland. After studying Psychology at University College Galway, I left Ireland and worked in Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Argentina and London before finally settling in Eastbourne, where I now live with my husband, Sean,

Eastbourne Murder Mystery (3 books)
  • I Could Be You (Eastbourne Murder Mystery, #1)
  • When the Dead Speak (Eastbourne Murder Mystery, #2)

News & Interviews