Start by marking “Perfect Little Dolls (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Little Dolls (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)

Perfect Little Dolls

(DI Eleanor Raven #2)

The little boy played with his toy trains in the bedroom, keeping quiet so as not to wake his mother. He stayed silent as he watched his window creaking open and heard the whisper from outside. A minute later, Tommy and the trains were gone.

An unrelenting heatwave sweeps the country and starts a fire which uncovers the charred remains of a young woman. But when DI Eleanor
Published January 18th 2021 by Bookouture (first published December 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Little Dolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Little Dolls

Start your review of Perfect Little Dolls (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I loved this book! I'm keen to read the first in this series. Karen Long is a crime author to watch for sure. I'd read anything she writes.

I'm a huge crime fan. Love a big bad serial killer. Love kill methods that are gruesome and unusual. I adore a Detective who is flawed but I love. I thrive in tension and suspense. I get excited at twists and reveals and love a great tension filled ending.

The Vault totally delivered!

VAULT: A large room or chamber used for storage of valuables, especially an u
Linda Strong
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.I. Eleanor Raven is back following a horrific attack by a serial killer (SAFE WORD). She is reunited with her new partner, Detective Laurence Whitefoot, as well as her old partner, Mo.

When skeletal remains are found on a land fill site, Raven and her team are called. What they find, at first, looks and almost feels like a doll, but tests prove the remains are, indeed, human ... and the victim has been embalmed.

More women are found in the same condition and not until a young child is abducted
Kat Dietrich

Perfect Little Dolls by Karen Long is the second in the Detective Eleanor Raven series.  Note that when it was originally published in 2014, it was titled "The Vault".

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background:    (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)

Detective Eleanor Raven works for the  Homicide Department of the T
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
At first I thought I had read this book as there was something eerily familiar in the plot. But I checked, and I have never read anything from this author previously. So it is just incredibly similar to a book I read last year.....

I have not read the first book in the series, The Safe Word, and probably won't.

In the unrelenting heat of the Toronto summer, a fire at a land-fill site uncovers the remains of a local prostitute. But the post-mortem reveals disturbing details – the body has been pre
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture and Karen Long for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

Ohh this was a hard one and one that I am struggling to review because I am in two minds about it.

Before I begin, I haven't read the first in this series and while it's not necessary, I think it would probably have let me know that the main character, Eleanor, isn't my type of person. I normally really like these kinds of detective stories so that's how I know it was the character
Gary
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book off Net Galley / Lawsome books in exchange for a honest review. I had never heard of this author previously but I was intrigued by the write up for this novel and decided to read it. This is the second book in the series but it did not spoil my enjoyment not having read the first one. The main character is DI Eleanor Raven who like a lot of serialised detectives is much troubled and flawed but this gives the author plenty of scope to build on as the series develops further. ...more
Brenda Feinen
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-netgalley
Creepy.
Eleanor returns to work after leave to recover from kidnapping and torture at the hands of a killer. Whitefoot, her partner, requested a transfer - he found her, unable to cope with his guilt.
A man found a well preserved corpse in the landfill and brought her to his home on the outskirts. Eleanor and Whitefoot are assigned the case.
Toby has worked for ROM, a Toronto museum, for decades. Over the past few years, he has been slipping newly acquired pieces to his home. He also preserves w
Lyndie
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Little Dolls by Karen long is the second book in the DI Eleanor Raven series. Perfect Little Dolls was previously published as The Vault. Unfortunately this was my first time reading a book by Long but it will not be the last.

The discovery of a young womens charred body nestled in a trash heap sets in motion the discovery of one of the most bizzare psychopaths you will ever meet. Shockingly her body has been preserved and dressed to appear nothing more than a discarded "love doll".

The d
Jazz Webb
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Perfect little dolls is a crime thriller, when a preserved dead body is found at a tip DI Eleanor Raven is called to the scene on her first day back to active duty. Eleanor is still recovering from her near death experience from her last case, she clearly still has issues. But Eleanor can see things others can't, when two more dead bodies and a young boy goes missing she suspects there's a link, however everyone else doubts her.

I haven't read the first book in this series and after finishing th
Erin
ARC for review.

Decided to give DI Eleanor Raven one more go.....

I suppose that Long decided to spend book one introducing us to DI Raven and her partner Laurence Whitefoot without giving us much of a mystery. The storyline is a bit better here, however Whitefoot is nearly totally absent, which is odd.

The Vault brings us an even MORE damaged DI Raven and we spend nearly as much time with her treatment as with the central crimes. To be honest (view spoiler)
Terri Wino
I feel like I got to know Eleanor a little better in this second book in the series. I hope in the next book she can grow and overcome some of her issues; I feel that if she let Laurence in they would be quite the formidable team against criminals. I would also like to delve more into Laurence's back story...why did he stop practicing medicine?
The mystery in this book wasn't quite as intense as in The Safe Word, but it still kept my interest.
I have enjoyed both books enough to keep me continui
Vanessa Menezes
Eleanor back on duty after six months’ enforced leave, Eleanor is determined to prove herself fit for service.

Her first case back involves investigating a fire which has uncovered the charred remains of a young woman. The post-mortem it reveals some disturbing details—the girl was dead long before the fire, her body had been lovingly preserved before being dressed up, her hair perfectly arranged, and a lime-green scarf knotted around her neck.

Following a tenuous link to an old missing-persons c
Jen
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable and disturbing thriller, not for the faint of heart. Note that this is the 2nd in a series but I personally couldn't find any reference to it being part of a series and had not read the first one. Though it can be read as a standalone, I spent the first part of the book confused about who was who and not really understanding the main character's background or the dynamics between the characters, so I'd recommend going in order.

The book centers on Eleanor, who is a police de
Denise
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
This second in the crime thriller series featuring DI Eleanor Raven and her colleagues at the Toronto Police Homicide Division is every bit as action-packed and suspenseful as the first. In this outing, the team is confronted by unusual burnt remains at a local landfill. When questioned, the somewhat handicapped worker and entry grade sanitation officer who lived on site claimed that he thought the body was actually a mannequin.

Eleanor is returning to active duty 6 months after being horrifical
marnie | once upon a time book blog
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
Disappearance, murder, mystery and intrigue, Detective Inspector Eleanor Raven seems to have the odds stacked against her as she returns to her job and tries to prove to everybody, maybe especially herself, that she has everything under control.

Perfect Little Dolls (previously published as The Vault), is the second instalment in the Detective Eleanor Raven series and had me immediately invested and caught up in its drama. Another book not for the faint hearted, Karen Long certainly ups the cree
peggy
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The more I read of this book the more I got the impression that I had read this book before. It turns out that I was right, I first read this book in 2015 under the title The Vault. Eleanor the main character is a flawed detective and has her own unique way of dealing with her demons but also has a stone cold killer to catch. A first rate crime thriller and the second in the series, there is enough back story so it can be read as a stand alone. Personally I preferred the first book Safe Word. Th ...more
LianaReads blog
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Just like the first book, this one goes on the darker, sinister side of thrillers. So many twists and unexpected turns, so many dark moments that kept me invested in the story from the beginning to the last page.

I remember watching a CSI episode with a psychopath killer that lived in the past and transformed his victims into dolls , from the makeup to the clothes and even the 70s outfit and air altogether. Just like in that tv play, this story keeps the fast pace throughout the book
Belinda Smith
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Little Dolls gripped me from the very beginning. A dark, compelling, fast paced thriller with so many unexpected twists that you can't turn the pages fast enough.

The story was so well written, with great characters that kept me invested in the story from beginning to the end
Sam
I love discovering new crime series especially when they feature strong female detectives so I was really pleased to be invited to take part in Karen Long's blog tour for her latest book The Vault. A big thank you to Lou at Crime Book Club for inviting me to be part of this tour.

In The Vault we join DI Eleanor Raven a few months after her very narrow escape from death in the first book in the series The Safe Word. Eleanor has spent the last 6 months recuperating after her run in with a mad man a
Dani
Read the full review and more like this at: Polkadot's Book Blog

"You were killed in that warehouse Detective Inspector Raven. Lee Hughes murdered you."

I was so excited for this book because The Safe Word, the first book in the Eleanor Raven series, was one of the first books that started my intrigue and fascination for the crime thriller genre. It had me hooked so I was really interested to see how long it would take for me to get pulled in for this one. The answer being... the very first page.
Kirsty
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review. I would actually have rated this book 4.5 stars if we could give half stars.

This book is the second book in a crime series by this author and you don't need to have read the first book in order to read this one. I found myself wishing I had though as you get references to previous events in this book and it made me really intrigued.

This is a crime thriller novel that surprised me in so many ways. I ac
Elisa
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Lawsome Books!
A great second book in this new series, The Vault fixes all the issues that I found with the first volume (The Safe Word). The plot is tighter, the red herrings more credible and the rhythm steadier. Six months after almost dying at the hands of a psycho, Eleanor Raven is back at her job chasing a new bad guy: a scary, creepy collector of dead bodies preserved as part of his "family." Eleanor is also
loopyloulaura
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
TRIGGER WARNING: this book deals with sexual topics including necrophilia
An embalmed body is found on a Canadian landfill site, sparking an intense investigation for Detective Eleanor Raven. She is recovering from the emotional and physical damage from her last case and needs to focus on the present as other potential victims go missing...
There is a lot of fallout from the previous book which I have not read. Perfect Little Dolls works well as a stand alone book but I think I would have enjoyed
Chloe
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the first book in this series and couldn't wait for the next book to see what the author gave us next. I have found a real likeness towards all the characters in this series. Raven is the kind of strong female lead you want, who has no qualms about following the gut instinct that most women would follow. Especially to the extent that the men on her team just dont understand it. But this is what makes her such a great character, also her flaws. Because we know as readers that ...more
Elizabeth
First off I want to say huge  thank you to the publisher Bookouture,   the author Karen Long , and to NetGalley for inviting me to join the blog tour for this book as well as letting me read and review it. Second thing is this is the first time I read anything by this author and it wasn't until I was already half way though it that I realized that I had the first book on my Netgalley TBR to read and review but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story as well as getting lost in it, but after r ...more
Elaine
I read the original version of this book published back in 2014 and loved it. I wondered just how much I would remember from that as I've read well over a thousand books since then, so only the best are likely to stick in my mind. I needn't have worried. It is an enthralling read which I still thoroughly enjoyed even though I remembered quite a lot from that earlier reading. Much of what I said back then still applies so, as I really don't like giving spoilers away, I'm going to update my origin ...more
Austin Svoboda
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen Long’s story The Vault begins where her previous story The Safe Word left off with detective Eleanor Raven. Eleanor has just returned from her previous case where she kidnapped and tortured by the serial killer, but still carries over many scars both mentally and physically. After six months of recuperation, her new case begins with what seems to be another murder on a local prostitute, begins to become a much larger picture on what is going on. There is a serial killer at work that is kil ...more
Wendy C
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first in this series, ‘Cry for Mercy’ so when I saw this book was available on NetGalley I had to request it.

It was just as good as the first and along the same lines, with a sadistic serial killer, it entrapped me into another complex storyline that I couldn’t stop thinking about and stayed up late to finish it last night.

The head detective Ellie Reeves is a really well formed character. She has a ‘rule unto her own’ characteristics and a sixth sense when it comes to her cases.

I’
Samantha Arias
Detective Eleanor Raven's second debut is just as great as the first. I finished this book in about a day. Couldn't put it down. You follow detective Raven on her road to recovery after barely escaping death in the first book. Everyone from book one is back again in book two. I once again loved the character development and interactions between everyone. When it comes to the crime, this book is a bit different than book one. Book one left you guessing till the end who the killer was. In book two ...more
Marcelle
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Long manages to capture the essence of the psychopath in her must-read second novel in the Eleanor Raven series. Raven's unconventional, out-of-the-box approach to solving difficult cases proves Long's ability as a writer of psychological thrillers to create a heroine like no other. She has cleverly managed to thread into this novel the tension and suspense from her first novel and has ensured that elements of both novels will find their way into novels to come. There are many comple ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Little Grave (Detective Amanda Steele #1)
  • Wildflower Graves (Detective Ellie Reeves #2)
  • Silenced Girls (Agent Tori Hunter #1)
  • The Killer's Girl (Detective Morgan Brookes, #2)
  • Their Frozen Graves (Detective Mackenzie Price, #2)
  • Silent Voices (DI Lottie Parker #9)
  • The Other Mothers (Detective Jo Fournier #4)
  • Single Mother
  • The Girls in the Snow (Nikki Hunt, #1)
  • His Hidden Wife
  • The ice daughters
  • Shadow Falls
  • The Shadow Man
  • The Girl from Silent Lake (Detective Kay Sharp #1)
  • The Missing Woman
  • Her Perfect Bones
  • Our Daughter's Bones  (Detective Mackenzie Price, #1)
  • Envy (Empty Coffin, #1)
Karen Long was born and raised in the English Midlands, read English Literature and Drama at Bangor University and later on studied Neurobiology with the Open University. She began her working life as a secondary school teacher but took up full time writing ten years ago. The Eleanor Raven trilogy is now being republished by @Bookouture. The first book is the series 'Cry For Mercy' is available as ...more

DI Eleanor Raven (3 books)
  • The Safe Word (DI Eleanor Raven, #1)
  • The Cold Room (D.I.Eleanor Raven #3)