Start by marking “Dr Death” as Want to Read:
Dr Death

Dr Death

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  11 ratings  ·  11 reviews
George Campbell is nearing the point of collapse, having stood guard throughout the night, his antique shotgun at the ready. Three escaped prisoners, who had attacked his home the day before, now lie dead in his front garden — a deterrent to other unwelcome visitors. With the power still out, and communication all but impossible, George holds out little hope of getting his ...more
Kindle Edition
Published November 11th 2020 by McMurrough

To ask other readers questions about Dr Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr Death

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Dr Death
Amanda Sheridan
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Death is an excellent short story based on three characters from Reliance and the moral of this story is trust no one. Even if they do show up in a well-dressed suit, offer to clean and bandage your wound and treat your sick wife. George was right to be suspicious.
Ermelinda Makkimane
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I wish it were longer. A short back story of two side characters from the well-received first book. A bit heart-wrenching. Reminded me of the old couple in the animation film Up.
Give us more Mr McMurrough!
Julia Cowan
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr Death by Paul McMurrough is a story based on the characters from his previous novel, Reliance. This concentrates on select characters, giving the reader more detail into their individual stories.

Paul has written this very well. The language used creates imagery which fits well within this story. As Reliance centres around a community following a power cut, the plot of Dr Death is not an uplifting one yet it does have its moments as you can sympathise with George’s nostalgia when reminiscing
Onia Fox
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr Death by Paul McMurrough is most definitely a page turner. The three main characters, Rose, but more especially, George and Brian appeared in Reliance, by the same author. Although they fully contributed to the Reliance plot, they had a back story that demanded further investigation, and that is exactly what Dr Death has done.
Set in a dystopian time when our trusted institutions are buckling under an international crisis (sound familiar?), the meeting of George and Brian was always going to
Samantha Evans
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short story took me no time at all to read. It was amazing, and another good one by the author. A big fan of Reliance! I loved how this short story was tied into it! Two characters from Reliance being in this short story. But there was one in particular that caught my eye. George is such an interesting character. Always so determined in the story all the way until the end. Wanting to do all that he can to help his wife. I will not spoil! If you have read Reliance then read this! So worth it ...more
Amy Johnson
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Heartbreaking but Stunning Read

If you’ve read Reliance, then you know just how phenomenal the world that McMurrough has created is. He leaves readers clinging to every word, cheering for every good guy, and swearing vehemently at the bad ones.

This work of art is no different. George is my absolute hero at this point, and I was in TEARS at the end of this short novelette.

You will not regret picking up this story. Unless you just hate fantastic books. Always a 10/10 for one of my new favorite
Tony Hampson
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read reliance and being interested in the solar flare angle, I found it an intriguing read throughout. I really enjoyed Dr Death as it added a little more depth to the characters from Reliance. The author does have a wonderful way of describing things, without setting spoilers, scenes with his grandmother, I also found it to have a sad ending, a short story of thirty five well written addictive pages, recommended if you read Reliance first.
Darla Hogan
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the author of Reliance, this is a short, standalone story that is well worth reading. The writing style made me feel I was there in the prison and sitting in the bedroom with George and Rose. No plot spoilers but this will keep you on the edge as it leads to its final conclusion. Short but brilliant addition to the great novel.
P.G.R. G. R.  Wright
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is about two characters from Reliance, which I found to be very good. All be it is a short story which can be hard to get into sometimes, but it wasn't the case with this book. It is thrilling from page one, George is on the edge trying to save his wife, whilst being at the centre of an attack. The author writes very well and can describe a scene brilliantly. Highly recommended. ...more
Brigitte Morse-Starkenburg
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you have read Reliance, this short story is a must read! It's a rather dark story as the title suggests, but it also has some lovely life confirming moments in it, particularly between George and Rose, the couple living in the farm who have had to deal with the onslaught of shady characters before. Really enjoyed it and definitely recommend this one. ...more
Michael Siddall
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elijah
Review submitted - Thank you!
We are processing your review. This may take several days, so we appreciate your patience. We will notify you when this is complete. Please note that if the review is about your experience with a third-party seller, we may move it to the seller’s profile page.
Sophia Thorne
Nov 15, 2020
Jan 22, 2021
OldBird
Feb 03, 2021

• The Sanctuary (The New Beginning's Book 1)
  • Almighty: Allmachtig
  • The Sensorian: Trust
  • New Haven (The New Beginning's Book 2)
  • Salep and Ginger
  • Challenge of the Gods
  • Drunkface: 5 Psychological Thriller Short Stories
  • Lucid Dreams: A psychological thriller with unpredictable twists
  • Us vs. the Rest of the World
  • Blood Brothers (The Land of the Four #2)
  • The Sick Teacher's Cook Book
  • The Old Coal Miner's Lamp
  • THE RISE OF THE PAWNS
  • The Sensorians: Awakening
  • The Dreaming
  • Dark Little Women: Girl Power!
  • Axel Lennart and the Ice World
  • Her Story: A Womanist Perspective on Mary (in her own words)
Author of the Powerless Earth Series, Paul was born and raised in Belfast, Ireland. Until the age of 15 he could barely read. Then, when introduced to Computing at school, he was finally able to make sense of the letter spaghetti on the pages of the text books.
He went on to get a degree in Computer Science followed by a career in Software and later in IT & Business Consulting.

You may know him from