Start by marking “Blue Star (Alex Desocarras Mystery Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Star (Alex Desocarras Mystery Series Book 1)

Blue Star (Alex Desocarras Mystery Series Book 1)

Blue Star, a gripping series opener, introduces Detective Sergeant Alex Desocarras, an Indigenous RCMP officer stationed in the town of 100 Mile House in British Columbia’s beautiful and rugged South Cariboo.

Alex Desocarras has been a police officer for fifteen years. Fair and just, he’s earned the trust of those around him and his solve rate is the envy of many. But his l
Kindle Edition, 2nd Editon, 316 pages
Published October 21st 2020 by Porteous Publishing (first published May 16th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Star

Start your review of Blue Star (Alex Desocarras Mystery Series Book 1)
Julie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
A powerful story about a terrible subject. Kidnapping, rape, child trafficking and abuse. There are a lot of characters to keep track of and many unusual names which had me confused at times but the plot was riveting and fast-paced so I never lost the drive to pick it up and read some more. A definite pick from me.
BooksCoffee
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In her gripping series opener, which introduces Detective Sergeant Alex Desocarras, an Indigenous RCMP officer stationed in the town of 100 Mile House in British Columbia’s beautiful and rugged South Cariboo, Van Clieaf captures the racial injustice, the pains and cruelties of rape, physical violence, and child trafficking.

A police officer for fifteen years, Alex Desocarras has earned his reputation owing to his strong work ethics, intelligence, and hard work. When he is assigned to investigate
Nicole
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Received book from Voracious Readers Only in exchange for honest review**

So when I saw the premise for this book as a child that disappeared and then some friends of her cousin try to hunt her down. What I got, was so much more. It took me a little bit to understand what was actually happening and to connect the pieces, but I actually liked that. It made feel more true to real life when you don’t have these *aha!* moments. I also ended up googling more info about indigenous Canada as well in r
Michelle

The subject matter of this story was heartbreaking and unfortunately, all too real and believable. Women and children everywhere are unfortunate victims of abuse and trafficking, and its heartbreaking how this story so accurately depicts what could be (and honestly, probably already is) happening all over the world. Yes, even and probably especially, in our "great" 1st world countries. I'm glad the author focused on the struggle indigenous people deal with, it's become too easy to say t
Debra Belmudes
Vicky Quenault
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
End of Innocence is a heartbreaking story about child trafficking and pedophilia. The author deals well with a hard subject, not detailing the atrocities the children suffer for which I for one was thankful.
There were a few instances where the writing was a little muddy but the overall story was well written.
The only thing I would change is the way the main child character seemed a bit too well adjusted during her ordeal. That didn’t ring true. Otherwise this was a well written book with a str
milinda johnson
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a goodreads giveaway. So thank you to Goodreads and the author. I found this book to be well written and sensitive about the subject matter that was presented. As most know by now, trafficking is a global concern for the families who have to suffer and endure what happens out in this world with the trafficking of people. It know's no color nor gender.
Though this was fiction it can serve as a good lead/knowledge into what does happen each and every day and bring awareness
Dee Cherry
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway_winner
I would like to thank Goodreads for selecting me as a giveaway winner for this book. This was my first read by this author. I found this 1st part of the series compelling & sad while reading of the crimes taking place. Storyline detailed while discussing less fortunate citizens & their situations. While there were several characters, I was able to became familiar & keep up with the story. Overall good read
Nicole Duelli
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Not only is this a good West Coast Canadian mystery novel that kept me on the edge of my seat, but I enjoyed the strong female characters and found the background facts on the serious topics of human trafficking and struggles First Nations Peoples face particularly interesting, if not disturbing! A very good read indeed.
Kathy
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an e-copy of this book from the author. The main story line was interesting and at times very suspenseful, which I enjoyed. There were lots of characters and I found it difficult to keep everyone straight and was a bit confusing. I look forward to another book by this author.
D.J.
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
Dense novel, but a good West Coast Canadian mystery.
A heartbreaking story with kidnapping, rape, child trafficking and pedophilia. Author dealt well with a hard subject and am thankful it is not detailing the violations of which children suffer.
A very good read indeed.
Joanne Drinnan
A very confronting book with a difficult subject, but the convoluted police setup in Canada was confusing, and the “native” Canadians was surprising for me.
Michele Bell
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads winner

It’s so hard to grasp why people do the things they do, especially to children. This book opened my eyes to human trafficking.
Liz Bacchus
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story with an important issue that is relevant to these times. I loved the strong female lead, she persevered in tough times to come out stronger.
Louise Dubord
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this gripping thriller about horrible crimes committed in British Columbia. My interest was sustained until the end. There are many characters and it can be confusing.
Kirsty McCracken
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
DNF at 16%.

Just couldn’t get into it. I really do struggle with thrillers. Shame.
Julie Herbert
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that is written well. Kept me interested to the end.
Karen
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
End of Innocence was a difficult read for me as it evoked so many emotions. But that is what a good book is supposed to do, isn't it? The topic of missing and murdered Indigenous girls and women in Canada is heartbreaking to contemplate. This book did a good job of leading us through a story that felt all too real. I am now more informed about prejudice that exists and the horrid reality of human trafficking. I particularly liked how the characters supported each other throughout the story.

This
Jan 30, 2018
Lindsay
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is a gripping thriller which I couldn’t put down. Not only did it tell me a lot about different cultures in Canada I didn’t know about it had great characters and a horrific storyline that kept me hooked till the last page.
Melissa Cheresnick

• COMPANY OF FOOLS: Selling For Love & Life, Is A Tricky Business
  • It Happened in Silence
  • Irene's Secret Diary: Love, Romance, War and an Atom Bomb
  • Finding Our Niche: Toward a Restorative Human Ecology
  • Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller (The Lamarr Series Book 1)
  • Dreams of the Dying (Enderal, #1)
  • Journey to Jumbalot
  • A Heart To Survive: First Novel in the Collingwood Series
  • Slip-Resistant Socks: My Journey with Bipolar Disorder
  • Sadie's Sin - The Zwi Migdal's Reign of Terror
  • Days of Hope, Miles of Misery: Love and Loss on the Oregon Trail
  • The Barkuu: Dawn of a species
  • Dream Phaze - Germination
  • Everything That Came Before Grace
The author lives in British Columbia. She is of mixed European, Indigenous heritage. According to her father, when she first arrived on the planet, the bagpipes caused her to weep uncontrollably. Her grandson rocks the pipes now, and thankfully, she’s gotten over that.

Her colourful work history includes being an outreach worker, a carpenter’s helper, a terrible short order cook, an okay waiter and

News & Interviews