Start by marking “Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller (The Lamarr Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller (The Lamarr Series Book 1)

Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller (The Lamarr Series Book 1)

The greatest scientific invention of modern times…
Capable of curing humanity…
But more adept at controlling it…

Sydney scientist, Marcus Hall, is developing a radical 5G Wi-Fi receiver for CSIRO. With access to secretive Lamarr computer chips - this technology promises billions to repair Australia's ravaged economy. On a caffeine boosted whim, he inadvertently discovers a
Published November 18th 2020 by Chas Murrell

To ask other readers questions about Yearn to Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yearn to Fear

Start your review of Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller (The Lamarr Series Book 1)
Book Reviewer
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Australian government is sponsoring research on the Lamarr chip, an invention that could improve data download speed beyond anything the world has ever seen. But right there at CSIRO, the agency spearheading the research, there’s a network of industrial espionage woven around the project. Project manager Sarah Pease, electronic engineer Marcus Hall, and their friends find themselves unwittingly caught in this web of conspiracy and espionage. As research into the Lamarr chip turns up startlin ...more
Kirsty Richards
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An Australian espionage thriller which 100% diverted my expectations on this specific genre, could not praise it anymore!

The novel picks up with Marcus developing the Marc1 a device which seems to send anyone to sleep within minutes of listening to it using 5G Wi-Fi receiver from CSIRO, with some unusual side effects. As the story unfolds around Marcus, not everything within the company he works for is honest as he believes!

I was pleasantly surprised in reading this story. The narrative shift f
Kalmeida
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When two self-proclaimed nerds start playing with technology they are working, they discover new ways to use it and improve on it. Marcus Hall and Henry Henderson work for CSIRO and are working on the Lamarr project, a chip that will hopefully allow fast downloads over wi-fi without using much battery/energy. While playing with the chip they discovered it can impact people on a neurological level. At first Marcus discovers it has the ability to stir erotic memories while dreaming that you rememb ...more
Sol Tyty
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yearn To Fear by Chas Murell is such a thrilling Story I anxiously turned each page wanting to know more.
The storyline revolves around scientist Marcus Hall, who is creating a radical 5G Wi-Fi receiver for CSIRO and the main objective of this new technology is that it could become the solution to repair Australia's ravaged economy and it promises billions of income in return. However, what Marcus does not know is the fact that he may be actually working for a secret project and that the guy who
Ella James
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chas Murrell’s techno-thriller, Yearn to Fear, is undeniably compelling as it is centered on industrial espionage, a likely theme in a world where governments and companies continue the race of unraveling more lucrative technological advancements. 5 Big Stars form this reader!!

To lower budget deficits following the COVID-19 outbreak, the Australian government hopes to develop extremely efficient computer chips. Marcus Hall is the prime Sydney-based CSIRO electronics engineer tasked with developi
Jane Verco
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. While unsure what to expect from an "Australian Spy Thriller", I was quickly hooked. The book quickly built into a rapid page turner, with much to keep you wanting to know more. Even with a bit of romance thrown in, the techno thriller plot evolved quickly and was very hard to put down. I was delighted, as an Australian, that everything about this book was distinctly Aussie and very relatable. While sometimes the tech-speak was beyond my understanding, it fitted in perfectl ...more
Architha | thebookishdweeb
An invention that can change the world; for better or for worse?

'Yearn to Fear' is the story of a healing device made with the intention to provide for the world, but gets misused for selfish interests by a man who comes across as a tyrant.

Written in a style that leaves us in a cliff-hanger even in the middle of a chapter, the book was adept but wavering. One can only know the essence of the story halfway into the book, but is kept entertained by the severity and charming personalities of the ch
BooksCoffee
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The discovery of a game-changing scientific finding drives Murrell’s fast-paced, thrilling debut installment in The Lamarr Series, which introduces the Sydney-based scientist Marcus Hall.

While working on a project to develop a radical 5G Wi-Fi receiver for CSIRO, Sydney-based scientist Markus Hall makes another scientific discovery, a sleep-inducing technology that can change the future of the therapeutic technology in humans. Blissfully unaware of the secret identities of the people around him
litandcoffee
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pitting a ruthless psychopath and an unlikely spy against a brilliant scientist, Murrell’s swiftly paced first installment in The Lamaar series is crammed with action, political intrigue, and high-tech drama.

Marcus Hall, a Sydney scientist, accidently makes a therapeutic breakthrough in neuroscience while developing a radical 5G Wi-Fi receiver for CSIRO. With foreign intelligence agencies in a race to acquire the priceless invention, Marcus finds himself embroiled in a dangerous conspiracy.

Mur
Aaron
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The development of ‘Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller’ gives you an adrenaline rush every time you turn on a new page. The main story involves a Sydney scientist who is creating a radical 5G Wi-Fi receiver for CSIRO. The thing with this technology is that its impact can cause havoc in the economy. The technology can be a blessing or a curse depending on how it is handled. The scientist doing his work is helped by many parties, one guy being Henry. This man Henry is good in the lab but there ...more
Terry
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this copy via Voracious readers.
The opening chapter dove right into action, leaving me to wonder how
all this was going to go. The language took me awhile to understand. Australian colloquialisms threw me. Overall the premise of this story was really interesting!
Some of the main characters are really enjoyable.
I enjoyed it immensely. I recommend this startup series. It promises to deliver interesting characters and equally interesting plot lines.
Thank you Chas!
Mary Eldridge
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Chris Murrell and I intend to read more of his books. I have really enjoyed Yearn to Fear. The characters in the book came to life and there was lot of twists in this book that kept me on edge. I highly recommend this book. I received a copy of this book by the Voracious Readers Only.
Ellery Alouette
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An exciting introduction to The Lamarr Series, Yearn to Fear is a rewarding thriller that incorporates possible technological trends in its fascinating storyline. A perfect interesting and exciting novel for this day and age. Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller (The Lamarr – Book 1) by Chas Murrell comes highly recommended by me!! Techno and espionage thriller fans must read this fascinating novel!!
Jewel Hart
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read all year. Chas Murrell is such a good storyteller and very clever. I was blown away!! He writes with such skill and imagination. Fans of this genre won't want to miss Yearn to Fear!! ...more
Jess
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I particularly liked the way it approached the typical spy novel from a completely different perspective. It was cleverly written, had some very unexpected twists and moved at a great pace. I would recommend it to all my friends with zero hesitation. I gave the book four stars instead of five simply because the prologue left me a bit confused as it didn't really fit in with the rest of the book.

I received a free copy of this book as part of an Advanced Reader Pool but
K Huskić
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Marcus and Henry are scientists tasked to create a 5G WiFi receiver, but instead accidentally create a device that could potentially help so many, and would be worth a very large sum of money. Hesitant to reveal too much too soon, Marcus and Henry work on developing the device further, and testing it's limitations, all while keeping it under wraps. Unfortunately, other people get wind of the device, causing things to escalate rapidly.

This story has chapters told by many different viewpoints, giv
Pegboard
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yearn to Fear: Australian Spy Thriller by Joe Chas Murrell is the first novel in his Lamarr Series. Lamarr is a computer chip that holds prospective greatness. Realizing its potential, the Australian government involves one of their own, Henry, to keep tabs on its uses and to report back. Meanwhile, Peter Esser plants his own spy over the development team, with the stipulation Sarah is to report back to him of any progress that is made. What Peter cannot see in his irrational mind, that by black ...more
Brian Wilson
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great!! Well written technical detail in an understandable and interesting manner, likeable characters all drawn together by sidetrack from main experimentation which leads to industrial espionage, danger and intrigue and a fair number of twists along the way, even in the epilogue. Will make a great film.
Trinity Waddell
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Review through Voracious Readers Only

What a ride! This techno thriller was fast paced and full of action. Being a kiwi - I loved all the 'Aussie-ness' about this book. Having Australian on the world stage at the centre of a major spy ring was exciting. The characters are fabulous. As the characters developed, I was thrown a lot. Completely unexpected and that is what is really cool about this book. Expect the Unexpected in this read! 5 stars 🌟 This is a great read!
Graham
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A gripping tale of intrigue. Murrell takes the reader on a journey of believable characters, technical knowledge and twists and turns of intrigue that combine to make this a book difficult to put down. A truly commendable work for a first time author. I look forward to seeing the movie!!
Sue Bavey
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
The first half of Yearn to Fear is very much concerned with introducing the characters, explaining the technology and setting the scene for the main action of the story.

A microchip known as the Lamarr chip was invented several years ago by DST (Defence Science and Technology), ostensibly invented with a view to improving 5G communication. The chip is found to also emit a transmission which causes the recipient to fall asleep quickly and experience vivid dreams of yearning.

Marcus Hall, one of
Ryan
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Yearn to Fear is the debut novel from Chas Murrell and what is very impressive about this book is that Chas has his own distinct style already. Yearn to Fear is not a formulaic spy thriller, nor is it a dry police procedural. Rather it is a character driven espionage, spy thriller with weapons! It’s intriguing, it’s different and it’s well worth a read!

Yearn to Fear follows Marcus and Henry as they work at CSIRO on a new telecommunication chip. The work isn’t showing promising results but after
Bernadette Robinson
My thanks to the Author and Publisher for the opportunity to read this story in order to take part in the Blog tour of it organised by Emma Welton of Damppebbles Blog tours.

I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10.

This is the first story in the Lamarr series. This is a very current story with it's links to 5G technology and the mentioning of the current COVID situation, it is clearly set in the present and not the past. We as a human race can at times be suspicious of lots of things and many are dubious ab
David Baird
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
While working on a 5G Wifi receiver Marcus stumbles upon another use for the technology, the frequency produced by the chips allows the listener to fall asleep peacefully, and to have the most amazing dreams.

What he and those closest to him soon discover the possibility the chips could produce other emotions within the listener, which is where the title of the book comes in. The invention at first is all about love, and explores the physical act but also the raw emotional connection you can have
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Yearn to Fear by Chaz Murrell is a sci-fi story blended with a spy thriller that also has romance within the story too. The beauty of taking part in book blog tours is that I am introduced to authors I would never usually pick up. I am really happy that I chose to take part in this tour, yet another author I have discovered.
A story that is set after our global pandemic of COVID-19 and in Australia. Marcus has developed the Marc1, a device that sends people to sleep after a few minutes of listeni
Prachi
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks a lot to the author Chas Murrell for providing me with a beautiful copy of this book.

If I could define this book in one word that would be - Perfect. Because, according to me, it has everything required to be a good book of its kind.

Let's say, an intriguing plot? Done.✅

This is an Australian Spy Thriller with sci-fi to be the second genre. (I won't go into the details of the plot.)

Strong characters? Done.✅

The characters are Amazing and highly knowledgeable bunch of people. And most import
Emily Quinn
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Things quickly change for scientist, Marcus Hall, as the initial 5G Wi-Fi receiver he’s creating just isn’t enough for that knowledge-filled brain of his! The idea of inventing a whole new piece of technology and learning what the characters in this book discover as a result just blew my mind. A brilliant book, perfect for those who love action-packed thrillers.

I think this is the only Australian spy thriller I’ve ever read (maybe even in existence?) but it succeeded in setting the bar exception
Jessica Belmont
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Yearn to Fear by Chas Murrell is a fast-paces spy thriller that I couldn’t put down. This plot is unique, and I’m really excited to see where this series goes.

There is quite the mystery in this story, and I really enjoyed the characters. There is such growth in Marcus. He feels so real, you’d almost think this was a true story. In fact, I felt that way with all the characters. I love when a story is driven by its characters. It enhances the excitement.

Chas Murrell writes in a fast-paced, detaile
Maria Bennett
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved every minute or Yearn to Fear. Gets you hooked from the start. It has a great mix of interesting characters, plot, charm, intrigue, romance and humour. The humour is especially good, it captures the essence of true Australian vernacular, a blend of wit and situational humour, like the ‘Jesus handle’. And for the characters… the goodies are vulnerable and the badies, well they are badies, with some more likable than others. Overall a fabulous read.
Dawn
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It takes a special kind of blurb to get me to read a spy thriller - and an extremely special spy thriller to make me to give it 5 stars! "Yearn to Fear" offers everything I want from a book, regardless of genre. The plot is exciting and interesting, the characters are solidly built, and the smooth writing is an added bonus. When is book 2 coming out?!

This review was written voluntarily and is entirely my own, unbiased, opinion. My thanks to damppebblesblogtours

• Double Identity
  • Manipulated Lives
  • Comeback
  • The Good Witch of the South
  • Blood Line (A Tom Rollins Thriller Book 1)
  • Murder at the Mela
  • The Two Fathers  (Sam Dyke Investigations Book 11)
  • Surrender: A Memoir of Nature, Nurture, and Love
  • The Elixirist: A Novel
  • K3+
  • In a Deep Dark Wood
  • Seven Days (DI Jack MacIntosh, #2)
  • Sandman
  • The Big Ol' Bike
  • Finding Our Niche: Toward a Restorative Human Ecology
  • Irene's Secret Diary: Love, Romance, War and an Atom Bomb
  • It Happened in Silence
  • Dreams of the Dying (Enderal, #1)
Australian author Chas Murrell has been a Police Officer, Senior Fire Commander, Customs Coastwatch surveillance mission co-ordinator, heavy machinery mechanic, emergency medical technician/ instructor, film extra, and General Manager of an event company.

He has published academic papers on liquid hydrogen and held a worldwide provisional patent for a nonlinear mathematical calculation. He survive

News & Interviews