Start by marking “Calculated” as Want to Read:
Calculated

Calculated

Set in Shanghai and Seattle, Calculated is a gritty, modern day blend of The Count of Monte Cristo and Mission Impossible.

She has many names – Octavia, Double 8, Phoenix, Josephine. She’s a math prodigy, a calculating genius and everyone wants her.

In seventeen-year-old Jo River’s complicated world of numbers, there’s no such thing as coincidence. When she is betrayed by s
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: February 11th 2021 by Wise Wolf Books

To ask other readers questions about Calculated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calculated

Start your review of Calculated
Candace
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Calculated is one of the most original stories I've read in a long time. Not only is the setting unique (Seattle meets Shanghai), but the plot intriguing, and the characters relatable and lovable.

Nova's writing portrays a very accurate picture of modern day China and America but through a fresh new lens. I definitely recommend this incredible read!

One warning: make sure you have time before buying this book because you won't be able to put it down...
Hilary Bowen
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Calculated is a gripping, fast paced story that had me on the edge of my seat. I found myself rooting for Jo as she journeyed through the lows and highs of vengeance and redemption. Author Nova McBee does an excellent job of putting the reader right in the thick of things! I’m looking forward to book 2. -Hilary Magnuson
Rachel Del Grosso
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I made it the debut book for Wise Wolf Books!
Tara
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh gosh! Some books you wish you wrote and this is no exception. But there’s no way anyone but Nova could write this. Her depiction of Seattle and Shanghai are so realistic. And Jo is such a believably smart character who you want to root for, whether she’s seeking understanding, revenge, love, or freedom. I didn’t want to story to end and I’m so glad there’s going to be a sequel!
Ernie
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read an early version of this book, and I can’t recommend it enough. The pacing is excellent, the characters jump off the page, and the story grabs hold of you and doesn’t let go until the very end. Add this one to your must-read list. You won’t be disappointed.
Lauren Bridges
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so surprised by how much I loved this book! I've always loved The Count of Monte Cristo, and Calculated definitely gave me those vibes, YA style.
Maellis
Nov 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I was expecting something really original but I’m really picky when it comes to books with a main character being used for her/his/their special ability (I love this trope) and this one didn’t deliver as much as I wanted.
The way it was told bothered me as well: the pace wasn’t as exciting and thrilling as I thought it would be (too descriptive or a lot of talking instead of action scenes) and tension was lacking.
I found it too political for my taste but it is for sure a well-detailed story.
On t
Katylin
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adventure. Intrigue. Brokenness. Hope. Redemption. People facing their demons and choosing the good. I've read this book twice now and enjoyed it just as much the second time. Jo's courage and determination will have you rooting for her at every turn. The details of culture, language, and place lend texture and interest. When I give a five-star rating I don't mean a book is perfect, but that I would re-read it (I already have), recommend it (I'm doing that now) and read the sequel if there is on ...more
Ellen McGinty
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read this book before the release and it's worth all the HYPE! Calculated is a riveting, thought-provoking read that will keep you up until the early morning hours. I couldn't put this book down!

The book description is spot on. It gave me all the Count of Monte Cristo/Mission Impossible vibes but with a unique YA voice. Please do yourself a favor and read this book. Highly recommended!
Olivia Ramos
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have only read the first chapter but I am hooked!!!
Lorie Langdon
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read an early copy of this amazing book! Calculated is a thought-provoking tale with the perfect blend of action, suspense, and romance. It takes a singular book to make me wish for a gift for numbers, this heroine's exceptional math prowess is the superpower I never realized I needed until now!
Filled with unique settings and genuine, multifaceted characters, this marvelous story will keep readers absorbed to the heart-pounding end!
Highly recommend for readers of YA through
Tom Chapman
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes!!! This is what I'm talking about! As a fan of complex mystery novels, you start to see a lot of similarities between books rarely seeing anything treading new ground. This is an exception to that. A wonderfully told tale of mystery with all the elements added in that will satisfy any cravings; aspects of a thriller, action packed sequences and even a touch of romance. These all combine to form intriguing characters and carefully woven plot points.

I was sad when I realised I was near the end
Jennifer Camiccia
Dana Black
Audran
Lauren Heartsill Dowdle
Nov 11, 2020

• Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Things You Can't Say
  • Spy School Revolution
  • Dragon Hoops
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • The Midnight Library
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • The Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez
  • The Last Tree Town
  • The Stitchers (Fright Watch #1)
  • The Things She's Seen