Start by marking “Erin's Children” as Want to Read:
Erin's Children

Erin's Children

In 1851 Irish Famine survivor, Meg O'Connor, buys passage to America for her younger sister, Kathleen, and arranges employment for her as a maid. Kathleen's feisty spirit soon puts her at odds with her employers, the bigoted and predatory Pratts. Driven from their home, Kathleen ends up on a wild adventure taking her to places she could never have imagined.

As a domestic se
Published December 1st 2020 by BWL Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Erin's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Erin's Children

Start your review of Erin's Children
Brenda
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I enjoyed this book! The 1850s era is a remarkable one to read and learn about and The Great Famine (or The Hunger as in this book) is central here. Before reading the author's notes it was clear that her heart, soul and a lot of research and knowledge went into this. Some historical fiction books make scant historical references but this...this is full of them at every turn, yet not in a patronizing way, which captured my heart! I allowed myself to melt into the book today, utterly.

Two
Jane Willan
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then, as a reader, I find myself lucky enough to begin a book so rich in characters, setting, and plot that within a few pages, the world around me disappears. Erin’s Children by Eileen O’Finlan, is just that book. The only disappointing part of the book is that it eventually ended, and I am now anxiously awaiting the next book by O’Finlan!
While romantic, funny, and plot-driven, the book is also a timely exploration of the history of immigration. The story follows the lives of Meg
Eileen Charbonneau
Wonderful continuation of Meg and her family from Kelegeen. Now in America in a Massachusetts mill town of the 1850s, Meg is working as a live in servant and pays for her sister Kathleen to book passage. Together the sisters spend long working hours in two very different households. Meg patiently waits for the right time to bring over the love of her life. Kathleen faces racism and sexual harassment. Wonderful series, I recommend it highly.
Bill
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
In 1855, Melville published "The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids," a story contrasting the care-free lives of single young men and the difficult lives of single young women at the time. In Ms. O'Finlan's novel set at the same time as Melville's story, things are rather the opposite for Irish immigrants in Massachusetts. The two young women at the center of the novel, Meg and Kathleen, are able to find employment as maids in upper middle class families. Coming from literal starvat ...more
Betty Oday
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memories of home

I lived in Worcester for 64 years. I moved to Florida three years ago. Reading this book, brought back many happy memories of my city. I easily recognised the streets mentioned. I have read many books on the history of Worcester. This one was one of the best.
Sarah Carter
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
“I still love Rory. I know I do,” she whispered to the darkness of her attic room. But do I love the life I’m living now even more?

It has been several years since Meg has left Kelegeen, Ireland, for America to find a better life for her family after the famine. Right before she stepped on the boat, she married Rory, but the marriage was not consummated in case they never saw each other again. Meg finds work as a live-in maid and sends money home, but also saves some and buys herself some new thi
MARY E.
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I read this book I found I really cared what happened to so many of the characters. As a lifelong resident of Worcester, Massachusetts it was especially enjoyable to me. I would have appreciated an 1850's street map of locations in the story since the streets are referenced quite often. Pictures of 1850's houses in the Crown Hill neighborhood would have been another nice addition. ...more
FRANCES L RABIDOU
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

These characters were so good. I felt they were so real that I was cheering for them. A fun read.😁
Paula
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin's Children is a good story, if you can get past the beginning. It took me a while to read this book, but I did read through it and it was a good story, just slow in the beginning. The story surrounds Meg and her sister Kathleen. Both are from Ireland, and have obtained work as housekeepers in fine houses in the town they live in. Meg, who married before boarding the ship, hasn't seen her husband in years. Eventually, he travels to America and they do get together. It Just takes a long time. ...more
Tony Parsons
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1848, Father O’Malley had put Margaret “Meg” Quinn (Irish Catholic, Megeen, nee O'Connor) & Mrs. O’Sullivan (mother) & Aoife O’Sullivan (daughter) on a ship so they could immigrate to America from Ireland which was experiencing a Potato Famine.
They would stay with Maureen Linton (laundry cleaning) & Darien Linton (wire works).
Worcester, MA. Employment service waiting room. Nuala (BFF, maid) was giving Meg some strong advice.
Mrs. Harriet Cane hired Meg for a job as a domestic servant for Emily C
Eileen O'Finlan
Dec 01, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Today's the Day! Erin's Children is now available in print and digital formats!Click here for more information. ...more
Anne
Jan 23, 2021
Keating
Dec 19, 2020
Eileen O'Finlan
Nov 06, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jt Furbay
Cindy Legg
Rina
Jana Leah
Dec 10, 2020
Making Connections: 5969. - Erin's Children by Eileen O'Finlan 5 22 Nov 28, 2020 06:22AM

• Rethinking Islam: Common Questions, Uncommon Answers
  • The Thief of Blackfriars Lane
  • The Fatal Flying Affair (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery #7)
  • Burying the Dead: An Archaeological History of Burial Grounds, Graveyards and Cemeteries
  • Undeveloped: A Pine County Mystery
  • A Castaway in Cornwall
  • The Stubborn Light of Things: A Nature Diary
  • Earth's Wild Music: Celebrating and Defending the Songs of the Natural World
  • The Forgotten Orphan
  • A Lady Compromised (Rosalind Thorne, #4)
  • Courting Misfortune (The Joplin Chronicles, #1)
  • Murder at the Gorge
  • Dance of Death (Dr. Basil Willing #1)
  • When Twilight Breaks
  • From Devon with Death
  • The Push
  • The Puzzle Women
  • Blueberry Love: 46 Sweet and Savory Recipes for Pies, Jams, Smoothies, Sauces, and More
Eileen O’Finlan lives in central Massachusetts with a calico Maine Coon cat named Autumn Amelia who likes to "help" her with her historical research and writing mostly by shoving her research books onto the floor, sleeping on her keyboard, and demanding treats at inopportune moments. Eileen loves Autumn Amelia.

Eileen also loves history which is why she went back to college in her late twenties to