Start by marking “Der Trudeau Vektor” as Want to Read:
Der Trudeau Vektor

Der Trudeau Vektor

In der Eiswüste der Arktis kommen in der Nähe ihrer Forschungsstation vier Wissenschaftler unter mysteriösen Umständen ums Leben. Völlig unklar ist die Todesursache - es scheint, als habe ein starkes chemisches Reagenz die Lungen und Augen und alles weiche Gewebe der Körper in kürzester Zeit zerstört. Doch woher kam inmitten der Eiswüste dieser todbringende Stoff? Jessie H ...more
Hardcover, 1st, 458 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Ullstein (first published 2005)

Start your review of Der Trudeau Vektor
Sue
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a highly enjoyably thriller set in the artic involving an American epidemiologist searching for the cause of 4 unexplained deaths during the 6 month winter. The setting is exotic in a very different way from most. Instead of sea and sand with sun and fun there is constant dark, broken only by the constant bright light of stars and the moon, and ice and snow, broken only by very occasional inland polynya, areas of open water.

Set in this extreme cold is the Trudeau Research Sta
Renee
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-mystery
My how casually we talk about mass destruction. But really, if science had been presented like this to me in high school, I might have passed sophomore biology the first time.

Jeannie Mancini
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Jessie Hanley, an eccentric hippie-style, world renowned epidemiologist is once again pressed into a dangerous medical crisis by the Center of Disease Control in Los Angeles. Famous for her around the world missions to uncover mysterious deaths that cause epidemics, Jessie is the top scientist on the list to assist in the investigation of four sudden deaths at a Canadian research facility in the Arctic circle. The bodies were found on the ice grossly and unnaturally contorted, horrible froze ...more
Kathy Dobronyi
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read science adventure novels, but could not put this one down until I finished it. Juris Jurjevics introduced me to the alien world of the Arctic, complete with scientific exploration and specialized needs developed by man and nature for survival in this harsh demanding climate. He simplified the complex while presenting an intriguing mystery. How did 3 scientists suddenly die, their bodies contorted in pain and their eyes gone? Why did another strip himself of all protections against ...more
Kyra
Aug 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery was reasonably interesting, and some of the writing was promising - especially the Russian bits - but basically this was a piece of crap book with cardboard characters, some totally ludicrous and implausible plot twists and a lot of data skimmed from Wikipedia stuffed into the cracks. BIG cracks.
Jessica
Bioterror and political intrigue isn't normally my thing, but this one is well-researched and the book moves along at a swift pace. Science Guy was much amused by the shout-out to Zeiss microscopes.
Paul Weiss
A thrilling piece of epidemiological detective work in the high Arctic!

The submarine warfare technology of Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October; the thrilling epidemiological detective work of Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain; the stunning descriptions of breathtakingly beautiful landscape from Barry Lopez's Arctic Dreams; the intimate understanding of the Inuit culture and the Inuktitut language from Canada's Farley Mowat; the deep and abiding concern for the environment in general and global warming in partic
Lori
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect example of why good editors are essential to good and great books. This a bad book. It had a great story that didn't have the proper plot or characters to sustain it. As a woman, I was completely embarrassed by Jessie Hanley. Hands down one of the absolute worst female characters I've ever had the displeasure of encountering in a book. I hope no one who read this thinks professionals behave that unprofessionally, erratically, and immaturely and can still retain credibility and their job. ...more
B.
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea of this book, and I liked the concept of the book, but I'm not a fan of the main investigator, Hanley, or of the fact that the author doesn't take procedure into account, making everything less believable. This book also seemed particularly dry, which suggests to me that something either may have been lost in translation or that you had to read the other Hanley books in order to be able to appreciate this one. All in all it was rather a let down for me. I was expecting more from ...more
Susan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arctic
An amazingly intriguing thriller, taking place at a international scientific laboratory in the Canadian Arctic. 3 scientists have been killed, a fourth seems to have killed himself, and the cause is (of course) quite mysterious. There's international intrigue, love and loss, a lot of scientific detail that is quite interesting - a really fascinating, well written thriller. With an ending that of course is surprising, as it is meant to be.
Sandy Carmichael
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting story---lots of cultural input, medical info and suspense.
Sheryl
The book is very slow but the story is still good.
rabbitprincess
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: my impulse-buying tendencies
Shelves: 2008, from-me-to-me
Initial impressions: Really nifty-sounding storyline. I am a sucker for thrillers, especially when they happen in Canada (or at least the Arctic). And man, I don't remember noticing this when I bought the book, but there are dead people with their PUPILS removed! Ew! I hope there aren't any eyeball-extraction scenes, because that stuff makes me ill.

Overall, the back cover makes it sound really good. Here's hoping the writing lives up to the hype.

There's good news an
LJ
THE TRUDEAU VECTOR (Suspense-Canada-Cont) – G
Jurjevics, Juris – 1st book
Viking, 2006 – Hardcover
Dr. Jessica Hanley, an American epidemiologist, has been asked to Trudeau Research Center at the Arctic Circle. Four of the scientists have been found on the ice—dead in a way no one can identify what may have killed them. The fear is of a fast-moving epidemic that must be identified and stopped. But what is a Russian Submarine looking for?
*** I had some problems with this book
Andrew
I stumbled across this book by accident – Chapters (big-box book superstore in Canada) had a Buy-3-Get-1-Free sale, so I took a chance on something new for my freebie. Then, I waited a few years before I read it.

Big mistake – this turned out to be one of, if not my favorite reads of the year.

An epidemiologist is sent to a scientific stronghold in the Canadian Arctic to investigate some mysterious deaths. Since she will be confined there through the Arctic winter, there is
Sam
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Jurjevics had a intriguing scientific thriller. Set in the Arctic tundra at the Trudeau Research center. This book has poisonous pathogens, lost submarines, international intrigue and bitter, bitter cold all set in the isolation of a giant slab of ice.

When 3 research scientist are found dead out on the ice it becomes a race against time to figure out the cause before more turn up dead. In the remote ice pack resources are limited and so is daylight. Dr. Jessica Hanley is flown into t
Scott
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Research: A
Cultural Context: B
Plotting: A-B
Characterization: B-C
Novelist Craft: A-B

Piano-wire-tight, fast-paced thriller, reminiscent of Crichton's Andromeda Strain. Jurjevics shows great expertise in artic know-how, military gear and procedures, and epidemiology, enough to show he does his research right.

Where he shines, though, is in the novelist craft. While I could fault him for the occasional extended exposition, he writes rather well, and bui
Robert
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Since this was set in the Arctic wouldn't this be a chiller instead of a thriller? So you have four mysterious deaths at an Arctic research station and a missing Russian sub to start the story off. And eventually the author will tie this all together, but not quite in the way you would think. I like the way this was written in that the author actually works some of the frustration of finding the hidden killer into the story. And as I understand it this is the authors first novel. So I am impress ...more
Marty Greenwell
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the best books are ones that you are skeptical about how good they will be and surprise you. Trudeau Vector was one of those. About an Arctic research station and an outside epidemiologist, Jessie Hanley of Los Angeles, who attempts to locate the cause of several scientist's deaths. I liked to way it wove in the apparently separate link to a Russian submarine. Adniral Rudenko was old, but humble and not willing to do things for the current satisfaction of the new Russia. They link in a ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is a good thriller without being a great novel. I enjoyed the descriptions of the physical environment, the challenges and the ever present dangers. I found some of the possibilities intriguing, saw some of the politics as irritating, and didn't care for many of the characters. Still, I was engrossed in the journey and kept turning the pages.

I was dissatisfied with the ending and that has brought my overall rating down. Still, if you enjoy thrillers backed with some good science
Debra
Dr. Jessie Handley arrives at Trudeau Station with a mandate--find out what killed three of the scientists there. Haldway around the world, a Russian sub is found floundering, its entire crew also dead. All the dead exhibit the same telltale signs, their bodies contorted with horror, and completely white eyes. How the deaths are related comes to a climax in the clack Arctic night, at Trudeau Station.
Richard
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/science/political fans.
Recommended to Richard by: I picked up an ARC at work.
I thought this should have been made into a movie by now. It seems so straightforward, until the last few pages.

Yes, the science gets in the way, but since we are so ignorant, we need primary information to move the story along.

Yes, the Russian stuff seems to complicate the story unnecessarily, but just hang on, it will all come out in the end.

I am eager to read other stuff by Mr. Jurjevics.
Emma
It is a reasonably good plot, killed by too much often unnecessary
detail. It feels like a lecture at times. Its main weaknees is the totally unconvincing (and predictable) main character and the everybody sounding the same dialogue...tarted up with a few foreign words. And it weirdly lacks suspense. But the topic is interesting.
Harvee
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biochemists and epidemiologists, those who study communicable diseases, would love this thriller. I liked it too though I have just a general knowledge of biology. It was a happy find during my stroll through a recent bookstore sale. More here...
Cfgk
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elliott gave this to me in San Francisco and it's fitting the bill as a "can't put it down" book. FINALLY!

Took an entire afternoon/evening to finish this last week, which was fun. OK, but probably not one I'd recommend necessarily. I SURE did want to know what was coming next, but figured out the punchline well before the end...
kristin
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok this book was awesome. i'm a grad student in infectious disease microbiology and have to say that it was incredibly well written, fast paced, believable and good for the scientist and spy thriller reader in me :) since this was a first book by the author, i can't wait for the next. damn, the arctic circle never seemed so interesting to me before the the trudeau vector.
Bill
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable thriller. A forensic pathologist leaves her fractured family in southern California to save the world from a deadly something, voluntarily committing herself to months of arctic night at an international research station on an island in the polar sea, becoming involved in the politics of grief and the remnants of cold war antagonisms.
Catherine  Mustread
May 04, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: SA 090905
"The Trudeau Vector is a great read for medical thriller fans, but it's more than that. Jurjevics describes the beauty and vulnerability of the Canadian Arctic, as well as the heroism of scientists who work there. A solid, well-written debut novel."--Rita Moran, Apple Valley Books, Winthrop, Me.
Jp
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The book keeps you guessing until near the very end. Believable plot and interesting characters play out a suspenseful search for what is killing them with timely but environmental and political soapbox discussions thrown in for good measure.
Denese Bass
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really kept my interest. It was mainly set in a compound built above the Arctic Circle but also included scenes involving Russia and the seas between. It kept you guessing til and had a twist at the end.

• A Lesson Before Dying
  • The Adderall Diaries
  • All She Was Worth
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • My Last Continent
  • Melmoth
  • The Return of the Dancing Master
  • Pigen uden hud
  • Out of the Ice
  • Before the Frost (Linda Wallander #1)
  • One Step Behind  (Kurt Wallander, #7)
  • Triskellion (Triskellion, #1)
  • Uccidi il padre