Start by marking “Mother West Wind's Children” as Want to Read:
Mother West Wind's Children

Mother West Wind's Children

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Thornton Burgess was born in 1874 in Sandwich, Massachusetts. While growing up he explored the fields, woods, and salt marshes of Cape Cod, where he came to know the birds, animals, and plant life well. Later, as a grown man, he told stories to his young son about the animals and wildlife he knew and loved. These stories were collected in Old Mother West Wind, the first of ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Mother West Wind's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother West Wind's Children

Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned
Boyschool
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these books!

All of them are very sweet and innocent and include lovely moral lessons and character lessons. It's so hard to find beautiful reading for children these days, and these books are beautiful indeed!
Omdog
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Omdog by: my grandfather McG
I had to justify that it was really my 3 year-old self that wanted to put the 5 star rating on this book. Also, took forever looking through the 8 pages my search returned of Thornton Burgess related material, to find even one copy of the editions I have.

I need to read these stories again- actually for the first time really, since they were read to me when I was between the ages of 2 and 5.

I will say this, picking them up and reading through the chapter titles, I found myself squealing over fam
Ruth
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
My primary reason for reading this book was nostalgia. Books by this author in this series were read to us in elementary school. They are children's books, but I read what I enjoy. Mr. Burgess wrote over 70 books, I haven't researched them all. The stories grew out of his love for nature and began as stories to his son. Animals and even nature itself become characters. This volume is a collection of "why" stories. For an adult, I would consider them a sweet escape, and as I remembered, this woul ...more
Terri Lynn
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
I don't know how I missed these books as a child but as a homeschool mom, they were recommended to me and we just thoroughly loved them. Thornton Burgess was a naturalist and it shows in these fun tales about a variety of animals who live in the most enchanting places- forests, meadows, and ponds! The stories are so charming! I love the trouble the animals get into and their adventures.
Ursula
Apr 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Pagoo
  • Survival at Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #16)
  • McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader
  • Karen's Good-bye (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #19)
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • Peanut Butter Friends In A Chop Suey World (Light Line)
  • A Dog on Barkham Street
  • Hot-Air Henry
  • Duck & Goose 1, 2, 3
  • Save Queen of Sheba
  • Arabel and Mortimer (Arabel and Mortimer, #4-6)
  • Snowbound With Betsy
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...