Start by marking “Things That Are Most in the World” as Want to Read:
Things That Are Most in the World

Things That Are Most in the World

Want to know what are the quietest, silliest, smelliest, wiggliest things in the world? Look no further for imaginative answers to these and other questions about superlatives. An ice-skating snake and a dragon eating pepperoni pizza are just two of the amazing “mosts” to ponder in this book that will stretch the imagination and send readers young and old into fits of laug ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Things That Are Most in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things That Are Most in the World

Kathryn
Apr 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I thought this was very amusing! Lots of creativity and silliness here. I think kids would love it.
Kevin Findley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime-stories
Probably one the silliest and laugh-out loud books to read to a child. Highly recommended, but be prepared to answer how a T-Rex can brush his own teeth.

Find it! Read It!
Rick
Not really my type of thing, but I'm sure little kids interested in the tallest, biggest, smallest, etc. may get a lot out of this.
Ashley B.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a goofy book where the author thinks of what would the smelliest, jumpiest, silliest, things in the world. The pictures are just as goofy as the words. The book is silly and is sure to bring a smile to anyone's face who reads it. The creativity is contagious and encourages the reader to think of something that is the most in the world. I like how there was a fill-in-the-blank page at the end of the book, so it gave the reader a chance to think of their own "most thing in the world".
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. Cute idea, and funny examples. Some of the pictures are a bit gross (a baby flea being pushed in a carriage on a zoomed-in skin surface with big giant hairs all around), but I could imagine kids being into it. The last page invites kids to make up their own stories and illustrations which I like.
Miss Erica
This book has some silly and some realistic comparisons. Hottest thing is a Dragon eating Pepperoni Pizza. . .and the tallest thing is the top of the sky.. . not a real story behind it
Luella Lee
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute. Loved the T-Rex weighing himself.
Lacey
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book, not good for beginning readers, but maybe for a reluctant reader. I did love the illustrations though.
Erica
Charlon
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I. The words of my 8 yr old...I love this book! How are these things even possible!?

My son has a hearing and so each issue. He loved this book. It was very cute and we enjoyed it very much.
Sarai Clemente
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can use this book to help them imagine but also obtain good vocabulary. Without pictures the book wouldnt be meaningful
Karina
This book has many examples of adjectives and presents them to readers in a fun and silly way. Each page has a funny sentence that describes something that is the most in the world. For example, "The stickiest thing in the world is a 400,000 pound wad of bubble gum." Readers will be engaged with the book's humor and are even given a chance to create their own part of the book at the end. The last page reads, "The ___est thing in the world is ___." This gets readers involved in a creative way and ...more
J. Gurantz
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

I am sometimes drawn to books that teach a specific grammar element. This book does just that and that's what made me curious to read it.

It plays with words like quietest, wiggliest, and smelliest. This is a great tool for a teacher.

I think it's a winner with elementary kids as well because of the author's use of humor and decision to deal with popular themes like space, animals, dragons, etc.

And the illustrations can definitely be called surreal which is wonderfully different when it comes t
Alice
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 stars The last page of this book is RIPPED and missing! ARGH! So all I have is "And the highest thing in the world is .......the sky." with a picture of a sky and a space ship??

So assuming I can figure out the ending, I liked this book. The cover however is a disappointment. I think I Would have picked a different picture. I liked the imagination and fun in the story. "The Smelliest thing in the world is a skunk convention" yep I am pretty sure it HAS to be...maybe a land fill...but maybe
Charmaine
Things That Are Most in the World is a silly book that have bizarre creatures doing outrageous activities. The story is intended to be humorous and light hearted. The last page in the book allows you to create your own activity with children. This why I would use read this book to my class on the first day of school. I would mention their name in the story and describe an activity that would be funny and light hearted. Students will be able to see that my classroom is structured for learning but ...more
Connie
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
There isn't much to this book, but it's pretty funny.

Every spread has a silly picture and a description. The HOTTEST thing in the world is a dragon eating chili peppers! The SMALLEST thing in the world is a baby flea!

The descriptions are pretty outlandish, matched only by the silliness of the illustrations. Sure, it's a short book - but it'll encourage your kid to think and create and imagine. That's worth the price of admission.
Siskiyou-Suzy
May 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I wasn't as charmed as I have been by Barrett's other books. I didn't think the examples were always so funny or even made sense (I mean -- I get why they wouldn't, but they didn't make sense in a way that works I suppose). There's a page in the back for kids to make up their own, but I feel quite certain only one or two of my preschoolers would be able to manage that. So that's for older kids, I suppose.
Stephanie
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Things That are Most in the World is another fun book that we discovered. Written by the author of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and it's sequel, Pickles to Pittsburgh, this book shows the silly side of the "-est" ending to words. What is the quietest thing in the world? Why, a worm chewing on peanut butter! The stickiest? A 400,000-pound wad of bubble gum. With clever illustrations to showcase these "-est" extremes, my girls giggle their way through this book everytime they read it.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was silly and funny. On each page, the author explains something strange that is _________________est in the world. We are going to make a class book about what we think the ______________________est things in the world are. Then, we are going to put it into our school library so other people can check it out and enjoy our writing!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, frogs
Barrett has a knack for humor. This book had my son jumping up and down with excitement and laughter. Our favorite page was the last in which Barrett provides a template for the reader to come up with their own "most" thing.

The bold-colored illustrations are detailed and depict the "most" things quite well.
Breana Vining
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is about exactly what the title says...things that are most in the world. The author describes things that are the wiggliest, the quietest, the biggest, etc. Children can come up with their own scenarios and make a class book with things that are most in the world.
Alyssa
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordplay
This book plays with the -est ending in a repeated pattern, allowing children to predict what is coming next. At the end of the book is a page that can be copied and handed out to children, so they can make their own 'most' statement.
Kiana Sims
This book would be a great introduction to adjectives when doing a poetry unit. You could get into grammar when talking about the -est words as well. Kids like this book because it's fun and silly. It allows them to tap into their creative side as well.
Molly
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Had to read this again because I could not remember it from 2012. I still like how absurd it is - why is an ant windsurfing in a bowl of pea soup? Who knows?! The more bizarre the book, the more I like it - for me and for kids.
Michelle
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute book to help us all think-what would be the most anything in the world.Very creative and a useful tool to fuel our minds.The shrillest thing in my world would be my bird Hecter when he squaks.As high pitched as he gets it has to be the shrillest to my ears.
Tracey
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Children's picture book. Read this to 2 kindergarten classes and they seemed to like it (though they probably didn't enjoy the skunk convention page as much as I did). Contrasted with "Pink is for Blobfish" for an engaging discussion on true books vs. fiction books.
Karen
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty good, but my six-year-old son laughed uproariously at every two-page spread. Obviously, he loved this book.
Bonnie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun book about superlatives. Makes a great shared reading.
The Brothers
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Silly examples of what are most in the world (i.e. wiggliest, heaviest, etc.) My favorite was a frog in a chicken suit.

Very fun illustrations.
babyhippoface
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book for teaching the concept of superlatives to kids.

• That's Good! That's Bad!
  • When a Monster Is Born
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Ah Ha!
  • I Spy Super Challenger: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Windblown
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • Alphabet Under Construction
  • Big Bad Bunny
Judi Barrett is the author of many well-loved books for children, including Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pickles to Pittsburgh, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing, and Things That Are Most in the World. She teaches art to kindergarten students at a school in her Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood. And she usually doesn't mind going to the dentist!