Start by marking “What Abigail Did That Summer (Rivers of London, #5.3)” as Want to Read:
What Abigail Did That Summer (Rivers of London, #5.3)

What Abigail Did That Summer

(Rivers of London #5.3)

Ghost hunter, fox whisperer, troublemaker.

Published March 18th 2021 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about What Abigail Did That Summer, please sign up.
Joerg Mosthaf I also see it's available to buy in Germany.…moreI also see it's available to buy in Germany.(less)
Nick Brough Depends imo. If you are ok to read a story in this setting and not worry to much about the who are the main characters and their background then I don…moreDepends imo. If you are ok to read a story in this setting and not worry to much about the who are the main characters and their background then I don't think it's a problem. I suspect this would be at least a little frustrating, although I've picked and read stories in a series out of order in the past.

However, if you want to understand the basic premise, then you ought to read at least the first story Rovers of London, although that wont provide all of the necessary background that comes up, in passing, in this story.(less)

Start your review of What Abigail Did That Summer (Rivers of London, #5.3)
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
What Abigail Did That Summer
(Rivers of London)
by Ben Aaronovitch
Subterranean Press @SubPress
March 18, 2021 publishing date
Abigail is the cousin to constable and wizard Peter Grant. This is really about all the background we find out about Abigail, that and her parents are often gone. So the beginning is slightly confusing.
Most of the story is told by Abigail giving an account of what happened to the missing teens and her new friend by explaining to a Fed officer and to the friend's mom. The sto
Linden
I've enjoyed all of the Rivers of London books, and when I saw the title, I thought the author was maybe starting a YA series highlighting Abigail, a young teen who is learning about magic. But any reader new to the series would receive no explanation of the back story of Abigail's history with the Folly and Peter Grant. The novel was really a hodgepodge, and while I liked the talking foxes, I found myself bored and confused with much of the plot, vaguely wondering what the author might have bee ...more
Lorena
Book 9 in the Rivers of London series is only the second told from the perspective of a character other than Peter Grant (although I supposed The October Man was technically book 7.5...I'm not sure if this will end up officially 9, or as 8.5). In this case, our narrator/main character is Abigail, Peter's teenaged cousin with a not terribly happy home life, sometime sort-of apprentice at The Folly, and beloved of London's Talking Foxes. While Peter is out of town on a not-yet known case, Abigail ...more
Emma Cathryne
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Subterranean Press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Not quite middle grade, not quite YA, not quite adult, this novel struggles to find where it fits but is throughly enjoyable nonetheless. It follows Abigail Kamara, a precocious thirteen year old minor characters from the Rivers of London series. While Peter is off on a case, Abigail is doing some investigating of her own regarding disappearing children and teens.

Abigail is a wonderful p
Lou Jacobs
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing

A rousing journey into the world of Abigail Kamara, the younger cousin of police constable and apprentice wizard Peter Grant. Abigail hopes one day to be allowed entry into the hallowed world of magic. Which she certainly knows is real. She is perceived as a ghost hunter, fox whisperer and a veritable troublemaker.
This long novella concerns Abigail's investigation into a rash of "temporary" missing schoolmates. They turn up soon after the police become involved, however unaware where they've be
Karyn Silverman
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: specfic, arcs, 2021-reads
Loved it, and I think this sets up a way to have an Abigail series parallel to but distinct from Peter’s already established timeline. The voice falters sometimes (that’s the missing star) but I didn’t mind much and I buy Abigail overall, even if I quibble with the consistency of her voice.
Kathinka Evans
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Abigail, one of my favourite side characters, has her own novella! It’s fun and a little scary and made me travel around Hampstead heath a lot on Google Maps. It also made me want to re-read Foxglove Summer. There’s a lovely fable hidden inside it, too! I love the map on the inside cover although there’s a misprint on it... And a dog seems to inexplicably change sex once (I am a fussy reader and tend to obsess with details like that...). But all in all lovely and just what I wanted (including th ...more
Kathy Davie
A short story, 5.3 in the Rivers of London urban fantasy and police procedural series, revolving around Police Constable Peter Grant, although the focus is on his cousin, Abigail Kamara, in this story, a good one for adults and young adults.

My Take
That Abigail is a crack-up and quite snarky. She's definitely "teaching" me the slang that kids are using as well. We also learn quite a lot about what Abigail has learned from Peter about police procedures...and her take on them. Okay, she also riffs
Benedict
Mar 23, 2021 rated it liked it
I have a book blog here

It’s here! The newest book in my favourite book series. It’s a novella but the two previous novellas have both been decent, can this one be just as good?

Some information about this book:

Release date: March 18th 2021
Published by: Gollancz
Pages: 183
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Rivers of London (Book #11, Novella #3)

Blurb:

GHOST HUNTER, FOX WHISPERER, TROUBLEMAKER.
Hobart
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
THRE ARE A FEW, UH, PROVISOS, A, A COUPLE OF QUID PRO QUOS
I almost feel like I need to go back and do a lot of re-reading before writing much about this book. I'd have thought that Abigail's involvement with the Folly and Peter wasn't this developed until later in the series.

Also, I know there's a connection between Abigail and the talking foxes, but I don't remember exactly when it comes about and how much of this bo
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSantum https://bibliosanctum.com/2021/03/21/...

The Rivers of London series has been graced with many incredible supporting characters, but none have been as compelling as Abigail Kamara, Peter Grant’s feisty teenage cousin who has been making a name for herself as a young practitioner-in-training and doing some of her own detective work on the side. So you can imagine how excited I was when I found out she was getting her own story in What Abigail Did That Summer, a nov
Max Reads
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the 11th book in the series and the 3rd in a series of novellas, but chronologically happens at the same time as book 5. So this is kind of 5.5 I guess. I feel like I'm back on board with this series after this book. Book 10, False Values was a little bit disappointing for me, and I don't know if it's where on the timeline this one is set but this feels like more oldschool Rivers of London.

There's some really cool secondary worldbuilding in this book, where we get a look at Fox society a
David Harris
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fitting into the Rivers of London chronology in parallel with Foxglove Summer, which took Peter Grant out of London to support Herefordshire Police with a supernatural case (or "weird b******s" as it's described by his mundane colleagues), What Abigail Did That Summer tells us what was happening on Hampstead Heath and particularly, what part his young cousin, Abigail Kamara, played in it.

Abigail, you may recall, wants to learn magic (this book explains why she she is so keen - I can see trouble
Annie
Mar 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

What Abigail Did That Summmer is a spin-off novella in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. Released 18th March 2021 by Subterranean Press, it's 232 page (print edition) and available in hardcover and ebook formats.

This series (and indeed the author's oeuvre full stop) is permanently on my must-read list. He's hysterically funny, often profound, clever, and always an engaging read. Since it occurs outside the main series, this novel doe
Rosie Rizk
Talking fox companions, magic, and a smart girl.

Abigail is a biracial London girl whose uncle works as a wizard on the police force. Using tips she learned from her uncle - magical and investigative skills, Abigail attempts to solve the mystery of missing local teens, with help from a team of talking spy foxes.

I've only read the first book in the Peter Grant series. I plan to eventually read the next one, but haven't gotten there yet. Abigail doesn't show up in that first book, so while I do hav
Holly
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
What Abigail did That Summer is a fun and engaging new novella in the Rivers of London series, which I recently started reading and absolutely love.

It follows Abigail, who has appeared in several of the Peter Grant books, but in this book she is the main character. Peter is away from London, and so Abigail takes the lead and solves a case involving missing children, talking foxes and a mysterious house.

I love Abigail's narration and voice. The footnotes scattered throughout the book, written by
Anthea
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Abigail Kamara, fox whisperer and protagonist of this novella, is the cousin of Rivers of London protagonist Peter Grant, and here she is finally getting her own story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading What Abigail Did That Summer and I liked how it expanded on the world building, but I will come back to that later.

For the first 100 pages or so, not much was happening. This did not really bother me however, since I loved joining Abigail on her various excursions to Hampstead Heath and her interactio
Jill Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love this series - whether it's being narrated by Peter or Abigail or a seemingly random German dude, it's absolutely fabulous! Aaronovitch's ability to shift point of view like he's taking a hat on and off is astonishing to me. He writes each character's voice in such a distinctive and clear manner - there must be 75 people living inside that man's head, and each one is captivating and compelling and has tales to tell... This time 'round, we focus on Abigail - and she's a delight. S ...more
Matt
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
What Abigail Did That Summer is a novella set during the same time that Foxglove Summer takes place in the main series. Following the adventures of the extremely capable and resourceful Abigail Kamara, cousin to Peter Grant, that summer it continues Aaronovitch's forays into fleshing out the wider Rivers of London world by featuring different protagonists in Novellas, such as Tobias Winter in The October Man novella.

The novella does a good job of fleshing out a lot of the back story of Abigail
M
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Abigail book, but I suggest newbies not start here.

This is a wonderful entry in the Rivers of London series, because I do enjoy Abigail Kumara, who could be Peter Grant’s smarter cousin. And she probably will be, someday.
It’s also fun that Abigail has Peter-ish inclinations, such as knowing the overground and underground trains. I enjoyed the “Cry Fox” graphic novels which feature Abigail and the foxes.

For those new to the series, this is not where you want to begin reading, because t
Sho
Hmmmm. I've awarded a generous 3 stars*, it really should be 2.5. This read as though Aaronovitch is branching this series out into the YA market, nothing wrong with the YA market but... I can't quite put my finger on it but i found this one not as well thought out or planned as the others.

And the foxes get a bit... annoying. I grew up on Narnia and usually talking animals would be right up my street but, these don't quite hit the spot. (although I LOVED the story about how the animals gave up t
Lou Jacobs
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Hayes
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Nick Brough
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what the problem was (if any), but this novella seems to have become long overdue given the date between it first mentioned and being published. In fact, this is now ancient history compared to the last main series novel. I also suspect that I will generally have an issue with Abigail only being 13 in this story. I never really like stories that have young children doing things that I just don't think 13 year sold do, buts thats just my experience. That wont stop me enjoying the boo ...more
Judith von Kirchbach
It is the summer of 2013 and Abigail Kamara has been left to her own devices. This might, by those who know her, be considered a mistake. While her cousin, police constable and apprentice wizard Peter Grant, is off in the sticks chasing unicorns Abigail is chasing her own mystery. Teenagers around Hampstead Heath have been going missing but before the police can get fully engaged the teens return home – unharmed but vague about where they’ve been.
Aided only by her new friend Simon, her knowledge
Waylander101

Set during Peter's sojourn to Herefordshire (see Foxglove Summer) we find that while the furore of the missing children there is ongoing there's a lesser mystery occurring in Hampstead. Children are going missing only to return with no memory of where they've been... Abigail is intrigued to say the least.

I found What Abigail Did That Summer to be a lovely if a little short jump into the life of one of the more interesting side characters of the series. Abigail is presented as a smart, caring and

Janice
Shelves: 2021, kobo
Well, this was an unexpected and pleasant surprise!

I've read the first 4 or 5 books in this series, but I've been distracted by new, shiny things since then. At my SFF book club last week, someone mentioned this book. Since I'm All About The Foxes, I had to check it out.

Abigail is a precocious child, smarter than you'd expect, and aware of magic and wanting to be have a piece of it! She becomes aware of the fact that kids her age (early teens, mostly, I think) are going missing for a day or few.
OLLI at WVU
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Abigail Kamara learned discovered what magic is, and now that she knows, she’ll do anything to learn it–including taking and mastering Latin.

If you’ve read the Rivers of London books, you already know just how marvelous Abigail is.

I stayed in the café and made some notes in my Falcon diary. Peter gave me my first one because he knew that getting me involved in magic was the only way to keep me out of trouble. This one was diary number three, but only because I write small.

If you haven’t read the
Jim Mann
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Abigail Kamara is Peter Grant's cousin. Peter is a police detective in the special London unit known as the Folly, the unit in charge os investigating supernatural occurrences. Peter, along with his superior Thomas Nightingale, are practitioners (wizards), and when Peter discovers that his young cousin has the ability to see ghosts and is off on her own investigating, he decides it's better to have her somewhat on the inside than off on her own, so he promises that he'll teach her magic if she b ...more
Nikki
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
As you may know, I adore the Rivers of London series and really enjoy Abigail as a character. I was pretty excited about this book, as I like novellas and wanted to know the back story of Abigail and the foxes.

Sadly, this book didn't quite meet my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, and the mystery itself was Ben's normal high quality. The issue was the delivery. The story couldn't really decide what it wanted to be, or which audience it was aimed at.

While trying to write like
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Fire Games: How Vicky Lost Her Shirt Twice in One Night (A King's Watch Story, #5)
  • The Dating Plan
  • Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
  • Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
  • Timeline
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Sorrowland
  • Smoke (IQ #5)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)
  • Seveneves
  • Ten Rules for Faking It
  • The Barbizon: The Hotel That Set Women Free
  • Karma Moon: Ghost Hunter
  • Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)
  • 3zekiel
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (8 books)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)