Start by marking “The Morning After” as Want to Read:

Lisa Jackson

The Morning After

(Savannah #2)

HIS VICTIMS . . .
A woman is frantic as she awakens in a dark, closed space. From above her comes the muffled sound of cruel laughter, followed by the hard splatter of dirt. Pure terror takes over as she realizes she's being buried alive--and her last breath is a scream that no one but a sadistic killer will hear . . .

WILL TAKE HIS SECRETS . . . To journalist Nikki Gill
Expected publication: December 1st 2020 by Zebra (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Morning After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Morning After

Start your review of The Morning After
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed thoughts about Lisa Jackson's serial killer novel, The Morning After. Not far into the book, I had the distinct impression that the characters had a past together. This was confirmed when I looked up Jackson's Web site; this book was preceded by The Morning Before. In fact, Jackson has quite a few books under her belt-including myriad romances, which made it even more disappointing. If this had been a new writer, I could have forgiven the flat characters, unbelievable dialogue, and ...more
Donna
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer digs up caskets and puts a drugged person on top of the original body and he buries them alive with a microphone to hear their terrorized last moments of air. The killer sends letters to detective Pierce Reed and to journalist Nikki Gillette taunting them with rhymes. The first victim is Reed's former lover but the killer also seems to be connected to Nikki as her apartment is broken into and her tires slashed.

My library got this book in last week and I reserved it thinking it w
Emma
An outlandish plot (but it comes with the genre, I hear you saying) is sank by moments of painful stupidity. I could most certainly have saved the life of the killer's last victim and I've never had any training in police work or any type of investigative work. And here is how, genius me would have saved victim X: since both book characters and readers know the identity of the corpses whose graves and coffins the killer uses to bury his victims alive (I'm not giving anything away this MO is desc ...more
Sonja ✧・゚。★*☾
I read 'The Morning After' a long time ago in Dutch. I was looking through my (physical) bookshelves when I noticed this at the back. I vividly remember it being a very thrilling and suspenseful read. If Lisa Jackson's other books are as good as I remembered this one to be I might try some more Lisa Jackson crime thrillers in the future . . .
Connie Wisniewski
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Talk about suspense. I would recommend it to all thrill seekers. Where does she come up with these ideas?
Jool
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair. Slow a lot of the time.
Mary Cushnie-Mansour
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2014
The Morning After by Lisa Jackson is a nail biting thriller that will keep you whipping through the pages right up to the end. Who is this killer that is taunting the police, especially Pierce Reed, the tough cop who is getting personalized messages from the killer? But the killer doesn't stop there - they begin to send the same kind of personalized messages to Nikki Gillette, a journalist who is looking to report more than the local school board meetings and other such mundane news.

Pierce and
jenjn79
Gayle
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed this book despite the very BIG errors I found in it. It's about one of the scariest things in the world--being buried alive--and except for the errors would have been a real winner. A big piece of the action hinges on the heroine having her cell phone and the battery going dead. Unfortunately, her cell phone was bagged up as evidence back on page 369 and was not given back to her. The detective shows up first at the judge's house, even though (pages before) police units ...more
Melanie
This book definitely held my interest, but there were parts that I felt were way off base. If people are being buried alive, common sense would indicate the need for an increased police presence at cemeteries. There were many instances like this in this book where I felt the writer missed the mark. All in all an okay read, certainly not a favourite.
Sheila
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book if you like suspense. I loved this book from the first chapter. If you can, read the Savannah series in order. I read #3 first and then #2 . . . kind of a spoiler because I knew the outcome.
Anusha S Natesh
To say it’s a romantic thriller is a bit over the line. There is no romance involved , and the so called romance at the end feels forced.
The concept of two bodies in one coffin is definitely new and chilling. But the protagonist getting in trouble and somehow ending up getting saved has been a common theme in all these thrillers lately.

The killer was not easy to guess, even though he called himself the Survivor! I give the 3 stars for that.
The story felt repititive and times, and not much intrig
Liz Destefano
P.S. Winn
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanting to further her career as a journalist, Nikki Gillette decides to follow Pierce Reed who is investigating a serial killer. The murderer is burying women alive. Nikki soon finds that instead of being the journalist at the top of the ladder the killer is after her. Lisa Jackson has a number of amazing stories and a great writing style.
Christine Jalili
Great book.

I loved this book and stayed on edge until the end. Why is Detective Pierce Reed getting notes? Who is the Grave Robber? Is Nikki Gillette going to be the next victim? Loved how Pierce and Nikki are falling for each other, can he keep her safe? I was shocked at who the killer was. I highly recommend this book.
Becky Schulman
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nikki Gillette becomes the confidant of The Grave Robber as she continues to work for the big story that will make her career. Pierce Reed is the cop who is investigating the Grave Robber's murders and trying to find the key to this serial killer's motive in order to save Nikki as well as his next victim.
Carol Hurtig
When people are being trapped and buried alive in coffins of the already dead, a police officer and a journalist are thrown into the mix. They are somehow connected and it is a race against time to figure out how. I liked that the author didn't just throw them in bed together. They built the relationship reluctantly.
AJ Buchanan
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claustrophobia aside....

If you can set aside any feelings of claustrophobia, then this is a great read. As always, Lisa Jackson keeps you guessing until the end. Just when you think you know who-done-it..... well, guess again;-).
William Mc Callum
he Morning After is a very will written second novel in the series. The characters are interesting and will developed. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys will written mysteries. Enjoy reading 2011
Pauline Chamberlain
A good thriller much in the style of Lisa Gardner and Karen Rose
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
This was a great serial killer edge of your seat thriller! And the end!!!!? 🙄🤐 Loved it so much I bought another Lisa Jackson book to read next 😁
Parthenia  Ham
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More! More! More!

Is this a part of a series? It should be! Kept me on the edge of my seat...and awake!! I loved the characters and the plot kept me guessing. Very exciting!
Vicky
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Lisa Jackson books and this was not a disappointment.
Michelle
I like the Pierce/Nikki books, these were good stories
Bojana
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love LIsa Jackson
MuchAdo
Jun 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely no romance at all (unless you call the rudimentary statement of feelings 'romance') and no sex scenes between hero and heroine. NOT A SINGLE ONE. As for suspense, it sucked big time.
Anita Hargreaves
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I prefer to read this book as quite a lengthy read, terrifying read but excellent read. Read few times now x
Lydia
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't even finish it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: remove duplicate series entry 6 104 Feb 03, 2012 04:37AM

• Dead Ringer (Richmond Novels #2)
  • Long After Midnight
  • Cover Your Eyes (Morgans of Nashville, #1)
  • The Babysitter
  • Shattered
  • Silent Scream (Romantic Suspense, #11; Minneapolis, #2)
  • I'll Never Let You Go (Morgans of Nashville, #3)
  • Nowhere Safe (Nowhere, #3)
  • Vulnerable (Morgans of Nashville, #4)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • Thick as Thieves
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • Dying Scream (Richmond Novels #3)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Be Afraid (Morgans of Nashville, #2)
  • Wild Hearts (Secrets and Lies, #1)
  • Bait

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

Savannah (3 books)
  • The Night Before (Savannah, #1)
  • Tell Me (Savannah #3)