Start by marking “The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)

The Ravens

(The Ravens #1)

At first glance, the sisters of ultra-exclusive Kappa Rho Nu - the Ravens - seem like typical sorority girls. Ambitious, beautiful, and smart, they're the most powerful girls on Westerly College's Savannah, Georgia, campus.

But the Ravens aren't just regular sorority girls. They're witches.

Scarlett Winter has always known she's a witch - and she's determined to be the soror
Published November 3rd 2020 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about The Ravens, please sign up.
Rebecca There is light romance and relationship issues. A lot of talk about being in love but it is depicted more as crushing and a few kiss scenes.

Start your review of The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
Mara YA Mood Reader
Finally college life! But mostly I’m just here because Ravens and Kass Morgan
01/15/2020
Bertie (LuminosityLibrary)
I always love books that focus on witches, and this one is about a sorority that hides a coven! It took me a while to get into this book, but despite its faults, the excellent second half and the perfect amount of witchiness left me thoroughly entertained.

Kappa Rho Nu isn't an average sorority. It hides a coven of witches. For Vivi Deveraux, who's using university to get away from her eccentric mother, the sorority is a place to redefine herself. For Scarlett, who's part of a legacy family, it m
❀ Alex ❀ (The Scribe Owl)
4.25/5 stars

A million thanks to Edelweiss for this ARC in exchange for an honest review! This review is based off an advance copy, so some things might be changed on publishing.

This book called to me as soon as I saw it on Edelweiss! I love anything paranormal, especially witches, and a college story isn’t something you see very often in YA. This was a nice shakeup of my normal reads and I’d definitely recommend it!

Vivi hasn’t ever stayed in one place long enough to make friends, drifting all ov
Lou
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ravens is the first instalment of a young adult fantasy series of the same name and is the perfect read to curl up with during spooky season. It is told from the alternating perspectives of two students at the prestigious Westerly college in Savannah, Georgia. They are both part of a coven of witches covertly hiding in plain sight disguised as sorority sisters. Vivi is new and hoping to use her move to Westerly as an opportunity to reinvent herself. Sick of being dragged around the country b ...more
Becca
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For me this was a disappointment. I loved the concept - a sorority full of witches? Count me in. The execution wasn't great though, to be completely honest.

The book follows Vivi, a freshman, and Scarlett, a junior, both witches at Westerly College. Vivi doesn't know she's a witch - she grew up moving from place to place, living in crappy apartments with her mother who always moved them on due to 'funny feelings'. Scarlett is the opposite - her mother and older sister were both presidents of The
Ms. Woc Reader
If you haven't heard of The Ravens it's a story about sorority which is actually a secret coven. The story follows two sorority sisters Vivi Deveraux, a freshman and Scarlett Winters, a junior. While Vivi has come to Westerly to escape her mother and find stability she stumbles upon something much greater when she discovers powers she never knew she possessed. Scarlett comes from a legacy of witches having been raised her whole life to be a Raven like her mother and older sister. This year her b ...more
anna ✩
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

Thank you to Edelweiss and the Publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Ravens has everything. It's a story about sorority girls at Westerley who are witches. There's magic, there's intrigue, there's friendship, there's betrayal, there's twists and turns. The premise of this draws you in but the actual story will keep you locked in from the very first page.

Vivi Deveraux is just starting at Westerley and she is hoping this will be the year her life fi
Alex
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10-and-11
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of The Ravens in exchange for an honest review.

Modern day witches in a seniority? I was in love with this book from the premise. The Ravens is told in two perspectives, one belonging to a freshman girl with a paranoid mum (or so she thinks) who's hoping to use university as a way to finally get away from their nomad ways and establish a real group of friends and sense of life and the other belonging to a senior from a family of witches with a mysteri
Rachel
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

This book was amazing! I love that the story is told from two different points of views, that of Scarlett who has grown up a witch and always known that her destiny and goal was to be president of her sorority/hidden in plain site witches coven. The other point of view is from Vivi who just wanted to finally have a stable place and chose Westerly for the school...and has no idea about witchcraft.

This novel was wo
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult / Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

The Ravens is the first installment in co-authors Kass Morgan (the 100 series) and Danielle Page’s (Dorothy Must Die series) Raven series. This is a contemporary fantasy series about a sorority of witches called Kappa Rho Nu (Ravens). It is told in two different perspectives. One belonging to Westerly College freshman Vivian (Vivi) Devereaux, and the other to Westerly College Junior Scarlett Winter. For Vivi, this is her chance
Danielle (always_read_the_end_first)
Great witches! Prefect for fall!

I didn’t like that this was very predictable.

I like Scarlett and hate her at the beginning. Her character arc through out this novel is 😘

I love Vivi! I mean how can you not vote for the underdog?!
Taschima
I am just not impressed. It is a decent novel, the pace works, the characters are passable if not memorable (other than Scarlet), but the college setting/sorority as a witch coven thing was not used to its fullest potential. It brings nothing new/exciting to the table. We get so hung up on the background mystery of "what did Scarlett DO?" or "Who is going after the witches?!" that the journey from the new witches is barely explored. From one chapter to the next the new witches are able to do rid ...more
Kristen Beverly
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ravens is a really fun and cute story about a sorority of witches at a college. Vivi and Scarlett who couldn’t be more different, but when Scarlett becomes Vivi’s Big in the sorority, they have to learn to put their differences aside. Everything that happens in this sorority seems to bring up more questions than answers for Vivi. The Ravens took me back to when I was in college with sorority sisters, drama and a whole lot of fun. Throw in the magic, witches, and extra drama from all that and ...more
Jen Ryland
This was a fun, quick read about a sorority of witches at a Southern college. I love witches so I really enjoyed it even if it was pretty fluffy.

Perhaps because I've watched all the Buffy episodes, I saw the clue right off and had figured out who was responsible for the murder and mayhem.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Let's be friends on Bookstagram!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!
zero
Nov 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, read-on-ebook
wasted potential 😄if i have to read about sisterhood one more time idk what im gonna do with myself
Shireen Hakim
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: female YA readers
Although I don't like sororities, I love ravens, so this YAFF book was a must-read for me. Bestselling authors Kass Morgan and Danielle Paige cleverly take a twist on the fact that cliquey sorority girls are often called 'witches,' and literally turned their characters into them!

As a cross between The Craft and Mean Girls, reading The Ravens is some of the most fun I've had in awhile. The pace is easy, the characters well-developed and loveable, and their adventures spooky yet hilarious.

The Rav
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thankyou to Hodder & Stoughton for providing me with a copy of The Ravens, via NetGalley, and Hachette Australia for sending me a physical copy, in exchange for an honest review.

Vivi has led a life of moving around every time her mother decided their current living arrangement wasn’t favoured by the tarot cards, or her gut feeling, but she’s finally off to college to start a new life as, well, whoever she wants to be.

Scarlett is, and has always been, expected to become sorority Kappa Rho Nu’s ne
Ellen (thereadingrendezvous)
Vivi has been on the move with her mother for years, following her from one place to the next while she reads tarot cards for anyone who will believe them, not settling in one place long enough to make friends or feel at home.
When Vivi gets an admission to westerly collage she knows this is her chance to finally start over, get away from her mother’s bogus tarot readings and and set down roots.
What ViVi doesn’t expect when she arrives is to get accepted in to the most exclusive sorority at the
Poppy
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now THAT is how you start a new book series! Kass Morgan and Danielle Paige, individual powerhouses in their own right authoring 'The 100' series and the 'Dorothy Must Die' novels respectively, have joined forces to write something truly compelling and captivating. I am already desperate to read more about the Kappas and their magical world!

The novel follows the perspective of two protagonists who attend Westerly college, Scarlett who is a Junior and well established in the Kappa Rho Nu sorority
ChillwithJill
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a hot minute since I have found a spooky, witchy little tale to sink my teeth into. Luckily The Ravens provided just about everything I had been craving.

It’s a little bit The Secret Circle and quite a bit of The Craft, but it somehow takes the good parts of those witchy icons and melds them into something that matches the time we’re living in. For the most part at least.

Let’s jump right in, shall we?

The Ravens follows two very different members of the exclusive, secretive Kappa soro
Karen Barber
The first in what promises to be an exciting series, exploring witches in the modern era and chucking in a strong dose of college-based life too.
Vivi has always felt different. Used to moving regularly she is fed up of living with her mother and her fascination with tarot cards and predicting the future. Vivi is set to go to college where she can finally be who she wants to be. But what if the things her mother talks about aren’t complete nonsense?
Vivi arrives at her new college and immediately
Hanna
Sad to say that this was really disappointing...
- The Mystery is really predictable. I knew who it was immediately when the character was introduced.
- This read more like young adult book than new adult.
- Everything feels really rushed.
- Trope of adults keeping secrets to protect, but actually end up causing so much unnecessary danger and pain to their child.
- I hate it so much when characters make really obviously bad decisions just so there can be drama...

I loved the idea and even enjoyed t
Amanda
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**I received this book from netgalley in exchange for a review**

"Magic didn't preach. It gave and took. This was the gift. This was the cost."

If you feel like you’ve read this before, it’s probably because you have. The Ravens is a frankensteins-monster mishmash of every university magic secret society I’ve read/ seen before. It fails to bring anything new to the table. The magic system is boring, and the verbiage of the spells themselves is painfully cheesy. There isn’t even anything interesti
Heather Witte
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I truly enjoyed reading this book. The Ravens was an imaginative, fun, and light take on a coven of witches in the modern day and age. I look forward to seeing what she does with the second book as I would definitely love to see how the relationships between the characters develop. I would definitely recommend picking up this book when it comes out in January of 2021!

I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 because it didn’t hook me as much as I really wanted it to and I had to keep pushing myself to pick i
AtenRa
Oh my. This book.

I really thought it would be one of my 2020 faves. Not only does it play on sorority books nostalgia like The Ivy or Private series which I really enjoyed, but also...witches?? I mean, seriously. This sounds perfect, right up my alley. And until around halfway I thought it would be good. Not the best, but a fun, enjoyable read.
But it started going downhill from there real fast.

Even though the girls are supposedly in college, the vibe was definitely high school. Vivi, the main fe
Mere,
Oct 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-books
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

3 Stars
I was really excited for a book about witches set in college. I feel like there is a dearth of books in the world set in college, so when I requested this I was extremely excited. I was hoping for something that I would love, and while I didn’t end up loving it, I did end up liking it. I felt that overall, this was a generally good book, but I also felt that there was some confusion for me in
Clinton Read
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was soooooo good! I loved how unique magic system was in this book! Using Tarot Cards as a balance is soo cool! Plus all the characters were so inviting. I just wanted to learn more and more about each and everyone of them! I def can’t wait to read more in this world! One of my favorite Witch books!!!!
Lisa
What a fun and refreshingly new tale involving modern day witches! What a way to hide coven - in a sorority. It takes hell week to another level! The novel alternates between 2 narrators. One is the Raven sorority President hopeful, Scarlett, who has dark secrets in her past which may prevent her her candidacy. Next is college bound Vivi, who has no idea she's real witch after years of calling her mother a fraud for reading the cards. The two characters are paired together as Big and Little as t ...more
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witches are real. And if they are real, wouldn't a sorority be the perfect place to hide a coven in plain sight? At Westerly College, the Kappa Rho Nu sorority is just such a coven and their rush rituals are different than those of other sororities. Of course it's also the most exclusive and desired sorority, but Vivi's unimpressed. She's just happy to get away from the peripatetic life she's led with her mother and wants a normal life at college. It was a little disappointing to see how quickly ...more
Amber (The Book Bratz)
I’m here for this 👀 Thank you so much HMH for the eGalley!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Among the Beasts & Briars
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Key to Fear (The Key, #1)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • A Golden Fury
  • A Walk to Remember
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite
  • The Hating Game
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Even If We Break
  • Lies Like Poison
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
Kass Morgan studied literature at Brown and Oxford, and now resides in Brooklyn, where she lives in constant fear of her Ikea bookcase collapsing and burying her under a mound of science fiction and Victorian novels.

The Ravens (2 books)
  • The Monarchs (The Ravens, #2)

News & Interviews