Start by marking “The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)

The Off Limits Rule

(It Happened in Nashville #1)

I have found rock bottom. It’s here, moving in with my older brother because I’m too broke to afford to live on my own. But that’s okay because we’ve always been close and I think I’m going to have fun living with him again.

That is until I meet Cooper…

Turns out, my brother has very strong opinions on the idea of me dating his best friend and is dead set against it. Accordi
Published January 4th 2021 (first published December 13th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Off Limits Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Off Limits Rule

Start your review of The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 18, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
At a third in, I stopped caring about this couple. Lucy was a tough sell to start. She's such a cringy whiner baby that I wanted her to just stop talking. The jury was out with Cooper, and I almost had sympathy for the guy who has been living outside his norm and is paying the price for the impression he has given of being a player when he's really not. Only then he goes into a jag about how he can't pursue Lucy before getting permission from her brother and I'm all, "is she or is she not an adu ...more
jordane
“I think it’s probably unhealthy, but since the day I met you, you’re all I think about, and I’m helpless to do anything about it.”

A bit too insta-love, but it was a cute and sweet rom-com. Lucy and Cooper had great chemistry and were adorable together. I liked the single parent trope too because I'm always a sucker for kids in books. Next book with Jessie and Drew sounds interesting so I'm curious to see what will happen between those two!
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Yes, I am starting this new year off right by reading Sarah Adam's new book, The Off Limits Rule. Seeing that ARC land in my inbox made me feel like one lucky girl. I absolutely adored this book- loved it, devoured it. It was so, SO good. Book hangover good. Sigh. I want to go back and read it again right now.

I am drawn to books told in the first person. Getting to know Lucy and Cooper was so fun. Emotions were all over the place but the attraction between Lucy and Cooper was the one steady thin
zaraa
this is my third book by sarah adams that didn't do it for me and it's so disappointing because i love these tropes. might tRY aGaIN later but knowing me, i doubt it. ...more
Shantal  (VERIFED BOOK LOVER)
3.35 stars.

Cute
Melissa
I needed this book!!! This was just my cup of tea, my bread and butter, just a joy to read. I laughed so many times. Adams really let lose with Lucy's character that girl has no filter and is so awkward and it just worked for me. Cooper was just yummy and the chemistry was Amazing!!! I can't wait for her brothers story!!
This is clean with steamy kisses and talk of sex.
Katie W
I want to live in this story

What's better than laughing and swooning throughout an adorably cute book? Not much! Lucy is down on her luck and when her older brother rescues her and she meets his best friend, interesting sparks and chemistry ignite. When a meet cute has you squirming, cringing, and blushing, you know it's good. And honestly, this forbidden relationship had me feeling like a sneaky teen, with all the awkwardness and emotion.

Lucy is a very relatable character who is full of quirk
Elisa ❀
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-favorites
Cooper and Lucy's relationship explain by Joey Tribiani :

Bree Hill
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romcoms, romance
This was my first but damn sure won't be my last, Sarah Adams book. In the year 2021, I want all the romantic comedies I can get.
The Off Limits Rule is the romance between Lucy and Cooper. Lucy is a single Mom who recently went through a break up, was living with the stress of motherhood and single mom hood-so her big brother drives to ATL, and picks her and her son up and brings them back to Nashville. This is where she meets her brother's new best friend Cooper who is also new to the city, hav
Kathy
3.5

Like many of you, I was very excited for the release of this book! While, overall, I enjoyed the book, I didn't love it quite like I was hoping. I was doing a fun buddy-read with this one and we were having a great time swapping fun quotes we enjoyed.

Cooper and Lucy have an instant attraction and fun chemistry. I did kind of feel that their romance was more superficial, a lot of focus on their mutual attraction and sex. I also thought her brothers reaction to everything was over-the-top, esp
Brook Obsessed
This is one of those books that keeps you smiling the entire time you’re reading it. Hopeful and full of laugh out loud moments, this is an adorable friends to lovers romance about a single mom falling for the brothers best friend. A quirky and endearing love story that is as perfect on the outside as it is within its pages.

Lucy ends up moving back home with her son and into her brothers house. She quickly learns that her brother has a new bestie named Cooper and Drew has warned her to stay as f
Steph Meyer
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Well the reading slump is over. I read this entire book in one day (what else is there to do when you have the day off and outside is a deep freeze?). But also, this book was just that good. I truly couldn’t put it down.

I adored so much about this book. Lucy is hilarious, awkward and so relatable. Her internal dialogue is hilarious. I could not wipe the smile off my face while reading this one. Cooper is perfection. Levi is such a great addition as well. You can’t help but love him.

This closed
Tara
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The only negative thing about Sarah Adams book is the book hangover it gives you when it’s done...and this one will be a doozy because I adored this book!! It was hilarious, swoony, tension-filled, romantic, sweet, and gave me all.the.feels!!
Lucy was so down to earth and adorable and lovable. I loved seeing her through Cooper’s eyes. 😍 And Cooper. Ugh he was the perfect mix of swoony and sweet, and was the most absolute perfect match for Lucy.
I haven’t met a Sarah Adams book I haven’t loved an
susana ♡
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
arc kindly provided by the author

if you look for “wholesome” in the dictionary, sarah’s books should appear as example. in fact, i just looked for it in urban dictionary (obviously the best source of english semantics), and it says wholesome means “self-less, considerate, sweet, compassionate, thoughtful, generous, genuine” and i could go on with the list but i think you get my point bahaha. best description i could ever find.

the off limits rule! a brother’s best friend romance! when life happen
el
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
As someone who had read previous books from this author you know what you will find in them, and that's why I was so excited to read the off limits rule.
This is full of cuteness, sweetness and softness in every page. Trust Sarah Adams to make you laugh and cry at the time in a single page.

It was no surprise that Lucy and Cooper robbed my heart. They were adorable and so easy to read, smiling with everything they did or said. I loved Lucy as a character, so strong and independent in her own way.
Cait | GoodeyReads
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. Devoured in hours. Oh my goodness. Her best book yet.

Full review to come!
Tia
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So cute! Loved it.
Lauren (thebookscript)
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Id rather you fight me than ignore me for sports. Id never thought I’d sympathize with a married woman so much, but tonight has changed me.”

As much as I enjoyed Sarah’s first book in this series I LOVED this third addition as she makes her way into the contemporary romance scene.

Lucy is a single mother of a toddler. She’s just had a mediocre break up to a man she couldn’t care less about and is feeling like she hit rock bottom when she moves back to her home town and into her brother Drews ba
Vanessa (bookscallmyheart)
The Off-Limits Rule was EVERYTHING! I read a lot of romance and it is my favorite genre, but every once in a while a book comes along that just consumes me and makes my heart pitter-patter. The Off-Limits Rule is one of those special books! Thank you so much to the author, Sarah Adams for the gifted ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Lucy is a single mom with a young son and is moving back home to Nashville after a failed attempt to make a life for herself in Atlanta. She has to move in with
Sherna
Would have rated this higher if the characters acted their age instead of acting more immature than the toddler in the story.
Vibliophile
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A spicy sweet indulgence!

Lucy has been on the receiving end of some serious emotional manipulation by the guy who sired her son. She's lost her confidence & self esteem, so when a handsome guy like Cooper shows interest in her she initially distrusts him & mistrusts herself.

I could so totally sympathize with the fretting about things I said - & did I sound dumb or too obvious or whatever. The humor of them both doing it is so rich!

Drew is a wonderful brother & friend. I really liked that his c
Deanna (A Novel Glimpse)
Original review: A Novel Glimpse

If I Marie Kondo was holding up a copy of The Off Limits Rule asking if it brought me joy, the answer would be YES. It would be a keeper. This book brought me SO MUCH joy. I freaking loved every minute I spent reading it. I laughed constantly. It was exactly what I needed to read.

Lucy was one of those quirky characters with low self-esteem who could have been annoying but instead came off as hilarious and relatable. I loved her relationship with her family. She wa
RateTheRomance
A closed-door romance? Not for me.
A closed-door romance by Sarah Adams? ALWAYS.

I don't know how she does it, but this author manages to make these books hot as hell without any descriptive sex scenes.

*gif of Leonardo as Jay Gatsby toasting with a glass of champagne*

This book is WONDERFUL. Seriously, if you don't usually read PG romances I urge you to give this book a try.

Lucy is my favorite kind of heroine: kooky, smart, hilarious, real, sometimes uncertain, can be socially awkward, and a fanta
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welp, that’s the third book by Sarah Adams that I’ve gobbled up in no time! Now I have a book hangover with no cure. I need part 2! Help!

This brother’s best friend, single parent, closed door, nerdy romance is exactly what I needed. The characters in this story are perfectly imperfect, relatable and it’s just a clean, fun, light-hearted romance.

Lucy has hit rock bottom and moves back into her brother’s house with her 4-year-old son. She ends up meeting Cooper, her brother Drew’s best friend, whe
Marilee
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fabulous rom com from Sarah Adams! This book has so many of the laugh out loud moments and the relatable characters that I have come to love in her writing. Lucy's life is a hot mess and because she faces unique challenges as a single mother, she moves in with her brother Drew. When she meet's Drew's best friend Cooper, she is definitely interested but has a hard time letting go of the voice inside her head that tells her she is not good enough.

I loved that we got to see the story from
Christina
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Adams is truly queen of romantic comedies that just make you laugh and happy inside. This time it’s brother’s best friend and single mom. Cooper and Lucy are funny, awkward, cute and the couple that have best friend and soulmate energy. Lucy goes from her entire life exploding and packing up and going back home and finding the support system she needed. It’s pretty much insta love for both of them but the slow burn of them saying we can’t! kept me wondering why! but it all turned out well ...more
Ramona Porter
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Oh man I adore this book! This was my first Sarah Adams and now I need her other books and cannot wait for the next book in this series.

This is such a sweet story following Lucy as she experiences the love she deserved after great heartbreak, becoming a single mother in the process and experiencing the insecurities that accompany such heartbreak.

The characters were very likeable. Lucy is picking up the pieces of her life when she meets her brothers best friend. Immediately her brother dictates
Jill (chill_jilland_read)
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
This.

Now this is a romance I was needing.

Not only is the writing quick and fun but the characters engage you from the start. Lucy is the ultimate real girl and Cooper is the hottest book boyfriend for her. Their relationship was sweet, sweet, sweet.

And there is praise for the MOM BOD.

Love this one!
The Swoony Awards
Nominated for a 2021 Swoony Award, to vote click here: https://tinyurl.com/y593ce67 ...more
Sarah Berner Nelson
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Y’all- this book is entertaining (seriously laughing out loud) and oh so wonderful. You feel good about the book, the characters, the ending—all of it. Lucy is easy to relate too and heartwarming. Cooper, sigh, just amazing too.

I can’t wait for the next book in the series.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 14 Jan 02, 2021 09:53PM

• The Accidental Text
  • If It's Perfect (The Wedding Business #1)
  • Falling for Your Boss (Love Clichés, #2)
  • Suits and Spark Plugs
  • Falling for Your Best Friend's Twin (Love Clichés, #1)
  • All's Fair in Love and Blood
  • Falling for Your Fake Fiancé (Love Clichés Sweet RomCom #3)
  • The Christmas Blanket
  • Love From Scratch: A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Comedy
  • Ever After Always (Bergman Brothers, #3)
  • Christmas In Love  (Greenbank Holiday Romances #1)
  • A Christmas Spark
  • Give Me One Good Reason: A Sweet Romantic Comedy (Shaped By Love Book 4)
  • The Twelve Holidates: a Sweet Christmas RomCom Novella
  • (Not So) Alone for Christmas
  • Forever Wild (The Simple Wild, #2.5)
  • Simply Starstruck
  • The Joy of Christmas Present (A Dickens of a Christmas #2)

It Happened in Nashville (2 books)
  • The Temporary Roomie (It Happened in Nashville, #2)

News & Interviews

“I put my finger on her lips. “It sounds stupid, but Drew’s friendship is really important to me, Luce. Although he can drive me insane, he feels like my brother sometimes. I need his approval where you’re concerned—which I do believe he’ll give to me with time. But if I pursued a relationship with you right after he asked me not to, he would not react well. Imagine how much strain that would put on me and you right from the beginning.” 0 likes
“Nope. I’ve just been looking for my family.” Lucy’s playful smile dims into something meaningful as she looks up at me, trying to see if I buried a hidden meaning inside my statement, Hallmark style. I did.” 0 likes