Start by marking “Monstrous Design (Battalion of the Dead, #2)” as Want to Read:
Monstrous Design (Battalion of the Dead, #2)

Monstrous Design

(Battalion of the Dead #2)

Following the thrills and spills of Dangerous Remedy, the Battalion of the Dead return in a dazzling new adventure, set amid the opulence and squalour of 18th-century London and Paris.

1794, London: Camille and Al are desperately hunting Olympe's kidnapper. From the glamorous excesses of the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens to the city's seedy underbelly, they are caught in a dang
Published June 10th 2021 by Zephyr Books

Start your review of Monstrous Design (Battalion of the Dead, #2)
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Rep: biracial (Black, white) lesbian mc, Black mc, bi mc, gay mc, side character with Parkinson's disease

CWs: past child abuse, gore

Galley provided by publisher

Monstrous Design, the sequel to Dangerous Remedy, is a book that’ll have you on the edge of your seat. The action starts on the first page and doesn’t let up to the last.

The story starts pretty much from where Dangerous Remedy ends. Camille and Al are following after James in England (James, who also gets his own POV in thi
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.5/5 stars. This is the second instalment in the Battalion of the Dead series.

Camille has left her home, her found family, and her heart in Paris as she ventures to London, in the hope of tracking down those who stole something from her. Many more mysteries are soon to present themselves and they require Camille to doubt everything about those surrounding her. Can she trust all of their intentions? Or will betrayal and lies soon be revealed?

I did slightly prefer the atmospheric Pa
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thankyou to Head of Zeus for providing me with a copy of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Monstrous Design follows directly on from Dangerous Remedy – Camille, separated from Ada, and Al are determined to find Olympe’s kidnapper. Camille has a plan, but it’s dangerous at best and time is running out before she’ll have to actually go through with it.

Meanwhile, the experiments with power haven’t ended with Olympe and a new, horrifying one is taking place.

I loved Dangero
Zoe
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads

Monstrous Design picks up where Dangerous Remedy left off. The Battalion is separated - Camille and Al are chasing after James and Olympe, whilst Ada and Guil remain in Paris and attempt to infiltrate the enemy. All of the narratives were extremely interesting, as Ada’s arc provided a more in-depth look at the ‘scientific’ advances of the time and some of the gory experiments taking place, whilst Camille provided an insight into the privileged lives of the wealthy English as she adopts a more la
Izzie
May 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, this wasn’t a 5 star read like the first book, but I definitely have faith that the final book will be incredible. This was still an extremely solid read, and I loved being back with The Battalion of The Dead and the rich setting of the French Revolution was just as fantastic as the first book. My main “criticism”, I guess, is that there just wasn’t enough action/it wasn’t well distributed throughout the book. I think what Dangerous Remedy did really well was keeping the action co ...more
Gabriela Pop
May 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
rtc
Amber
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
WHAT THE HELL OH MY GODDDD
Nicole Sweeney
Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Monstrous Design is the second instalment in Kat Dunn’s thrilling Battalion of the Dead series. The story picks up right after the events of Dangerous Remedy. We follow Camille and Al as they attempt to get Olympe back and we follow Ada and Guil as they attempt to find where the Duc is hiding out. As the stakes get higher alliances are soon called into question – but will the battalion of the dead be able to survive their latest adventure?

Dangerous Remedy was one of my favourite books of 2020. I
Sifa Poulton
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the publishers as part of the blog tour in exchange for an honest review. It has not affected my opinions.

An action packed sequel, MONSTROUS DESIGN plunges back into the world of the Terror as the Battalion of the Dead are divided by the English Channel.

We get a new POV in this entry, James - Camille's fiancé and betrayer. He was quite an enigma in the first book, which was necessary to ensure his motives were uncertain, but now it's nice to see into his mind and understan
Librow0rm  Christine
Apr 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-april
Thank you Head of Zeus and NetGalley for providing me with an e-arc of Monstrous Design in exchange for an honest review.

Monstrous Design follows immediately on from the closing events of Dangerous Remedy. Camille is separated from Ada, and with Al are determined to find Olympe and her kidnapper.

Of course Camille has a plan, but it’s dangerous at best and foolhardy at worst, but time is running out and they soon find themselves amidst the world of English gentility, having to manoeuvre their wa
Kate (Feathered Turtle Press)
UK date
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So, Dangerous Remedy was one of my favourite books of last year (though actually I think I read it in 2019 so one of my faves of both years). And second books are like notoriously difficult beasts, so I was really curious to see how Kat Dunn would up the stakes, change the game and bring the Battalion back.⁠

And I'm pleased to say that ummm lads this slaps. A duel at dawn? A fake wedding? A resurrection? A sinister hedge maze??? This was great.⁠

After the intense ending of Dangerous Remedy (no s
Amy Burt
Jun 05, 2021 rated it really liked it

There are a number of YA heist books out there, heist books are good fun, although what works so well in these books are they invariably involve a group of misfits, a group of people burned and/or shunned and unique who might not be accepted but they have each other. I think this is where the Battalion of the Dead series doesn’t quite hit the mark for me because the group never quite feel like a group. Every character bar Guil, the sweetheart of the group, betrays, lies, works behind th
Katy
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other_2021
Monstrous Design is the sequel to Dangerous Remedy, following the continuing antics of the battalion des morts, who have now been seperated with Camille and Al in England and Ada and Guil remaining in Paris. The first book focuses largely on the french revolution, but this book takes an frankensteinen turn and becomes more of a horror/manhunt for Olympe as many factions all want her for their own purposes.

I liked seeing the characters we know from book one seperate, as I feel like this gives th
yorkshirebooknerd
Monstrous Design picks up directly where Dangerous Remedy left off. Camille and Al are in London to get Olympe back from James, whereas Ada and Guil are in Paris observing the Duc. The Battalion are torn apart like never before. Battered, bruised and desperately trying to cope with their own grief and losses, there is no time to mourn, as everything is under threat.

Although I enjoyed Monstrous Design is didn’t quite meet my high expectations after Dangerous Remedy. The gang are just as brillian
Lauren
May 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, queer
Wow, this was a rollercoaster of twist and turns for sure.

This definetly has that "middle book" problem at times (we're essential setting up for the third and final? book) but that set up for the ending - how could you leave me like that?

I had a love/hate relationship with Camille in the first book but it's now just all love - she's an absolute genius and willing to do anything to do the right thing. I've always love Ada (and still ship them madly).

The action isn't distributed too well through
Terence Eden
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the fast-paced sequel to Dangerous Remedy (Battalion of the Dead, Book 1).

We pick up mere minutes after the previous book, on a madcap dash to London. The revolution continues in France, and our heroes are scattered to the winds. Death! Intrigue! Electromagnetism!

It is an enjoyable, and tangled tale, deftly making use of the multiple locations and the fear which attracts people to each other. At its heart is a story about love, betrayal, and class envy. When you trust someone – with your
endeavoursofvic
Monstrous Design: 4.5 Stars
[7.63 - Amazing!]

Found Family, queer, love, betrayal, heists, danger, death, electric magic, revolution, political intrigue, selfhatred, 3 povs, france, england, reunions, redemption, pain

I adore this series with all my heart. Cannot wait for the final book to come out.
I am a character driven reader and all the characters in this series have stolen my heart - in addition it also has a compelling plot and great storytelling. incredible.

Can I just say that when I finis
Kate Keaveny
Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The second in this trilogy sees the Battalion of the Dead separated. Ada and Guil remain in an unsettled Paris in which the revolution looks set to collapse. At the same time Cam and Al have travelled to England in search of Olyampe.
The story in England with Camille and Al plunged back into life with aristocracy shows the stark contrast between their previous life in France. Ada has also returned to her father and is attempting to find out more about the Duc’s plans. This leads to her making so
Colleen
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
With thanks to Head of Zeus and Kat Dun for an Advanced Readers Copy of this book.

4 1/2*

I gave the first in the trilogy 3*, this instalment is a wonderfully welcome step up. Now i can't wait for the concluding book.

In Monstrous Design the Battalion of the Dead are separated. Ada and Guil remain in an unsettled Paris in which the revolution looks set to collapse. At the same time Cam and Al have travelled to England in search of Olyampe. This gives us a very well executed multi POV story tellin
Shannon
Apr 23, 2021 rated it liked it
The French Revolution! We are back, The Battalion of the Dead are split in two. James has taken Olympe to England with Al and Camille in hot pursuit while Ada and Guil are left at home to keep peepers on the dastartedly duc.
This was a fairly enjoyable romp, there’s not a great deal of politics or history, the revolution itself is very much background noise to what’s happening with Olympe the electric girl. I liked James’ journey in this book, I felt he was probably the most authentic 19 year ol
Sarah Underwood
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved Dangerous Remedy, and came into the sequel with incredibly high hopes. Kat blew all of them out of the water with Monstrous Design; somehow, I liked it even more than the first book.
The pacing is impeccable, the characters even more complex and frustrating and sympathetic than they were before. So so excited for the finale and outraged that I'll have to wait an entire year for it!
Rachael Mills
May 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced and exciting sequel to Dangerous Remedy. Review to come as part of the blog tour. ...more
Beth Knight
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely outstanding follow up to the equally incredible debut Monstrous Design will have you gripped as you follow the twists turns heartaches and betrayals of Le battalion des Morts.

Honestly, I didn't think I could love this series more but I do.
Kate
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The perfect follow up to Dangerous Remedy!!! I can't wait for the final book! ...more
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Review to come. I just need to gather my thoughts. My initial thought is that the characters’ decisions made no sense
Dan Bassett
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Divided hearts play deadly games.
1794, London.
Camille and Al are hunting for Olympe after she was kidnapped right from under their noses...
From the glittering decadence and excesses of the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens to the city’s unsightly, grotty and deprived underbelly, they become entwined into the deadliest game they have ever had to play as around every corner there are lies, deceit, the gambling of lives, and monsters that cannot stay in the shadows forever....
A new nemesis emerges with pla
Piper
May 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Wow all I can say is wow this is an amazing book. This book was an extremely soild read and flown real well. Setting at the French revolution was just as amazing as her first book. This book follows on from previous events.
AntiCharles008
Apr 27, 2021
Charles
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2021

• The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)
  • Mrs England
  • For the Wolf (Wilderwood, #1)
  • The Wolf Den
  • Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)
  • Circus of Wonders
  • The Midnight Bargain
  • Madame Burova
  • Perfect on Paper
  • This Poison Heart (The Poison Heart, #1)
  • As Far As You'll Take Me
  • The Cancer Ladies' Running Club
  • Gearbreakers (Gearbreakers, #1)
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Far From You
  • A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
  • Good Data: An Optimist's Guide to Our Digital Future
  • What White People Can Do Next: From Allyship to Coalition
See top shelves…
Kat Dunn grew up in London and has lived in Japan, Australia and France.

She has a BA in Japanese from SOAS and an MA in English from Warwick. She’s written about mental health for Mind and The Guardian, and worked as a translator for Japanese television.

Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Mslexia Novel Competition, and Dangerous Remedy is her first novel.

Battalion of the Dead (2 books)
  • Dangerous Remedy (Battalion of the Dead, #1)