Start by marking “Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club, #117)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club, #117)

Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club #117)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  500 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Getting to know new kids and their families is one of the best parts of baby-sitting. So when Claudia goes to sit for the Nicholls kids, she's excited. Only something's not quite right at the Nicholls house. Joey and Nate are sweet, but they don't seem very happy. In fact, they seem. . .scared. Of their own father. Claudia thinks he's hurting them. But saying or doing the ...more
Published March 1st 1998 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Terrible Truth, please sign up.

Brooke no I belive all the BSC books aren't. But if you are looking for a definite answer I would look it up.

Logan Hughes
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babysitters-club
Claudia begins sitting for the new kids in town, Joey and Nate Nicholls. They’re sweet kids, but their father is creepy. He’s all charm with Claudia, but he yells at the boys and calls them names. The boys seem overly nervous, freaking out about spills and expecting Claudia to pitch a fit about minor infractions, like getting a tiny tear in her book. Claudia can’t convince them to relax and, after she sees the way their dad yells, she figures they know best. One day, Mr. Nicholls comes home in a ...more
Kimberly
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bsc
This book was amazing, and I wish I had read it back in the day.
M Strawberry Reviews
I remember being touched by this book because the BSC has never encountered this kind of thing before. Yes, there was the share of imperfect parents, but when Claudia babysits for a pair of boys, she notices oddities in their behavior, such as being too polite and fearful. This book shows you what to look for in some signs of abuse, so it gives kids a lesson in spotting abuse without being graphic like more adult books or movies would be. Overall a really good book, the BSC series is good for te ...more
Nancy
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Very Special Episode book in which domestic violence is addressed in a lame way. The best part is Mr. Nichols calling Caludia and screaming, "Give me back my wife!" This is one of the few times the Cult doesn't go head first into a problem and actually asks an adult for help. As well they should have.
Kristina
A pretty realistic book with a serious tone for a BSC book!
Brooke
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love BSC books! I haven't picked one up in awhile and I am glad I did, :D
Alice Massacre
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
made me cry...
Ciara
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
i think this book takes the prize for the most special of the very special episode babysitters club books. when the addisons moved away in abby & the best kid ever, the nicholls family moved into their place. there was some foreshadowing in the abby book about mr. nicholls being a little bit gruff & uptight & having a lot of rules. the addisons recommended the babysitters club to the nichollses, should they even need a babysitter for their sons (joey & nate, ages five & seven ...more
Hezekiah
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is extremely intense and gripping in comparison to other BSC books in the series. I had to stop several times to emotionally process it. Abuse is very well researched and described in an age-appropriate way that still presents it with nuance. I didn't feel like this book was preachy or contrived at all.
Kerri
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
🍕

This book was a good one but at the end Mr. Nicholls wasn't arrested which I think would have made a more exciting ending. Another thing would be if Mr. Nicholls had chased them to Stampford but they got away! Reviews always by Daphne
star_fire13
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I was planning on reading these books in order. At least, as much as I could. But when I found this in the used bookstore the other day, I couldn't help but start reading it on the bus ride home. I totally devoured it.

I only read it once before (I borrowed it from a friend who had THE ENTIRE FREAKING SERIES OMG), but I remember really liking it. I still look back fondly on it. I tend to really like the SERIOUS ISSUES books in the series.

So in this one, Claudia gets new charges who she t
April
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
David
Apr 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Claudia, a member of the baby sitters club, was baby sitting a brand new family, Nicholls. The kids she was baby sitting were very obedient, one trait that was rare in all the other kids. Claudia was suspicious and decided to come earlier next time. She heard a loud slap and it was the father. he was performing child abuse to his children. Claudia told her mom and the cops were called. The problem was settled when the father went to a help institution and the kids went to live with their aunt.
Jenny
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Stupid. No one thinks to call the cops or CPS. Instead Claudia's barely functioning mother saves the day. It's good that the bsc covered this issue but it was handled horribly. Ann Martin is an idiot.
Dana Salman
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
'Shudder'. I'm not really a fan of child abuse stories, like that thing called A Child Called It. Haven't read that, but the title alone sends shivers down my spine. I am fervantly glad my parents love me
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, bsc
This one was pretty well done, I thought. For once the drama is actually something serious - new clients have an abusive father. All done very simply of course, but nonetheless done quite well for the age bracket.
Maria Elmvang
I'm giving this 5 stars because Ann M. Martin took a very difficult topic and handled it well. It's always risky to tackle heavy topics because you have to do it well, or it's better not to do it at all. Here she managed to give an age-appropriate solution to a dangerous situation. Well done.
Amy Holcomb
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Carley Adair
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann m Martin wrote this very well

This book was very sad but ended happy. Ann m Martin wrote this very well and sensitively .it was one of the more serious babysitter club books .
Ali Afsahi
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louisiana greengrove Amazing book

This book really interested me when I saw it's summary. When I bought it and read it The story was amazing
I think many people should read this
Joy Wills
rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2014
Lara
Jan 11, 2009
  • Garfield Blots Out the Sun (Garfield #43)
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts (Weird But True, #1)
  • Stay Away From the Treehouse (Ghosts of Fear Street, #5)
  • The Mystery Bookstore (The Boxcar Children, #48)
  • Between the Sheets
  • The Hidden Beast (Spooksville, #12)
  • Sinister Paradise (Nancy Drew: Files, #23)
  • Sneaking In (Sweet Valley University, #42)
  • The Billion Dollar Ransom (Hardy Boys, #73)
  • The Scarlet Spy
  • The Taming
  • George Washington: Our First Leader
  • Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again
  • Science: A Discovery in Comics
  • The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 2: 1910-1921
  • The Wizard's Castle (Circle of Magic # 5)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)