Start by marking “The Wisdom of Blood (Nocturnus, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wisdom of Blood (Nocturnus, #1)

The Wisdom of Blood

(Nocturnus #1)

The gaslit gothic atmosphere of a Victorian penny dreadful meets the dangerous romance of Hades and Persephone in A.G. Howard’s newest lush adult vampire fantasy fraught with passion, horror, and mystery.

In 1832 England, to fall from the peerage is the kiss of death. Yet penniless Mordecai Dureance still has a life worth living: an honest vocation and a humble cottage wher
Published February 14th 2021 by Golden Orb Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Blood, please sign up.
Ash It says that it's book one of the Nocturnus series, but it doesn't have a sequel on GR yet. That being said, there probably will be a sequel it just h…moreIt says that it's book one of the Nocturnus series, but it doesn't have a sequel on GR yet. That being said, there probably will be a sequel it just hasn't been updated since this just came out last year. :)(less)

Start your review of The Wisdom of Blood (Nocturnus, #1)
Candace Robinson
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Howard’s writing so much, and she did not disappoint! This story put an original spin on what we know about vampires. And the swoon was so well written! I also loved that the POVs in this so we could get in both characters’ heads! I seriously didn’t want this one to end!
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Oct 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
I NEED IT!

Spoiler: I would read AG Howard’s grocery list.
Donna
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Ok, THIS IS DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE READ SO FAR THIS YEAR!!!!

I’m head over heals in love with A.G. Howard’s writing. This woman is one of my favorites!! Not to mention what she writes about!!

This book is so unique. It’s take on vampires, the lore where they originated, not to mention the in between stages of human to vampirism, is so original and so intriguing.

The prose was so exquisite and stunning, that I just wanted to drown in it. The gothic atmosphere was mysterious, old castles with secret
Brooke
Apr 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2022, fantasy-romance
If you're craving a lush, atmospheric, Gothic, sexy vampire story with Stunning writing - this is it. ...more
Elle Beaumont
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My least favorite thing about AG Howard's writing is that it ENDS... I wish it could continue on and on.

An atmospheric, seductive read. I loved the characters, their complexities and how everyone was woven together, too. I hope to read a sequel in this world! Definitely recommend to those looking for a unique gothic vampire read.
Kourtney
I thoroughly enjoyed this book (as I do with all of A.G. Howard's books). I can't wait for the next book!

The worldbuilding was really interesting. These vampires borrowed enough from other vampire lore without being a cookie-cutter replica of what we have seen with most contemporary vampire novels. The different types of vampires in this were quite cool, with their own strengths and weaknesses that were used quite well throughout the story.

There were enough breadcrumbs sprinkled in to make you g
Wendy
Jul 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal-adult
Wow. First I'll say that the book cover, to me, doesn't capture the feel of the book. The imagery, intensity and complexity of the story is just delicious. ...more
Leslie
Oct 31, 2022 rated it it was amazing
It's the year 1832 in England and Mordecai Durance, a penniless gardener, has just wed the love of his life Lynora. Their love for each other has overcome the vast difference in their class stations leaving Moredcai with the hope that himself, his little brother Isaac, and Lynora can live their lives in peace as a happy family.
On the eve of his wedding night though, Mordecai is given a chance to join an elite society that promises him wealth and status that could be utilized to raise his family'
Ryann
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished The Wisdom of Blood this morning, and it was so good! It definitely gave me my vampire fix that I have been looking for as well, because honestly after Twilight I really haven't found a vampire book that I just enjoy. Mordecai and Lynora were so much fun to read, and I enjoyed that there wasn't this build up to them falling in love and getting married, because they already were, but the path that they are on forced them to learn how to be together again. I think this was a good i ...more
Mena Walker
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely adding this to my "Want to Read" pile. I love the cover! ...more
afternoonsunjeans
me: bite me

this book: is this a challenge

me:

me: blushes furiously in gay
QueenOfTheFaeBaes
Oct 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

I will admit. It was a slow start. But it does pick up and once it does its really good!

I loved that "Love Conquers All" is a theme in this book. I was scared at first it wouldnt and had to check to see if it would because I just read a not HEA and I was not prepared for another.

The plot also comes together so nicely.

"One doesn't have to be human to have humanity" Is also truly the best quote.
Bethany Crandell
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crit partner perks allowed me an early read of this book and...OMG. It's been a couple months since I finished and I still feel deliciously woozy. This story is intoxicating! Beautiful, vivid descriptions; decadent prose; SEXY love scenes; masterfully-crafted, well-rounded characters, and SO much girl-power action!! The fight scenes in this book are amazing! This book truly has everything!! ...more
Misty Handa
Aug 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love the new take on the traditional vampire. It was a fresh look on what vampires are and how they came to be and to love
Catherine
Apr 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Howard's writing is a beautifully purple as always and perfectly suits a gothic vampire romance. That being said, reading this was a bit of a struggle for me. I wasn't attached to any of the characters, and the romance didn't click with me. I'm usually more invested in the journey of characters falling in love--which is possibly why I enjoy the enemies-to-lovers trope so much--rather than the tribulations of an already established couple. All of this is my own personal preference, so I'd definit ...more
aqsa
Jun 08, 2022 marked it as to-read
OMG. finally some sexy adult fantasy romance w vampires 👁👁 ag howard moving outta YA thank you god 👏 if mordecai is anything like morpheus or even sexier yk i’m gonna be stanning like my life depends on it
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
Rtc
Brittany
Mar 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I was really looking forward to another one of A.G. Howard's gothic tales especially since this one has vampires! And I love me a good vampire story. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get into this tale. But this book was not bad! The writing is beautiful as usual, but I felt a disconnect from the character's Mordecai and Lynora. I found Lynora to be dramatic from the beginning and that didn't sit well with me. Especially, how she treated her own husband after he came back for her after practical ...more
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 18, 2022 rated it it was ok
Set in 1816 Tatabury England Howard blends Regency with gothic style fantasy.
Nineteen year old Lenora is abandoned by Mordecai on the eve of their wedding night.

The story has gaps, and reads like it is part of a larger plot.

Howard seems to draw inspiration from the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice.
Theresa
Jul 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this different version of a vampire story. Worth reading. It had romanse and suspense built into story. The only negative thing I can say is that the author kept using the word, translating instead of transform in several instances.
Shawna

• The Phantom of the Opera
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Diary of a Young Girl
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert, #1)
  • The Rogue King (Inferno Rising, #1)
  • The Blood King (Inferno Rising, #2)
  • White Bishop (Vampire Court #7)
  • Black Bishop (Vampire Court #8)
  • Black King (Vampire Court #10)
  • White Queen (Vampire Court #9)
  • Checkmate (Vampire Court #11)
  • Black Knight (Vampire Court #6)
  • Kingdom of Broken Iron (Black Dawn #3)
  • Hidden Desire (Hidden Saga #6)
  • Creature of Habit: Book Two (Creature of Habit, #2)
  • Creature of Habit: Book Three (Creature of Habit, #3)
  • Creature of Habit (Creature of Habit, #1-3)
See top shelves…
#1 New York Times and International bestselling Author of gothic / fantasy & paranormal tales, mystical & romantic with a side of horror. A.G.'s dark Alice in Wonderland inspired Splintered series has been published in over a dozen languages.

Young adult, Adult, and literary romance. Repped by Jenny Bent.

How A.G. Howard rates books on GoodReads:

"I only rate or review books I enjoyed reading, and w