Start by marking “It Had to be Mason (Beachbreak High #1)” as Want to Read:
It Had to be Mason (Beachbreak High #1)

It Had to be Mason

(Beachbreak High #1)

Ask your brother’s best friend nicely, and he’ll teach you how to date. He might even teach you how to kiss…

Zoe Walsh is the most awkward girl in Beachbreak High. For years, she’s admired her crush from afar, but she’s NEVER talked to him. What would she even say? She doesn’t know the first thing about boys, or dating. The only thing she really knows is dancing.

Mason McCle
Published October 25th 2020 by Eleventh Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about It Had to be Mason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Had to be Mason

Start your review of It Had to be Mason (Beachbreak High #1)
Dora Koutsoukou
3,5 💖💖💖🌟s❣️

Such a sweet and wonderful teenager romance read!!!

Mason and Zoe were loveable and adorable characters, and their story was wonderful.

Although it was very well written and interesting, I just was not the appropriate target group for it, since I am not a teenager any more... 😉
Audrianna Atkinson
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the 4th book that I have read by Emily! She has never disappointed me. I absolutely love a good, cute, feel good high school romance book. I love how Zoe and Mason realize how special they each are. Not only together but apart. I feel that Zoe in the end found out that she wasn’t just average she was something special. Mason now feels like he is the luckiest boy (man) in the world to not only be with Zoe but to find himself within her love. I am excited to read the next book in this ...more
Hannah
3.5 Stars
An enjoyable, easy, and quick read with a few laugh out loud moments. I enjoyed the way Zoe and Mason interacted and the progression of their relationship.
Alice Bradfield
Jul 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
Waste of time really
haley
May 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
this was cute
kkayleecarr
Nov 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
definitely cheesy at some parts, but a short and sweet read
Anila Giang
Jan 15, 2022 rated it liked it
I’m usually not a fan of the brother’s best friend trope because it is almost always a forbidden romance which I hate. But thankfully that wasn’t the case with this book. Zoe’s brother, Tyler, and the hero Mason were super respectful of each other. They both wanted the best for Zoe and understood that it would be up to her who she ended up with, which I just loved.

I also really liked the whole dance competition at Homecoming. I’m from Montreal and we only get one prom in our last year of high sc
yesenia (Caligirlheartsbooks)
Was able to read this a few days ago as part of the ARC group, Wow what a sweet High school romance novel (Brother’s BestFriend). Mason is Zoe’s older Brother’s bestfriend. Watching their love story unfold was so sweet. From knowing each other their whole childhood, to helping each other with their crushes, to eventually admitting they are in love 😍💕There is just something so nostalgic that these High-school YA stories bring! If you love sweet YA romances like me Give it a shot!
Tiffany
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Sweet, clean YA read. Some of the language was off—calling grades marks didn’t feel Californian to me and Zoe kept saying Mason and I when it should have been Mason and me, but I tend to let things slide when it can be justified as the teenagers voice rather than the authors lack of grammatical knowledge.
Vedika Sheth
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Romance: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Writing: ✏️✏️✏️✏️✏️

This story follows Mason and Zoe. Mason is the all-star quarterback who gets every girl he wants. But now he has a challenge. The captain of the dance team wants someone who can dance as her date to the homecoming dance. Zoe is socially awkward but smart. She always looks from afar but now she wants to become friends with her crush. Sadly, she is socially awkward and would probably botch it all up. That’s where Mason comes in. Zoe decides t
Turn The Page Mama
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a good sweet romance and Emily Lowry does not disappoint. I read the 2nd book in this series a few months ago and decided to back track to the first, It had to be Mason.
Zoe and Mason are super cute together from their first interactions together at the beach you can tell that even though he is her brother's best friend that they have a strong friendship too. I love how they end up helping each other her with him dancing and him with his "school of dating". Mason is super
Kassandra Blake
It was first the title of the book that intrigued me and then the summary made me want to read it.

The main theme is regularly used in books (the brother's best friend) but for the moment, I don't feel tired because I don't read them often.

The characters are fun to follow. I have a preference for Zoe because I find her character a little more in-depth than Mason.

The story is beautiful, without headach, reads easily and has done me a lot of good in this troubled period.

I plan to follow this se
Kayleigh
32 year old woman here 🙋‍♀️
I love reading such a mixture of fiction and I’m not ashamed to say that includes YA books based in high school setting.
Having just read a heavy dark bully story I was looking for something light and entertaining and ‘It had to be Mason’ did not disappoint. In fact I’m sooo incredibly happy to have read this sweet love story. How could you not fall in love with the characters, especially the super swoony Mason 😍 seriously where we’re these boys in my high school?!

I ha
Anna Osseweijer
Jul 22, 2022 rated it liked it
“A recording of Mason’s voice filled the treehouse. “What? How long does it record? Only fifteen seconds? Wait it started — oh no — Zoo! I picked this little guy up for you as a congrats for getting your first date. And a thank you for everything, I—”
Emily Lowry, It Had to be Mason

The book was written from two different perspectives. This was amazing, because you got to know the point of view from both the main characters, but the thing that I didn't always like about it was that I thought th
Persephone Full
Apr 30, 2021 rated it liked it
Teen stuff. This is just one of those girl-fall-for-brother-bestfriend kind of stories that make u wonder why u bother reading but u read through anyway. Its a kind of book that u wont be proud getting caught reading but heck u still wanna read nonetheless.

Its a kind of book i like when im laden and bored with d heavy stuff. Whenever i wanna take a break from life's drama, I grab a chicklit. Its like a breather to me.

I dont particularly like this book but i like how relaxed i was while reading
KiwiK
Sep 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
10 tons of sugar!

So super duper sweet, I'm pretty sure I died.

Mason. Oh lawd. I wanted to wrap him in a blanket and bring that sweet guy home. Then I remembered one, he's much too young for me and then there's that whole he's in a book and not real thing.

The unfolding relationship between Zoo and Space Face was made of the sweetest of sweet moments wrapped in sweet, with more sweet drizzled on top.

There's a lot of dancing and laughing and identifying important and big feelings for these two. Th
Franki
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mason and Zoe are an unlikely pair, the extroverted quarterback who pretends to be a dumb jock and the shy introverted girl who sees herself as awkward and plain, despite being a graceful dancer. Since he’s her brother’s best friend, they have been thrown together for years, never really taking the time to see each other. When they make a plan to help each other out, things change.
This story is so cute filled with moments that could only be found in a book, but yet still bring out the starry ey
Danielle
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of It had to be Mason.
Like every book from Emily I was hooked from the first page. Zoe wants to learn how to date so she can go a date with a boy she's interested in. Zoe turns to popular all star quarterback and her brother best friend Mason. Mason agress to help her learn how to date. If she'll learn him how to Dance in order to get a date to homecoming with the captain of the dance team. Will they both realise that while they were both looking for love they were both l
Emma
Feb 23, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-romance
I honestly LOVED this book, but man did I get frustrated at the characters in the middle of the story! I'm not going to spoil anything, but you'll know what I mean by this after you read the book. I would definitely suggest this book if you like the slow-burn friends to lovers trope. I adore stories with men written by women in them, and this is a perfect example of that. Mason is such a sweet guy that you may get a fictional crush by reading this. I rarely rate books a full 5 stars, so that jus ...more
Jane
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksprout-arcs
I love this author's books and this one definitely lived up to all her other ones. It had your sweet and cliché romance and was totally clean and adorable. The characters were awesome and relatable as teenagers and had great dialogue that was hilarious. I liked how the characters seed to grow throughout the story and it was so easy to fall in love with them. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a hilarious YA romance with great characters and dialogue. ...more
Bally
Jan 17, 2021 rated it liked it
Ok, I guess?

Nothing bad about it, just not very good. Characters were cute. It was predictable, but with this kind of book you expect it to be. The transition from friends to liking each other was expected but also weirdly sudden. It didn’t really build. I did like that the brother was a decent person. So often in stories like this the brother is an awful sexist windbag who you want to punch.
A.L. Hoppa
Jun 17, 2021 rated it liked it
Super Cute!

Zoe and Mason are friends turned high school sweethearts in this cute read! For a brute high school quarterback, Mason is a huge teddy bear with an even bigger heart which was refreshing when paired with a character like Zoe who lacks confidence when it comes to boys. The characters were relatable and overall the story was well written. I’d definitely read more by this author.
Travis Peak
Nov 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Easy read

This was a very light story. It lacked any kind of depth or originality. The story has been recycled so many times, but that's probably because it is an entertaining story. The only real problem with the book is it felt incredibly rushed. Every chapter is barely more than a couple pages and it ends out of nowhere. If the author had taken the time to flesh out the book some it would have been better.
Maja
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story about Mason and Zoe is the first in the new series. I absolutely loved the dual, first person point of view of the story, because this is a deal breaker for me.
This author is fast becoming my go to author to read, she hasn't disappointed me yet and this story was no different.

Melissa
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksprout
A YA read that's sweet and adorable set in a clean romance. Zoe is socially awkward and a dancer, Mason is her brother's best friend, popular, and starting quarterback.

Katie MacDonald
Apr 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Johanna Montilla
Aug 16, 2021 rated it did not like it
DNF: 35%
I was looking for something light and cute… This is not.
There is so much wrong with this book, but I’m just going to mention that we are beyond of using words like “too girly” as something a main character would be ashamed and there is a clear line between jokes and bullying… and it’s obviously important not to mix them.
Mesh
Oct 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of YA romances and this is one of the very few I can say was nearly perfect. I LOVED Mason and Zoe were perfect for each other and both their perspectives were adorable. They were cute, clean, and left you seriously wondering if Zoe's brother has something coming up... :) Nothing to say on the negative side. Please read. ...more
Rachel
Dec 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you loved TATB and BETTER THAN THE MOVIES, read it. Nothing gets me more than a YA romance that stars one heck of a swoony male lead! Plus, it’s a simple story that focuses on Zoe and Mason’s blossoming young love. There are no serious themes or drama that complicate the plot, and it just hit the spot for me.
abi
Aug 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
4.5– loved this book and how sweet Zoe and Mason were together!

also loved how mason took into account things zoe liked to do and things that were important/memorable when planning practice (or are they?) dates! he just seemed so sweet and also loved how supportive zoe’s brother, tyler, was!

it seems that the next book is set up really well as well!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Summer I Fell for My Best Friend (Legacy Inn #1)
  • Just One Kiss (The First Loves #1)
  • Wallflower
  • The Summer I Fell for My Fake Boyfriend (Legacy Inn #2)
  • Only One Boy (The First Loves #2)
  • Dare You to Fall for the Catcher (Rock Valley High #3)
  • My After-School Tutor (Sweet Mountain High: Year Two, #1)
  • Fauxmance
  • The Tomboy & the Movie Star (Jackson High #3)
  • Bad Boys Don’t Fall For Shy Girls (Invisible Girls Club, #3)
  • What Are Friends For?
  • Kissing the Boy Next Door (Sweet Water High, #3)
  • Hate Notes (Lakeview Prep #1)
  • My Totally Off-Limits Best Friend (Sweet Mountain High: Year Two #2)
  • Quarterbacks Don’t Fall For Invisible Girls (Invisible Girls Club, #1)
  • Fight Like a Tomboy
  • Teaching the Teacher's Pet
  • The Good Girl & the Bad Boy (Jackson High, #2)
Emily Lowry is true romantic. She’s a huge fan of happily ever afters, witty, fun characters and fast-paced sweet romances.

Emily writes from her home in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, and in her spare time, she enjoys hiking with her dog, baking cakes and paddleboarding.

Discover Emily Lowry’s first series, Rumors and Lies at Evermore High, for perfect sweet romance reads filled with gossip, high sc

Beachbreak High (4 books)
  • It Could Only Be Tyler (Beachbreak High #2)
  • It Was Always Jace (Beachbreak High #3)
  • It Was Still Asher (Beachbreak High #4)