Start by marking “The Highland Fling” as Want to Read:
The Highland Fling

The Highland Fling

In this steamy tale by USA Today bestselling author Meghan Quinn, an American searching for her purpose escapes to a Scottish town but finds more questions than answers when she meets a brooding yet handsome handyman.

Freshly fired from her third job in a row, Bonnie St. James has lost her way. So when she and her best friend stumble upon a “help wanted” post to run a coffe
Paperback, 1st edition, 350 pages
Published August 24th 2021 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about The Highland Fling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highland Fling

Start your review of The Highland Fling
Christy
Aug 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Scotland is a country that’s always been on my bucket list, so this was a lot of fun for me to read! It had the best small town vibes and I enjoyed the grumpy hero and Meghan Quinn’s signature humor a ton.

Bonnie and her best friend Dakota decide to leave LA for a while and go to run a small coffee shop in Scotland for a few month. Bonnie especially needs some time away, to find herself and her purpose. She’s expects to spend some time with her best friend, sight see, and have fun runnin
Amy | Foxy Blogs
WHO DOESN’T LOVE A HOT SCOTSMAN?!

Imagine taking a 6 month trip to Scotland with your best friend. That's exactly what Bonnie and Dakota did. The only catch is they will be working for an older couple who are taking an extended vacation and need someone to run their coffee shop. Bonnie’s best friend, Dakota found this deal and the two knew they needed a reset button on their lives.

Leaving behind their busy lives in Los Angeles to live in a small quiet town in Scotland was a culture shock especi
TJ *Book Twins Reviews*
A great travel romance read (listen)!

If you’re in the mood for a quirky kilt loving heroine and a sexy, yet touching romance check this one out. I’m a big fan of this author, so this was a no brainer for me.

Here’s what you get:
Two friends traveling abroad who gain more than just an adventure.
A quirky and sometimes ridiculous heroine (said with love and affection) who says the darndest things.
Slowburn but spicy!
Great emotional moments! I was just as caught up in the secondary love story as I w
Ms reads a lot
Sep 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute!

I really enjoyed this! I’m a sucker for anything to do with Scotland, so this book was perfect. It was hilarious to the point where I couldn’t read it in public because I would laugh like a loon and people would give me the stink eye. The love story between Bonnie and Rowan was really cute. I love the whole enemies to lovers trope. I would highly recommend this if you’re in the mood for a light and fun read!
Rachel | What’s Rachel Reading
*adds Scotland to bucket list*

The Highland Fling is the perfect rom-com. Broody hero. Excellent banter. Slow burn. Interesting side characters. I truly loved this book.

The Highland Fling follows Bonnie and her best friend, Dakota as they travel to Scotland to find themselves while working at coffee shop in a small town. Bonnie meets Rowan, a local who helps Bonnie and Dakota at his parents’ coffee shop. The relationship development between Bonnie and Rowan is slow and organic. Their banter is h
Bec (booktineus)
First half:

Second half:
Antonella

his parents left their business which is very important to them to strangers to take care of instead of their son

+ point fo that one joke at the beginning for making me laugh
+ point for accurate representation of small-town community and tourist coming in

Michele McMullen
Oh my heavens sign me up for a Scottish holibag. This was such a fun adventure with Bonnie and Dakota, two gals that need a change of pace and scenery. When two friends become disgusted with their humdrum life in the states Dakota takes the ad she sees in the paper to heart. She decides for both of them to apply for a six month stint in Scotland. How hard can it be to run a coffee shop in a small town, drive on the wrong side of the road and learn to understand and navigate the dialect and also ...more
Mindy Lou's Book Review
My favorite part is that this is set in a small town in Scotland. It was so well described I felt like I was there. Also the great thing about small town romances is the many side characters you get.

I thought this was a very cute story. I liked all the characters and the slightly enemies-to-lovers trope. It wasn't overdone and it was mostly funny.

Bonnie was slightly crazy and maybe a bit immature, but I still liked her and she was a big reason I laughed a lot in this book.

Rowan was majorly gru
Rox
Sep 04, 2021 rated it liked it
An okay, fast paced enemies-to-lover(-ish) romance to get you to daydream about Scottish countryside

Why the 3 stars:
1) although funny, it was the type that got annoying pretty fast since it kept repeating itself;

2) a LOT of telling and not showing;

3) the characters feel too shallow;

4) heroine gave me a headache with how QuIRky she was being. Like girl, we get it! Chill, please!!

5) this is a me thing, but I really hate when there’s family drama (rightfully so) but we are encouraged to forgive an
Mizz Latte
Sep 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: annoying-heroine
This was trying too hard to be a comedy:
Forced jokes
Blathering heroine
Trying to break the 4th wall

It was more annoying than funny
Shelby
After losing her job, getting dumped & evicted, Bonnie feels lost in life. Her best friend, Dakota, stumbles upon an opportunity abroad—2 people needed to man a coffee shop in a small Scottish town for 6 months. Sounds crazy, but just crazy enough for Bonnie & Dakota to jump on the opportunity. The owners of the coffee shop are leaving for several months and tell the girls that their son, Rowan, will be overseeing things while they’re away.

Rowan & Bonnie immediately dislike one another. Rowan i
Syndi
Sep 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Reading The Highland Fling makes me want to go to vacation to Ireland and hopefully meeting a very grumpy handsome handyman. That would be a delicious fantasy considering living in the pandemic era.

Aside from Ireland, I found this book OK. Not much to be expected from Miss Quinn aside from her signature humor. The plot feels flat for me. Not so much adding bonus on the plot.

OK read.

3 stars
Nyah ☾
Aug 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Because of this book I spent an hour trying to practice my Scottish accent, i think it’s perfect if i do say so myself.

Overall an anticipated read that ended up being very underwhelming a lot of dramatics and Bonnie was slightly annoying throughout the entirety of the book. I had to pause a bunch just to assess what the fuck i’m reading.

BUT if you did enjoy this it really reminded me of It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey
Angelica
Sep 11, 2021 rated it liked it
This was... ok.
Ambriehl Khalil
Maybe it’s because I’ve read so many subpar books lately that this was a breath of fresh air for me, but I loved every minute of this. I had so much fun reading it and from what I’ve read from Meghan Quinn so far, this one is my favourite.
Amanda (Romance Reviewed)
Jun 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2021
(ARC Review) I mostly enjoyed this book by the end, but the beginning was rough for me. If I were just rating the first half it would get two stars, but then the end gets at least four.

The beginning was hard for me to read, if I hadn’t received an ARC I would have stopped reading during the first chapter. I can’t remember the last time I disliked a character so quickly and completely as Bonnie. She’s over the top, immature, and acts like Scotland is from the middle ages.

She felt like a caricatur
Jeeves Reads Romance
Sassy but slow

I can't say that this is one of my favorites from MQ, but it still has plenty of her signature humor - and that made it a pretty fun read. This has got the same "mainstream," toned down feel as The Wedding Game, though The Highland Fling kicks the steam up a notch. I'd ALMOST call it women's fiction at times, because the romance is VERY slow-moving (and ultimately felt like instalove towards the end). It's filled with humor, remaining exceedingly light except for one or two minor s
Claire
Aug 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5 Kilty McGrumpyshire Stars!

Meghan Quinn blows it out of the park again with an absolutely outstanding read, set in the Highlands of Scotland. If you are looking for laugh out loud escapades, screaming goats, hairy coo's, swoony Scottish heroes, and sassy American girls then this one's for you.

"I think you're trouble..."

"...I think you might be right."

Rowan and Bonnie's story had it all and then some in spades. I loved the locale, the secondary characters and the fact that both our leads are
Ari
Sep 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 Stars*!

I went into The Highland Fling laughing my ass off and came out of it a blubbering mess.

description

The audiobook is an absolute experience and I highly recommend giving it a listen.

CW: Death of a sibling, Death of a parent (due to cancer)
Lisa Mandina
This book started out with making me laugh so hard while I was eating in a restaurant that I worried what the people around me were thinking. But that’s really no surprise with a story written by Meghan Quinn. I laughed so hard almost all the way through, well, really all the way through to be honest. Except for a few parts that I was crying because what was happening just really got me. I mean, I totally understood Rowan, although again I think at the bit at the end he was a bit over the top. B ...more
Mia
Aug 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Cute enemies to lovers story that is set in beautiful Scotland.This book was light, fun overall summer read.
Kelly (AndKellyReads)
Aug 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
Okay, so here's the thing. At its core, this book wasn't bad. It was fun, it was whimsical, and it was a solid idea. I loved the premise that two girls looking to kickstart a change in their lives take off to Scotland for six months. It's very Eat, Pray, Love, and I had no issue getting behind any of that.

I also really liked most of the characters. Rowan is one of her best heroes to date, honestly. He's burly, he's grumpy, he's protective, and he's just absolutely charming with a dash of snarky
Love & Lavender Book Review
Oh lordie! I'm packing up for a Scottish holibag. This book gave me all the feels, from the tears, to the giggles, to some serious heat, I LOVED every moment! I've always wondered what it would be like to take a 6 month sabbatical from life and escape to run a coffee shop in a foreign land. Now I know it would be FREAKING FANTASTIC! Dakota and Bonnie are on the run from their disaster of a real life. They've come to a breaking point where a change of pace is necessary. One drunken click later, D ...more
Guylou (Two Dogs and a Book)
Aug 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
A small dog on a fluffy blanket with a book

📚 Hello Book Friends! THE HIGHLAND FLING by Meghan Quinn was just the right amount of everything. I wish I had met a man like Rowan when I was in Scotland. Unfortunately, the handsome men were in hiding when I was there. I enjoyed the plot, the sexual tension, the quick come back, and the passionate discoveries. I did not like Rowan’s reaction when Bonnie discovered his secret. That was over the top and, if this happened to me, there would not have been a relationship afterward. A less intense e
Simply Love Book Reviews

I picked up The Highland Fling because it was set in Scotland and as my 2020 trip to Scotland was cancelled and now rescheduled for 2022, I find myself attracted to books set there. I’ve loved a lot of what Meghan Quinn has written and I enjoyed this one but not as much as others. Lately there seems to be a trend of writing immature “sunshiny” heroines and pairing them with grumpy men and that’s what this book is. That being said, I also felt like the couple in this book got a bit lost
Sarah Louise
This was a delight! Leaving Los Angeles behind, Bonnie and her friend accept a job position in Corsekelly, Scotland for six months to manage an outdated coffee shop.

Not only was Corsekelly a charming setting, but the grumpy-vs-sunshine banter between Bonnie and Rowan—the local repairman and son of the coffee shop owners—was hilarious. Beginning as enemies, I loved seeing them slowly reveal their attraction while completely annoying each other along the way.

I’ll admit that Bonnie was a very obno
Jodi
Jun 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
At this point, if Meghan Quinn writes it, I will read it. The Highland Fling was such a sexy, Scottish delight that I didn’t want to end! This story had me laughing right from the start. I guess you could call this story kind of an enemies to lovers slow burn. Meghan has excelled at writing broody, grumpy men in her stories. This book also includes some entertaining side characters, the twins!... that I couldn’t get enough of.

Bonnie and Rowan have an interesting meet cute right from the start wh
Dana
Aug 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Ms. Quinn has done it again!!! I want to start this review by saying this: I was a little unsure of my feelings for Bonnie; but, as the story progressed, I started to see why she was the way she is.

I have to talk about Rowan now; I adored him!!! His snarky-ness, combined with Bonnie’s wit and her own snarky responses were brilliant! All the supporting characters brought their own feelings/personalities to the story that just enhanced it.

And I’m going to bring out my tear rating, because….I
RateTheRomance
A grumpy Scot makes me hot!

THE HIGHLAND FLING will make you swoon over the epically grumpy Rowan and adore the wonderfully quirky Bonnie! I legit snort-laughed so many times while the Enemies-to-Lovers hate banter was flying between these two.

Both Rowan and Bonnie are fabulously written characters that are likable, but flawed, and grow as the story progresses! Complex characters for the WIN!! And the side characters are also wonderful.

This story is sweet and swoony, hilarious in parts, and als

• When Sparks Fly
  • Hook, Line, and Sinker (Bellinger Sisters, #2)
  • The Dating Dare (A Sweet Mess, #2)
  • What If You & Me (Say Everything, #2)
  • Heartbreak for Hire
  • My Unexpected Family (California Billionaires, #3)
  • King of the Court
  • Spring Fever (Dating Season, #5)
  • Relentless (Mason Family, #4)
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed
  • Hot Under His Collar (The Nolans, #3)
  • The Bet (Winslow Brothers, #1)
  • For Vacation Only
  • Winter Bloom (Dating Season, #4)
  • Love Next Door (Lakeside, #1)
  • One Day Fiance
  • Sweet, Sexy Heart (The Bradens & Montgomerys: Pleasant Hill - Oak Falls #9)
  • Playing with Words (Boggy Creek Valley, #2)
See top shelves…
Like me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/meghanquinna...

When I was in high school I occasionally read books but was consumed by other teenage things so I didn't take the time to appreciate a good book on a cloudy day, wrapped up in a blanket on the couch. It wasn't until I received a Kindle for Christmas one year that my world completely flipped upside down. When looking for books I came across the