Start by marking “Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Path Toward Finding and Mobilizing a Community's Assets” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"Building Communities from the Inside Out" is a new guide to "asset--based community development." Authors John Kretzmann and Jhon Mcknight summarize lessons learned by studying successful community--building initiatives in hundreds of neighborhoods across the United States. The book outlines in simple, "neighborhood--friendly" terms what local communities can do to start ...more
Published July 6th 2006 by ACTA Publications (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Building Communities from the Inside Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Communities from the Inside Out

Lauren
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: volunteers, people who want to do good in the world
I HIGHLY recommend this book to people who work at non-profits or in any sort of community setting. It will absolutely change the way you see things. I am certain my organizing and work is better because of the themes found in this book.
Kate
I am currently leading a project to bring Assets-Based Community Development to our little patch of small-town/rural Vermont. We are using this book as a guide to make it happen. I deeply appreciate the practical, step-by-step approach to community development offered in this manual. I have yet to get our lower income citizens to fill out the eternally long assets assessment. that part of the book isn't particularly practical. I also would have appreciated more information on bringing people of ...more
Nancy
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was so fortunate to meet John McKnight through the People First of Ontario movement and learn at his feet, so to speak, as he engaged in discussion about community with People First members.

This book is about community capacity building - and about inclusion.

Love it!
Carol
May 27, 2010 added it
Good reference book for those interested in community organizing a la Barack Obama's old day job.
Lis
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My uncle wrote this one! It is an excellent workbook of ideas and local solutions.
Rusti
May 04, 2010 added it
Shelves: miscellaneous
1 copy available
Jason
Feb 27, 2015 added it
A really good guidebook for people looking to build community through ABCD methods.
Jacob
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book addresses new prospects for community building. It focus is on shifting the current paradigm. So far it has informed some of my projects...we'll see where it goes.
Amira
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Functional and practical. Great beginning of the road map to figuring out the strengths of communities and how to network within institutions, associations, generationally and socio-economically.
La. M.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Beyond Charity: The Call to Christian Community Development
  • Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor
  • The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
  • Building Powerful Community Organizations: A Personal Guide to Creating Groups that Can Solve Problems and Change the World
  • For All the People: Uncovering the Hidden History of Cooperation, Cooperative Movements, and Communalism in America
  • Just Generosity: A New Vision for Overcoming Poverty in America
  • The Heart of Racial Justice: How Soul Change Leads to Social Change
  • Living More With Less
  • Toward the African Revolution
  • Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980
  • Do You Love Me? An Entertainment in Conversation and Verse
  • Raising Expectations (and Raising Hell); My Decade Fighting for the Labor Movement
  • Take Back the Land: Land, Gentrification & the Umoja Village Shantytown
  • Celebrating the Third Place: Inspiring Stories About the Great Good Places at the Heart of Our Communities
  • The Activist's Handbook: A Primer
  • The Heretic's Guide to Global Finance: A Guide to Creative Financial Activism
  • The Empowerment Manual: A Guide for Collaborative Groups
  • Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement