Jump to ratings and reviews

Polson Falls #2

The Hustler Next Door

From the international bestselling author of The Simple Wild and Ten Tiny Breaths comes a new stand-alone enemies-to-lovers, small-town romance.

Justine MacDermott is in what she would call a transition period: squatting in her best friend’s house and working in an appliance store in Polson Falls while the man she was supposed to marry starts a new life with someone else.

She’s definitely not thinking about slashing his tires and wishing his vital extremities would fall off.

When newcomer Garrett Harrington strolls into Murphy’s looking to buy a refrigerator, Justine convinces herself she’s found her rebound. Or the next love of her life. Either works. But a chance encounter leads her to discover that Garrett isn’t who he made himself out to be, and he’s more interested in hustling her kindly old boss out of his family business—and using her to do it.

Furious at being fooled by yet another man and itching for retribution, Justine enlists the help of unlikely townsfolk to battle Harrington Group’s big-city development plans for Polson Falls.

It’s all going to plan … until Justine finds herself crossing enemy lines.

The Hustler Next Door is set in the Polson Falls world. Books in this series can be read in any order.

ebook

First published January 3, 2023

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

K.A. Tucker

60 books18k followers
K.A. Tucker writes captivating stories with an edge.

She is the internationally bestselling author of the Ten Tiny Breaths and Burying Water series, He Will Be My Ruin, Until It Fades, Keep Her Safe, The Simple Wild, Be the Girl, and Say You Still Love Me. Her books have been featured in national publications including USA Today, Globe & Mail, Suspense Magazine, Publisher's Weekly, Oprah Mag, and First for Women. She has been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance 2013 for TEN TINY BREATHS and Best Romance 2018 for THE SIMPLE WILD. KEEP HER SAFE made Suspense Magazine's Best of 2018 list for Romantic Suspense.

K.A. Tucker currently resides in a quaint town outside of Toronto.

Join Tucker's Troop on Facebook! >>

Signup for her newsletter >> https://www.katuckerbooks.com/newslet...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
51 (3%)
1 star
6 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 309 reviews
Profile Image for Christy.
3,706 reviews31.5k followers
December 29, 2022
4 stars
“You know you’re like some sort of… tiny beautiful menace, plotting my downfall.”

I had such a fun time reading The Hustler Next Door. Justine was one of those characters that was such a fun time. She made me laugh out loud so many times.

After getting cheated on by her ex boyfriend, Justine decided follow in her best friends footsteps and move to the small town of Polson Falls to get away. She’s now squatting at her best friends house and helping out at an appliance store. Garrett Harrington the third is a property developer and when he comes to town there is an instant attraction. But they start off on the wrong foot…

Justine and Garrett aren’t exactly enemies but they definitely have this feud/rivalry going on about the direction of Polson Falls. Justine is such a riot through all of this. I loved her Friday nights with the granny gang and how devoted she was. It took her a while to see Garrett’s true intentions, but once she finally came around, they couldn’t stay away from one another.

I loved that Justine had absolutely no filter and was a lot to handle, but Garrett loved that about her and never tried to water her down for him. This was such an enjoyable read and I enjoyed it even more than the first.
“You were never too much for me.”

Profile Image for Anna.
145 reviews115 followers
January 14, 2023
K.A. Tucker strikes again!!!!! 🔥🔥🔥

I’ve repeatedly shouted from the rooftops that this author is one of my favorites and that I’m constantly rereading her books. She has an insane range, having published romantic suspense, romantic fantasy, rom-coms, good old contemporary romance and even women’s fiction-y romances (what I would call The Simple Wild, lol).

The first book in this series, The Player Next Door, is a cozy, comforting second chance romance about Scarlet, an elementary school teacher returning to the small town of Polson Falls where she grew up, and Shane, the once all-star quarterback who broke her heart in high school and now a hot single dad who works as a firefighter and is also her next door neighbor. I mean, perfection.

This second book is about Justine, Scarlet’s best friend, a tough, badass Bostonian who moves to Polson Falls (and into Scarlet’s spare bedroom) after having her heart stomped on by her longtime fiancé, Bill.

Just as a side note, I thought Justine’s arc was so well constructed in this series; we got to see her in the first book before the breakup, and, even though she was happy, we still got some weird vibes off Bill and her descriptions of him. There was always talk about little things he did that Justine would just roll her eyes over but would make the reader feel like she could do a lot better. When she finally showed up on Scarlet’s doorstep bawling over the fact that Bill cheated on her, I was not surprised at all.

Moving on. At first I thought the hero of this book would be Shane’s ripped best friend, Dean, but that would be too easy. What actually happens is that Garrett Harrington, a rich, gorgeous hotshot developer, comes into town to hit the ground running on a new project he’s taking on.

The issue: Garrett’s project will cause the extinction of traditional and beloved Polson Falls businesses and will bring on a modernization of the town that is not appealing to a lot of its citizens. Justine, who works for the owner of one of these businesses and has become very attached to it (as well as to the other concerned business owners), basically declares war on Garrett and sets off to plot his downfall.

Justine is incredibly brash and crass and I loved every second of it. She was like a bull in a china shop all the time, and the contrast between her and calm, collected, fancy, uppity Garrett was so good. They were total opposites, yet they really fit like puzzle pieces in the best way possible.

I also loved that, even though Justine had such an impenetrable exterior, she was actually very sensitive and emotional, and seeing her still having to deal with Bill due to the fact that he was her brother’s best friend was so hard and frustrating. If that was my brother, he would get an earful for sustaining that friendship, lol.

Just like The Player Next Door, this book was funny and quick and delightful. I waited a long time for Justine’s story and I was so happy to see her finally get her happy ending with someone who more than deserved her.
Profile Image for Nadine.
1,130 reviews216 followers
December 28, 2022
The Hustler Next Door misses the mark in that the romance portion of the novel doesn’t start until 50%, the chemistry is lukewarm at best, and Tucker spends too much time with the plot.

The Hustler Next Door follows Justine as she fights for Polson Falls’ history when a big developer, Garrett, wants to demolish buildings and build condos. Justine teams up with the older folks, Granny Gang, to do whatever they can to stop the developer. However, things don’t go as planned when Justine has an intense physical attraction to said developer.

The synopsis above sounds like the perfect enemies-to-lovers, but Tucker spends too much time with the intricacies of the town’s bylaws and the Granny Gangs’s plans. Justine and Garrett banter a lot, but that banter doesn’t translate into something tangible and worthwhile until 50% through the novel. Justine and Garrett’s chemistry starts out lukewarm, but quickly heats up as their attraction to each other is undeniable.

Justine will be a difficult character to like for some readers. She’s brash, sometimes crude, and speaks her mind with no filter. I love these types of characters since they’re not doormats and stand up for themselves. However, I do understand that Justine can be a bit much for some readers.

Overall, The Hustler Next Door was an okay read that took too much time to find its footing by focusing too much on the plot outside the budding relationship between the main characters.

*** I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for MELISSA *Mel Reader*.
1,324 reviews1,389 followers
4 Stars!
(ARC provided by Valentine PR)

4C5D66D8-FF8F-4C1E-9970-09AC554F9D61

Justine MacDermott is a feisty, confident woman from Boston with no filter. After being betrayed by the man she thought she would marry she's in somewhat of a transition period in her life. When everything around her fell apart she needed an escape and moved to a small town in Pennsylvania called Polson Falls where she lives with her best friend and works at the local appliance store on main street. Nothing is permanent, but she's enjoying the quiet peaceful town. Then a stranger appears that excites her again and makes her daydream of new possibilities for romance. When she learns he's not what he seems, she feels like a fool and is out for revenge. She's a loyal person that values trust and honesty, and feels hustled by this sexy newcomer. Will she get caught up in the drama of getting even, or will she ruin all her plans by falling for the enemy?

DE460075-FE09-4BF6-AE2D-5B22EBDA15DA

The Hustler Next Door by K.A. Tucker is the second book in the Polson Falls series. It's a fun, flirty, standalone, small town, enemies to lovers romance full of humor, chemistry and amazing banter. I really enjoyed this story and loved Justine's personality. She's hilarious and you never know what she's going to say next! :))

708800B6-901E-4A2B-8B1A-C8DCD774F259_zpsqkbfrd0n

***NOW AVAILABLE***
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,120 reviews1,176 followers

Justine + Garrett

We already met Justine in THE PLAYER NEXT DOOR.
She is Scarlet's BFF and at the end of the first book she broke up with her boyfriend and moved in with Scarlet. She also quit her job with her uncle's head hunter firm and is now working in Ned's little appliance store in Polson Falls.
And that's where Garrett comes in.
At first he only wants a new fridge.
Justine and Garrett immediately click and they flirt and chat and they're halfway married in their minds after that first meeting.
But as it turns out, Garrett is in town to buy up properties and build new ugly things in the pretty old town. And that's not something Justine and her gang of retirement home friends are going to let happen! LOL!

Will there be a chance for a happily ever after for Justine and Garrett??

READ THE BOOK TO FIND OUT

Also, you should read The Player Next Door before reading this book - both are standalone romances, but lots of people are in both books a lot - so please read the first book first!

══════════════════

Adorable!

This was another perfect small town love story from K.A. Tucker!
Justine was already so funny and crazy in Scarlet and Shane's book and now in her own story - she's just as great.
She's a tiny thing of energy and anger and heartbreak and fun and flirt. I really love her.
And Garrett. We don't really love him at first - obviously. Because he's the big bad city guy trying to destroy the cute little town. Like in a bad Christmas movie. LOL. But no. He's not bad and he doesn't want to destroy things to just make money. He has great ideas for the town. But it takes Justine a while to figure that out. And by then it might be too late for a happily ever after with the hot city boy. Or maybe not. We definitely have many hilarious and adorable moments to enjoy until a happily ever after might happen...😁

I loved reading this.
It was a super cute and hilarious romance with an amazing cast! I could so see this whole town and its people as a TV Show!

THE HUSTLER NEXT DOOR was a sweet and adorable and hilarious small town romance!
Run to your nearest amazon for your own Garrett - this one is mine!

💜 💜

Smokin Hot Book Blog Smokin Hot Book Blog Smokin Hot Book Blog Smokin Hot Book Blog Smokin Hot Book Blog
Profile Image for maddison.
188 reviews132 followers
January 2, 2023
This is the best book to start 2023 off with!

This was such a good read! Justine is a very amusing character who doesn't mind being herself. She has no filter at all, and she is a handful to most people. As stated in the book, she is a firebrand, not a wet noodle. As for Garrett, he is goddamn perfect.

Following the discovery of her ex-boyfriend Bastard Bill's cheating, Justine travels to Polson Falls with her best friend, Scarlet. She is currently a squatter at her friend's house and works out of an aging, struggling appliance store. After spending time with her family in Boston, she heads back to work just as a handsome man enters the building.

Due to his upcoming move into the area, Justine flirts with Garrett while selling him a refrigerator. He even expresses his desire to purchase the appliance store and discusses the matter further with her boss. After their first meeting, she thinks that Garrett could be her rebound from Bastard Bill.

That is, until she learned that Garrett is a property developer who wants to purchase the building so he can demolish it all and replace it with something more modern. To prevent him from destroying the town's old, historic structures, Justine is now prepared to take whatever necessary action. Their connection becomes heated as a result of this.

Even though the two immediately connect, nothing romantically significant happens until you pass the halfway point. From that moment on, it's just pure heaven seeing them fall in love and feel like she can be in a relationship again with someone who wants her for who she is. Oh my God, I adore them so much.

Ps: the scarlet and shane breadcrumbs are to die forbreadcrumbs are to die for😭

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘙𝘊 𝘪𝘯 𝘦𝘹𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸🤍
Profile Image for Sentranced Jem.
1,025 reviews562 followers
January 5, 2023

It took me the better half of the book to finally sit my ass down long enough to finish The Hustler.
I liked Justine ever since I read The Player Next Door. She is like a force to be reckoned with.. to be honest, sometimes, for an introvert like me, she can take a lot of energy out of you hahaha
But! I like how unapologetic she is about herself and one can’t not admire that, right?
I liked Garrett too.

It starts off a little slow for me, as in - it took a while for me to immersing myself with the characters but overall, The Hustler, was an entertaining read. It’s funny, it has a little spice and the relationships between family and friends makes it a fun romantic comedy.
Profile Image for Isa LaCroqueuseDeLivres.
489 reviews26 followers
December 26, 2022

4.5/5 STARS

OMG this book made my whole weekend!!!

I loved Justine in Book 1, so I was really thrilled with the idea of reading her own story.

She may have got on my nerves sometimes (because I totally fell in love with Garrett from the start), but after what she went through with her ex, all her trust issues were understandable.

I love their banter, their attraction, and his patience with Justine’s antics and provocations.

Having hints of Scarlett and Shane was a great bonus too, and Dean… I mean, I need his book like yesterday.

And all the elderly characters…. You will love them too.

What I loved the most of this book, romance aside, was the humor…. Man did I laugh with those two, and there were so many dialogues I enjoyed with all the characters, I mean…. It’s Justine we’re talking about!

I didn’t give 5 stars because I needed a little more in the Epilogue, but all in all, this book was awesome.

I totally recommend this book. So, if you want to start the new year with a great romcom, this one is the perfect mix of laughs, steamy scenes, and drama!

I really, REALLY hope there will be more books, and that Dean will be next!

***ARC kindly provided by the author and Valentine PR in exchange for an honest review***

Visit my French blog:

Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,797 reviews
4.5/5 stars

The Hustler Next Door is the second book in the Polson Falls series. This is Justine's story.

This book is a romantic comedy. It can be read as a standalone. However Scarlet and other characters from the first book are in this book a lot. So I would recommend reading in order.

We met Justine in The Player Next Door. She was trying to get over a very bad break-up and moved in with her best friend Scarlet. I actually did not read the book blurb before starting this book. So I did not even know who her love interest was going to be.

Justine is crass and so funny. Her flirting and sassy sense of humor added so much to this story.

I absolutely adored the romance. And I really enjoyed everything to do with her brother, his girlfriend and her ex. There were also a lot of really fun surprises that I enjoyed immensely.

I do wish that the ending had been more dramatic. However overall I really loved every minute of this book. I'm so happy that this was my first book of the year!

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
Profile Image for Cassandra Martin.
621 reviews37 followers
December 25, 2022
I cannot tell you how many times this book made me laugh out loud. Without a doubt Justine has been the most delightfully hilarious heroines I’ve read recently.

This small town romance has all the best things, tight knit community, with people definitely up in everyone else’s business.

Justine and Garrett tip toe that enemies to lovers line perfectly, with blazing chemistry and amazing banter. Justine is such a firecracker and Garrett is definitely here for it!

I love that we get to see Scarlet and Shane again, and a few of our other favorite side characters. Crossing my fingers we’ll get a third book in this series for Dean!
January 18, 2023
4-4.5 ⭐'s

I really enjoyed Justine and her in your face personality and I was definitely happy with how Garrett handled her. I just think it would have been so much better with some chapters from Garrett's POV...I really wanted to know what he was thinking at times.

It was great getting to know a lot of the secondary characters although it was a bit involved with all the politics. And of course, I loved getting more Scarlet and Shane. I hope Dean gets a book...he really grew on me.

I was happy with the way things ended...I just wished it was more definitive.
Profile Image for Faith.
295 reviews37 followers
January 20, 2023
Actual rating: 3.5 ⭐️
Small town romance is one of the best tropes, and this is just another proof.
Their banter was hilarious and flirty. I liked them together, but not as much as I liked Shane and Scarlet together.
This was fun, entertaining, and a great time.
I wouldn’t mind reading more about this town. I think it’d be wonderful if Dean got his own book.
Ps. I hate that hideous cover with so much passion.
Profile Image for Charlene.
767 reviews21 followers
January 4, 2023
The Hustler Next Door is a companion novel in the Polson Falls series and it is a small town romance, with enemies to lovers with a touch of forbidden romance thrown in. We follow Justine and Garrett. We already met Justine in The Player Next Door. She is Scarlet's BFF and broke up with her cheating boyfriend, moving into Scarlet's place. She's working at the local appliance store, and in comes Garrett. He flirts with Justine and she is interested. It turns out that Garrett is a developer and buying properties up to change Polson Falls landscape. Justine feels that Garrett was trying to trick her and Justine doesn't know if he can forgive them. Is there a chance for a happily ever after when they are on opposing sides? You will have to read to find out!

This is another wonderful small town romance by K.A. Tucker. I loved Justine in Scarlet's book and loved to get to see her humour in this book too. She uses that humour to cover a lot of the big feelings she has, especially regarding her recent break-up. Garrett was written to hate at first, but as we got to know him, he was really a good guy. I loved the banter between Justine and Garrett, it was top notch. I felt that Justine really needed someone that would go toe to toe with her and love her antics and Garrett really seemed like the guy for her.

Enemies to lovers can be a tough story to write, but K.A. Tucker did a great job straddling that line with Garrett and Justine. There was some hot chemistry between them, and some awesome banter.

I also loved getting to see some snippets of Scarlet and Shane again, seeing where things were at for them after the previous book. I'm crossing my fingers that there is another story in this series, and Dean manages to get his happily ever after too!

Thank you to the author and Valentine PR for a copy of this book. All opinions are 100% mine.
Profile Image for Phoebe (readandwright) Wright.
326 reviews210 followers
January 6, 2023
Thank you Valentine PR and KA Tucker for my copy! All thoughts are my own.

If you’ve been following me for a while, you know The Simple Wild by KA Tucker is an all time favorite book of mine. I’ve read a few other books by her and I’m always drawn to the connections she creates between her characters. I really enjoyed The Player Next Door when I read it in 2020 so I was excited to finally get back to the Polson Falls universe!

Once I hit my stride with this book, I really liked it. It’s not as poetic and all consuming as The Simple Wild, but it’s fun and flirty and the banter is * chef’s kiss *. I also always really love how Tucker works in pining and genuine feelings with her spicy scenes. It all feels so natural and not forced.

I struggled with the first 25% or so with this book because I could tell Justine had walls up. The “enemies’ portion felt…kind of forced. But I suppose that was the thing Justine had to really overcome.

What I Liked:

The Characters—I loved Garrett so much. And Justine is so refreshing and unlike any other character I’ve read in a romance in a while. I feel like some people may say she has “Pick Me” vibes but I actually really liked her firecracker ways.

The Relationships—I love Scarlett and Justine’s friendship but also the other characters in the town! Ned, Todd, Shirley…they’re all fun and wonderful. We spent a lot of time outside of Polson Falls in this book, but the characters still give it the small town vibes.

The Banter—KA Tucker writes incredible banter. I loved how Garrett and Justine went back and forth with each other! So fun.

What Didn’t Work:

The Pacing / First 25% ish—I didn’t think I was going to like this book when I started reading it. It took a bit to get into it and I wasn’t sure if it was going to be Dean or Garrett as the love interest. But once I crossed that threshold I really really enjoyed it!

Character Authenticity: 4/5

Spice Rating: 2.5/5

Overall Rating: 3.9/5

Content Warnings:

Infidelity
Profile Image for Jamie Rosenblit.
867 reviews491 followers
January 14, 2023
} I was so excited to return to Polson Falls with the one and only K.A. Tucker! After waiting over 2.5+ years since the release of The Player Next Door, I’ve been eagerly awaiting Justine’s book! Enemies to lovers and a big bad city man destroying a small town are tropes that are at play in this one and I enjoyed the delicious banter immensely.

While this is set in the Polson Falls universe, it can absolutely be read stand alone (but The Player Next Door is really great too!) or if you’ve read that one, you’ll get to check in on the relationships introduced there, which I always love!

This one is out now, so be sure to get your hands on it!

4.5 stars!

Thank you to Valentine PR for an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Books Wine and Besties.
252 reviews60 followers
January 7, 2023
"You know, you're like some sort of... tiny, beautiful menace, plotting my downfall."

📌Enemies to Lovers
📌Small town
📌quirky small town side characters
📌firecracker of a female led
📌big city developer in a suit
📌banter

If you are looking for some laughs in a small town with small town problems… This one is definitely right up your alley. I felt like I was watching Sweet Magnolias (but with a heroine and a dirty mouth).
Profile Image for Cokiereads.
151 reviews7 followers
December 25, 2022
So, so, good!

I loved Scarlets best friend Justine from book 1. She was take me as I am, unafraid... and when we found out she was cheated on, I was pissed for her. (Bastard Bill indeed)

I loved the new characters in this book. Her relationships with her new boss and Shirley was great. I was raised in an older household so I appreciate them.

Garrett and Justine was just whew! He was hot, charming, and I love the way he and Justine were just bickering, then being hot... Justine herself mentions that she can hold a grudge. AND to be fair she just got left. It wasnt even a year. Ugh I just ate, I cant speak more on BB. And her family. I had some thoughts on that.

Anyways I am 1000% hoping that this isn't the last book in this hometown. Maybe Becca? 😌
Profile Image for Livelyreads.
131 reviews16 followers
December 27, 2022
This book grew on me and I fell in love hard with it. To be honest I wasn't sure about the female MC but soon she became one of my favorites. The Hustler next door is a light hearted enemies to lovers romantic comedy with enough drama that will keep you glued to your kindle.
Justine is not your regular heroine, sure she is smart, sassy and strong but she is quirky, feisty, stubborn, has a big mouth, flirts with every walking male, and a menace as called by our hero Garrett, which makes her so much more fun.
Garrett is the developer next door who gives as good as he gets. He had a great dry sense of humor and I liked him from the very first time he was introduced. The banter and sizzling chemistry between Justine and Garrett was mind-blowing and the other side characters like granny gang and Ned and Todd were great interesting additions not to mention loved seeing Scarlett, Shane and Dean from The player next door.
All in all, its definitely a must read book in this cozy winter ❤️
January 1, 2023
The Hustler Next Door by K.A. Tucker
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Justine is keeping busy befriending the elderly, trying to take over bingo, and squatting at her best friend’s house to heal from her last relationship when Garret wanders into her life. He’s charming and flirty, but quickly becomes the enemy when Justine realizes he’s trying to demolish the building next door. Soon she’s rallying her adopted community against Garret’s idea of growth. Their chemistry is undeniable and soon Justine is toeing the enemy’s line. Can they draw up some plans to their happily ever after?

First I have to say thanks for the ARC! I truly enjoyed this read and am happy to give my honest opinion and review.

K.A. Tucker is a new to me author and I really vibed with her writing and characters. This was a quick read that held my attention. I enjoyed Justine’s character—she’s just so unapologetically herself. My only wish is that Garret got his own POV, but I’m a dual POV lover at my core.

All my enemies to lovers friends need to snag this one January 5th!
Profile Image for Bree.
88 reviews
January 5, 2023
I’m so glad that this was my first read of 2023 because this book checked all of the boxes for me. This book was laugh out loud funny, had a flirty, outspoken heroine, and featured the enemies to lovers, forced proximity, and boy falls first tropes which I adore.

Justine finds herself in small town Polston Falls after a bad breakup with her boyfriend. In need of a change, Justine begins working at a local appliance store when she meets Garrett, a big city developer who poses as an interested buyer. Justine and Garrett have instant chemistry but it isn’t long until Justine finds out that Garrett is aiming to buy out local businesses for his company’s redevelopment plans. Garrett quickly goes from a potential suitor to enemy number one and she sets out to undermine him at every turn.

I love a good workplace rivalry and enemies to lovers and this book delivered on both fronts. The forced proximity made every interaction between Justine and Garrett full of major pining and I couldn’t get enough of them.

Thank you to Valentine PR for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars
Profile Image for BookedwithRae.
211 reviews33 followers
Tropes:
• strangers - enemies - lovers
• smalltown
• caregiving while sick
• phenomenal banter

Relationship type:
• m/f

We’re back in Polson Falls and I am beyond excited. I love Scarlett and Shane but JUSTINE AND GARRETT!?! They are literally everything.

Justine is my favorite character. She’s such a fire cracker and her wit is unmatched. This book had me rolling, I’ve never read such fantastic banter. Justine’s inner struggle is relatable, because after you get told you’re too much and then to have a man who made you feel so much finally start to act right with someone they seem more acceptable. She’s such a fun and incredible character and I’m glad she got her own story.

I genuinely can’t recommend this book enough. I like that the conflict was low stress. K.A. Tucker knocked this one out of the park. I loved literally just about everything about this book.

I am however, begging, pleading, and praying for Dean to get a story.

**I did want to fist fight every single member of Justine’s family. They are incredibly unsupportive of her and the way the keep trying to make everything okay rubbed me wrong.
Profile Image for Debra Akins.
241 reviews94 followers
January 3, 2023
”I am who I am, and for some people, I can be too much.
I wouldn't ever want you to mute yourself for anyone, especially not me."

SO HAPPY TO BE BACK IN POLSON FALLS! My first book to finish in 2023 and I loved it so much!! I stayed up until 5 AM. Yes, 5 AM- I know I’m a mad woman, but I quite literally couldn’t put it down. This was sexy, hilarious, small-town goodness.

I related a lot to Justine’s internal struggles and insecurities, but what I wouldn’t give to have that woman’s quick wit. The banter in this book had me giggling like a fool and it was the absolute best. Her and Garrett had palpable chemistry from the get go. They become enemies based on their circumstances, but they can’t fight the pull. I think I highlighted at least 1/3 of this book between the hilarious one-liners, the flirting and banter, and then the spice when it hits?? Hello!! 🔥

I loved The Player Next Door (yay for the cameos of Shane and Scarlet) but I loved this even more. I would call these interconnected standalones so you don’t technically have to read the first book, but why on earth wouldn’t you?

This releases tomorrow and you don’t want to miss it. 5 stars!!
Profile Image for Jess.
2,788 reviews5 followers
January 7, 2023
So, despite this book containing one of my least favorite things (a MC who has been betrayed by a partner who is close to their family and so has to endure being around them), I really liked this. I think it handled the aforementioned plot element better than most books that use it (oddly enough the brother who was forcing her into a wedding party with her ex and their new partner was the most compassionate? the parents sucked a bit tbh), but again, I'm just never going to love that. But the banter between hero and heroine was great, the degree to which the hero was gone for the heroine and wanted to impress her was top notch, and yeah, just really liked this.
Profile Image for Carol.
1,292 reviews219 followers
January 21, 2023
4 stars ....all the way!!!⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Another winner by Ms. Tucker (no surprises there).
I so enjoyed this enemies to lovers small town rom-com.
Probably even more so than the first book of the series...I love stories with an irreverent and funny heroine and Justine certainly fit the bill.
She features in the first book as Scarlet's best friend and it was so delightful to finally get her story.

On another note...How does an author write so well and successfully in so many different genres???
Romantic suspense, thriller, contemporary, rom-com, erotica.
Everything I have read by her is captivating and unique ....a good author to pick up if you ever find yourself in the middle of a book slump.
Favorites: The Simple Wild, Keep Her Safe and Burying Water.
Profile Image for Lindsey  Domokur.
1,263 reviews97 followers
January 3, 2023
Justine and Garrett are fire from the moment they meet. Justine is looking for a rebound and Garrett will do nicely, that is, until she finds out who he is and what his company is going to do to their town.
She sets her sights on destroying him, but she doesn’t realize how hard it won’t be to sleep with the enemy.Justine is no nonsense and Garrett needs to figure out how he can not only save his project, but win the girl.
I usually don’t mind one sided POV (this was Justine’s) but I found I was really, really in need of his POV for this one. I needed to see more of his pining for her, because I’m a sucker for that.
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,334 reviews39 followers
January 3, 2023
This is such a great small town romance. Love that Justine comes to Polson Falls (which I read as Poison Falls a million times!) to lick her wounds and finds everything she was looking for. A community that needs her staunch support, friends that love her effervescent personality and a man that embraces all her quirks.

I loved how “in your business” everyone in the small town was. So many distinctive side characters with interesting backstories to love. Justine’s dedication to the residents of Bonny Acres (and Bingo Night) was so sweet and really helped bring her into the fold of the community.

Garrett and Justine were just the opposites attract, enemies to lovers best, and even if Garrett wasn’t exactly participating in the enemies part, they still had the BEST banter. This was definitely a bit of a slow burn, but so worth it.

I requested an advance reader copy of this book and these are my honest opinions.
December 31, 2022
I have been waiting for Justine’s story and DAMN! K. A. Tucker knocked it out of the park!! It was even better than I could have imagined. I laughed, swore a bit and got all the warm fuzzy feels that makes for a fantastic read. 5 Giant ⭐️’s.
~Kim 💜
Profile Image for Annelee (Bringing_books_along).
99 reviews5 followers
January 3, 2023
This book had me laughing so many times. Justine is a Firecracker, her quick with along with her need to undermine Garrett made for a lot of really funny scenes. The side characters were just as strong as the MC’s in the book, I really felt like I was a part of the town. I enjoyed the townsfolk sub plots like the gossip at Bonny Acres and basement bootleggers.

I haven’t read the first book in this series yet but definitely plan on it now. I really hope we see Dean’s story in the near future!

That you to Valentine PR and the author for the copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 309 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.