Start by marking “Men are Stupid...and They Like Big Boobs: A Woman's Guide to Beauty Through Plastic Surgery” as Want to Read:

Delivered with Joan's signature sense of humour, this is a no-nonsense, common-sense, 'can-we-talk' guide to the ins and outs of such increasingly common beauty procedures as botox injections, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, liposuction, rhinoplasty, eye lifts, breast augmentation and much more.
Published December 30th 2008 by Gallery Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Men are Stupid...and They Like Big Boobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men are Stupid...and They Like Big Boobs

Jane Turner
Apr 11, 2011 Jane Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
For Joan Rivers, plastic surgery is revenge.

In one of the best documentaries of 2010, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work, we’re given access to a woman who seems to say, “I need you to love me, but I hate you for my neediness.” It makes her compelling and repelling, although it doesn’t explain how she can call her daughter the C-word in a joke.

Perhaps the answer is in her book, Men Are Stupid…And They Lke Big Boobs. Unfortunately, the library’s only copy came with LARGE PRINT, so my eyes dilated the e
Anna Kļaviņa
Jul 05, 2013 Anna Kļaviņa rated it did not like it
I blame my boyfriend who looks for the worst nonfiction books he can find and brings them home. That's his hobby- to read bad books. And that's the reason why I ended reading this book.

I don't know who is this woman and because of that I'm not her fan or hater.

In this book Rivers tells about her plastic surgeries and makes excuses why she has done it but mostly she gives advices about plastic surgeries. I don't think it is a shameful thing to consider/do a plastic surgery, but ,honey, don't bl
Pam
Apr 16, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
In the past few years, I've grown very fond of Joan Rivers. She's absolutely hysterical and works really hard to be where she is at. So, I couldn't help myself but buy her book. It was different than what I thought. It's actually more on the serious side than humor. She goes through every kind of plastic surgery from minor to major. She is an advocate of being open about the surgeries you've had. She thinks you shouldn't hide it and be proud of it. And that it's important to be realistic about t ...more
Carly Berg
Nov 03, 2014 Carly Berg rated it really liked it
It seems a lot of the low reviews were from people who didn't realize this book was what it clearly states in the sub-title: A Woman's Guide to Beauty Through Plastic Surgery. I don't think it's fair or accurate to mark a book down because *you* didn't read the title correctly or aren't interested in the topic.

Anyway, I thought Joan Rivers was hilarious and was so sad to hear she had passed away. The book was a pretty good mix of insider advice, statistics, risks, humor, and fun celebrity gossi
Reader
Mar 03, 2011 Reader rated it it was amazing
Co-written with a cosmetic surgeon, this book should be the Bible for anyone considering professional assistance in looking better or younger. This is NOT limited to plastic surgery but covers peels, lasers, injectables and other appearance enhancers.

The book is divided into body sections and then discusses the least radical fix, moving to the most radical. The standard format - what the procedure is for, how much it will cost, etc., - is very easy to follow. I particularly appreciate the sectio
Terri
Feb 21, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-related
I'm not one for plastic surgery really....heck, I don't even wear makeup. I'm kind of a "what you see is what you get" kinda girl. This book really surprised me. I was never a fan of Joan Rivers but I gotta say I really like the way she put this book together. Under a very funny layer of humor is some straight-forward, serious advice and facts about every kind of plastic surgery available. An interesting and illuminating read even for those who would never consider plastic surgery.
Christine
Aug 04, 2011 Christine rated it it was ok
If you're curious to what Joan's had done--how many times--and when--then her primer on plastic surgery is for you. Also, if you'd like to convince someone NOT to go under the knife, she provides good reasons not to do so, as well as gruesome descriptions of all the gory details. Wonder what some of your favorite stars had done? Find it on these pages. Since I found this book at the thrift store, my curiosity about Joan was satisfied for a small price!
Sharon Bird
Dec 12, 2016 Sharon Bird rated it really liked it
Made me laugh, which all I need on some days!
Connie  Kuntz
Aug 25, 2009 Connie Kuntz rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Readers who need a break from their reality
Recommended to Connie by: Saw it on the shelf at the library.
I feel breathless, scared and thoroughly grossed out from reading this book.

By now you've no doubt heard about teenage girls who cut themselves? In a way, this is also a book about cutting, except this time it is a grandmother who is doing it and recommending it to the tune of thousands of dollars and thousands of days spent recuperating from the surgeries, all of which have a risk of death.

I picked up this book from the library because I thought it was going to be funny and lighthearted. It i
Sarah Hoppes
Dec 17, 2014 Sarah Hoppes rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I got this book on kindle because "Enter Talking" wasn't available. It had a different cover, so I had no clue it's basically a plastic surgery how-to.

I hated this book so much, but I read the whole thing anyway. It's broken into the different parts of the body you could have surgically altered, with all the reasons you would want to do so (mostly to land a man, and because no one takes ugly women seriously), and all the grisly detail on how the operations are done.

There is zero acknowledgemen
Julie
Dec 11, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
I picked this up in a used book store because I saw Joan Rivers and thought it would be good for a laugh. After getting home I realized it was about plastic surgery which didn't really interest me so it's been sitting on a shelf for ages. I have to say I'm glad I decided to finally read it. It has all of Rivers' trademark humor and talked about types of plastic surgery that I didn't even know existed. I found it interesting. More than just humor, it appears to be really well-researched and for p ...more
Michelle
Jan 19, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Different from what I expected...I thought it was going to be a ride of constant laughs. Aside from the typical snarky joke from Joan, it was basically an encyclopedia for plastic surgery options. I am not interested in having plastic surgery done, but I found myself enlightened when learning about all of the procedures, methods, and even the botched jobs done on celebs. Joan has such a delicate way of sharing that last bit with you. Ha! I never knew how many ways you can get a butt lift or face ...more
Stefanie
I got this audiobook from the library because in the wake of Joan Rivers's death, I wanted to hear her voice. I'm probably the least likely person ever to have plastic surgery because (sorry world!) I really don't care enough about my appearance to ever go under the knife, get injected with things, etc. The book is certainly filled with candid and in-depth (no pun intended) information about plastic surgery, and I learned a lot. Rivers does not hold back on the detail, although she is encouragin ...more
Mrs. Tongate
Jul 06, 2015 Mrs. Tongate rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Enjoyed hearing Joan's voice as I read. I'm not going to be doing any of the surgeries on a teacher budget, but now I'm more informed and sick to my stomach! Who knew some of these procedures even existed! No wonder my friends in CA look different from folks in Burnside, Ky! If you ever decide to go under the knife, read this book.

"I'll say it 50 times: from cars to shoes to surgeons, you get what you pay for. If you go for the bargain, you might have to have a 2nd or 3rd surgery to fix the orig
Christine Noel
May 24, 2012 Christine Noel rated it liked it
I first became a fan of Joan Rivers back in high school, when she and her daughter hosted the Red Carpet Fashion Review on E! and she talked a lot about her shriveled up vagina. I've always found Joan to be hilarious, but this book reveals another side of her: one that is impossibly fragile, lonely, and wrought with feelings of worthlessness.

Read this book because it is interesting and insightful; I can't imagine why anyone would take advice on altering one's physical appearance from a person w
Andie Treitschke
Aug 11, 2015 Andie Treitschke rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. I do not know why people hate it. If you want to know more about plastic surgery it's the way to go..everything said by the person who had many many many procedures. Of course it's not a medical guide. It does not force you to have any kind of surgeries. Hey! it even says it's sometimes dangerous and risky to your life if performed incorrectly or by someone who should treat your uterus not the face... all with typical JR humour .. I really enjoyed it few years ago ... 5/5
Holly
Dec 28, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok
I'm glad I read it because it was informative... but also glad its over. If anyone needs info on cosmetic surgeries, Joan would probably know more than anyone else. I'm not a big fan of Joan Rivers, but she is pretty funny and if it weren't for her sense of humor, I probably wouldn't have made it through this book.
Steven Milian
Oct 01, 2011 Steven Milian rated it liked it
I listened to this on audio and would listen to Joan read anything. Unfortunately I didn't realize this was truly about detailed advice and info about plastic surgery options and surgeries. It's well written and very informative, very descriptive. So not my cup of tea but I enjoyed Joan reading it to me. I would not have read it in book form tho.
Jasmine Langdon
Nov 26, 2015 Jasmine Langdon rated it really liked it
I'm not an advocate of plastic surgery so this book took me over 2 months to read. I liked it nevertheless. Joan Rivers makes it a funny and informative read.

I'm still never getting surgery! Joan talks about non surgical procedures too.

It's very descriptive.

The things we do for men! Oh ok for ourselves too!
georgia
Sep 11, 2014 georgia rated it it was ok
2009 304 pages

a primer for anyone wanting anything done to them self with directions for doctor questions, costs, and a variety of ways to make the change happen. She does have some humor, mainly at her self, names names of people who have plastic enhancements and pokes fun at everyone. 2 -1/2 actually.

not into plastic surgery as detailed as this book was
Connie Pollock
Sep 20, 2014 Connie Pollock rated it really liked it
I was hoping for more humor. Didn't expect it to be informative? Wow, makes a person go ick, ick, ick about what goes on with plastic surgery. I think I'll stick to my old lady face lotions! Sort of eery reading about Joan suggesting that people research their doctors in light of what's happened. Oh, Joan, how I miss you, you crazy old bat :(
Feb 18, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
i picked this up because i liked the title, and i like valerie frankel who co-wrote it, but i really have no interest in plastic surgery (at least presently) but if you do, this is informative. it's also funny and truthful and gives you all kinds of options if you like knives!
Jody
Apr 05, 2016 Jody added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It was cool to hear the details about all the different kinds of plastic surgery you can have. But every time Joan mentioned death could be a possibility for almost any of the procedures, I just thought of how she died.
Michele
Jan 07, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
Joan had me laughing loudly thru the whole book. If I ever wanted plastic surgery this book would tell me everything I needed to know. She is so honest & thorough with all of the details. The good,the bad and the ugly.
Donna
Mar 10, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
This was truly about the different plastic surgeries and how it’s done. It was darn funny AND informative. Only Joan Rivers could make a topic like this interesting and amusing. She did it so well I started thinking what I’d fix. That is if had I the money.
V
Jan 16, 2016 V rated it liked it
Although I do not think I would have plastic surgery, this book has all the tips for finding a reputable doctor and plenty of details about every surgery imaginable.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it liked it
she is very funny but i didnt finish reading the entire book. plastic surgery is not my most favorite topic and i didnt realize thats what this was about when i got it from the library.
Vicki
Mar 26, 2011 Vicki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like an idiot. I thought this would be a comedic memoir. But it's an actual guide to getting plastic surgery. And it's deeply depressing.
Jenny
Feb 25, 2009 Jenny is currently reading it
I love Joan Rivers, think she is great. I wanted to know about cosmetic surgery and this book is very informative and funny as well.
Thane Eichenauer
Feb 27, 2014 Thane Eichenauer rated it really liked it
I am really quite averse to the idea of plastic surgery. Joan Rivers and her surgeon do a great job of informing readers of the benefits and risks of any given type of surgery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • She Always Knew How: A Personal Biography of Mae West
  • Laughs, Luck...and Lucy: How I Came to Create the Most Popular Sitcom of All Time (with "I LOVE LUCY's Lost Scenes" and rare Lucille Ball audio)
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • You Can Get There From Here
  • Literary Life: A Second Memoir
  • Like a Lampshade in a Whorehouse: My Life in Comedy
  • A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
  • With Love and Laughter, John Ritter
  • The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story
  • As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling
  • What's Up Down There?: Questions You'd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend
  • Rickles' Book: A Memoir
  • Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm
  • No Bed Of Roses
  • The Rules According to Jwoww
  • Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose
  • Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny
  • Smart Blonde: Dolly Parton
Joan Rivers (born Joan Sandra Molinsky) was an American comedian, actress, talk show host, businesswoman, and celebrity. She was known for her brash manner and loud, raspy voice with a heavy metropolitan New York accent. Rivers was the National Chairwoman of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and is a board member of God's Love We Deliver. Like the ground-breaking Phyllis Diller, Rivers' act relied he ...more
More about Joan Rivers...