Start by marking “This Mess You've Made” as Want to Read:
This Mess You've Made

This Mess You've Made

Savannah has one goal in life and that's to make it to high school graduation. Seems simple enough, but the demons in her head make it near impossible to think about the future. They know she's yearning for something that's nowhere near her grasp, and she's been holding on with the hopes of some day reaching it. But it's becoming harder to hold on and all she wants is to l ...more
ebook
Published November 2020

To ask other readers questions about This Mess You've Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Mess You've Made

Start your review of This Mess You've Made
L.J. Scar
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Traumatizing events have occurred in Aryn and Savannah's childhoods leading to bruised souls and haunted minds as these two similar depressed teens unite. Their thoughts... The way each sees their world\life, the events within and their perceptive place in it are so unusually descriptive the reader feels the weight of their mental anguish and loneliness. Yet they are surrounded by friends, those that really care, they just don't understand.

In the case of Savannah, she is isolated and truly Alone
Hayleigh Sol
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Powerful writing for any audience to appreciate

Aryn and Savannah have faced significant tragedy and trauma in their young lives. Peering at their inner thoughts and becoming acquainted with their demons, it would seem neither is in any position to help themselves, let alone one another. But when they meet, in a rather unusual way, these lost souls are drawn to each other. Both are at the proverbial fork in the road, one path descending further into darkness and the other a chance for love and ac
Deasia Hawkins
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-work
I'm biased because this is my book, but I thoroughly enjoyed writing it and rereading it for the 10th time. I love my characters and how complex, (at times) dramatic, funny, and real they are. This is a slow-burn romance and a not-so-typical boy/girl next door story. The major themes of this book deal with depression, self-harm, and suicide and the characters face real problems, both internal and external.

I hope you give this book a chance. Savannah and Aryn are waiting!
Amrita. Ghosh
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It is a beautiful, debut novel. The story is interesting and can be finished in one sitting. The narration has a good pace and the dialogues are realistic. It is the story of Aryn and Savannah who have faced significant tragedy and trauma in their lives and how their love story is evolved. Although it is much more than a girl meets the boy story. The friendships and emotions that are woven into the story are beautiful. The point of view of the main characters is written so amazingly that you fee ...more
Gerald Yeung
Mar 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The author did a tremendous job telling the story from two protagonists - Aryn and Savannah - who strived to move on from tragic events to learn how to love again.

The author is technically gifted and insightful into the fragile minds of teenagers. A beautiful story.
Book Reviewer
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
In This Mess You’ve Made, author D.J. Hawkins gives the reader a story which explores themes such as depression, grief and suicide. Chapter by chapter we follow the different points of view of two high school teenagers, Savannah and Aryn. Through them we see their struggles and how they’ve almost given up on life but, after meeting each other, they’ll realize that there still might be more out there for them. Hanging onto hope, Savannah and Aryn’s relationship fuel a flame inside of each that co ...more
Melina Lobo
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
TW: depression, self-harm, suicide.
🦄🦄🦄
“You are a light in the darkness for me, and I’m convinced no
one’s ever burned as brightly as you do.”
🦄🦄🦄
TheBookersDiary
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler alert! Star author is in the making.❤️

As they say, one who suffers knows what suffering is. Such is the story of Savannah. She wants to be reached but is unreachable. She is the bearer of her unspeakable misery. This story has that sparkle of high school life, innocent memories with friends, and much more. A very well written story which just grows on you gradually.

Uniqueness :
What’s unique about this book is how the author has turned an ordinary story into an extraordinary one.

Predict
Patti
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
The friendships in the book are amazing. They are wholesome, supportive, and true. There are moments where there is lack of understanding between friends, but the realness of that makes the book all the better.
The book starts off slowly; it really takes the time to introduce the reader to the characters. The reader is given insight into the minds of the protagonists, Savannah and Aryn. Initially, as completely separate individuals with their own separate lives and then as their paths begin to c
Dana
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, captivating debut novel. Through expert storytelling, the plot unfolds as you get to know the characters, their personalities, and the traumas that shaped them. I devoured it in one sitting, I was so invested in the lives of Savannah and Aryn. The prose is also absolutely lovely. A couple of my favorite passages from the book that I found particularly memorable:

"Getting lost is a privilege. It means you're going somewhere. If you never get lost, then you are always stuck in the same
Daniela Radcliffe
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Nice cover! A story that deals with depression, suicide and first love. Told in two different POVs, Savannah's and Aryn's. After meeting one another they will try to heal each other and recover from the mental struggles that they've been dealing with.

It is a mix between books such as All the Bright Places and Everything, Everything, so the fans of those will probably like This Mess You've Made by D.J. Hawkins.
Olivia
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing debut by D.J Hawkins! This book takes your typical high school love story and deepens it, telling a story of love, depression and grief that is all too real for many these days. The prose is beautiful, poetic and at times haunting, and the two main characters are incredibly endearing. I look forward to seeing what this author does next! :)
Evan
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Was given an advanced reader copy so I am writing a review in exchange for that. This is actually the first young adult book that I’ve read since I was a teenager.
The writing style is pretty poetic and I like how the two main characters are complex and are dealing with their own issues. I also love how the two main characters are people of color!
Jodi Mollica gould
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A well written and brilliant read. From the start you understand the inner turmoil and insecurities the main characters carry. As they learn to love and grow self awareness, the story consumes you from the beginning.
Belkis Candelario

• RUSE (Dust & Ashes #1)
  • The Subtle Knife
  • The Essential Revolution
  • The Black Eyed Witch
  • Garkain (The Uluru Legacy, #1)
  • Heroes of Afflatus: Book 1 The Circle of Trust
  • A Witch in Time
  • To the North
  • The Demon Inside
  • Tall Corn State: An Iowa Story
  • Single and Catless: A Giving-Up Guide to Dating
  • Primed to Kill (Jeff Case #2)
  • Searchers The Irish Clans (Book One of Four Novels)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • Of Mice and Money
  • The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness
  • Preconceived Notions
  • Life Simply Moves On: A Dawn Awaits Every Dusk
D.J. Hawkins is an emerging author and poet from Upstate, New York. Her debut YA novel “This Mess You’ve Made” was published in November 2020. D.J.’s writing has been praised for its use of poetic imagery and exploration of complex topics like self-harm and depression. Her poem “The Allegory of Us” has also been published by Oprelle publications in the anthology titled "Matter."

A middle school tea