Start by marking “Dead Girl Walking” as Want to Read:
Dead Girl Walking

Dead Girl Walking

(Jessie Novak #1)

“911. What’s your emergency?”
“He came for her. She’s been shot,” says a desperate voice, as footsteps echo down an alley. “She’s dying.”
“Oh no, oh no, he’s coming back. Please, come quickly––” And then a click, and the drone of a dial tone.

The beautiful young woman on the stretcher could be on her honeymoon. Chestnut hair tumbles around a pretty face, rose petals tangled i
Published November 24th 2020 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Dead Girl Walking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Girl Walking

Start your review of Dead Girl Walking
Lou
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dead Girl Walking is the first instalment in the Emergency Room Triage Nurse Jessie Novak series, set in Boston, Massachusetts. Married couple thirty-two-year-old Rob and twenty-eight-year-old Ann Hart had, according to Rob, been out celebrating that night when a man had approached them, pointed his gun and robbed them before shooting mayor's aide and Harvard alumni Rob in the flank and Ann in the head in an alley next to the theatre on Warrenton Street, but when the dispatcher asks him to check ...more
Brenda Feinen
Nov 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Jessie works as an ER nurse. One of the mayor's staff is shot in the leg, his wife in the head.
From the beginning, Jessie is convinced Rob Hart had something to do with the shooting.
Predictable. Skimmed to finish.
LianaReads blog
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Rtc
Wendy C
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new author I have been wowed by! As a debut with Bookouture, this was one hell of a phenomenal novel!

The first thing I loved about it was the point of view from a hospital worker. I’m used to a crime thriller being from the lead detectors point of view so this was the first series that I’ve read from this point of view and I was pleasantly surprised.

It’s different, fresh and certainly not something I’ve read before. I can see other authors would follow suit. There’s been books with hospital
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
First, I want to thank Roberta Gately, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I can bring you this review.

Instantly I got sucked into the fast paced, intense, graphic and frantic beginning of Roberta Gately’s latest read Dead Girl Walking. It was the best of both worlds with criminal investigation and medical drama. The book reminded me of one of the ER crossover shows with the Investigative team.

This book is in loving memory of Roberta’s cherished brother Jim Gately, an a
Nicky Skene
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dead girl walking the first book in the series by Roberta Gately- another new author for me.
Loved it! I’m a huge fan of crime thriller books and happy to add this to one of my favourite reads of the year.
Jesse an ER nurse has a very busy night when two people - husband and wife - get rushed in after being shot. The husband an up and coming political hotshot makes the shooting front page news. Jesse has her thoughts on the crime and whilst working her already stressful and high paced job helps
Ana Lopez
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC copy

Dead Girl Walking is the first book in a series, a fact that is nicely established through the path the main character goes through in the book.
However, I don't find myself very interested in continuing reading this series. Despite keeping me interested in finding out who had done what, I didn't find this book to be a great thriller.
Not only were the mysteries pretty easy to guess (not every plot twist has to be the most surprising, but I feel like any read
April
Nov 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Many thanks to Bookouture & Netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

A thriller with an ER nurse as the main character, Dead Girl Walking was a fun, fresh take on a murder mystery. Although there were times I got annoyed with Jessie — mainly due to the repetition of some character flaws/quirks (I cannot count the number of times that it was emphasized that Jessie always falls for the “wrong type of guy”) — the plot was fairly quick and the story engaging. I especially loved the
Chloe
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have always been such a huge fan of Bookouture authors the stories they publish always seem to deliver exactly what you are promised, and this one is no different.

What I loved most about this book was following Jessie through her daily grind as a nurse. I found that this gave the book a very unique edge for me. Reading about the patients being admitted and the daily tasks if a medical professional created a medical drama show to play through me head as I was reading.

I felt like I was on a fa
Vanessa
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x
WoW......... And what a "Breath of Fresh air" this New author was for me!
Everyone loves a new author and when Roberta Gately's new book called Dead Girl Walking. I had to find some me time and open my kindle and start to read it. Oh, Boy, I was not disappointed!!! It was Brilliant! and I was hooked from the very first page!

“911. What’s your emergency?”
“Oh no, oh no, he’s coming back. Plea
Elisabeth Soane
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the first book with Jessie Novak as the main character. It was a good start but will be interested to know what will happen in book two. Usually the main character in a crime novel is a police officer or victim, with this Jessie is an emergency nurse.
Jessie is on duty when Ann Hart and her husband are brought in after being shot. How is Ann critically injured when her husband sent? Jessie seems to think it’s because her husband was involved with the shooting. Detective Sam Dallas is on t
Kristen Daniels
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was a little unsure about how I would feel about a thriller coming from the view point of someone other than the lead detective as I’m used to. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the way this all played out.

One night in Jessie Novak’s life ends up turning her life completely upside down. From the first time she laid eyes on her patient, she knew something was wrong but I don’t think anyone could guess just how wrong things really were. Unfortunately for Jessie, the problems don’t remain
Zoe M
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jessie works in a busy emergency department. The mayor's aide and his wife are brought in after being shot but something in the way he acts doesn't add up!

The story starts as a slow burn building up the backstory of the characters. I actually enjoy this style of writing because you know it's going to turn gritty. The suspension of waiting to find out what happens turns into quite the page turner. I really enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to more in the series.
Tracy
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i very much enjoyed this Jessie is a ER nurse . at the end of her shift a couple are brought in gunshots Ann hart and Rob hart .the detective in charge is Sam Dallas Jessie has a news reporter gets Jessie in trouble at work she starts dating Nick a policeman . Jessie thinks something not right about the shooting and thinks the husband involved someone is watching Jessie are they all connected . can she trust the police its so good looking forward to next book
Carol Drinkwater
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love medical dramas and I love thrillers so this book definitely hit the spot for me, well written and all the characters were good with their own stories.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat throughout and I can't wait to read more about Jessie Novak in the future.

I can thoroughly recommend this book, just brilliant.
Judy Morris
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a fantastic book. It was so good, I finished it in one day. A new author for me, and I will be reading more books by this author.
Thank you net gallery for giving me the wonderful chance of reading this great book.
TC
Jennie
added it
Nov 15, 2020

• The Girl She Wanted
  • Deadly Cry (DI Kim Stone #13)
  • The Wife
  • Trap Door
  • The Killer's Girl (Detective Morgan Brookes #2)
  • Kill A Stranger
  • First Date
  • Five Little Words
  • The Stranger in My Bed
  • Good Girl (DS Grace Allendale, #4)
  • The Safe Word (DI Eleanor Raven, #1)
  • A Mother Like You
  • The Housewarming
  • Somebody’s Daughter (Detective Natalie Ward #7)
  • Their Silent Graves
  • The Sisters
  • The Girl Who Never Came Home
  • The Secret Admirer (Detective Natalie Ward #6)
A nurse, humanitarian aid worker, and writer, Roberta Gately has served in third-world war zones ranging from Africa to Afghanistan. She has written extensively on the subject of refugees for the Journal of Emergency Nursing, as well as a series of articles for the BBC World News Online. She speaks regularly on the plight of the world’s refugees and displaced.

News & Interviews