Jump to ratings and reviews
Pippa Fitz-Amobi is not in the mood for her friend’s murder mystery party. Especially one that involves 1920’s fancy dress and pretending that their town, Little Kilton, is an island called Joy. But when the game begins, Pip finds herself drawn into the make-believe world of intrigue, deception and murder.

But as Pip plays detective, teasing out the identity of the killer clue-by-clue, the murder of the fictional Reginald Remy isn’t the only case on her mind …

Find out where it all began for Pip in this prequel to the best-selling A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder and Good Girl, Bad Blood.

138 pages, Paperback

First published February 18, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Holly Jackson

10 books19.2k followers
Holly Jackson was born in 1992. She grew up in Buckinghamshire and started writing stories from a young age, completing her first (poor) attempt at a book aged fifteen.

'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is a YA Mystery Thriller and her debut novel. She lives in London and aside from reading and writing, she enjoys binge-playing video games and pointing out grammatical errors in street signs.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
554 (3%)
1 star
112 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,588 reviews
Profile Image for Lucy Tonks.
415 reviews691 followers
January 5, 2023
huh, wait what's this??!! how did i not know this was a thing??
*adds to tbr without even reading the sypnopsis*
Profile Image for aly ☆彡 .
336 reviews890 followers
December 16, 2022
Do we have games like Kill Joy in real life? Because it looks pretty entertaining (・∀・) Even though Pippa had to go as far as reaching with her case solving (but I love to see hate-to-lose Pippa).

And this is really a good prequel to the start of the series as you get a sense of why Pippa chose to do her project on Andie Bell's murder case.
Profile Image for cor.
242 reviews51 followers
July 19, 2022
this helped feed some of my pip cravings
Profile Image for Madita.
470 reviews16.3k followers
February 3, 2023
Absolutely loved this prequel.

Since this is all before there events of agggtm I love how we were able to see where Pippa's detective type personality came from and also what events caused her to do the final project that she did in agggtm.

The overall writing was yet again amazing and I loved all the characters. Connor was funny like always and just seeing Pippa interact with her friends was alot of fun.

I also love the artsy little add ons for the case. Always makes a book better
Profile Image for Mai.
15 reviews147 followers
January 25, 2023
I'm familiar with the A Good Girl's Guide to Murder series, but I've never read it. I might have to now. This was slow to start. It was difficult for me to learn the multiple characters' names, and even more difficult for me to learn the cast of characters they were playing. By the time that all began to make sense, I was sucked into the murder mystery. Pip is a hoot.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher.
Profile Image for Creya.
317 reviews182 followers
February 26, 2021
Kill Joy is the prequel to Holly Jackson's A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. Pip and her friends are invited to a murder mystery party. Clues are revealed throughout the night, and guests must figure out who among them is the killer. It was super fun to revisit the characters we know and love, and even Pip's poor dog gets a mention. I had to subtract two stars because the plot seemed almost identical to that of the film Knives Out. If you haven't watched the movie (with Daniel Craig and Chris Evans, OKAAAAYYYY!), I'm sure you will really enjoy this story.
Profile Image for Zoeisbookhooked.
230 reviews196 followers
August 20, 2021
This is perfection😭

1) I fell in love with the concept of the murder mystery game party during the first page.

2) this is a great prequel! It sets up and tells a lot about Pip’s character and the whole Sal Singh + Andie Bell murder.

3) even though it’s a game and none of it was real, I was still so immersed in the mystery and the game. It was honestly so enjoyable!!

It was suspenseful yet so hilarious because it was just teenagers goofing off.

Though the end of the game wasn’t huge, I got a kick out of Pip and her defeat and how she handled it. Because I know someone exactly like that😂 *coughs* my brother

But ahh I just love this so much! And you could read it before the first book and still grip you!
Profile Image for Karla Martínez.
345 reviews11.6k followers
July 18, 2022
3.5
ya basta. estoy absolutamente obsesionada con pip y su mente por la chucha.
necesito mil libros más de ella resolviendo asesinatos, gracias.
Profile Image for Nilufer Ozmekik.
2,067 reviews38.1k followers
January 22, 2023
Hurray! It was so much fun to read an epilogue to A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder and spend some quality Agatha Christie-sque meets Clue style murder mystery time with our longtime brainy detective friend Pip!

What I like about this book?
- I’m absolutely blessed to have a chance to return back Pippa Fitz-Amobi’s universe before her murder obsession hits the roof! I didn’t like how her character evolved at final book three and I still wish the author gives her another chance redeem her mistakes and her happy ending with Ravi. But meeting with her character before she solved Andie Bell mystery was so much meaningful.

- Claustrophobic murder mystery game was also entertaining. The plotline reminds us “And Then There Were None” meets Clue. The events take place in an island called Joy where can be reached with only on boat that ships specific scheduled time. Reginald Remy, the patriarch of the Remy family and owner of the Remy Hotels and Casinos empire in London. He’s found dead in his study. There are six people in the house during the murder time.

One of them is killer. Pip plays Celia Bourne, estranged and neglected niece of Remy, working in London as a governess to a well-off family. The other suspects are children of Remy: Bobby( elder son), Ralph ( younger son), Lizzie ( Ralph’s wife), Humphrey the devoted butler, Dora the new cook. The investigation conducted by Howard Whey played by Jamie , one of their hosts and big brother of Connor. ( You may recognize those names if you read the first book of the series)

- I loved Pip’s detailed approach to see things looking through impeccably clever perspective. I loved her Poirot style theatrical revelation to unfold the mystery at the end ( it was one girl show!)

- Catching a quick glimpse of Ravi at the end enlightened my mood!

Overall: that novella I’ve devoured in two hours definitely reminded me of my love and dedication to the series! I need another book! I need it ASAP!

Special thanks to NetGalley and Random House Children’s / Delacorte Press for sharing this amazing digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.
Profile Image for Kimberly R.
152 reviews
February 2, 2023
Pipa and her friends have a 1920’s murder mystery party in this prequel to A Good Girls Guide To Murder. This was a great story that I rushed through. I can’t wait to read her others. Thanks NetGalley and Random House Children’s for this ARC that will be released February 28, 2023!
Profile Image for exploraDora.
518 reviews249 followers
January 10, 2022
A delightful little novella about Pippa Fitz Amobi, before she got into podcasts and solving crime.

This prequel to A Good Girl's Guide to Murder was nothing like what I had expected and that made it even a better reading experience for me. Pipp and her friends have a murder mystery dinner party, where each of them plays a different character and they collect clues to find out who the killer is.

The mystery itself was fun and thrilling and the way it was all put together was quite brilliant. The best part for me was when Pipp reveals her suspect and motive. I loved seeing again how her mind works.

A nice addition to the series 👌🏼
Profile Image for Ashley.
757 reviews402 followers
Want to read
May 6, 2021
Whywhywhywhy am I JUST seeing this now?
Profile Image for Kimberly R.
152 reviews
February 2, 2023
Profile Image for Lindsay (pawsomereads).
573 reviews358 followers
January 23, 2022
This was such a good prequel! It did a lot to introduce Pip and show readers how her mind works. There was also some great set up for the rest series. I really enjoyed getting this extra insight on Pip and her friends!
I think it’s best to read this one after at least the first or second book though as it’s helpful to have more details from those stories.
Profile Image for Nina.
737 reviews276 followers
February 27, 2021
I definitely enjoyed Kill Joy. It was a fun, short prequel to A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder which is one of the best books I’ve read this year so far and I really enjoyed trying to figure out which of the characters had committed the murder.

instagram || my blog || twitter
Profile Image for Jasmine from How Useful It Is.
1,215 reviews334 followers
January 18, 2023
Thank you PRHAudio for the complimentary audiobook!

Somehow I overlooked this book when I finished reading and listening to the series last year. It's good to revisit the characters again in this prequel and getting to hear Pip's dad's jokes. I loved the setting. It took some getting used to because the characters are playing a role with a new name and I'm struggling to follow who's who. Pip did a good job reminding readers who's who though. It was a good and fun prequel.

In this book, Pip and her friends got together to play a murder mystery game. The game took place in the 1920s so everyone dressed up in costumes to match the year. They done up their accents. They act in like one of the characters in the game. This game reminds me of An Unwanted Guest and And Then There Were None in a way that among everyone in the room, there's a killer hidden among all. I love this kind of book! Definitely interesting audiobook!
Profile Image for Dannii Elle.
1,966 reviews1,384 followers
September 8, 2021
This is a prequel short story to the A Good Girl's Guide to Murder series.

This series has fast become a favourite of mine and so I was delighted to find this novella, released for World Book Day. It featured the Pip that was, before solving murders and mysteries became her entire reason for existence.

The story opened and closed on the same night. Pip and her friends are playing a murder mystery game, attempting to solve which one amongst the handful gathered together were responsible for the fictional murder that had supposedly occurred. Their characters, props, clues and course of events were created by a company specialising in similar fun activities.

As the night continued and the mysteries are unpicked and unpacked, Pip proved herself observative, dogged, and possessing an ability to view things from an angle different to that of her peers. These same skills were what would see her become a successful amateur detective in the full-length series instalments.

These were not the only nod to the overarching series arc, however. I loved how every single facet here shaped all that occurred in book one and beyond. It made for a very exciting read as more reveals were made and I felt like an apprentice Pip as I attempted to puzzle them all together.
Profile Image for Ildiko Szendrei.
145 reviews103 followers
November 16, 2022
Un joc interesant de 190 de pagini în care primești un rol, fiind suspect de crimă. Trebuie să respecți niște trasee ale personajului tău, să folosești anumite replici și în același timp să deslușești cine este criminalul. Este primul "caz" pe care Pipa trebuie să îl rezolve, deși este doar un joc. Este de fapt momentul care o face să decidă că merită să înceapă o anchetă reală pe cont propriu privind o crimă comisă în comunitate.
Profile Image for adya.
152 reviews39 followers
July 14, 2021
Made for a good prequel, and relates a lot to the second book (with respect to Connor & Jeremy's family, Ant and Lauren's behavior, and obviously serves as the "origin story" for Pip's EPQ topic. It has loads of great call-backs.

I liked the ending, it was the more realistic one!
Profile Image for Seren.
31 reviews8 followers
February 19, 2021
It's only a short book much like other World Book Day releases, but I was so engrossed in it - it's taken me just over an hour to read it cover to cover.

It was quite nostalgic to read as I have been to a murder myster party too and I was exactly like Pip throughout it!

I loved seeing all the friends together and the way this was written works perfectly as a prequel.
Profile Image for Mallory.
977 reviews52 followers
January 31, 2023
This novella was the perfect prequel to this excellent young adult mystery series. I love that what inspired Pip to do her murder podcasts was a murder mystery game. The story was short (I will always want more from any good novella) full of humor and Pip’s great investigative mind. It was nice to get an early look. Pip and all of her friends haven’t really hung out recently so despite her stress over picking a topic for her senior capstone project and SAT prep she reluctantly goes to the group murder mystery party and totally enjoys herself because her brain was meant to solve murders (even made up murders).
Profile Image for Piya.
235 reviews157 followers
August 17, 2021
Who do I kill to go to a party like that? Connor, what to I pay you to invite me??

It eez Pippa and it eez a murder-mystery so of course, it was good!

it was just a game, but even so, Pip didn’t like to lose.

Obvioulsy

So Pippa and her 5 other friends are at Connor's house and they are playing a game. They are all dressed up as the characters and one of them is the killer.
The book was very short but I loved seeing Pippa again and that ending was amazing.

And I NEED As Good as Dead right now!!
Profile Image for Carrot :3.
253 reviews74 followers
December 20, 2022
3.75 stars.

This was entertaining. The story takes place before book one. Pippa and her friends play a murder mystery role play game and we get to watch along. I got heavy Knives Out vibes but it didn’t ruin the story much.
Profile Image for Nicole.
862 reviews315 followers
February 24, 2021
This was a really fun little prequel to the good girls guide to murder series

Despite this book being so short it was really jammed pack with lots of fun, action and mystery.

I thought the concept of this book was really good. It was a really fun idea.

I was hooked throughout the book, trying to solve the mystery.

This was a really fun book and it was great to get the back story to the good girls guide to murder series.

I highly recommend this book and the rest of the books in the series
Profile Image for A place called Bookland.
117 reviews2 followers
December 27, 2021
YO WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!? DAMNNNNNNNN OKKKKKKK FBHEWVUYFQCGEUWGVYUUDF

NO!! STUPID JAMIE!! I DID GUESS HALF OF PIPS GUESS THOOO!!! THAT MAKES ME HALF A GENIOUS!! XDDDDDDD

This was soooo gooodddd!! everything was just so perfect!! fuerbiuvwbqiv ekkkk

gdryd6fffctyft6dcidcri6

Please someone give Holly a medal... She deserves not one, she deserves the football World Cup renamed for her and not a football but an open book and a pen inside!! This woman is a legend I swearrrr✋🏻✋🏻✋🏻😍😍😍

5 STARS DESERVED!!
Profile Image for scl.ashx.
197 reviews145 followers
January 2, 2022
This was the perfect prequel to the murder mystery and gives us the firsthand view of Pip's Character - how her brain works and how much she hates to be wrong.

Now I gotta read the main book - really excited for it .
Profile Image for Hadewych.
226 reviews4 followers
March 4, 2021
Okay when I saw that there was a prequel of this series I just had to get it. I had high expectations because I absolutely LOVED ‘Good Girl’s Guide to Murder’ and it was one of my 2020 favorites!

I think I just had too much expectations for this book idk? The plot was original and fun and I definitely enjoyed it don’t get me wrong, I just needed something more?

I’ve also had some problems with Holly Jackson’s writing style which I also had with ‘A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder’ it just seems that I can’t read her books “smoothly”.

Anyway don’t get me wrong the plot was good and it is a fun and great addition to this series I just expected something else I guess.
Profile Image for ✿ jess ✿.
166 reviews15 followers
January 11, 2023
a super short read but i loved this little insight into pip and her friends before the agggtm world began !!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,588 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.