Start by marking “Rachel to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Rachel to the Rescue

Rachel to the Rescue

Kindle Edition
Published October 16th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Rachel to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel to the Rescue

Start your review of Rachel to the Rescue
Larry H
Nov 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
3.5 stars.

Well, you knew the novels about working in the Trump White House were imminent. And with Elinor Lipman's Rachel to the Rescue , the game is underway!

Rachel Klein has a job at the Trump White House, where she essentially has to scotch tape all of the letters and documents the president tears up. She's not too fond of her job. One night she sends an email to a colleague in which she complains and insults the president. But of course, instead of simply replying to his email, she hits “
Jill Meyer
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay! Elinor Lipman has a new novel out! “Rachel to the Rescue” was released with little fanfare and is the first Covid and anti-Trump novel I’ve seen so far.

Elinor Lipman is my favorite contemporary novelist. She’s written 12 or so novels over the past 30 or so years, and most have been very good. (Her latest one before this - “Good Riddance” - was terrible, for an Elinor Lipman book, but she’s bounced back with “Rachel to the Rescue”.) Lipman has the unique ability to make all her characters
JoAnn
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2021
3.5 / 5 stars

A quick, fun read! Leave it to Elinor Lipman to write the first Covid, anti-Trump novel. Many more will surely follow.
CW Howell
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anything by Elinor Lipman is worth your time. This Trump-era satire is just what is needed in a time of Washington chaos.
Sheila Lent
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Elinor Lipman. Rachel was a fun, witty character. Thanks Ms Lipman for all of your works. They keep me smiling and hopeful. This one was especially fun for its spin on current events.
Diane Wilkes
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I adore Elinor Lipman, and it doesn't hurt that we share a Jewish heritage and progressive politics, especially with Rachel to the Rescue, a slight but pleasurable effort. The book is short and topical; Rachel Klein has a job with the Trump WH, taping together the papers he constantly rips up, despite that being illegal for a President to do. (And despite Trump claiming (falsely, surprise, surprise) that Nancy Pelosi's public ripping of his SOTU speech "could be illegal.")

One fine day, Rachel gr
DonnaMaria
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
ʀᴀᴄʜᴇʟ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇꜱᴄᴜᴇ - REVIEW

Duke University graduate Rachel Klein, finds herself working in the Trump White House Office of Records Management, or as she calls it the "scotch tape squad," literally taping documents back together after the current resident of the Oval Office has torn them asunder.

Accidentally shooting off a email, to the entire WH staff, that speaks critically of Trump, Rachel is immediately fired and escorted out of the building. Her next memory is that of waking up in a hosp
Anita
Jan 14, 2021 rated it liked it
This was a light & breezy read. Rachel Klein is fired from her White House job (scotch-taping President Trump’s correspondence after her rips them up) after she sends a funny, sarcastic email to her WH co-worker but hits “reply all” by mistake. Nothing heavy here; the story arc didn’t have as much focus as hoped. Still, this is the first book I’ve read that has the Coronavirus pandemic included in its storyline, so that was interesting.

Memorable passages:

“The president’s unofficial ‘filing syst
Susie Williams
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(thank you to the publisher for my copy of this book!)

I'll read anything Elinor Lipman writes, so I was very happy to receive a copy of her newest book, Rachel to the Rescue. I feel like the book hasn't gotten as much publicity as Lipman's previous books, which is a shame! It was actually published in the UK because it’s a satire on US Politics and the Trump administration and publishers in America assumed we all have Trump fatigue and wouldn’t want to read it. And while they’re kind of right an
Cathy Kinn
Fun...and light.
Karen Mace
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Elinor Lipman book and it won't be my last! This was such an enjoyable, funny and cutting book humour wise that I looked forward to picking it up everyday to see just what the main character was going to have to endure after her accident upon leaving the White House where she briefly worked for 'that' man! Until she sends a ranty email his way!!

When she starts receiving flowers from the presidents' own family when she wakes up in hospital this starts her off on a complete life change a
Jane Turner
Lightning Books sent me a free copy of Rachel to the Rescue by Elinor Lipman to review (thanks Scott!). Rachel to the Rescue was published on 16 October 2020.

America didn’t want to publish this. Not sure why – I think it’s comedy gold. And might just be accurate!

It’s been reported in the press that Donald Trump has a habit of tearing up documents when he’s finished reading them. Now, you can’t do that if you’re president – the Archive needs to keep every single document. And it’s Rachel’s job to
Amy
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novel by best-selling author Elinor Lipman was published by Lightning Books out of the UK because American publishers thought their readers might have Trump fatigue. In reality, the story is much less about Trump and much more about its heroine Rachel Klien and her ability to deal with her ever-changing circumstances. Those circumstances were set in motion when she inadvertently hit "send all" on an email criticizing Donald Trump and therefore lost her job of taping up his torn documents so ...more
Lee Woodruff
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lipman has long been one of my favorite writers, and if you’ve not read “The Inn at Lake Devine,” put that one on your list. She turns her wit on Washington’s political scene, where protagonist Rachel works at the White House Office of Records Management, taping together ripped up letters to preserve for the presidency. Fired for sending an email critical of the president, she is hit by a car driven by a “close friend of the president.” The rest of the story unfolds in true Lipman adorable madca ...more
Emma M.
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a read that I will likely need to pick up again in the future as I may not have been completely ready for this one, emotionally speaking. While this is technically fiction, so many of the events that took place had me taking the occasional Google break to double-check the fictionality of it all. After witnessing so much absurdity over the past 4 years many of the events in this plot would not have surprised me in the least.

Rachel to the Rescue is a funny read overall, but not quite an e
Sarah Elizabeth
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was fine, but didn’t feel particularly memorable or special. It had engaging character work, but no true plot movement and the characters didn’t really progress forward.

What was fun, was looking at a fictional version of a Trump White House where Melania left him and his affair was exposed. The best part for me was the roommates and the boyfriend, everything else felt rather dull or predictable and not very captivating.

This book can pass the time, but there are so many better books out
Darla Rennegarbe
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was overjoyed when Julia from Wunderbooks PR reached out to me on ELECTION DAY about reading and reviewing this book.

I am a big fan of Elinor Lipman and when I read the synopsis I couldn't download fast enough. This was just what I needed to distract myself from the agonizing wait for post election news.

Let me be clear...IF you support President Trump and his administration, I'm going to guess you won't find this book enjoyable. On the other hand, if you are ready for Trump to vacate the Whi
L Frances
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is so confusing because it’s so fun at the start, the main character is really interesting and likeable. But then half way through the plot just falls away. There is no point in Rachel being run over, the character keeps refusing to do anything interesting like break the story of the president’s affair or go on TV and all she does is sit around complaining about her boss. The love story feels squashed in, I was much more interested in what she was going to do about being run over, but ...more
Becca
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful novel of the typical literary delight that only Elinor Lipman can deliver! The characters were equally enjoyable and developed, each with their own quirks. I loved watching Rachel’s story unfold - I’m only sad that it’s over.
Howard Rogers
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Elinor Lipman writes a funny and charming book. This one integrates some current events that surround Rachel, who gets fired by the White House and hit by a car in the first part of the book. May be my favorite, overtaking The Inn at Lake Devine.
Laurel
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly Enjoyable

A delightful read for the day before the election. Love all of Elinor Lipman's books but this one was a timely and charming glimpse of modern day life and very amusing.
Nicholas Brown
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Fun novel for the moment and perfect vacation read. Rom com almost-mystery in which some of the 45 drama we all know is happening actually comes into fruition (#freeMelania). Reflection of the absurdity of living in DC in 2020.
Sally Koslow
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sharp and funny, as Elinor Lipman's books always are. ...more
MB (What she read)
Ooooh, sounds intriguing...
Katie Bruell
Nov 14, 2020 rated it liked it
3.75? 3.5? This was a very fun read, as is everything by Elinor Lipman!
Beth
Nov 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am very disappointed.

I was a big fan of the author until I read this one. I thought MS. Lipman was above cheap shots. Her formula is getting stale.

Not up to the author's usual standards.
Boring.
Lorri Steinbacher
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
The book creates a funny and believable scenario about the Tr*mp White House, but this is at its core a lighthearted romance.

Good for a chuckle.
Meghan Moore
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
Not at all what I thought it would be. Don’t waste your time.
Sally Stieglitz
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You can’t ask for more than timely gentle humor to get you through the stress of our times. As always, Lipman writes with charm and wisdom.
julia
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charming and fun, but most of all hopeful!

• All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • The Kizuna Coast (Rei Shimura Mystery, #11)
  • Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump
  • A Girl Is a Body of Water
  • Musical Chairs
  • Payback
  • Friends and Strangers
  • Nick
  • The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope, #9)
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur #1)
  • Private Means
  • Cobble Hill
  • A Good Family
  • The Lying Life of Adults
  • Say Goodbye for Now
  • Shelter in Place
  • A Single Swallow
  • Snow (St. John Strafford, #1)
Elinor Lipman is the author of 11 humorous novels about contemporary American society; essay and short story collections, and a book of rhyming political tweets.. Born and raised in Lowell, Massachusetts, she graduated from Simmons College where she studied journalism. She lives in Manhattan, and received the New England Book award for fiction in 2001. Her first novel, "Then She Found Me," was ada ...more