Start by marking “Kill the Possum” as Want to Read:

Kill the Possum

Dylan saw Cartwright do it with his own eyes when he blundered into Kirsty’s house on that first Sunday.

On the second Sunday he saw only the carnage the man had left behind, but that was enough.

By the third Sunday, he’d decided to kill him. What else can he do when the lives of the people he cares about are at stake?

Look at Kirsty’s brother, Tim, the way he punishes him
Published 2008 by Penguin Group Australia

To ask other readers questions about Kill the Possum, please sign up.
Lara
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Amanda
I've given this 1 star, but if I could, I'd give it minus 100.

Sometimes books make me mad. Usually I am lucky and I read good book after good book, but this book really struck a nerve with me and I found it infuriating. Maybe the title should have been a giant warning to me, but the blurb makes no mention of the sub-plot. Also, I really didn't think this YA book would involve a teenager killing an animal.

I am going to spoil the shiitake out of this book, but that’s because I do not recommend tha
L.E. Truscott
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was in the middle of reading another book – a long, dense, important but mentally draining book – and decided to take a break and read Kill the Possum, knowing it would be a shorter read, something I could get through quickly. But if I was hoping for an easy read, I was sorely disappointed. This was a hard book to read. Not because of the writing but because of the story. This is every blended family teenager’s worst nightmare.

Dylan Kane is fifteen and has a crush on Kirsty Beal. They’ve been
Katherine
RATING: 3 Out Of 5
Grace Backler
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this book was in late primary school and was one of the first literary insights I had into domestic abuse at a time when my best friend was being abused by her father. The first time I read this, I did a lot of crying throughout the book. This time, I didn’t cry until the very end.

A book that explores the naivety of those who are fortunate enough to not live in an abusive world, Kill the Possum will break your heart at the same time that it gives you hope that the cycle of
Crystal
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Anica
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Haunting and eye-opening.
Lana
Mar 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Honestly nothing has ever triggered me as much as this book did...
Ella
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: late adolescence/adult
The book Kill the Possum by James Moloney was definitely a worthwhile read. It left an impression on me because it showed the reality of the character’s lives and domestic violence, and the impact it has on people involved emotionally and physically. Written from an adolescent perspective of what is happening to them and the struggle their family goes through, it would be ideal from mid to late adolescence to adult readers.

My first impression reading the book, I had a fairly good idea of what it
Komal
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because another student in my class recommended it. This novel is a very dramatic, tension filled and hopeless type of novel which is why I only rated it three stars. Im more into thrillers not sad and soppy things...
Anyway, a character that stood out for me in this novel was Ian Cartwright. He is a preposterous man, I couldn't stand reading about him and to be quite honest I'm glad his fate in the story ended up how it did. Ian came off as a nice and charming gentle
Jen
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teenage, australian
Kill the possum is James Moloney at his best. I listened to the hear a book version of this CBC nominated book and was gripped immediately by the drama and impending terror of the story. The Beal family, mother, Tim and Kirsty are threatened by their ex-stepfather, Ian, who is an intimidating and violent man, who dominates his estranged wife and her children in the most horrific ways possible. He uses his psychological threats to cause trauma for the mother, reduces Tim to a stuttering wreck and ...more
Quoc
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Moloney really writes to engage the youth audience. When I looked at the cover, I thought it would be a hardcore thriller that would knock your socks off or something like that. The story itself wasn't like what I expected but a compelling read.

It's about a boy name Dylan Kane who witnesses and sees abuse within his girlfriend's Kristy home. From this incident, the story revolves around this concept and a menace psycho, who turns out to be the father. Dylan attempts to try to stop the matter fr
Emily
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is not what you expect it to be. It's not about killing possums or killing any sort of animal, but paying back a man who has mentally, emotionally and physically abused and tortured his family. Dylan is a sixteen year old, nerdy teenager who starts to date one of the most popular, beautiful girls in the grade. He then finds out that her step-dad tortures her family mentally, emotionally and physically on an unexpected visit to her house.

The title is more understanding once you read th
Noppie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book made me very suspensed and had a great mystery line to it. Although I would not reccommend this book because it would not get straight to the point and would go on and on about the boring stuff, so it was hard for me to read it as it was not very interesting. The only good part was near the end because it contained the sequence of adventure. So overall, I think the plot of the beginning was to over expressed and I thought other books by James Maloney were way better. But if you do like ...more
Hannah Reed
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book; it's written well, it's creepy and it's a quick and easy book to read.

The reason this book is creepy is because it's so realistic. I could see every event in this book happening in real life, which is terrifying because this is not a nice book. It contains an absolutely vile character who made my skin crawl, and some kids who acted stupidly and irrationally, but not unrealistically.

I also love how this was written, it wasn't overloaded with description and yet I still
Bella Bateman
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Would have preferred to give this 3.5 stars but there wasn't the option. Kill the possum is a heart breaking story with a very interesting narrative and flow. Though i found some of the overall story arc disappointing (as they were quite different to what i had expected) the characters and the treatment of the themes in the story were so eloquently put together that i didn't really mind. A very dark and interesting story
Bianca D.
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a really good book. I came to reading this because the title really interested me and got me saying "Well this is not a title that you see everyday. I think I'll try it." Don't worry the whole book isn't about killing possums. I don't really want to say why the title is that because it means that I will have to tell you the ending so you should read the book. It is a really good one that I enjoyed a lot.
Bree-anne
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
James Monoloney has won over me once again first with silvermay and now kill the possum. It was a great book i like how on the back of the book it makes you think that the book is about something supernatural, but really it is just about an abusive man. I also love how James kept changing the character to keep the book in first person.
Heather
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those fabulous gritty books that captures you from the first page - I just couldn't put it down. It deals with some heavy issues such as emotional and psychological abuse, and raises the question 'Is murder ever justifiable?" A worthy contender for CBCA Book of the Year: Older Readers - it has my vote!
Jamie-lea
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought the book was really boring in the beginig but i liked alot more when it got more interesting i loved the book i hope u loved it to. To me i loved the part at the end.

Katie
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a disturbing book about a family ruined by just one mans cruelty
This shows the reality of the extent to which someone can affect another person...Tim is probably going to have psychological issues for a long time...Kirsty will never get to live her life...Dylan will remember what happened until the day he dies...
All these things can never be undone...
claire
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eerily amazing and original. James Moloney arrested me with Kill the Possum. His manoeuvre of the development of his characters and plot was masterful and the gruesome capture of man's nature when pushed to the limits left me fascinated. The way he wrote man's self-afflicted downward spiral into 'madness'- I was unable to tear myself away.
Holly Burchell
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is very exciting, from the very start to the very end, wondering what is going to happen next, every next page getting more and more intimate and exciting, this book has
-the donomate male
-fear of the sexual assualt
_fear of the law (semi)
and many more gothis features and structure :)
i give this book 4 out 5 stars i very much enjoyed it :)....
Clare Snow
Heart wrenching. I think everyone should read it for the insights into the boys’ feelings of impotence in the face of violence in their home. The ending was a real jolt, not at all what you expect or want for the characters. Make sure you’re in a good mood before you read this.
Leah
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I chose this book to read for a school assignment.
This book was not what I expected.
There were a few rather confronting and even triggering scenes throughout. Although I do believe it was fairly well written, it is definitely not for the faint of heart.
Donna
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this to have a look at what sort of books are interesting my 15 year old son. Its a quirky, thoughtful story - a little bit shocking in parts - I can see why he liked it.
Lily Zheng
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, there was some intense drama in this and my curiosity for an explanation kept me reading till the end.
Tori
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A small hidden spoiler: This book made me cry so much at the end I knew something was up when the lawyer said.... Kirsty WAS your girlfriend, instead of IS
Madii
Feb 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
it was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chloe Harcourt
last page (the newspaper article) made me cry the most wOoPS
Emily
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was ok, my school librarian reccommended it to me. I liked the format of it, the story was ok but it dragged on for too long and the story wasn't god enough to be that good.

• Apartment 255
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Pieces of my Heart
  • Halo
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • The Whisperer
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • The Silver Donkey
  • Girl Stuff: Your Full On Guide To The Teen Years
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Love Lessons
  • Running Wild
  • Speak No Evil (Gifted, #6)
  • Shift
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
My full name is James Francis Moloney and I was born in Sydney, Australia on 20 September, 1954. When I was seven years old, my family moved to Brisbane and except for the odd year or two, I have lived in Brisbane ever since. At school, I was into every sport going - cricket, footy, swimming - you name it. It's hard to believe now but in High School, I was a champion Long Jumper! After University ...more
“When you're five years old, trust is another name for love.” 1 likes