Start by marking “Wild Animals I Have Known” as Want to Read:
Wild Animals I Have Known

Wild Animals I Have Known

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  770 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
A stirring account of the lives of eight wild animals, including Lobo, the king of Currumpaw; Silverspot, the story of a crow; Raggylug, the story of a cottontail rabbit; Bingo, the story of a dog; the Springfield fox; the pacing mustang; Wully, the story of a yaller dog; and Redruff, the story of the Don valley partridge.
Published March 8th 2007 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Animals I Have Known, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Animals I Have Known

Phoenix2
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: classicals fans, teens, kids
Shelves: classics
This was a gift from my teachers when I finished elementary school. It's a nice read, full of natural scenes, stories about animals and the relationship of the humans with them. Some of them are sad, some of them touching, but all of them interesting.
Abigail Hilton
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I discovered a battered copy of this book in my school library when I was about 10. I found it very...affecting. The book made me angry and sad, but I would return to it over and over as a sort of cathartic. I was not the sort of kid who cried at books or movies, but this book made me cry. I know it affected my writing for a long time, perhaps to this day.
CHERRY
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
A must-read.

Sir David Attenborough wrote, in his forward for Seton's biography Ernest Thompson Seton: The Life and Legacy of an Artist and Conservationist, "I was given a copy of Wild Animals I Have Known when I was eight. I still have it. It was the most precious book of my childhood. I knew very well that the man who wrote it understood the animals he was writing about with an intimacy, perception, and sympathy that was not equaled by any other author that I had read."
Julia
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, animal-fiction
I really can't say whether I liked this book or not since there were some stories that I thought were decent while in others the author was quite hypocritical. And yet at the same time he was hypocritical he was showing the views that people, especially outdoorsmen had at that time, around particular types of creatures, especially those of the canine family.

The writing was decent but didn't quite catch the attention so it was a mediocre read. There are definitely no really rough words to under
Teresa Thompson Arcangel
I was first introduced to this book more than 50 years ago. My parents and my older sister read the stories to me until I was able to read them myself. I especially loved the legends of Lobo, King of the Carrumpaw, and of The Pacing Stallion. When my family acquired a German Shepherd puppy, we named him, "Lobo". About 10 years ago I found a 1926 hard copy of the book that looked like the one I'd loved as a child. I was thrilled to purchase it! I've recently purchased an mp3 of the audio edition, ...more
Tracey
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncl
I was somewhat disappointed by this book but regardless, it was still a good insight into the natural animal world in parts of Canada 100 years ago. The author had a real talent for observation of the animals he came to 'know' and described what seems like commonplace animal activities, to be activities with real meaning to the creatures and their life. Social order, communication and bonds were seen and recorded.
Jennie
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this aloud to my twins when they were in fifth grade. It somehow evokes a pathos for the plight of wild creatures without being sentimental or preachy. Each story is plainly told with detailed realism. My son, now in ninth grade, just picked it up and read it again on his own. I believe it has contributed to his love of nature.
Rosemarie
Parts of this book were very interesting, especially the segments dealing with urban wildlife in early 20th century Toronto. The two segments set in the western part of North America were violent and disturbing at times, especially when depicting the cruelty of the ranchers towards wolves.
Lorelei
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A wonderful book. These are not Disney stories, but real stories of amazing animals by someone who cared enough to pay attention to real animals and what they are like. Some of the tales are heartbreaking. I think they are all beautiful.
Lê Phong
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great observation, understanding and passion for animal kingdom
The Library Lived In: Wild Animals I Have Known - Sep 2017 1 3 Aug 16, 2017 09:58PM
I known happiness actually started 1 2 Sep 17, 2015 10:49PM
  • Outlaw Red
  • The Hidden Life of Deer: Lessons from the Natural World
  • Thomasina
  • The Little Lame Prince
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo ...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...
“Next day on returning I found him dead in the snow with his head on the sill of the door—the door of his puppyhood's days; my dog to the last in his heart of hearts—it was my help he sought, and vainly sought, in the hour of his bitter extremity.” 3 likes