Start by marking “That Promise (That Boy, #7)” as Want to Read:
That Promise (That Boy, #7)

That Promise

(That Boy #7)

What happens to childhood promises when you grow up?

Growing up, Devaney Diamond and Chase Mackenzie promised to go to college together. But it’s been two years since the summer that changed everything between them, and their friendship hasn’t recovered.

Now, Dani is faced with all the challenges of her freshman year of college—navigating rush week, making new friends, and l
Published June 8th 2021 by Swoonworthy Books

To ask other readers questions about That Promise, please sign up.
Taylore That would only make sense otherwise you wouldn't know what's going on.…moreThat would only make sense otherwise you wouldn't know what's going on.(less)

Start your review of That Promise (That Boy, #7)
Christy
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars

001(66)

After reading That Summer last year I was so ready to get more from Chase and Devaney. Things have been strained between these two since the fall out. Now Devaney is getting ready for her first year at college and Chase is starting his senior year and they find a way to become friends again.

I love friends to lovers stories so much. Especially when a couple has been lifelong friends. Dani and Chase both love each other so much, but it's hard to deal with a love that big at that age w
Jillian Dodd
Jun 07, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
“I heard you’re in trouble,” Dani says, startling me when I enter my room. She’s lying on her stomach sideways across my bed like she owns it. Her elbows are on the mattress, her chin nestled on her fist. Her knees bent and her feet up in the air. I could be eight or eighteen. It’s like a moment wrapped in time.
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
Is there anything better than reading a new story in a favorite series? I never have to re-read anything beforehand to remind myself what happened in the last book because the characters are so ingrained in my mind. Being with the Diamond and Mackenzie families is like sinking into my favourite chair in a cosy lounge by the fire, it’s so comforting and familiar.

That Promise is the continuation of Chase & Dani’s story after things were left up in the air at the end of That Summer. Teenage angst c
Anne OK

I hate to say it, but I was really disappointed with "That Promise." Dani was very unlikable in this installment treating Chase like second-rate. Her whining and daily pity-parties got old real fast. I love this family and have enjoyed this series, but I'm also really ready to let Danny Diamond stand aside and give the next generation centerstage to tell their stories without so many interruptions from mom and dad's regurgitation of the past. And I'm also seriously sick of reading about the priv
Brittany (happy.ending.always)
Tears! So many tears! What a rollercoaster of emotions this book just took me on! Literally I cried so many tears reading this book. Heck, I’m sobbing writing this. First off, Jillian Dodd’s writing is phenomenal! She knows how to pull at your heartstrings. I have been a huge fan of hers ever since I read the first book “That Boy,” which is the parents, Jadyn, Phillip and Danny. If you haven’t read those books, they are absolute must reads!!! I love when books continue on in their story, you get ...more
Hope Vollm
I love Dani and Chase so much. I have been rooting for them since BEFORE their first book.

This book is a ride. I got so excited then my little heart got broken so many times. I love how much of a roller coaster of emotions I have reading Jillian Dodd's books. But all of the characters are so lovable that I end up not being able to put them down even in the parts that I am sad.

One of the things I really enjoyed is how real and flawed Dani is. She struggles with what other people think of her and
Shelly
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First...if you have not read That Summer, you MUST do that before starting this book (even though this is book #7 in a series, you only need to read book #6 followed by this one). Now, if you are caught up...how much do we LOVE Chase and Dani! Jillian Dodd writes teenaged angst and love like no other! This story is filled with drama, football, family, friends and love.
Lynn Forde
I am conflicted on my rating because I enjoyed everything Dani and Chase but what really lowered my rating is the focus on the parents story and the flashbacks.

This book covers a 3-4 month time period and honestly I wish it was set over more time. So much happened in such a short amount of time to the point where it felt a little unrealistic which is honestly okay with me more often than not. But with the constant talk of the mom and dads relationship and the parallels between them and their chi
Katie Prouty
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
"I want the kind of love worth fighting for, Dani, and I wish with all my heart that this were us for real."

A few summers ago, on a family trip to the Ozark's, Chase and Dani went from being childhood BFF's to something much more. Before it got all screwed up. That Promise will have readers hearts beating out of their chests! Tears will be POURING down your cheeks. I ADORE Chase and Dani! They're like...

and like...

Overall Rating 4.5
Kindle eArc provided by Author

Ella's Bookshelf
Chase & Dani (Book 2)

It's been two years since That Summer . The summer in the Ozarks. The summer that Chase and Dani stopped being just best friends who kiss. The summer that Chase became Dani's everything. The summer that Dani and Chase stopped being friends.

Dani is off to college and Chase is a senior in High School. She's settling in at school and rushing sororities. He's leading the football team to the state championship and choosing colleges. They are both trying to move on but their l
Erica
Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a TRAGIC ending to their budding romantic relationship after a lifetime of friendship, Dani and Chase continue to be in love with each other, yet too emotionally scared by the other to mend their fractured relationship. Not able to be apart from each other another minute, they decide to be in the weird limbo of friends with benefits, which is always a bad idea...or is it? This entire book is a coming of age from a friendship to a romantic relationship, overcoming past hurts and lost dreams ...more
Darcy
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favourite book in the series so far! (I know, I think that every time a new book is released.) But for real this time!!!
This book begins with Devaney getting ready to head to college and Chase in his Senior year of high school, trying to decide which college would be the right choice for him to sign with. They still haven’t talked much since That Summer, and are both miserable for it.
Throughout this book, Chase and Dani are trying work out their problems and put aside their
Jen Zingaro
Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so many different feelings about this book....
First off, Chase is so dreamy. Such a loyal, sweet, amazing guy with integrity in spades. He is a model for all the other book boyfriends out there to aspire to.
And as much as I love him.... He and Dani drove me absolutely bonkers. At certain times they could be so grown up and other times act like such children. BUT, I have my own teenager so I get it and it makes so much sense. I wanted to throw my kindle a couple times. Certain parts were li
Jaxi Martin
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You guys.. this series! It is truly one of a kind! Something that reels you in && keeps you along for the ride. Jillian writes is a book for this series once a year, and every year I devour it in a day.

Chase && Devaney left us in our feels at the end of That Summer && I’m not gonna lie, I was scared to start this one. But it was so worth it! I loved getting to go through rush week with Dani && getting to experience Chase’s senior year. The reconnection these too make is everything I wanted and n
Kristina Maysonet
I had a feeling this book was going to wreck me and I was right. So many emotions, mostly anger, sadness and excitement. I don’t know how Jillian Dodd does it but every time I read her books, I get more emotionally invested than with any other book I read. This is Dani & Chase’s 2nd book, but the 7th book in the series. The 1st book ends with Dani & Chase no longer together and no longer friends, and this book picks up 2 years later with Dani going off to college. This book has many ups and down ...more
Robin Powers
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better and better. Chase and Dani are destined to be together...but only if they can put aside hurt feelings and focus on putting each other first. Lots of angst on their journey with Chase dating Lacey and Dani away at college. I love the teen emotions, the nurturing parental advice and the innocence in discovering all of the firsts. First time away from home. First love. First time choosing people you want to surround yourself with. All of it...the growth and maturity of ...more
Emily Butler
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I love this series so much. Chase and Dani’s story is a series of ups and downs. That Promise gave me so many emotions. There were laughs and smiles while reading but also angst and sadness. Both Chase and Dani have done some growing up but has it been enough to finally come together? I liked getting to know a new character Pace, who is on the football team with Chase and Damon. Another character revealed more in this story was Lacey. This entire series focuses on the friendships between th ...more
Gabi Barbosa
I hate Dani so much, She is the worst heroine I ever read, and I read a lot o bad books.
Chase, be less stupid, PLEASE, she doesn't want you, idiot.
He is like, "Dany I love more than anything, I want forever, our dream", and her response is " It's just sex, friends with benefits, because I'm 5 months older and am ashamed of dating you. But you're hot, lets kiss more."
I vomited when the book ended, it made me sick.
Jillian Dodd got to make someone worst than Jadyn.
BookLove with Renee
That Promise • That Boy series - Book 7
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
@jilliandodd

Oh my goodness- this book! I’m honestly speechless. The families that make up this series feel like my family too & reading their stories always gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Chase and Dani’s story has been an emotional roller coaster. “Watching” them grow from babies and seeing their love unfold has been so much fun. Who knew fictional characters could worm their way into your heart like this?!

This book made me laugh, cry (both happy &
Kim
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jillian has such a way with words that just pull you into her stories.

Who doesn't love a story that involves college, football and the boy next door! This book is filled with so many emotions and it's one heck of a rollercoaster ride. I love the dynamic between Dani and Chase. I'm look forward to see where their future heads.
Reyna LeJeune
Jun 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meghan
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, is all I can say. There isn’t a single part of this book that won’t pull on your nostalgic heart strings. I felt like I was right back at the end of high school/beginning of college with all the nerves and excitement surrounding that transition. Chase and Devany were written in the stars just like Phillip and Jayden. Iis so heart warming to see our favorite characters parents and still feel the love that they share. Devany does a lot of growing up in this book and I will be anxiously awaiti ...more
Ashlyn Powell
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There aren’t enough stars in the galaxy to rate this book.

I loved it so damn much, y’all. That Promise was hands down my most anticipated release of 2021. The wait was torture but oh so worth it!!

That Promise had so many absolutely SWOONFEST moments. I just want to relive them all again already. Chase & Dani have a chemistry that could set this world on fire, if only love were that easy for these two. There seems to always be something in their way.

That Summer ripped my heart apart. But I ass
Trisha Sony
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another great book in the series. After the prior book’s cliffhanger of an ending, That Promise picks right back up. Dani is a freshman in college and Chase is a senior in high school. That dynamic alone is enough to cause friction in this young relationship. There were a couple of points where I wanted to shake one character or another for poor choices. I liked that this book ended on a happy note, although the story will still continue in this series.
Mykayla Wilson
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book!!!! My feelings have feelings (insert quote from The Keatyn Chronicles. ) Danni and Chases story is so complicated and yet could easily be simple.
We have the right amount of drama,finding ourselves and most importantly love.
Chase faces a decision on where to go to college. Will it be the one he has always dreamed and promised with the group or does he decide to take a different opportunity.
This book was so exciting and page turner. Go live it up with Diamonds and Mackenzie once agai
Michelle Butler
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was had me on an emotional roller coaster. I cried, I laughed and all the feelings in between. I love the evolution of the 4 kids and how their relationships have grown. I can’t wait to see what happens to them all. ❤️
Beth Knight
Shelves: arc
I love this series so much! This one is so good, it isn't all sunshine and rainbows between Chase and Dani and I love that about it. The growth of these two characters is awesome to see and, of course, I can't wait for That Forever! Side note.. I really want Haley and Damon to date😍 ...more
Karen
Jun 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love this world and this series. I will read anything and everything set in this world. These characters are my favorite.
Ann Turner
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Obsessed 😍

Love this series so much!!! Words don’t describe how happy my heart is knowing it will be a movie soon!!! If you love Hallmark movies you will love this book series! 5.0
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hard Code
  • For All She Knows (Potomac Point, #3)
  • Layla
  • Sweet Nothing
  • A Beautiful Funeral (The Maddox Brothers, #5)
  • Heart Bones
  • Irresistible (Cloverleigh Farms, #1)
  • We Were Once
  • All the Little Lights
  • From Here to You (Crash and Burn, #1)
  • The Perfect Child
  • The Dead Daughter (Lee Callaway #1)
  • Too Late
  • Never Never: The Complete Series (Never Never, #1-3)
  • The Girl in Seat 24B
  • Snowed In at the Archive
  • Falling for Your Boss (Love Clichés, #2)
  • Falling for Your Best Friend's Twin (Love Clichés, #1)
Jillian Dodd is a USA Today and Amazon Top 10 Bestselling Author. She writes fun binge-able romance series with characters her readers fall in love with—from the boy next door in the That Boy series to the daughter of a famous actress in The Keatyn Chronicles to a spy who might save the world in the Spy Girl series. Her newest series include London Prep, a prep school series about a drama filled ...more

That Boy (7 books)
  • That Boy (That Boy, #1)
  • That Wedding (That Boy, #2)
  • That Baby (That Boy, #3)
  • That Love (That Boy, #4)
  • That Ring (That Boy, #5)
  • That Summer (That Boy, #6)

News & Interviews

“I had a meltdown over a pair of shoes,” I admit, trying to lighten the mood.” 0 likes