Start by marking “Prom Nights from Hell” as Want to Read:
Prom Nights from Hell

Prom Nights from Hell

(Short Stories from Hell)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  18,834 ratings  ·  1,253 reviews
In this exciting collection, bestselling authors Meg Cabot (How to Be Popular), Kim Harrison (A Fistful of Charms), Michele Jaffe (Bad Kitty), Stephenie Meyer (Twilight), and Lauren Myracle (ttyl) take bad prom nights to a whole new level--a paranormally bad level. Wardrobe malfunctions and two left feet don't hold a candle to discovering your date is the Grim Reaper--and ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Prom Nights from Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prom Nights from Hell

·  18,834 ratings  ·  1,253 reviews

Start your review of Prom Nights from Hell
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

What do you get when five great authors come together to create a paranormal prom anthology? In a word - greatness!

Meg Cabot starts off the collection with THE EXTERMINATOR'S DAUGHTER. When Mary shows up at Swig, an exclusive VIP club in Manhattan, it's not to socialize. No, she's on a mission to take out Sebastian Drake -- and by take out, I mean kill him with a crossbow. But when Adam, a fellow student at Saint Eligius, takes his own potshots at the dreaded
Aisyah ♡
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought this book on impulse years ago because it has stories written by some of my favorite authors (at that time). The book looked interesting enough, and I thought why not give it a try. (Ok I lied, it was because my 14-year old self was obsessed with Twilight and wanted to read more of Stephenie Meyer's work).

Here's my review of a book that contains five short stories by famous and up-and-coming authors when Stephenie Meyer rules the bestseller list.

*drum rolls*

The Exterminator's Daught
Lynchan
Sandy
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This book is five prom stories by five authors.

The Exterminator's Daughter by Meg Cabot ***
This story is about a girl who is hunting and trying to kill the vampire that turned her mother. The chapters alternate back and forth in the point of view of Mary and Adam.
I liked this story right away because it has a character named Sebastian. (My son's name.) But, I quickly became frusterated with the amount of times Meg used the word 'well'.
~I'm reading along and, well, there's another one. I get b
Mina
Mar 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: anthology, romance
What happens when fairly good YA authors try to write a collection of short stories together?
100% chance of Bad books. The cover is a big plus though, that rose is gorgeous.

And I just get so happy when I manage to track one down... it gets my hopes up. There are reasons books are hard to find

"Hell on earth" - No characterization at all: What we know Sheba->demon Gabe & Christen-sen(I'll give you this-it's indirect-still genes), half-angel ->the conclusion? Genes drew them together, you know? Lik
Angela
Disappointing stories with no endings

PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL is an anthology composed of five paranormal romances from five young adult authors: Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe, Stephenie Meyer, and Lauren Myracle. I picked this up after reading the sister anthology, Love Is Hell, which I enjoyed a great deal. Unfortunately, as a short story collection about paranormal romance and the prom, this compilation fell short.

Of the stories, only one contained a complete story arc from beginning t
Julianna
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of YA Paranormal Fantasy Anthologies or Fans of Any of the Authors
Reviewed for THC Reviews
*newest review for this anthology
"3.5 stars" Overall
I picked up this anthology mainly for the Stephanie Meyer story, because I’m a big fan. I thought that it was a collection of YA paranormal romance stories. However, for the most part, they only have a touch of romance in them if any at all and those that do are pretty open-ended rather than having an HEA. Instead these stories are a mixture of speculative fiction from urban fantasy to horror.

The Exterminator’s Daught
Brigid ✩
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i really luv this book! all the stories are really great... some are funny, others will scare you to death. it's terrifyingly awesome!!! ...more
Francisca
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I
Jen
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Prom Nights from Hell" (yet another of my book bazaar finds) had five short stories from five different authors. I'm often hesitant to buy a collection like this because it tends to 1) end too abruptly, leaving you wondering what the heck will happen next or 2) is a novella connected to an on-going series by the author. Still, I went ahead and bought the book, anchoring my hopes on the names of Meg Cabot and Stephenie Meyer.

Of the five shorts, my favorite was Michelle Jaffe's "Kiss and Tell". N
Hadia
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Only liked 3 stories out of the 5, hence, 3 stars.

I was very nervous to read something from the author of my favourite paranormal series's author, Stephenie Meyer, but thanks be to God I really liked it! It was a take on demons and angels and I was pleasantly surprised by the story. And because a lot of people read it for Stephenie Meyer, her story was the last one! (Sad)

The second story I liked was The Corsage by Lauren Myracle. It had nice touch of fortune telling and a tinsy bit similarity to
Elizabeth Wallace
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Exterminator's Daughter: Whoa, can you say unsuspenseful?! Meg Cabot, if you can't write a story with an actual problem, just don't write in a book called Prom Nights from Hell! And the plot was so recycled. Girl has a problem, girl is a tough girl, guy gets involved, nothing seems like it will work out, voila it does. Sooo expected. And at the end, they're all like "oh, Dracula, no big deal now I'm in love!". And I thought other Meg books were bad! (no offense to Avalon High)

The Corsage: Ah
Jennica
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Jennica Munden
Short Stories
Critical analysis: It is an irrational collection of tales that will draw you in if you are interested in the kinds of literature produced by these authors, or if you are already a fan of these authors. However, if you have no interest in strange tales about youths trying to be normal prom dates while having to cope with insanity worthy issues concerning the undead and damned, skip this one.

Opinions: I could not get into it. Perhaps it is the genre of the authors, thei
Tracy
I bought this book because it had a short story by Stephenie Meyer. However, her story was my least favorite of the five authors featured. The story I enjoyed most was Michele Jaffe's 'Kiss and Tell'. Not only was the story interesting, but it had a nice touch of comedy.

"Are you wearing space pants?" Miranda asked him.
"What?"
How did it end? Oh, right. She said, "Because you butt is fine."
He gazed at her in that way he had like he was measuring her for a straitjacket. "I think---" he started, the
Julie
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
The Exterminator's Daughter was cool but I was kinda begging hoping for more.

The Corsage freaked the hell out of me, especially that I was reading it at night. I was totally creeped out by the part wherein fresh-from-the-grave Will was trying to enter Frankie's house.

Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper was kinda okay, but it was the one I liked the least.

Kiss and Tell was also cool. I totally loved Miranda being some kind of a teen Wonder Woman. Not only was she a kick-ass babe but also a smart one
Princess Godoy
First of all, let me say that I hate prom!! so it may affect my liking for this book (just a little bit.)

I bought this book at a sale and I immediately bought it because of the 'big' authors that I love/like. However, I should've expected that since this book is different from what they usually write. I will be serve a different dish that I didn't want to be serve.

What I like about short stories is you can see a glimpse of what the author's usual plot like in Meg Cabot's story, there's always an
Carol Scott
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
Some interesting concepts with terrible executions and no endings.

"Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper" is my favourite of the bunch (and the only one I remembered from reading this in middle school), but it definitely feels like the first four chapters of a book. I just looked it up and apparently the author did extend it into a series, but that doesn't make for a good short story.

"The Corsage" is the worst of the bunch, essentially just a retelling of "The Monkey's Paw" with a YA paint job. Not
Brittney
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books/bind up I have ever read. The only good thing was that it was a quick read. All of the stories were weird, horribly written, and some did not make sense at times.

Ratings:
The Exterminator's Daughter: 1 star
The Corsage: 1.5
Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper: 1 star
Kiss and Tell: 1 star
Hell on Earth: 1.5
Aleetha
Not bad. I enjoy reading some of them.

I think I will read another series of these short stories from hell. I hope there I will not meet another angel and demon story. Not a big fan. I found it weird.
Stephanie Roxane
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was a massive disappointment. I hate to rate something one star, but this was just a mess. The writing in every single story was just not good, and the stories themselves weren’t good either. I’m not going to bother rating each story as I gave every story 1 star. This is not a book I’d personally recommend.
Jennifer Rayment
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
More like a 3.5

A light fun collection of YA paranormal stories revolving around Proms. I think the biggest surprise from this collection is that I actually thoroughly enjoyed a story by Stephanie Meyer. Highlights of this collection are: Kim Harrison's, Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper and Michelle Jaffe's, Kiss and Tell. Really enjoyed the likeable characters and the snappy, witty Dialogue in Kiss and Tell. Will be looking for more of Jaffe's stories. Also really intrigued by Kim Harrison's wri
Barbara Annancy
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always felt that short stories give me a sense of incompleteness but this book has been the total opposite. All the stories we worth reading, captivating and really interesting. A special shout out to 'the Corsage' by Lauren Myracle, this story was really interesting! ...more
Talia Castro
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
ok well this book had interesting stories! I like the last two better than all of them.

Meg Cabot starts off the collection with THE EXTERMINATOR'S DAUGHTER. When Mary shows up at Swig, an exclusive VIP club in Manhattan, it's not to socialize. She's on a mission to take out Sebastian Drake -- and by take out, I mean kill him with a crossbow. But when Adam, a fellow student at Saint Eligius, takes his own potshots at the dreaded Sebastian, things get a lot more interesting. this one was meeeh. no
Ash
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
BOOK BUTTERFLY
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories from popular teen authors that takes the revered tradition of going to the Prom and gives it a dark twist. From a vampire hunting girl named Mary whose mission it is to take out Dracula, to the demon Sheba delighting in wreaking mayhem at the prom, these stories take the reader on an exhilarating ride of action and suspense with strong, appealing characters.

The Exterminator’s Daughter by Meg Cabot was my favorite. It’s about Mary, a young girl who shows up
Sharon Mariampillai
Overall Rating: 4.0
The book is comprised of five stories. The book itself was great. I really enjoyed it. I thought some stories were better than others. My favourite was Kiss and Tell by Michele Jaffe because of the humor and the female character. My least favourite was Hell On Earth by Stephenie Meyer because the pacing was slower than the others. As a whole, each author made each story intriguing and different. The stories were great and I can't wait to read more books from each author. Ove
Livia
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA PNR novella addicts
Recommended to Livia by: Library find
"The Exterminator's Daughter" by Meg Cabot
I skipped to this first short story after I finished reading the anthology's closing novella, Hell on Earth by Stephenie Meyer. I knew going into to this one that I might be hit with an abrupt ending. Fortunately, it had a more solid ending than Hell on Earth and left me feeling a tad more satisfied. I still would have liked more story though. Rating: ★★★★1/2

"The Corsage" (an adaptation of "The Monkey's Paw" by W. W. Jacobs) by Lauren Myracle
I was reluc
rafael david
Hell to the fucking no
Cindy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's 5 different authors, 5 different paranormal prom stories in a collection.

1. Meg Cabot: the Exterminator's daughter
Mary's new in town, and currently her only friend is caught in a vampire spell. Something's going to happen at prom-night, and she needs to stop it.

Rate: 5 stars. Of all five stories, this was the best one. Ofc, it's Meg Cabot!

2. Lauren Myracle: the Corsage
Frankie's waiting for her crush to ask her to prom. She comes over a magical corsage, probably cursed, and her three wish
Holly
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
You know, I kind of like these little compelations of short stories. There are, however, some issues. There are some authors who don't seem to be able to end a short story. That or the short stories in Prom Nights from Hell were taken from actual stories they've written (and I have reason to believe one of them was).

The Exterminator's Daughter by Meg Cabot was entertaining. I mean, Mary and Adam were likable characters and I loved her rival because I'm odd and into that kind of thing.

The Corsage

• Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1)
  • The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5)
  • Early to Death, Early to Rise (Madison Avery, #2)
  • The Society of S (Ethical Vampire, #1)
  • Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)
  • After the Storm (Heartland, #2)
  • Por Todas Nós: Conselhos que não Recebi Sobre Luta, Amor e Ser Mulher
  • Pequeno Manual Antirracista
  • Something Deadly This Way Comes (Madison Avery, #3)
  • Daughters of Darkness (Night World, #2)
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Jakoś to będzie. Szczęście po polsku
  • Lonely Werewolf Girl (Kalix MacRinnalch, #1)
  • かぐや様は告らせたい ~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~ 2
  • El universo de Makoto Shinkai. A través del tiempo, la distancia y el espacio
  • YUNGBLUD Presents The Twisted Tales of the Ritalin Club
  • Personne ne m'aurait cru, alors je me suis tu

Short Stories from Hell (7 books)
  • Dates from Hell