Start by marking “Dark Fiddler” as Want to Read:
Dark Fiddler

Dark Fiddler

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
An old gravedigger recites the story of Nicolo Paganini, the 18th-century Italian violinist whose extraordinary skills and eerie stage presence made him a musical legend.
Published August 1st 2008 by Creative Editions

To ask other readers questions about Dark Fiddler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Fiddler

GooseberryCompote
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
PAGA NINI would make baller knuckle tattoos.
Carmen
Sep 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was really boring... the pictures are nice though.
Jostalady
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I read this because I can't wait to tell my kids about Paganini, but this one is best for at least a six year old so I best add it here and hope that I remember to find it again in 3 years...
Betsy
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Betsy by: John Peters
The picture book biographer is often a limited soul. If you are churning out biography after biography for a large company then I'm sure the job must feel fairly rote. You tally up the facts, place them in some kind of semblance of order, slap in a timeline, and you are good to go. Personally, I am more interested in the people who walk into the game without any previous experience and end up producing something wild and wacky and doggone weird. Wild, wacky, and weird would actually describe the ...more
Morgan
Nicolo Paganini was a violin virtuoso at age 13 and was one of the most talented and inspiring musicians of all time. But dark legends surround Paganini’s history, some even suggesting that his gift was made reality through a bargain with the devil. This illustrated biography artfully captures the mystery of the man through the legend. Known facts about Paganini follow the frightening tale and the illustrations are magnificently macabre. Age 10+.
Matthew Hundley
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This portrayal of the life of Nicolo Paganini, by Aaron Frisch, starts at his grave. The older of two gravediggers recounts the tale of the legendary musician. I was entranced at the start; drawn into this dreamlike journey, enhanced by the imagery of Gary Kelley. The right mix of illustration and text and intrigue make this a delightful read for people of all ages.
Audrey's Picture Books
The pictures in this book are amazing. They fit the tone of the story perfectly. As often happens in picture books, the narration didn't quite live up to the quality of the pictures. I liked the quasi-folk story way of telling the story, but it ended up feeling a bit contrived in places. Still, it's a solid book, well worth reading if you're interesting in the subject.
Jim
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
the legend of an 1800s robert johnson. my favorite part of the book is the art (by the barnes and noble muralist) that portrays the demon inspired fiddler as michael jackson. v. scary.
Diana Ferguson
This is a really interesting biographic picture book with beautiful evocative pictures.
Robin
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Striking illustrations and storytelling!
Angel
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring story, amazing man, beautifully written and illustrated. Most children's biographies are not able to do their subjects justice, so this is a rare gem.

Amanda BeReckonedwith