Start by marking “The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters (The Five Find-Outers, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters (The Five Find-Outers, #4)

The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters

(The Five Find-Outers #4)

An adventure for the Five Find-Outers and their dog. Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, Bets and Buster become involved in a very peculiar situation when a series of unsigned letters are sent to various people in Peterswood.
Published 2003 by Egmont (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters

Start your review of The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters (The Five Find-Outers, #4)
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Findouters Challenge: Book 4. Quite a few detectives have had to deal with poison pens, Miss Marple in The Moving Finger included, and in this one our Findouters are faced with one out to create havoc in Peterswood. The Hiltons’ young maid nineteen-year-old Gladys is one of the first targets and being fond of her the children are eager to help. But Mrs Hilton thinks this is not a case for children to be concerned with and tries to keep them from even getting any hint of it, calling Mr Goon to th ...more
Jodie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little trip down memory lane some 30 years after originally reading this series as a little girl! Despite remembering exactly what happens i was just as eager to find out what happened next. I can see now why I was so addicted to Enid Blyton’s books as a little girl! I need to re-read the rest now!
Abigail
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Three 'Five Find Outers' Books
The fourth title in Enid Blyton's fifteen-book Five Find-Outers and Dog series, sometimes also styled the Mystery series, The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters sees the Find-Outers back in their home village of Peterswood for the Easter holidays. Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, and Bets (together with Buster the dog), are on the look-out for another mystery, and they soon find themselves involved in a puzzling case involving a series of nasty anonymous letters. But will the children find the culprit bef ...more
Debbie Sally
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a good book. I love the mystery. But I think Blyton should named all the series with "Fatty The Find-Outer" because it seems like he's the one who always solves the mysteries. The other kids are just supporting characters.
Sophie Meredith
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I just love these stories. This one is particularly special to me as my Dad read it to me over 20 years ago. He told me that when he was reading these in the late 1960's his mum did not like the five find outers and dog as she thought they were far too disrespectful of the policeman. I think it is fabulous. Another story of excellent disguises and sleuthing.
Andrea
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - my first Enid Blyton and a very fun read.
Yasmina
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and I recommend my friends to read it.
Sue
This book is one of a series of 15, about the Five Find-Outers and Buster the dog. The story revolves around some nasty anonymous letters that have been sent to various people in the village. Mr Goon the policeman is trying to investigate without the children interfering, but naturally they find out what the problem is.

It's quite a good story, although I remembered easily 'whodunnit', despite not having read this book for probably twenty years or more. It's not particularly well-written, but it
Farseer
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fourth book in the series is another nice mystery, in the Golden Age of Detection tradition, only investigated by a group of kids. Being a series for children, the crime investigated is never murder, but theft or something like that. In this case, we have a campaign of spiteful letters harassing different people in the village, and threatening to expose their secrets.

Mr. Goon, the unsympathetic but hapless policeman, is on the case, and so are the Find-Outers. Mr. Goon is actually not dumb.
Tim
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fatty and Bets and the inconsequential other three are investigating spiteful letters sent to villagers
Much of the story involves the five teasing Goon rather than investigating clues. After several deadends Goon gives away the decisive clues thinking they had been planted by the five!
An enjoyable mystery if a little bit signposted early in the story.
Another story where Enid Blyton has a children's version of a Agatha Christie story, the Moving Finger, published in 1942, 4 years before this sto
Lisa Kucharski
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Saw this and realized it’s like a Nancy Drew-ish type genre from England, though would say it’s geared to a bit younger group. Was quite fun, the lead investigator Fatty (real name Frederick) is the brains of the group, which there are a lot. It also features Constable Goon, the not very loveable not very bright police officer. The Superintendent, was away until the end of the story, but seems to be on Fatty’s side.

A nice mystery inside a mystery plot. Mysterious notes are left to Const. Goon t
Samantha
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read all of The Famous Five stories when I was younger as well as other Enid Blyton stories, now I'm older I wanted to have a break from 'grown up' books and revisit a time when life was much simpler.

This book is number 4 in the series of the Five Find-Outers and while there were a couple of references to previous mysteries, it didn't matter that I hadn't read the previous stories. This series follows five friends and a dog as they spend school holidays together and always seem to end up
Emily Rennie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was recently reunited with my Find-Outers books after storage boxes from my old house were sent over, and I was so excited to re-read them, starting with this one! These books were my childhood, and to be transported back to Peterswood with the children (and Buster) was so lovely. It's been so long since I've read them that I've actually forgotten most of the mysteries and culprits, so it simultaneously felt new and nostalgic. The plot of this one is simple but cute, and I can't wait to read t ...more
Argiri Maglari
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'd read this book many years ago in Greek. At the matter of fact I had all the Five Find-Outers books as a child! When I found the English edition on Hay-on-Wye festival I was so excited. Now I wish I would have bought more ... I really enjoyed it. It took me back to my childhood!!!
Dr
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice little mystery.....
Catherine Ryan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revisiting a childhood favourite on Kindle
Grevick
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Someone is writing spiteful letters to people in town, and, of course, it becomes next mystery to solve for the kids. Fatty clearly has the leading role in this book, Mr. Goon is as arrogant and angry as always. Beside the fact that mystery is different, plot is pretty much the same. Probably few more books, and I will switch to something else - it gets too repetitive, even though still classics, and still pleasant to read.

P.S. It's curious how you approve kids' actions and resent grown-ups tha
Jake Collins
This has very much become The Fatty Show; I would have liked to see the others get their moments in the spotlight. Also, I wanted to learn something about the culprit's underlying motives for writing the spiteful letters, assuming there were any!

Again, the best parts of the story involve the children's activities as a quintet. I always found "woo-hoo-collywobbles" a very memorable name for a game, and I like the idea that Pip "had really let himself go" as it rings true with the developing and s
Sean Harding
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blyton-enid
Who is the nasty person writing the unkind letters to people everywhere - Fatty and Co are on the trail - with the continuing unresolved tension between Fatty and Bets and the continuing ridiculous we have to compete against the coppers story line and Fatty with his disguises etc it is all a bit crazy but it is reasonably entertaining - it really is different when you read it as an adult compared to as a child, you see different things, and perhaps miss other things?
Slow Man
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The mystery of the spiteful letters is a fun read. The five find-Outers and the dog, kids who are into solving mysteries of daily lives. Kids naturally loves these adventures. Pre-Harry potter age, kids have been following these stories for over 40 years. There is a hilarious and unforgettable character mr Goon.
David
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters by Enid Blyton was a more clever mystery than some in the series. The Find-Outers came up with some good ideas in their sleuthing. Unfortunately, the motivation of the culprit was lacking. It was not at all obvious why the perp sent the spiteful letters. All in all though, good fun.
Kirsti
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Someone's writing horrid letters, exposing secrets and making people remember bad things. Of course, the letters aren't as bad as what they could be in the real world, but they are still pretty nasty for an Enid Blyton book. The clues are few and far between, how will the Find Outers solve this case? Read it and find out for yourself, another five star book.
Julie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is number 4 of 15 of "The mystery of the...." series by Enid Blyton. I hope this one is a blip rather than an example of what's left to come in the remaining stories. The first 3 were great; this one a bit weak. I'll try one more to see if they improve. Otherwise, I'll be moving onto reading something else to the children!
Hubert Su9
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
It all started when Fatty and friends received a intruging mystery , when someone or something sent their maid a spiteful letter can they figure out who sent the letter with their only clue?(The Letter!)
Nadia
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Enid Blyton is an entertaing author and her books have been loved by children. I have been reading her books from a young age and when there doesn't seem to be a good choic in books, I know if I read one of her books it'll amuse me again and again.
Lakshana
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
I really like mysteries....but this one was too on the surface. I like the ones that really dig deep and make you totally confused, but makes everything okay at the end. Like Nancy Drew =)
Tara Calaby
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I didn't love the Five Find-Outers quite as much as the Famous Five, but it was close! A lot of the stories were more interesting to me, but I just didn't like the characters quite as much.
Allzz
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
i have read this book in my childhood would love to read again if i find it :)
Roze
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-it
One of my childhood favourites. Hoping to find the other books in the series in the library.

If you like a little adventure and feel like a kid once again, you should definitely read this book.

• The Naughtiest Girl Keeps a Secret
  • The Naughtiest Girl Wants to Win
  • Well Done, The Naughtiest Girl!
  • The Naughtiest Girl Marches On
  • The Naughtiest Girl Helps a Friend
  • The Naughtiest Girl Saves the Day
  • Bollywood Burglary (Geronimo Stilton #65)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Snowflakes Over Moon Cottage (Hope Meadows, #4)
  • Escape from Shangri-La
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul III: More Stories of Life, Love and Learning (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Border Runners
  • Kaburi Bila Msalaba: Hadithi ya vita vya Mau Mau (Swahili)
  • The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brothers, #1)
  • Supreme Power, Volume 2: Powers and Principalities
  • Show Stealer (Show Stopper #2)
  • D-Day Dog