Start by marking “The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters (The Five Find-Outers, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters (The Five Find-Outers, #4)

The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters

(The Five Find-Outers #4)

An adventure for the Five Find-Outers and their dog. Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, Bets and Buster become involved in a very peculiar situation when a series of unsigned letters are sent to various people in Peterswood.
Published 2003 by Egmont (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Findouters Challenge: Book 4. Quite a few detectives have had to deal with poison pens, Miss Marple in The Moving Finger included, and in this one our Findouters are faced with one out to create havoc in Peterswood. The Hiltons’ young maid nineteen-year-old Gladys is one of the first targets and being fond of her the children are eager to help. But Mrs Hilton thinks this is not a case for children to be concerned with and tries to keep them from even getting any hint of it, calling Mr Goon to the hous ...more
Jodie Partington
This was a great little trip down memory lane some 30 years after originally reading this series as a little girl! Despite remembering exactly what happens i was just as eager to find out what happened next. I can see now why I was so addicted to Enid Blyton’s books as a little girl! I need to re-read the rest now!
Abigail
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Three 'Five Find Outers' Books
The fourth title in Enid Blyton's fifteen-book Five Find-Outers and Dog series, sometimes also styled the Mystery series, The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters sees the Find-Outers back in their home village of Peterswood for the Easter holidays. Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, and Bets (together with Buster the dog), are on the look-out for another mystery, and they soon find themselves involved in a puzzling case involving a series of nasty anonymous letters. But will the children find the culprit before their nemesis ...more
Debbie Sally
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a good book. I love the mystery. But I think Blyton should named all the series with "Fatty The Find-Outer" because it seems like he's the one who always solves the mysteries. The other kids are just supporting characters.
Andrea
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - my first Enid Blyton and a very fun read.
Sue
This book is one of a series of 15, about the Five Find-Outers and Buster the dog. The story revolves around some nasty anonymous letters that have been sent to various people in the village. Mr Goon the policeman is trying to investigate without the children interfering, but naturally they find out what the problem is.

It's quite a good story, although I remembered easily 'whodunnit', despite not having read this book for probably twenty years or more. It's not particularly well-written, but it
Farseer
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fourth book in the series is another nice mystery, in the Golden Age of Detection tradition, only investigated by a group of kids. Being a series for children, the crime investigated is never murder, but theft or something like that. In this case, we have a campaign of spiteful letters harassing different people in the village, and threatening to expose their secrets.

Mr. Goon, the unsympathetic but hapless policeman, is on the case, and so are the Find-Outers. Mr. Goon is actuall
Lisa Kucharski
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Saw this and realized it’s like a Nancy Drew-ish type genre from England, though would say it’s geared to a bit younger group. Was quite fun, the lead investigator Fatty (real name Frederick) is the brains of the group, which there are a lot. It also features Constable Goon, the not very loveable not very bright police officer. The Superintendent, was away until the end of the story, but seems to be on Fatty’s side.

A nice mystery inside a mystery plot. Mysterious notes are left to Const. Goon t
Emily Rennie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was recently reunited with my Find-Outers books after storage boxes from my old house were sent over, and I was so excited to re-read them, starting with this one! These books were my childhood, and to be transported back to Peterswood with the children (and Buster) was so lovely. It's been so long since I've read them that I've actually forgotten most of the mysteries and culprits, so it simultaneously felt new and nostalgic. The plot of this one is simple but cute, and I can't wait to read t ...more
Argiri Maglari
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'd read this book many years ago in Greek. At the matter of fact I had all the Five Find-Outers books as a child! When I found the English edition on Hay-on-Wye festival I was so excited. Now I wish I would have bought more ... I really enjoyed it. It took me back to my childhood!!!
Dr
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice little mystery.....
Catherine Ryan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revisiting a childhood favourite on Kindle
Grevick
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Someone is writing spiteful letters to people in town, and, of course, it becomes next mystery to solve for the kids. Fatty clearly has the leading role in this book, Mr. Goon is as arrogant and angry as always. Beside the fact that mystery is different, plot is pretty much the same. Probably few more books, and I will switch to something else - it gets too repetitive, even though still classics, and still pleasant to read.

P.S. It's curious how you approve kids' actions and resent grown-ups tha
Jake Collins
This has very much become The Fatty Show; I would have liked to see the others get their moments in the spotlight. Also, I wanted to learn something about the culprit's underlying motives for writing the spiteful letters, assuming there were any!

Again, the best parts of the story involve the children's activities as a quintet. I always found "woo-hoo-collywobbles" a very memorable name for a game, and I like the idea that Pip "had really let himself go" as it rings true with the deve
Sean Harding
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blyton-enid
Who is the nasty person writing the unkind letters to people everywhere - Fatty and Co are on the trail - with the continuing unresolved tension between Fatty and Bets and the continuing ridiculous we have to compete against the coppers story line and Fatty with his disguises etc it is all a bit crazy but it is reasonably entertaining - it really is different when you read it as an adult compared to as a child, you see different things, and perhaps miss other things?
David
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters by Enid Blyton was a more clever mystery than some in the series. The Find-Outers came up with some good ideas in their sleuthing. Unfortunately, the motivation of the culprit was lacking. It was not at all obvious why the perp sent the spiteful letters. All in all though, good fun.
Kirsti
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Someone's writing horrid letters, exposing secrets and making people remember bad things. Of course, the letters aren't as bad as what they could be in the real world, but they are still pretty nasty for an Enid Blyton book. The clues are few and far between, how will the Find Outers solve this case? Read it and find out for yourself, another five star book.
Slow Man
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The mystery of the spiteful letters is a fun read. The five find-Outers and the dog, kids who are into solving mysteries of daily lives. Kids naturally loves these adventures. Pre-Harry potter age, kids have been following these stories for over 40 years. There is a hilarious and unforgettable character mr Goon.
Julie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is number 4 of 15 of "The mystery of the...." series by Enid Blyton. I hope this one is a blip rather than an example of what's left to come in the remaining stories. The first 3 were great; this one a bit weak. I'll try one more to see if they improve. Otherwise, I'll be moving onto reading something else to the children!
Nadia
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Enid Blyton is an entertaing author and her books have been loved by children. I have been reading her books from a young age and when there doesn't seem to be a good choic in books, I know if I read one of her books it'll amuse me again and again.
Hubert Su9
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
It all started when Fatty and friends received a intruging mystery , when someone or something sent their maid a spiteful letter can they figure out who sent the letter with their only clue?(The Letter!)
Lakshana
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Denise
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Someone is sending unpleasant anonymous letters to several people in the village of Peterswood - a new case for the Find-Outers to investigate! Lighthearted, entertaining fun.
felicia summers
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Well done, Enid Blyton!" I said as I finished reading this book. I love it. It was really surprising to know who is the sender of the really spiteful letters.
Darshana Unnikrishnan
ok :-) it was nice :-)
Roze
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-it
One of my childhood favourites. Hoping to find the other books in the series in the library.

If you like a little adventure and feel like a kid once again, you should definitely read this book.
Barry Lillie
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Simple story, in fact probably one of Ms Blyton's poorest tales. Loose plot and far too easy to figure out. But that said took me back to my childhood, so was worth the time spent re-reading it.
Anshu Sharma
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm on a Enid Blyton roll and it's been great till now!
Allzz
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
i have read this book in my childhood would love to read again if i find it :)
Vaijayanthi
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My friends
Recommended to Vaijayanthi by: myself
Mysterious and exciting. Interesting and funny. All types can be observed in this book.

• The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Mystery of the Sinister Scarecrow (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #29)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • Di Gua Kelelawar (Lima Sekawan)
  • Uma Aventura nas Ilhas de Cabo Verde
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • Hoši od Bobří řeky
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years be

The Five Find-Outers (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat (The Five Find-Outers, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Secret Room (The Five Find-Outers, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Necklace (The Five Find-Outers, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Hidden House (The Five Find-Outers, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat (The Five Find-Outers, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Vanished Prince (The Five Find-Outers, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Strange Bundle (The Five Find-Outers, #10)
  • The Mystery of Holly Lane (The Five Find-Outers, #11)