Start by marking “The Twins at St. Clare's” as Want to Read:
The Twins at St. Clare's

The Twins at St. Clare's

(St. Clare's #1)

Pat and Isabel, the O'Sullivan twins, find life at St Clare's is not at all as easy as at their old school. They have several shocks and arguments before they realise the difficulties are of their own making, and settle down and make friends.
Published 2000 by Egmont (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Twins at St. Clare's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twins at St. Clare's

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Twins at St Clare's (St Clare's, #1), Enid Blyton
The Twins at St Clare's is a children's novel by Enid Blyton set in an English girls' boarding school. It is the first of the original six novels in the St. Clare's series of school stories. First published in 1941, it tells the story of twin sisters Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan in their first term at a new school. They meet many new friends.
The two girl twins, Patricia and Isabel O'Sullivan, having just finished school at the elite school called
Stacey (prettybooks)
Re-reading St Clare's

I'm re-reading the St Clare's series (I bought the 1970s boxset as opposed to the new ones because they're just too...modern!). I first read the series when I was in infant and primary school (so about 6-9 years old most likely) and I remember loving them. Re-reading this book, it's interesting how I still remember bits of the storyline and the characters.

This is the first book in the series where Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan join St Clare's at 14 years old. I love how every
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
The Twins at St Clare’s by Enid Blyton. Children’s Fiction. Granada Publishing Limited, Frogmore, St. Albans, Herts. Reprinted 1974. 5 Stars. This is a tattered copy I picked up for 10¢ at Sherman Oaks library more than 20 years ago. But such a fun book, the first in the St Clare’s series, a delightful story about twins Pat and Isabel going to a new school. At first they are not very pleased about it. Read how they adjust and eventually love St Clare’s! I am looking forward to reading the whole ...more
CLM
I asked my niece Alexa, who just read all the St. Clare's and Malory Towers, which series she liked best, and she says:
"St Clare's because I like the characters better and they become less snobby faster. Their tricks and midnight feasts are WAY better."
Beth Stewart
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the twins at St Clare's - the adventures Pat and Isabel get up to are hilarious! My favourite part of the book was the midnight feast. It really was a feast aswell: bread, butter, pork pie, cake, sardines (ew), Nestles Milk, chocolate, peppermint creams, tinned pineapple AND ginger beer. "It beats the rest of the St Clare's feasts thats for sure!" I love this book because Enid Blyton really does show a passion for writing. The twins at St Clares are mystery and adventurous. They help to b ...more
Kirsti
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ah, the impact these books had on me growing up! I had loved Enid Blyton, but had never read one of the St Clare's stories until I was 12 or so. I was at a sleepover, and my friend slept in for what felt like hours. Bored, I got up and pulled down the only book on her shelf that didn't look boring; and found myself lost in the world of St Clare's girls! I read the first book that weekend, and the following two the next two weekends. Years later, after my asking to borrow them every few months, m ...more
Kelly
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so since I've recently finished rereading the Malory Towers series for what feels like the hundredth time, I figured I should come back to the St Clare's books too. Granted, I do prefer Malory Towers, but the St Clare's series is also good- and still a childhood classic/favourite series by Enid Blyton! :)
Kirsty
I loved this series as a kid and consequently crazed my parents to send me to boarding school

Yes the reread proves that actually it probably doesn't hold up compared to fiction published now but I do still love this series because it made me a compulsive reader.
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hanni and Nanni are great series for kids! I loved reading the book when I was younger and I am pretty sure I would enjoy them nowadays too if I would read them again. Maybe I do! ;-)
Pretty
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Irish girl twins in a girl dormitory school, enchanting youth
Bamdaph Bates
The debut of Enid Blyton’s St Clares series is not as strong as the debut of the Mallory Towers series, as many of the founding characters do not make it all the way through to the end of the series and so they become forgettable. It does however contain the usual amount of tricks, dormy fun and lacrosse matches one has come to expect with an Enid Blyton series set in a school.
The O’Sullivan twins are Pat and Isabel, one quite indistinguishable from the other with the exception of Pat’s tenden
Z.Jeena
I went through this gigantic, grueling novel just for my best friend. I have noooo idea how she liked it....
Josephine (Jo)
It was super to have the opportunity to re read this old childhood favourite. It took me back to the 1950's. I think that these stories still have a place for children today. Although the twins Isabel and Pat are 14 in the stories I feel that they are more suited to a much younger audience these days. The twins have previously been at a boarding school called Redroofs and are determined not to enjoy the new school, St. Clare's. Both of the girls are initially portrayed as snobs that do not mix w ...more
Urfan Ashraf
This story is about twin girls Isabell and Pat who have to move to a new prep school against their wishes. When they first arrive at st clare's they decide they are going to be horrible and are labelled as the"stuck up twins"by the other girls in their form but they soon learn to adjust and even miss their boarding school when they go home for Christmas.
I didn't really enjoy this book, I found it to be quite dull, with very little humour and an old fashioned tone that I don't think would appeal
Rinne
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely just love this series.
I have read every single book,and the characters are so interesting.
Take Carlotta for example - a wild,gypsy-like ex-circus girl.
Tomboyish Bobby Ellis and the responsible and dignified head girl Hilary Wentworth.Alison,the feather-head who worships and loses her heart to pretty girls/teachers.
The Honorable Angela Favorleigh,who is rich but snobby and spoilt(who Alison adores and worships).
Don't forget Pauline,Doris,Susan,the spiteful Eileen Paterson,the America
Emily
These books were such a huge part of my childhood and so very important to my reading habits. Growing up on the German version 'Hanni & Nanni' I would devour these and reread them uncountable times. These were the books that made me stay up the whole night so that my dad would turn off the power to my room and I would read by candlelight or with a torchlight. These were the books that introduced me to midnight snacking, to adventure and the importance of friendship. I loved a lot of Enid Bly ...more
Em
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aimee-jolie
I loved these when I was younger! My daughters have been listening to the audio book version at bedtime for ages so I picked up a couple of paperbacks from the library, I thought they'd like to experience reading them. They were delighted and have had to repeat myself constantly as their noses are in books and listening to Mum a low priority!

In addition, they've been playing "Boarding Schools" in the garden quite a bit over Easter holidays - I'm waiting to be asked if they can go to one!
Julie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
What fab books these are! When I read this the first time as a child myself I longed to go to boarding-school. I missed all the morals intertwined within the chapters which were so blatant as an adult reader... cheating, theft, bullying, etc. All dealt with very simply but hopefully instilling a sense of decency in young readers. The language was very dated and I deliberately substituted more modern equivalents to the "you're such a brick", and "golly gosh", etc! My kids loved it!
Abby Chantelle
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read this when i was schooling.i enjoy this a lot at that time.this is a really perfect books for school children.there lifestyle is really simple than new a days school children.they didn't act like adult.they had real childhood.
Ameera Afuwar
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this series sooo much because 1)Enid Blyton is my all time favourite author and 2)its sooo interesting and there's so many adventures in just one book that just makes you yearn to read the other books as well. Highly recommended for everybody! Thumbs up :D
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this book when I was 10 years old, I know I would have loved it.
Niamh
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Twins At St.Clares by Enid Blyton.
The O'sullivan twins are stuck up and don't want to go to St.Clares. But when they do go they find that the school is quite different than they thought. 4/5* A good read, am looking forward to reading the next one.
Williesun
I had been meaning to do a childhood re-read for a year not but never gotten around to it. When Risha started with the whole #blytonchildhood tweeting, I knew I would go down that rabbit hole myself.

Reading The Twins at St. Clare's was pure nostalgia for me even though I think all my memories come from the cartoon show and not my reading of the actual books. I started the re-read with the German version of the first book as I knew that version differed from the original and I wanted to see for m
Hil
Never read this one before as a child, so thought I'd give it a go. I FELT like I'd read it before because all these books are essentially the same, and that's what makes them comforting and tedious at the same time. Morals are taught in every chapter through a series of mishaps, mischief and midnight feasts. I'm not sure if my version had been modernised. Many have but it wasn't obvious to me, except maybe some money that was stolen (surely someone stealing £10 when they were written was a huge ...more
Limau Nipis
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads, children
This series evoked fond memories of my childhood. I started reading the books when I was in Standard 4 or 5. I restrained myself buying the whole series when I was studying in the UK because of the covers. Thanks to Book Xcess for bringing the book to Malaysia with wonderful price!

Oh what should I say about it? Isn't it a coincidence that I also have a twin but thank God we are not as naughty as Pat and Isabeel O'Sullivan.

I enjoyed their mischief, but behind their facade, they are also kind hear
Ana Beatriz
Rereading this series as I absolutely loved it when I was 10 years old! Obviously, as an adult my understanding of it is different now; I found it at times a bit preachy, amongst other things. I understand the reasons for this particular trait though; not only it was still an established style of fiction at the time, it also gives a moral compass for young girls, and actually quite a good one! Values of honour, hard work, companionship and compassion are all over it. So I give, to what was one o ...more
Karen
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Was a bit worried about re-reading these in case they didn't live up to my memories. But I was still instantly transported to the world where everyone seems to consume only ginger beer and cake, where 'silly' is a noun, and where one becomes 'poorly' instead of ill. Simply splendid!

Update - 25 November 2012
Have now read this to my daughter, and we're well on our way to finishing the second one. And she loves them too - yay! I just can't put into words how wonderful it is to share something of my
Emma Rose Ribbons
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-stories
Reread in July 2019 - really loved this too this time around! It was such a treat to follow the girls' activities at school.

---
How I love boarding school stories! This was really good and I took to the characters immediately. It's got lovely descriptions of food and activities too. Blyton's style could be more polished at times and a prank per chapter felt quite unrealistic but the core of the book is a delight to read and I can't wait for the rest.
Anja Calabrese
I was looking forward to rereading these books that I loved in my teens,but was a little disappointed when I realized that they have been modernized.
The language is not the same,and the twins are paying with Euros,but it was still nice to met the old familiar characters.
Sieglinde
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading this series as part of a research project on children's literature, and they are just as funny now as I remember from my childhood. Fast-paced, vivid imagery, and with important lessons about honor and character woven into the narrative.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Buku Enyd Blyton 1 28 May 27, 2007 03:21AM

• The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Chalet School and Jo
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • First Term at Trebizon
  • Di Gua Kelelawar (Lima Sekawan)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

St. Clare's (9 books)
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Sixth Form at St. Clare's
  • Kitty at St. Clare's
“Those first form kids!’ said Tessie, in disgust. ‘Honestly, they ought to be in a kindergarten, the way they behave!” 0 likes