Start by marking “Night's Fall (The Mystic Bay #1)” as Want to Read:
Night's Fall (The Mystic Bay #1)

Night's Fall

(Mystic Bay #1)

Things do go bump in the night.

Running from a tragic loss, worrying over a missing brother, and flustered about dreams he can’t explain, Michael James searches for a peaceful place to call home. A quaint little town on the Florida coast promises to be just what he needs to start a new life.

Then myth clashes with reality, and Michael’s life is upended. Vampires, werewol
Kindle Edition, Revised and expanded
Published October 2020 (first published August 17th 2011)

Start your review of Night's Fall (The Mystic Bay #1)
Barbara➰
**2.5 stars**

This was just okay for me but I kept reading to see what would happen. It was kind of your typical vampire book. I do want to know what happened to Mark so I’ll definitely read the next one when it’s out. This ends HFN with the baddie still at large.
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
this was an okay book, but i thought the plot was way too simplistic and the antagonist too one-dimensional. i'm also really picky about my mate stories - i don't want the mate aspect to just be an excuse to throw instalove everywhere, which is what happened here. ...more
Gerbera_Reads
This series has promise. I liked the paranormal community of Mystic Bay, how they banded together and watched out for each other. I liked secondary characters, new paranormals like elementals and Guardians but the author didn't provide much background about them. It was a short sentence here and there and it wasn't enough.

I liked Michael and Clay as a couple, they were sweet and took a little time to get to know each other instead of jumping into bed right away. But separately not so much. Mich
M'rella
The book left me somewhat annoyed. Overall impression - just another vampire story with a vampire as a dom, a human turned lapdog, then turned vampire, very little BD some abuse and a predictable story line.
There was also that constant feeling that Michael, the human, was originally meant to be a woman.

I came across so many WTH moments, that I lost count, but most memorable are:
(view spoiler)
S.J. Himes
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Loved this book. Great rewrite from the original short into a full length novel. Danger, action an mythical creatures combine to make a fantastic start to a new series.
Nic
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious

Michael lost his parents to a senseless crime and his younger brother is missing. Distraught and alone he relocates to a small beach city. Michael gets comfort in his dreams by his mystery dream guy whose face he never sees. Clayton is a vampire and Michael is soul mate. Clayton patiently waits for Michael to learn more and make a decision. But someone else is stalking Michael and trying to harm him. Andy and Paul are two friends and supporting characters who are very interesting. I a
Simsala
1,5 stars

Poor Michael should have called van Helsing - asking for advice how to get rid off his asshole-vampire-dom-mate-lover Max...permanently!
Darkness Awaits started out -though unintentionally funny - as an o.k. read.Near the end it was a mess of bloodshed,violence and "who did what to whom?"...
Choppy writing and an increasingly ridiculous plot with sex scenes thrown in out of nowhere made it hard to finish - or even like.No,thanks...
SMC
How can I put this

If you want cliche, movie scene stealing, predictable, and kinda icky vampire romance - then yes. This is for you. Have you never watched Lost Boys and loved hearing Keifer whisper in the wind "Miiiichael" ? Well, it is your lucky day because you get exactly that ! Verbatim.

The typos, grammatical errors, poor story development, missing words, predictable plot, bad dialogue and serious filler content just were not my cup of tea. Now in case you wanted some actual proof, please
Joyfully Jay
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Giving us a world where paranormal beings are as common as humans, M.A. Church’s Night’s Fall is quite an action-packed story. There is a lot to unpack in this book, not the least of which is a world where not only things like vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, and elementals exist, but there is also a supernatural council that tracks their behavior and sends out its guardians to investigate and destroy any who get out of hand. Paul, Michael’s new landlord, is o
Emeli Webb
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic start to what i Hope Will be a Great series it had everything altough this book reminded me a bit of the Twilight series i still loved it and clay and Michael were the perfect gay version of Edward and bella
JoAnn
Feb 09, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Blah...

Seriously... the first idk maybe first few chapters were literally the author explaining every little detail and walking us step by step through Michaels day or whatever he was going. I do not need a step my step description of what a man does when he goes to the bathroom.... To me it was wasted writing that would ruin any depth this story might have had.
Irestia
This book had some odd moments for me, but it was enjoyable overall. It was a pretty standard fated-mate PNR, but that's what I'm in the mood for atm, so *shrug*. I almost dropped this book because I thought this book, like so many others do, was going to make the MC fall in love with the person who stalked and sexually assaulted. It turns out that wasn't the case, so I'm glad I kept going. I was decently entertained by the world; the MCs were fine and I liked the side character, particularly An ...more
Mishca
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So fast paced the story gets left behind.

This is more of a 3.5 then a 3. The story was interesting enough that I will read the sequel, but it definitely wasn't a top of the list book. The pacing of this story was insane fast and it really hurt the story because of it. I never felt the romantic attraction between the main characters especially since it felt like they met and mates in like 2 days. While that is not what happened the author spends no time building the attraction between them or ev
**Kaycee**
**2 stars**

Urban fantasy/shapeshifter/mystery/romance told in 3rd person with an interesting plot. Well, the potential to be interesting. It was unique enough that I was able to finish it, but just.

There were many misspellings, grammatical errors, and a time when the wrong character’s name was used. The sentences were simple, lacking in depth, and provided little in terms of world building.

I noted (4 times in total) where the prostate was referred to as ‘hot spot’ ...e.g. I almost came when he
Ashryn
Feb 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped, m-m, vampire
I put this book down about 40% through because the male main character consistently acts and thinks exactly like a female.

I believe that gender is primarily in the mind and that sometimes people end up in the wrong body and if they want to fix that as much as they can, that's fine. But I don't believe there to be zero difference between genders. There is more than enough proof that men and women think and behave differently. There are patterns of thinking and behavior common to most men and pat
Alexis Woods
Disappointing

Well, that was disappointing. I usually enjoy Church's books, but this one not so much. The story was pretty dry, not a whole lot of emotional attachment. Yeah, Michael and Clay hae been having sexy and non sexy dream sequences for years, but once they met in real life it didn't translate well. It was like two different relationships. The overall storyline was fair, again no real emotions - they were all told to me.
Also... A LOT of errors. Some serious proofing needed. Michael's na
Careena
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to a new series.

First off, sexy erotic vampire shenanigans in dreamland. Sign me up!
I was hooked right from the beginning, with the whole dream setting, and It was exciting.
What I like Is that Michael wasn't a lovesick yes sir bite me, mark me MC.
I like a rational MC. So we got that.
CLAY, on the other hand was a bit of a let down. Infact, their entire meeting was a letdown after the great build up.
The story had enough suspense to let you finish the book.
The mystery with Mark is
P Leslie
The beginning was a combination of erotic and eerie. Michaels dreams captured the strength of the bond he didn’t even know he had, perfectly. The eerie feeling came from Michael been stalked and watched - it gave me the chills.

Michael was thrown into the deep end yet he took it better than I thought he would.

I pictured a completely different Clay and was quite surprised that he was nothing like I imagined. His age showed which was evident from his behaviour yet I really I liked him - he was sw
Misty M
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it, but just missed the mark.

I didn't read this before it was expanded, so I'm not sure what was added, but I think it got muddled in the process. The two stars are for the fact that I enjoyed it despite all the problems. Michael was so erratic in his thought processes it got annoying, minor inconsistencies throughout, the flow was very off. I think this is all a symptom of adding things without blending them into the story, I'd be interested to read it before it was expanded. What reall
Amanda
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psst... editing is a thing

I loved this book! It was a new twist on a tired paranormal plot. I’m not going to lie and say it should win awards, but I was thoroughly entertained. Michael finds himself emerged in a world he thought was only make believe. Clay is your quintessential sexy, old world, charming vampire (muah!). Soul mates, bonding, sexy times.... all with an actual plot? Umm, yas please!
However, the editing! *gasp* My brain constantly stuttered to make sense of what I was reading. It
Shannon
Night's Fall

Overall it was a good read. It had it all. Love, hate, humor, seriousiness. Loved the characters. They were fun, lovable(hateable for the bad guys), and easy to cheer for. The main draw back I had was the grammar in this book. For example: " He let Clay pulled him out..." and "what the fuck where this...". Found errors like this through out the book that broke up the easy reading rhythm that the book had going. I would recommend reading this book. Just think another proof read by the
John-Torleif  Harris
Excellent

I loved the confusion and discontinuity in the beginning of this book that mirrored what Michael was experiencing as he was first exposed to the paranormal.

It wasn't clear to me how Jackson knew who Michael was before he met Clay. I don't see Clay having told Jackson about him. Did Jackson know because he was following Clay as he protected Michael?

This is a great beginning to a new series that I will definitely be reading more of.
空
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tina Sharp
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Vampires, werewolves and many other supernatural beings, with action, and suspence, I really love this book. Loved Michael, how his world got turned upside down. Clay was great as well and loved the secondary characters, Andy and Paul. Jackson was an awesome, dangerous and psychopathic villain, who is still at large and focused on Michael. Can't wait to see what happens next!
joani
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely kept my interest

Can you imagine finding out that all the myths you heard of being real and out for your blood...literally?? That's what Michael gets to deal with and from the start it's all the nasties that go bump in the night. Luckily he has a gorgeous vampire mate that will die to protect him..
Grace
DNF ~60% Frankly, it should have been earlier, but I was feeling too lazy to find another book to read, so I just kept going

Honestly, I'm pretty bummed, because this had a lot of promise, but the writing wasn't good, there were a ton of editing mistakes, and the whole insta-love thing was just poorly done.
Jennifer Lavoie
I enjoyed the world building. I thought it was going to be just a vampire story, but there’s werewolves, elementals, and whatever Guardians really are. Oh, and soul mates. That was a fun edition. I like Michael and Clay and both Paul and Andy were great secondary characters. The ending is left wide open for the next book and I can’t wait for that to come out.
Lara
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Great author, all of her books are auto buy for me. Loved the book and can't wait for the next one. I totally recommend any of her books to science fiction and fantasy lovers who also enjoy mm romance.
LynW
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I read this in 2019 so it was newer, longer version of the story. Seems like an interesting paranormal world. I didn't feel much between Clay and Michael but it was a good build up for the next in the series. Maybe Nicholas and Jonas? ...more
Hazel Drummond
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable tale

I wasn't sure about it to begin with, but as the story progressed, I found myself beginning to really like the characters.

There are a few word errors here and there, but nothing so glaring that it spoils the overall enjoyment of the book.

• Treasured
  • Stop Kidding Around (Magical Mates #2)
  • Dragon Scholar (Dragon Hoard, #1)
  • Breath (Scales 'N' Spells #2)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Cornelius (Warlocks of Amherst #1)
  • The Alpha's Mage (Wild Magic #1)
  • The Deputy and His Enforcer (Kincaid Pack #3)
  • Release Me (Duff Coven #1)
  • Under a Full Moon (Slate Mountain Wolf Pack #1)
  • The Reluctant Alpha (West Coast Wolves, #1)
  • Half Moon Above (Slate Mountain Wolf Pack #2)
  • Blind Warrior (Weavers Circle #3)
  • The Witch's Familiar (Familiar Mates #1)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • The General's Mate (Blue Solace #2)
  • Shadow Walker (Bay City Coven #1)
  • The Slightly Supernatural Sheriff (Lone Wolves Ranch, #3)
M.A. Church is a true Southern belle who spent many years in the elementary education sector. Now she spends her days lost in fantasy worlds, arguing with hardheaded aliens on far-off planets, herding her numerous shifters, or trying to tempt her country boys away from their fishing poles. It’s a full time job, but hey, someone’s gotta do it!

When not writing, she’s on the back porch tending to th

Mystic Bay (2 books)
  • Day’s Light (The Mystic Bay #2)

News & Interviews