Start by marking “Did I Say You Could Go” as Want to Read:
Did I Say You Could Go

Did I Say You Could Go

A suspenseful, gripping novel about families and friendships torn apart at the seams by obsession, secrets, and betrayal with relentless twists and turns that hurtle forward to a shocking confrontation.

When Ruth, a wealthy divorcee, offers to host the Hillside Academy kindergarten meet-and-greet, she hopes this will be a fresh start for her and her introverted daughter, Ma
Expected publication: August 3rd 2021 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Did I Say You Could Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Did I Say You Could Go

Start your review of Did I Say You Could Go
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m dizzy because of extreme amount of twists! Especially the final one hit me in the face so hard! I’m still numb, mentally black eyed but I’m also pleased and entertained a lot!

The mothers: polar opposite characters: one widower and one divorcee form an unhealthy relationship! Then they fell apart! Six years later an academic scandal brings them back together! But things get uglier! They find themselves into more lies, deceptions and unhealthily obsession patterns!

Ruth, wealthy, divorcee, r
Jen
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
his book was loads of fun- a quick, psychological drama about 2 frenemies, Ruth and Gemma. This is domestic suspense at it's best- even when nothing was happening, there was a thrum of drama throughout the narrative that kept me reading late into the night. The book primarily alternates between the POVs of Ruth and Gemma, with occasional chapters dedicated to their respective daughters, Marley and Bee.

A lot of the book is just bad behavior between the women, and neither is all that likable, tho
Melissa Borsey
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two single mother’s, one a widower and one a divorcée, latch on to each other and develop a somewhat unhealthy, on and off friendship. This is one of those “with friends like these....” type books that will leave you wanting to know what this train wreck is going to look like at the end. A little long-winded but interesting enough to hold my attention. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
dona
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obscenely rich but socially unaccepted Ruth decides to host a meeting of young mothers for her daughter’s kindergarten class. She has no idea how put off the mothers are with her ostentatious display of wealth and her intentions completely backfire. She and her daughter become pariahs in the small Bay Area community.
The only mother to seemingly accept her is Gemma and Ruth latches on to her like a spider to a fly.

Ruth uses her wealth as a tool to ingratiate herself to Gemma who enjoys the benefi
Christina
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Are you looking for a quick, engrossing read? One that can be read in one sitting? Look no further friends, Did I Say You Could Go is the domestic drama you are craving.

Gemma and Ruth are single mom frenemies along with their daughter's Bee and Marley. After meeting at the kindergarten social, together they weather through the school drama, girl mom drama, and their own drama, with many ups and downs. Together the four bring the love-hate relationship between friends and mother-daughter to a wh
Krissy
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desperate to make friends in her new neighborhood, Ruth and her introvert daughter Marley decide to host the annual Hillside Academy kindergarten meet-and-greet. Ruth hopes they will finally be accepted and find their niche. Unfortunately, the parents are turned off by Ruth and her obnoxious wealth. Once again, Ruth and Marley are outcasts.

During the meet-and-greet Ruth meets single mom Gemma and her extrovert daughter, Bee. Ruth makes it her mission to become best friends with mom and daughter
Colleen Ward
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 stars rounded up)

Having met at a kindergarten meet and greet nine years ago, Gemma and Ruth are best friends who have both been raising their daughters as single mothers - one a widow and the other a wealthy divorcée. Gemma and her daughter, Bee, live frugally, paycheck to paycheck. Ruth and her daughter, Marley, live in a mansion with all the latest styles. Over the years, Ruth and Marley whisk Gemma and Bee away on luxurious vacations and treat them to a lavish lifestyle whenever given th
Jenny
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psychological thriller is the genre I probably read the most, though to be honest, it's hard sometimes to find a book I can get into. So many books today all seem ho-hum the same. It's rare to find a book with a new take on a plot or story, interesting characters, twists you don't see coming or an ending you truly weren't expecting. Did I Say You Can Go by Melanie Gideon succeeds where other books fail. Once I began reading, I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. Thank you to the author, S ...more
Blue
It’s a tale of two frenemies, Ruth and Gemma, both were single moms with their daughters Marley and Bee who have been in the same class since kindergarten. Ruth is stinky rich and helps Gemma financially but Gemma had left Ruth in the lurch when she was involved in a scandal.

Fast forward a few years, Ruth welcomed back Gemma with open arms, did for her when tables were turned and Gemma was embroiled in a sticky situation.

The discussions in Momonymous were fun. This is a virtual group where the
Chelsey
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great psychological thriller! I read this in 2 days. I had to know what happened!

Gemma and Ruth are single moms and form a friendship when their daughters start school together. Ruth is a little much for Gemma so she eases back from their friendship. Many years later, they rekindle their friendship and chaos ensues.

This is one of those books you won’t want to put down. I loved the multiple POVs. My only complaint is that it seemed a little longer than it needed to be.

Overall, this is a
Grace
Jan 17, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth and Marley are alone in the word until they meet Gemma and Bee. Ruth's money and Gemma's warmth meld them into a family, a family that Ruth tries to hold unto with a death grip, but she slips up. Gemma and Bee fade away until Bee and Marley are starting high school, and Ruth finds her way back into Gemma's good graces. Now--she just needs to do everything possible to stay there--to show Gemma that she needs her.

This book starts like as a light read but ends on a dark note and will leave you
Jalia Shelley
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Excellent psychological thriller. Ruth and Gemma are best friends and single moms who meet when their daughters are in kindergarten. As their friendship progresses Ruth becomes more and more needy and controlling. Extremely fast paced and impossible to put down, read this book in one day. Highly recommend.
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early edition book club read.

Ruth and daughter Marley befriend Gemma and her daughter Bee in kindergarten as they are the only single mommas in the class.

What a rollercoaster of a relationship from there!

Many times I wanted to put the book down as Ruth is so over the top. For that, I did not expect the twist at the end.

Ruth's extreme selfish ways are the reason for a 3 rating vs. 4.
Sharon Turner
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I Say You Could Go by Melanie Gideon is a story about how lies and obsession can destroy families and friendships. I couldn’t put this book down, there were so many twists that I didn’t see coming especially the ending. If you like psychological thrillers you need to read this book. Thanks Netgalley for this arc in exchange for my honest opinion.
Michelle
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intense story of friendship, lies, and betrayal, Did I Say You Could Go is told from multiple mother/daughter perspectives. While the ending shouldn't have been surprising if you were following along, the trip to get there was a bit of a wild ride at times. This was probably 3.5 stars for me, rounded up.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Ruth
Dec 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish the book. The synopsis is pretty clear as far as the plot but I found every character so unlikeable, vapid, and mean-spirited. I couldn't get interested in any of them. However, thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. ...more
Amy
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Absolutely loved this twisty-turny psychological thriller! Excellent!
Deborah Marie
sarah
Dec 16, 2020
Cindy Bokma
Dec 30, 2020

• The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Whisper Island
  • The Best of Friends
  • A Dark and Secret Place
  • The Good Neighbour
  • Just My Luck
  • The Betrayal
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • The Girl in the Mirror
  • We Are All the Same in the Dark
  • The Push
  • The Good Sister
  • His Hidden Wife
Melanie Gideon is the author of the memoir, The Slippery Year: A Meditation on Happily Ever After, as well as the novels Wife 22, Valley of the Moon and Did I Say You Could Go. Her books have been translated into thirty languages. She lives in the Bay Area.