Start by marking “The People We Keep” as Want to Read:
The People We Keep

The People We Keep

The People we Keep is about a young songwriter longing to find a home in the world.

Little River, New York, 1994: April Sawicki is living in a run-down motorhome, flunking out of school, and picking up shifts at the local diner. But when April realizes she’s finally had enough—enough of her selfish, absent father and barely surviving in an unfeeling town—she decides to make
Expected publication: August 3rd 2021 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The People We Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People We Keep

Start your review of The People We Keep
Chris
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about The People We Keep, beginning with the narrator, April Sawicki, who is both wise beyond her years and unbelievably naive, to the fact it’s 1994 and no one has a cell phone. Allison Larkin has given us a heroine who is raw and real, a young person capable of breaking your heart one moment and lifting it up the next.
Allie Larkin
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is my new book, written under my full name. It's been something I've been working on for a long time and I put my whole heart into it. I hope you enjoy! ...more
Kelsey
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads, favorites
Holy shit. Welcome to my new favorite book.

I'm going to try to put into words what this book means to me...but words seem hard right now.

It's just been a minute since I fell this hard for a book and its characters.

I've just finished reading this masterpiece; my mascara is running down my face and my eyes are puffy from sobbing. This book was everything to me.

F...this book was so lonely. I am not sure if I've ever met a character as lonely as my beloved April. I fell so in love with her, almost i
Jamie
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is my favorite book by Allie Larkin!
This book was raw, gritty, real and emotional!
So heartbreaking, my heart literally broke for April. Her journey has such tenacity and strength. I loved the people she met along the way and really had no idea where the book was going to take me. Each character had such strong roles and left such an impression.
Even though the book was definitely depressing it had such a soulful meaning that pulled me in and I couldn’t put the book down. I will defini
Ann Mah
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Raw, emotional, and deeply consuming, THE PEOPLE WE KEEP is the kind of novel that sticks in your soul. Allison Larkin brings insight and emotion to this tale of a young woman's odyssey, creating characters so believable you'll almost start Googling them to find out if they're real.
Caroline Angell
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
THE PEOPLE WE KEEP is the stirring, intimate account of a young woman who, against all odds, forges her own path in the world of American folk music. As a child, April is denied everything — love, safety, support — yet she herself is undeniable. I was riveted. I could not put it down! It's a timeless and deeply compassionate story, told from the bone. ...more
Mikhaila
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I could barely put this book down. A beautiful story that has so many relatable themes. Very raw book, extremely emotional. Her journey demonstrates that sometimes in life you choose your family. Her journey is familiar to many people, and her struggle to come to terms with the fact that she is not the problem is beautifully written. The author really allows you to get to know April intimately. Wonderful writing, I can’t wait to read more by Allison Larkin.
Tara Weiss
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
April showers bring May flowers... we go through the tough times to find the sunshine. Having grown up poor in the town of Little River, NY, April Sawicki, a "careless man's careful daughter" (to borrow from Taylor Swift), has learned there are people who will help you and people who will pretend you don't exist. By the time she turns sixteen, April knows all too well that life can beat you down, but maybe the trick is too keep moving to put distance between yourself and all the horrible things ...more
Robin
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April is 16 years old, a budding singer/songwriter and living alone in a motorless motor home in Little River, NY.
Finding few prospects ahead of her and fewer reasons to stick around, she sets out for a wide open world of possibilities.
What’s ahead for April includes plenty of loneliness, heartbreak, and painful decisions. But, she also cobbles together a life for herself and people to treasure.
Not all the parts of April are likable, but she is sharp and scrappy—really special. Allison Larkin
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Our friends become our chosen family.
It’s only January, but I am confident this will be in my top list of 2021. I connected with April, the main character, and found it easy to root for her even when she didn’t make the best decisions. She had real character growth, which is admirable for someone with her background. It took her a few years to figure it out, but what 16 year old with a mom who abandoned her and a crappy dad who never even celebrated Christmas with her would have their head on st
Kat
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
*I was provided with an advance copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Wow...this book! This was only my second book of the year, and I can already tell it will be one of my favorites. I haven't read anything else by this author, but will certainly keep an eye out for her other novels. I finished it in a day, and keep catching myself thinking back on it, and how it was equally heartbreaking and uplifting.

I loved the tenacity of the main character, April, and the
Beatriz
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
We are a collection of stories, memories, chance encounters, and mistakes. We are the choices and the people we keep along the way. Allison Larkin reminds us all of this in her beautifully written novel that sweeps us into April’s life. April’s loneliness is felt profoundly throughout her journey, which makes each of her encounters with the people she meets along the way even more impactful. April’s love for Bob Dylan, the ocean, and her fortitude will stay with me for a long time. The book is d ...more
Jenna Schering
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this heart wrenching story of a young girl who learns what family and home mean to her. You walk away reminded of the value of the people in your own life that you choose and choose you in return.
Richard Propes
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
The April Sawicki that we meet in the opening pages of Allison Larkin's "The People We Keep" isn't a particularly likable young woman.

Sometimes, that's what life does to you.

She's a teenager living in a broken down motorhome set apart from a similarly broken down, absent father who's affections seem constantly turned elsewhere. She has a boyfriend who's vision of their future is unappealing at best. She lives in a small town where there's no escaping this is her reality.

Until she decides she'
Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As I am not a huge fan of character-driven novels, when one truly connects with me and moves me, I tend to be very impressed. Although I am a fan of Allison Larkin from her past novels, this one is a departure from those penned under her Allie Larkin name. The People We Keep is much more Literary Fiction than Women's Fiction in my opinion and it is executed extremely well. With a female protagonist that the reader can really support and root for, even through all her faults and missteps, the nov ...more
Jacqueline
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really fell in love with the main character of this novel. At 16, April is alone, officially abandoned by her mother and cast aside by her father who is eyeing a new wife/ new life/ new family with no room for the one he already has. Rather than stay trapped in a small town with no future, she strikes out on her own, piecing together a life while traveling from place to place playing gigs where she can find them. Along the way, she meets people worth "keeping," but is scared and unsure, and ne ...more
Christine
Home is what you make it, and family are the people you choose.

The PEOPLE WE KEEP is an unflinchingly realistic story about vulnerability and human connection.

April, our self-sufficient but deeply lonely protagonist, has fended for herself from a very young age. She's been disadvantaged at nearly every turn and abandoned by parents who treat her as an inconvenience.

Driven to a breaking point, she leaves her hometown with nothing to lose and no safety net, in search of something better. We see
Rachel Askew
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
The title couldn’t be more perfect! The author weaves an emotional story of a girl who is determined to take life’s trials and make something of them. She’s dealt the worst hand in life and yet picks herself up again and again and doesn’t quit. The way her family reveals itself is so perfect.

The first half was a bit slow and the writing style is not always my favorite. There are many characters, which sometimes makes it hard to keep track. Still, you’ll be crying at the end.

Thanks to NetGalley
Danielle
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
April is a teenager living pretty much by herself in a rundown motorhome after being abandoned by her mother as a young child and her father now mostly off living with his girlfriend. She hates school and has dreams of becoming a musical star, so when she sees the chance she takes off to get out of her small, oppressive town in upstate New York. I really liked this book. This was one of those books where I felt like the author was really good about setting the scene. I could really picture the p ...more
Michelle
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Was anyone else reminded of Jodi Picoult's book The Book of Two Ways when they saw the cover?

This is one of those books that's beautifully written but also hurts a little bit. We follow April's journey of friendship, love, and regret. I particularly enjoyed Margo and Ethan's characters and felt that they added richness to the story.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Rossi
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about a strong willed teen who grows up feeling abandoned, but searching for meaning. Casual but fun prose and compulsively readable, like a beach read with a tiny bit more depth. I wanted to shake April for some of her relationship choices and grew a little weary of her lack of willingness to face her lies. But overall, like that the themes of the book tied together nicely, especially as it came to a close.

Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy.
Beth
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book. April feels so real, from the emotional damage that's been inflicted on her by her absentee parents to the urge to resist intimate friendships and relationships when she falls into them. There's so much depth with undercurrents about what it means to choose your family, poverty vs. wealth, freedom, etc. ...more
Kayla Crone
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: feb-tbr
Overall it was an okay read. The first half was pretty slow some things got interesting but also boring. The writing style felt kinda dull to me.. This book was a very raw read.
Tracy
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book about a young girl who strikes out on her own at age 16, feeling like she has nothing in the world other than her guitar. She manages to find a community of people along the way.
Kristy
Gallery Books
Jan 25, 2021

• Malibu Rising
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • Winter Street (Winter, #1)
  • Blush
  • Six Weeks to Live
  • The Last Thing He Told Me
  • We Were Never Here
  • This Secret Thing: A Novel
  • No Offense (Little Bridge Island, #2)
  • The Summer of Lost and Found