Start by marking “Six Weeks to Live” as Want to Read:

Six Weeks to Live

A gripping psychological suspense novel about a woman diagnosed with cancer who sets out to discover if someone poisoned her before her time is up

Jennifer Barnes never expected the shocking news she received at a routine doctor’s appointment: she has a terminal brain tumor—and only six weeks left to live.

While stunned by the diagnosis, the forty-eight-year-old mother decid
Expected publication: May 4th 2021 by Atria Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 04, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win an advanced copy of SIX WEEKS TO LIVE, the gripping psychological suspense novel from Catherine McKenzie, bestselling author ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3633 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 15 - Jan 31, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Six Weeks to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Weeks to Live

Start your review of Six Weeks to Live
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Are you fan of classic black and white thriller movies like me? Did you watch D. O. A. ( 1949)? It’s a story of a man named Frank Bigelow who has been poisoned and he has only few days to live! Clock is ticking and he has to find the perpetrator who commit this crime and the reason behind it! There’s also remake on the movie which was shot on 1988, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan were the leading actors. But I truly recommend the original movie!

This book’s plot line is reminding me of that movie. Bu
    Catherine McKenzie
    Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    Shelves: my-books
    I am so excited to announce the publication of my 11th novel, SIX WEEKS TO LIVE! It's coming out May 4, 2021! I hope you like and it and please consider adding it to your to-read shelf! ...more
    Jamie
    Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Holy Cow!!! This book is a wild ride! From the very first page I was hooked and drawn into the story! Catherine McKenzie is definitely a favorite and must read author for me!
    Jennifer has just been told she has 6 weeks to live because of brain cancer. Looking over her lab results she sees some unusual things- could someone have poisoned her? One of her triplet daughters or her ex husband?

This book is full of twists and even though I figured out the who dun it it didn’t take away from the story,
    Hannah Mary McKinnon
    Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    In SIX WEEKS TO LIVE, Catherine McKenzie readily demonstrates what a deft storyteller she is. Suspicion reigns supreme in this twisted and sinister domestic suspense, and your allegiances are guaranteed to shift faster than a ping-pong match. Cleverly plotted and expertly paced, with an ending that’s sure to have you gasping out loud. Do yourself a favour and pop this on your 2021 reading list now.
    David
    Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Every book by Catherine McKenzie is a treat! Don't miss this one! ...more
    Maximilian Birner
    Dec 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Sounds intriguing, I really enjoyed McKenzie's I'll Never Tell , and this one sounds right up my alley. ...more
    Kimberly Belle
    Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Six Weeks to Live begins with a gut-punch of an opener: a poisoning with a fatal diagnosis, a woman with a mere six weeks to find the killer. Grief, secrets, revenge, guilt and blame…McKenzie weaves them all with a deft hand, turning up the heat with every page. A gripping page-turner that held me captive until the shocking end.
    Nancy
    Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    So I would read Catherine McKenzie's shopping list although it probably wouldn't have an interesting storyline. I just love the way this author develops her characters and intertwines subplots. This one is a little darker than her previous books but contains the common theme of exploring relationships. As the blurb on the book explains, Jennifer finds she has 6-8 weeks to live due to an aggressive cancer in the brain. The book explores the complexity of relationships between Jennifer, her cheati ...more
    Anne
    Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I love McKenzie's books but it's hard to review this one because I'm still so mad at one character that I'm having trouble letting go! Yes, we're all flawed but this family has more than enough for everyone! The 48-year-old mother discovers she has a terminal brain tumor and has six weeks to live. But then she notices an anomaly in her blood tests that suggest heavy traces of lead. Could she have been poisoned? Her ex-husband and new young wife immediately come to mind. Her triplet daughters and ...more
    Maureen
    Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This one is dark and very twisty. Jennifer, mother of grown triplets, finds out she has brain cancer. With six weeks to live, she begins making amends with her family. She also discovers she had lead poisoning. She begins sleuthing to determine how she was poisoned. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to be an early reader in exchange for my review.
    Kali Thomas
    Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Secrets, family drama, lies, and did I say SECRETS? Six Weeks to Live has it all. I'm afraid if I discuss the plot, I'll spoil it. Instead, let me just say that this is one of the best mystery/thriller books I've read all year. It's a little uncomfortable at times and you might find yourself angry at just about everyone, but that is just another reason I loved it. It felt real and in my opinion, any book in this genre should make you think, "wow, what if that happened to me?"

Thanks to NetGalley
    Coley
    Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020, arc
    In this fast-paced psychological thriller, 48 year old Jennifer finds herself diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, giving her only 6 weeks to live. She breaks the news to her 25 year old triplet daughters, Emily, Miranda and Aline as well as her estranged husband Jake on the same evening she finds out her diagnosis. But Jennifer also discovers that months ago, a routine blood panel showed sky-high levels of lead in her system — these levels that could very well be responsible for her curren ...more
    Wanda
    Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
    A dark and suspenseful mystery that did not disappoint. Between all the dysfunctional family drama and the multiple unreliable narrators I had no idea who the bad guy - or girl – really was, or if the victim was even a victim at all. The tension just kept building as layers of secrets and lies gave way to reveal the shocking truth. This kept me up late because I absolutely could not sleep until I knew how it ended.

My thanks to Goodreads Giveaways for the ARC this review was based on.
    Samantha Bailey
    Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    In SIX WEEKS TO LIVE, her eleventh novel, Catherine McKenzie masterfully spins an exceptional story that is darkly funny, poignant, and grippingly suspenseful. A fresh take on the who-done-it, this addictive novel will both tug at your heart strings and make you frantically flip the pages to unlock the key to the mystery. A mesmerizing read!
    Jessica
    Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 1-read-in-2021
    Another great read from Catherine McKenzie! I really liked the alternative perspectives from the family throughout the book as the layers were peeled back. It kept me guessing near to the end.

I received an advanced copy as a Goodreads giveaway winner.
    Diane Merritt
    Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Oooh so much going on...great twist I didn't see that coming at all. Couldn't put this one down such a draw you in and hold your attention book.
    Great read

Thanks to the Author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.
    Barbara White
    Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I'm a huge Catherine McKenzie fan, and she keeps getting better and better. This compelling psychological thriller--littered with secrets, lies, half-remember truths, and guilt--starts and ends with a twisted bang. Who's the most reliable narrator in this deeply dysfunctional family; who's telling the truth; and who wants Jennifer to die a slow, horrible death from lead poisoning--and why? Once you start reading, you'll be hooked until you discover the answers. Outstanding. ...more
    Janet
    Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Date reviewed/posted: January 1, 2021 (ISBN 9781982137564)
    Date reviewed/posted: January 4, 2021 (slightly different version: ISBN 9781982159214)

Publication date: May 4, 2021

When life for the entire universe and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, AND the worst sciatica attack in your life means you MIGHT sleep 3 hours a night, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book
    Caroline Bartlett
    Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Check out my full review here: https://www.howdidthatbookend.com/six...

This is my second Catherine McKenzie book, and I have loved every word of both.

Six Weeks to Live does an amazing job of exploring familial relationships, how family copes with grief, and how we don’t always know those who are closest to us. I loved Catherine McKenzie’s development of these characters and their relationships to each other, especially from the triplet angle. These characters are compelling and relatable, and I
    Jeff
    Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Ironic, But Explaining That Is Spoilery. My singular biggest takeaway from this book is just how *HIGHLY* ironic it turns out to be. But explaining that involves discussing specifics of the ending of the book, and thus isn't something I'm going to do in a review. Just not my style. At all.

What I *can* tell you about this book is that for the most part, you've got your expected Catherine McKenzie level mystery here. By which I mean there will be all kinds of twists and turns. Secrets all over th
    Melody
    Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Six Weeks to Live by Catherine McKenzie is a mystery about a wife/mother/grandmother who finds out she has a brain tumor and only has six weeks to live. While looking through her medical history, she discovers that she may have been poisoned a year earlier and that may be what led to her glioblastoma. Who could have poisoned her? Her husband that is seeking a divorce? Her triplet daughters that discover some disturbing secrets regarding their mother? This book was well-written and well-paced, an ...more
    Barbara Hughes
    Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to the author and publisher for the ARC of this magnificent book.

This was a truly mesmerizing book. It twists and turns throughout, including the ending, which I really didn't see coming. When I read a book like this that reveals a problematic childhood, I realize how lucky I was to grow up as I did without any trauma. But this book is worth your while to read. Jennifer realizes her faults and her strengths during her last 6 weeks of life.
    Dana
    Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: won
    This is a bit of a twister - mom, soon to be ex husband, triplet daughters and a death sentence of glioblastoma - what more could a woman want? How about lab reports showing a high level of arsenic along with the diagnosis. Be ready for a sad ride with a woman facing death, trying to fix wrongs of the past, all the while trying to figure out who would want her dead - besides the obvious hubs! Be prepared for a very surprise ending -
    Cathy
    Shelves: giveaway-wins
    This was an ARC giveaway win (softcover), so thank you Catherine McKenzie and Atria Books. This was a page turner! Lots of twists & turns. I didn't care for any of the characters (except her friend) but I think that is intentional because this is one dysfunctional family. I like the author's writing style. I found only a couple of editing errors. ...more
    Danielle Berg
    Shelves: owned, netgalley
    Thank you netgalley and publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book. This is my first book by this author and definitely won’t be my last. This was a fun read with a definite expiration stamp. There were a few twists and turns, a lot of deceit, and a semi unexpected ending. Will definitely recommend to others!
    Darreth Naylor
    Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Really interesting family drama with some suspense. Solid 4 stars, immediately you know every person in this family has secrets and it was a great ride getting to the end to unravel all their stories. Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read it!
    Heidi Sandiford
    Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Interesting read about a woman who is given 6 weeks to live. She believes she has been deliberately poisoned. She suspects her ex-husband and enlists the help of her triplet daughters to confirm her suspicion. But all is not simple and the triplets seem to have their own reasons for possibly poisoning their mother. A whodunnit with many twists. Entertaining....
    Crystal Rees
    Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Wow, wow, wow. What a deeply disturbing thriller. I thought I had it figured out a couple of time and boom there's a twist. I couldn't put this book down and became deeply invested in the truth of the story. What a complex family dynamic. So good. So recommended.

Thank you NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for this ARC
    Karen Gail Brown
    Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Jennifer has inoperable brain cancer and perhaps 6 weeks to live. This is the story of those last weeks and the emotional effect on Jennifer's triplets and her mother. It is an emotional roller coaster as she tries to get to the truth of her illness before she dies. ...more
    Michelle
    Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    How much do you trust your family, and yourself? Told from different perspectives, this had an interesting premise and kept me invested in the outcome. This would be a great choice for a book club.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

• Every Last Fear
    • Take It Back
    • People Like Her
    • Mother May I
    • The Birthday Weekend
    • We Thought We Knew You: A Terrifying True Story of Secrets, Betrayal, Deception, and Murder
    • The Power Couple
    • The Babysitter: My Summers with a Serial Killer
    Catherine McKenzie was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. A graduate of McGill in History and Law, Catherine practiced law in Montreal for twenty years before retiring to write full time. An avid runner and skier, she's the author of numerous bestsellers including HIDDEN, FRACTURED, THE GOOD LIAR and I'LL NEVER TELL. Her works have been translated into multiple languages.

In 2019, I'LL NEVER TELL