Start by marking “Together We Will Go” as Want to Read:

Together We Will Go

The Breakfast Club meets The Silver Linings Playbook in this powerful, provocative, and heartfelt novel about twelve endearing strangers who come together to make the most of their final days, from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author J. Michael Straczynski.

Mark Antonelli, a failed young writer looking down the barrel at thirty, is planning a cro
Expected publication: July 6th 2021 by Gallery/Scout Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jul 06, 2021
    Tragic, funny, quirky, charming, and deeply moving, TOGETHER WE WILL GO is the latest work from NYT bestselling author J. Michael Straczynski

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3546 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 21 - Jul 05, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Together We Will Go, please sign up.
    MBP Direct quote from the book (spoken by a character): "Kind of like The Breakfast Club with death, y'know?"…moreDirect quote from the book (spoken by a character): "Kind of like The Breakfast Club with death, y'know?"(less)

Start your review of Together We Will Go
    Farrah
    Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Wow, what an outstanding book!
    It's important to know that 𝙏𝙤𝙜𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙒𝙚 𝙒𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙂𝙤 takes an unflinching look at both suicide and assisted suicide. It's not a book I would recommend to just anyone but I think those who can handle the subject matter will appreciate it.

𝘍𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘔𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘱𝘶𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘥 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘦'𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘢 𝘣𝘶𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘚𝘢𝘯 𝘍𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘤𝘰 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘢 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘨𝘦, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘱𝘪𝘤𝘬 𝘶𝘱 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘫𝘰𝘪𝘯 𝘩𝘪𝘮 𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘺.
    𝘔𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘶
    Jayme
    May 17, 2021 rated it liked it

Hidden within the pages of Personals section is an ad placed by a failed writer, who has chosen to end his life.

He is seeking “like -minded” people who want to take a cross country trip with him on a beat-up school bus, which will end with flying off of a cliff at sunset when they reach San Francisco.

There is one stipulation-each must write their story-explaining their decision and relinquishing the rights to it-and each must sign an legally binding agreement.

We get to know this interesting a
    Susanne  Strong
    Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    Review also published on blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

Brilliant, Heart-Wrenching and So Very Unexpected.

A group of strangers come together for a road trip with only one destination: The end of the road.

For these strangers, either their lives didn’t turn out as they expected or things seem utterly hopeless and when an opportunity arises, to face the end together, they decide to take it.

Mark is a writer who never got that big break. Having always felt like a failure, he is the o
    Christine
    Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Christine by: Susanne Strong
    4.5 stars rounded to 5 stars

I’ve been on a bit of a kick these days choosing books with a psychological theme, so no surprise that this title grabbed me when I saw it on Net Galley. Good pick! I raced through it in 4 days, which is fast for me.

Wow. I have to say this is the most unique book I have read in quite a while. If I can find something that ticks the three requisite boxes, then I’ve succeeded in selecting a good one. First, all the feels. Check! Second, I learn something. Oh yes—check! T
    Carolyn Walsh
    May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for this heartfelt book in return for an honest review. This is about a cross-country bus journey like no other. Marc is a young aspiring writer who is discouraged after receiving rejection slips from publishers. He has a plan. He purchases a rickety old bus and hires a combative ex-soldier, Dylan, to drive it. He runs an ad asking for passengers who want to commit suicide in a spectacular manner. The intent is to drive the bus to San Francisco and ...more
    Catherine Woodward
    Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
    **Many thanks to NetGalley, Gallery/Scout, and J. Michael Straczynski for an ARC of this book!!**

You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal. Does that answer your question?

These immortal words close out the iconic John Hughes' film The Breakfast Club. Together We Will Go touts itself as Breakfast Club meets Silver Lining
    Melissa ~ Bantering Books
    Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

Together We Will Go caught me off guard. It’s a bit sunnier than I expected it to be. Not as heavy.

I mean, a story about 12 strangers on a bus, road-tripping across the country together for the sole purpose of driving straight off the edge of a cliff?!?! That’s dark, right?

In the capable hands of J. Michael Straczynski, though, it’s not. Or rather, it’s not as dark as it could be.

Written in an epistolary style that includes audio tr
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    I haven’t been so sad for a long time after finishing a book! It deeply affected me! Those impressive, genuine, dazzling character compositions could break anyone’s heart even the cold, merciless ones’ !

OMG! I loved a few of them a lot! I personally wished to have powers to cure them or do something magical to take away their pain! Karen, Lisa, Dylan (he’s the driver, not the part of suicide pact) , Tyler, Sunny Shanelle, Zeke, Theo were my favorite ones!

Struggling author Marc Antonelli, 29 ,
    Theresa Alan
    Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This is a novel about people who want to commit suicide. Some have chronic or fatal illnesses, some are depressed. You would think a novel about a group of people who cross the country on a tour bus to commit suicide would be depressing, but there is humor. The main narrator, Mark, is a failed novelist with tons of student debt and a degree in writing that doesn’t enable him to get a job that pays a living wage. While he has a lot of grim things to say about student loans and the impossibility o ...more
    Cheri

In addition to being the author of this novel, Together We Will Go, J. Michael Straczynski is also a screenwriter for both television and film, a producer and director, in addition to being a comic book writer. I’d list some of the films and television series he’s been involved with, but it would take pages.

A story of a gathering of a disparate assortment of people who only seem to have one thing in common, but over time recognize that the things they have in common are more than just their com
    Martie Nees Record
    Mar 31, 2021 rated it liked it
    Genre: Contemporary Fiction
    Publisher: Gallery/Scout Press
    Pub. Date: July 6, 2021

While reading the book I was not aware that J. Micahel Straczynski, is the co-creator of many TV shows including “Babylon 5: The Lost Tales.” Even without this knowledge, I could tell that he is a talented and funny writer. “Together We Will Go” is a tragic comedy. I say this because the novel looks at the reasons why people commit suicide yet, the author will make you laugh time and time again. He manages to do this
    James
    Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    (Also published at my blog, https://jamesgenrebooks.blogspot.com/.... Reposted in its entirety here, since it is an ARC review)

I have no idea is goodreads adds the standard boilerplate to the review or not, but since Blogger doesn't: I won an Advance Reader Copy (ARC) of this book for an honest review of it prior to publication.

I hate to use what may seem like a flippant title for this post, given it takes away from the serious nature of the topic, but frankly, one of my defense mechanisms is
    Barred Owl Books
    Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    A character-driven book that sinks the characters deep into your heart. Attached to them and their stories, I laughed and cried my way through this book.

Be warned this book is about suicide which is not an easy topic.

Straczynski is an amazing author and this book does not disappoint.
    Kasa Cotugno
    I've shelved this and backburnered it. The subject matter is too sad to be reading now when the real news is so disturbing. Maybe later. It's well written and compelling, but not for me right now. ...more
    Judy
    Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This book is unique, at least I've never read anything similar. I found it fascinating, charming, sad, and enlightening. The characters are quirky and interesting. No matter how you feel about the right to choose to take your own life, it will at least open your eyes to what some of the motivations might be.

Mark, a struggling author at almost 30 years old, is suffering from chronic depression. He keeps submitting works and gets rejected all the time. He decides to organize a trip: he rents a bu
    Cindy Stone
    Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
    This book may not appeal to everyone and I know I was initially forcing myself to read it because it deals with suicide and reasons why people might be driven to that extreme. However, the more I got into the book, the more I could identify with and empathize with those who boarded the bus. An unusual format with people "signing in" to a onboard recorder, so to speak, to explain why they were there and their backgrounds, but it was never confusing. I always knew who was "speaking." Not everyone ...more
    Donna Foster
    Jun 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: review
    Important and totally worth it to hang in there and read this story to the very last page.
    Katherina Martin
    Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    First, thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. This book will suck you in. It will make you think..A lot ..about life and how other people live and deal with their lives. It is about suicide and the book has the potential to anger a reader and set off emotional triggers. I don’t know that I would recommend it for someone who has been close to anyone that has entertained or committed suicide. It is a very good book and well-written. It explains why some people fall in ...more
    Ashlin Edmisten
    Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: acrc, fiction, 2021
    Struggling in more ways than one, twenty-something writer Mark comes up with a twisted but brilliant idea, using an online classified ad to gather like-minded folks in a cross-country party bus trip/suicide pact. By getting on the bus, everyone agrees to submit electronic journal entries of their journey to the end. Throughout the journey the passengers bare their hearts, souls, fears, and joys. A description I read called the book The Breakfast Club meets Silver Linings Playbook and that's not ...more
    Dianne
    Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Unique. Emotional. Unexpected. Sad. Happy.

You already know that this book is about suicide so you can't be upset if you read this book and then want to complain!

The characters are as complex as their reasons are to end their lives. I was totally invested and immersed in each character and I actually wish that their book had been longer so we could see the ramifications of those who chose a different path.

The writing is unique since we have a variety of styles-instant messages, journals, reco
    Eva
    May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
    I’ve loved J. Michael Straczynski’s writing ever since I was a 12-year-old sci-fi nerd obsessed with Babylon 5. (If you’ve never seen it, check it out – the 90s styling and visual effects might look a bit dated now, but the storytelling 100% holds up.) When I found out he had a new book coming out, I knew I had to read it. And I was even more excited to see it on Netgalley!

I’m going to come out in the very beginning and announce Content Warning: Suicide for this novel. If this is a topic that t
    A Reading Nest
    Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
    First and foremost, the content provided in the review and book may be triggering. Topics within the book are suicide, drug abuse & use, self-harm, rape, and assisted suicide. Second, I am not being paid to review this book. This is an honest reflection of how I felt reading and finishing Together We Will Go.

Mark, an aspiring and failing writer, embarks on a cross-country journey with the end result of dying by suicide. He buys a low-end tour bus and takes out an ad for people to join him on hi
    Ian Davis
    Apr 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley-arcs
    Well.....this book messed me up.

Book Review
    J. Michael Straczynski
    Out July 6, 2021
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This book is not for everyone. It is honest, painful, heartbreaking, beautiful, and unflinching. It follows a group of strangers that have all decided they are finished with life, and come together to take one last road trip that will complete with them driving over the edge of a cliff...

This book was a lot of different things: shockingly funny at times, incredibly engaging, genuinely uniq
    Beverly
    Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: first-reads, 2021
    I won a copy of "Together We Will Go" on Goodreads First Reads. It's about a group of people who come together to commit suicide and are going to drive a bus into the ocean over a cliff at sunset. Their journey is funny and sad and moving. ...more
    sarah
    Jun 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Mark, a depressingly unsuccessful writer, posts an invitation online for a cross-country suicide road trip. Aboard an old tour bus with a hired driver named Dylan (who has no intention of dying; he’s quite literally just there to drive), they pick up hopeless individuals as they journey to San Francisco where they plan to _yeet_ off a cliff to their willful demise.

Written in a multimedia format, this story is dark, hilarious, adventurous, and filled with friendship and love, sometimes all withi
    Gina Moltz
    Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Together We Will Go tackles a tough subject with both empathy and humor. A group of people planning on committing suicide doesn’t sound fun but this group managed to find fun and love along the way. You learn the many reasons people believe suicide is their only option. While you may not agree with these guys, you cannot help but root for them. This book gives you a lot to think about.
    Tonya
    Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
    A honest look into the taboo thoughts, feelings, guilt, fear, and hope of suicide. "Together We Will Go" had some unexpected twists and turns, characters that you couldn't help but find yourself attached to, and provided an unexpected glimpse into the reality of millennials. ...more
    Bonnye Reed
    Feb 17, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    Netgalley
    pub date July 6, 2021
    Gallery/Scout Press
    Susan Warr
    Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This book was not at all what I expected. I laughed and cried. The souls whose lives were laid bare in the book will follow me for a very long time. I feel it necessary to say, if you are thinking of suicide, please get help. That said, this book is a movie waiting to happen.
    Sandra
    May 07, 2021 added it
    Shelves: never-finished
    I don’t feel I can rate this book because I ended up stopping pretty early on. I skimmed through and read the end, and felt my choice was the right one for me. I didn’t care for the characters (they all came across as immature and/or not well-developed). So for me this is a 1-star book, but as I didn’t really read it I can’t say for sure it doesn’t have some more redeeming parts.
    « previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Startup Wife
    • The Plot
    • In a Holidaze
    • White Ivy
    Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and showrunne ...more